Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

The police went in and rescued their own kids,and let others to die

I dont see how anyone could have anything but contempt for them after that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The Czech constitution doesn't give the right to 'bear' arms. It's a right to self defence. It's limited. But, you do win today's trivia prize for finding this.

The change is merely symbolic, indeed. It is understood that the amendment of the Charter does not create a standalone right to bear arms, nor does it alter the Czech legal order in any other way. From a practical perspective, the amendment has not made it easier for anyone in Czechia obtain a weapon legally. The new constitutional guarantee is only provided ‘under the conditions laid down by law’, and the underlying legal regulation has remained unchanged. T

In fact, what this is, is allows the Czech government to legislate around gun ownership, which would be sunlit uplands should US law be changed that way. Imagine, elected officials being able to legislate about something as dangerous as gun ownership...

And, as I thought, the Tx police, if they had found the janitor and the key to the classroom where the maniac was holed up sooner, might've saved a few children's lives.

Rumours are that the police that had children in the school went in and got them, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You've done a bit of Googling but you really haven't a clue about the gun laws in Ireland. You are right about automatic firearms being illegal here in Ireland. That's about all you were right about. Even the stuff you copied and pasted, I don't think you actually fully understand it as you contradict yourself constantly.

Banning automatic firearms won't stop mass shootings given that there are very very few mass shootings carried out with an automatic firearm. Mostly pistols and semiautomatic firearms are used. Fully automatic firearms are very heavily regulated in the US.

You also don't seem to know about the constitutional right to bear arms in the US. You might as well be standing on top of a hill calling for 'World Peace' as calling for all guns to be made illegal in the US (which you did in your quote directly below).

If no more were sold and the weapons that were out there made a criminal offence punishable by a couple of decades in prison - unless returned - then you'd see serious crime figures plummet, and mass shootings become a thing of the past over the course of the next decade or two.

Serious question regarding your quote above. How do you go about taking back 400,000,000 guns from the US populace?

There'd be civil war if that was tried. There'd be very few people in law enforcement who would fancy going around confiscating them and most of them wouldn't make it home at night after a day's work. I'm fairly confident a large percentage of the population would hand them over, bullets first, at extremely high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Total load of rubbish and made up nonsense. No wonder so many people have taken umbrage with you on this thread.

It's been explained to you thoroughly, but you just carry on being in denial in your la la land.

Guns cause deaths. Take guns away then deaths by guns stops. Understand? Obviously you don't. And I notice you conveniently avoided answering what your solution would be.

Hardly anyone in the whole of Ireland owns a handgun unless it's for sporting purposes or farm use or pest control. And I doubt anyone at all owns a semi or fully automatic weapon. All guns, other than those for the uses quoted above, are ILLEGAL in Ireland.

Don't bother replying again. I've got far better things to do than waste my time with someone who cant accept they are wrong and continually posts nonsense. You need to grow up.

Support the USA Constitution man. Yeah. Right on.

• Advertisement

Re: taking back guns

Make sale of new restricted/regulated,require all to be registered and then buy back the guns are well over odds prices.....it always strikes me as your average american loves money/luxury more than guns....while it wont end,and many will retain their weapons

It would end this,but it will take huge amount out of circulation.....the people who will introduce gun-control to america are the generation who have to do active shooter drills,while in school and wont want it to be necessary or a risk for their kids

I'm actually fine with making it a little more difficult to get a firearm, although I wouldn't go as far as banning certain types of guns.

Mention banning guns and you'll see what the average American loves. When there was a threat of a gun ban following Sandy Hook, gun sales increased by 3,000,000 when compared to typical sales levels. Many of the purchasers were first time gun owners.

The problem is that many people equate gun control with the banning of guns. Clearly that approach won't work in the US as many people are very entrenched in their right to bear arms. I actually don't think there's an appetite for getting rid of 2A.

Go for mandatory gun registration first, in all states. Even getting that across the line will be difficult but it is possibly achievable. That'd be a good start.

This curtailment of guns and likely banning/over regulating of military grade or automatic weapons is an inevitability....people who gone through these last few years in particular,wont want their kids to go through the same

America is weird,in that its poltical leadership is really old (trump,biden,polosi,sanders) and simply cant hold onto power forever and some reasons to believe the box-ticking of targeting demographics on ethicity is pettering out....the next 10 to 15 years,will see an inevitable upheavel in american political life,theres an appitide for change there for whomever wishes to grasp it......10 years,that gun control beto guy career would been over,but not anymore....they may never reach normal levels of gun control,but this effective free-for-all isnt gonna last imo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've heard that but I'd wait and see if it's true or not before basing any opinions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Another one who's smug in what he thinks he knows.

You also don't seem to know about the constitutional right to bear arms in the US. You might as well be standing on top of a hill calling for 'World Peace' as calling for all guns to be made illegal in the US (which you did in your quote directly below).

I'm fully aware of all aspects of the USA constitutional right to bear arms. And I would think everyone with more than a single brain cell is also aware of it.

you really haven't a clue about the gun laws in Ireland

I know a lot more about it than you. And if you knew the industry I was in then you'd understand why.

Almost all registered civilian firearms in Ireland are sporting shotguns and hunting rifles. In 2009 the private possession of handguns was curtailed. Licensing of all pistols and revolvers using centrefire ammunition was capped through 'grandfathering,' with new licences restricted to a limited range of small-calibre .22 rimfire handguns and .177 air pistols.

Serious question regarding your quote above. How do you go about taking back 400,000,000 guns from the US populace?

I've never said you could. Why are you making things up?

What I said was that would be the only guaranteed solution to stop mass killings in the US. But I acknowledged - in 2 separate posts - that this will never happen. As quoted below: 

• Of course this will never happen. People will scream about their right to "bear arms", the NRA have a vice like grip on politics and Republicans will veto anything the Democrats try to do.
    • A blanket gun ban and amnesty would be the only solution. Sporting and hunting licences would have to be stringently assessed and approved. But as I've said earlier in the thread, this won't happen and we'll continue to read about more and more children and young adults cut down in their prime.

Now I'm out of this thread. A handful of smug know-it-all's on here who want to pounce on any small point and twist the facts, leaves a somewhat sour taste in the mouth. Some people don't know what civil discussion and debate is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Another problem is that the American Right, the Republicans and the NRA have formed an unholy alliance and politicised the issue to a massive degree. The issue of gun control could be perfectly manageable but not when you have the right wing, conservative half of the country politicising it to this degree - it's long since ceased having anything to do with 'freedoms' or 'self defence' only....it's just as much about getting one over on the other side.

(It should be stressed though that probably even quite a few Democrat voters are gun owners, so the whole culture is a bit effed up).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Please point specifically what I’m my post that was “nonsense”. Or don’t whatever, we both you you can’t. Everything you’ve said is ignorant waffle.

Handguns in Ireland for pest control and farming? Thanks for proving you haven’t got a clue, once again. firearms in Ireland require a legitimate reason for ownership. Neither of those would be legal reasons for a handgun. If you actually read the website you linked you’d get there. No semi-automatic firearms in Ireland? Again. Wrong buddy.

Saying something is illegal “except for the legal uses” is quite the contradiction. Well done. I haven’t offered to a solution because I’m not so stupid as to think a magic solution exists. It’s a highly complex issue.

where have I supported the US constitution? I’m pointing out that it exists. Is that really so hard to grasp? I dont agree with it. But I’m not going to ignore it’s existence like an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

No probably about it. There are millions of Democrats who own guns.

Also saying its only the right who are politicising guns is obviously and clearly untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

A choice of better word for "interim" in this context would come from the list including: "crazy", "self-defeating" or even "non".

Look, the rest of the democratic world has copped on to what needs to be done. Only America holds out with the nonsense that it is normal for a society to allow anyone who so wishes to wander around with a loaded gun as part of their everyday business. The evidence as to why that is stupid is abundant. But they don't want to give up their myth that a permanently armed populace is the only way to safeguard "liberty" from the excesses of a "tyrannical government."

That's the worst thing about America: they have no faith in democracy, society or the rule of law.

There are many great things about America that much of the rest of the world embraces, worships and tries to emulate. There are even some bad things that America has given to the world about which the rest of the world may complain but still indulges itself in like a guilty pleasure. (McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Starbucks: we know this crap is bad for us but we still guzzle it down like it was going out of fashion because it's delicious)

But the right "to keep AND BEAR arms"? Forget it. No democracy anywhere in the world denies its citizens the first of those rights; very few grant the second.

Long may it continue. In this little democracy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’ve no idea what industry you are in. Nor do I care as I dint see how it’s relevant. But I’m pretty sure sure it’s nothing to do with firearms as you contradicting yourself all over the place by copy and pasting.

You’ve literally said that firearms were illegal in Ireland (nope). Handguns were using gi farming and pest control. (Nope). Then correctly said that nearly in Ireland all were were shotguns and rifles. Which contradicts the earlier claims.

But clearly you fail to realise that the majority of firearms in the US are long guns (rifles and shotguns).

The state of illinois has some of the strictest gun laws in the US yet violent crime using firearms is out of control in Chicago.

Multiple shootings every day of the week. If I lived in Chicago I would keep a gun in my house for protection. Looking at the crime statistics it's clear the police can't "save " everyone.

That goes for America as a whole. Its a violent place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's no different to the US, where the right is not unfettered by law, despite the vocal claims of some more extreme positions. I don't believe in any case is a right entirely free of legislative restrictions. Indeed, in many cases, such as in Texas, there is specific mention of legislative regulation in the constitutional provision. In US terms, Czechia is a "shall issue" jurisdiction, meet the requirements and there is no discretion for the government to deny a permit.

I know a lot more about it than you. And if you knew the industry I was in then you'd understand why.

Genuinely curious to know what industry this was? Military, Gardai, Law? Are you willing to let us know?

But anyway, rather than hide behind some unnamed industry here's some of the reasons I reckon I know what I'm talking about. I'm a target shooter. I've owned guns for the past 30 years and have been shooting them for about 40 years. I own pretty much every type of gun you've mentioned earlier in this thread, both restricted and unrestricted. I've shot in National and International Competitions.

Funnily enough, I also have a law degree (although I don't work in the legal field) which means I have a better than average chance at understanding firearms legislation. I won't claim to know it all as nobody in Ireland knows it all given that there are near 30 Acts and SI's etc covering firearms legislation and finding them isn't an easy task. Believe it or not but there is even some firearms legislation hidden in one of our traffic acts. I'd consider myself akin to a rugby player. They'd be expected to know the rules of the game. Similarly, I make it my business to know the rules (laws) of my game.

Now maybe you do know more than I know, and good for you if you do. But given what you've posted, I remain unconvinced.

You've said a pile of stuff that's clearly wrong and are throwing a hissy fit because someone called you on it. All it looks like is that you've Googled some info and now you think you are an expert on the firearms laws here. Feel free to correct me on that. And if I'm wrong, I'll apologise.

You said things that are inaccurate and when you are corrected, you accuse a few of us of being smug and twisting the facts. In a civil discussion, it isn't uncivilised to point out when someone says something that isn't true.

Like clockwork, GQP bring up Chicago. Fummy how that started when a POTUS of color from there was elected

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, calling for tighter gun controls in the wake of a horrific tragedy like this can hardly be said to be 'politicising' the issue. It would seem a perfectly sensible and reasonable request from a moral, ethical, societal and political standpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well that’s all wrong I’m sure I heard an expert say the doors were the issue

Automatic firearms are highly regulated and are very rarely used in mass shootings so you wouldn't prevent many mass shootings by getting rid of them. They are most popular with the Cartels shooting the sh1t out of each other.

What do you mean by a military grade gun? Genuine question.

I honestly don't think the US will get rid of semi-automatic rifles. They are very versatile and are among the most popular rifles available. They can be used for sport shooting, hunting and self-defence. There's over 20,000,000 AR15s in the US. And that's only the AR15. There are millions more semi-automatic rifles of different types that do exactly the same job as the AR15, e.g. Ruger Mini 14. I can't see these being banned. California has clamped down on some of them with regard to the type of stock you can have and only having a 10 round magazine but even they haven't tried to ban them.

And even if they get rid of the semi-automatic rifles (which I can't see happening), people will get their hands on semi-automatic pistols. These are the most commonly used firearms in mass shootings, accounting for about 77% of all mass shootings. https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/

If change happens, I think it will be over generations rather than decades. That said, America does need to tighten up on how easy it is to get a gun.

Everything is politics in the US. It's gotten much worse in the last 20 years. I was last in the States in 2019 and you could hardly have a conversation with anyone without someone bringing the words Republican or Democrat to the table. I found this weird. I'd rarely have a conversation that contained FF or FG or SF or GP here in Ireland.

I actually don't agree that the issue of gun control could be perfectly manageable because the US Government only have part of the say. Most States have their own Constitutions and set their own gun laws. And many States, like Texas, don't want to play ball. There's many hurdles to be jumped and it certainly isn't simple.

And what exactly is meant by gun control? Do you equate gun control to banning guns? The US might have some success in setting up background checks for all firearms, sales only through FFL dealers, waiting periods for guns, a red flag system for those acting the fcuk in real life or in social media etc. But if you mean gun control = banning guns (as many do), then that won't happen in a hurry.

Democrats hold all of the houses of power and obviously the presidency but they aren't doing anything except talking. Joe should sign in an EO regarding gun control legislation. Right after he cancels the student debt and all of the other wishy washy rubbish he "promised "

Political point scoring is all that's at work here.

Crime statistics speak for themselves .

Talking about race is the usual tactic to distract.

The place is a dangerous kip. It has gone so bad that there is a curfew on under 18s in parts of the city . Brought in by the mayor.

"Oh but race" .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Apparently, the supreme court ruled (back in 2005) that the police have no constitutional duty to protect people from harm. Their duty is to enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Guns in Ireland are illegal the vast majority of the time. They are only 'legally permitted' when in full compliance with all of the legislation and conditions attached to the firearms license and used for the specified purpose the license was granted.

Even if you have a gun license if you're in possession of a firearm anywhere other than the specified purpose for which you have that gun license, its illegal. If you're not target shooting or hunting or travelling for the purpose of attending a target shooting or hunting activity, that gun needs to be unloaded, kept in a secured, locked safe, often In a disassembled state

If your carrying too much ammunition, its illegal, if you walked into any shop or walked down any street carrying a loaded gun, you would be breaking multiple laws regardless of whether you have a license for that gun

Irelands gun laws are the right way to go.

Americas 'open carry' and self defense licenses are a recipe for the kinds of massacres they see every day over there

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

From what I have been reading I cannot understand how this one person was able to remain unchallenged in a room full of children, whilst armed police were outside. Surely the number 1 priority is preserve life as quickly as possible..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

No, the vast majority of gun owners would exchange them for cash.

The small percentage who would resist will become criminals and after a few examples of them actually going to jail you'd see them blubbering and begging for mercy like those who were prosecuted after storming the capitol 2 years ago

There may well be armed resistance. But pandering to terrorists snd criminals is not a good argument when the lives of innocent children (and adults) are at stake

Ultimately, allowing right wing extremists (these are the people with the most guns and most likely to oppose restrictions) to ammass arsenals will only lead to a civil war sooner or later. If that happens when the GOP are In government, its unthinkable what would happen next

Advertisement