Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Who also hype up the league to ridiculous levels aswell. So the EPL has the two greatest teams of all time and la Liga is muck but Real Madrid beat both those greatest teams of all time on the way to winning the CL. The two “greatest managers on the planet” were bested by a recent Everton manager?! I know that’s nonsense because anchelloti is a great manager but because he wasn’t leading an English club, English media just run with the narrative that the best of everything is in England.

Yes the EPL has more money, has more stronger teams relative to those in other leagues below the top two but it skhype sports and BT always over egg the difference between the top clubs in Europe and the top clubs in england. Maybe players at the clubs even believe the hype a bit even if they don’t say it?! There’s clearly not much difference this season anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That’s the English media for you, big up the English teams while not giving other teams credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just to further back this up, one stat I saw...

In the last 21 years, La Liga teams have played non-La Liga teams 17 times in European finals, and won all 17.

Jesus , I didn’t realise that, they way the English go on football has been Dominated by the EPL!

Genuine question.

When does Modric become considered the best midfielder this century (at least)?

Probably if he goes back to spurs and helps them to the latter stages of the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Serious performance from him last night. Created the break for the goal from nothing really, most other players would have back/sideways with the pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Can't imagine many Liverpool fans are falling for him attempting to ingratiate himself to them after the way he betrayed them...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Advertisement

It's not even just that.

They beat every top team on the way. In terms of the 'hit list', it was definitive. They beat them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are always the same.

They were hyping up United back in 2011 against arguably the best club side of all time, and they got played off the park.

How is Modric that good at 36. Keep Michael Owen away from football now, especially after last night comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thankfully nobody seriously hurt last night and fans get go home in one piece.. scenes very similar to England fans at Euro final were similar last night. Madrid fans looked in great mood last night and were in fine voice and behaviour. Well done to them on their victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Liverpool are the "team to beat" and so are City and PSG are not far off it 🤣

Fair play to Real.

What happened last night was down to UEFA and the police. It was shocking.

They lied to everybody saying the delay was fans arriving late. That was not true.

They then started telling fans that their tickets were fake when they weren't, possibly because they wanted to then roll out the lie that fake tickets was the reason for people not getting in.

They then tear gassed indiscriminately against fans of all ages who posed no threat on the otherside of a fence.

They refused to check tickets and didn't open the gates. Mental.

The situation was also escalated by local youths (it's not the best area of Paris let's say) who were barging in, jumping fences and stealing tickets.

After the game got dangerous with people mugged and at the fanzone the police decided to just tear gas people to disperse the crowd. No warning, no instructions or announcements to make your way to the exit, just heavy hand policing for no reason. The riot police lined up in from of the fans at the end of the game too, it's like they were hoping for it to kick off.

It was a disgrace and they shouldn't be allowed to host a game like this again. The police actions didn't make sense. They provoked, they were way over the top and they frightened the life out of people.

I don't know much about the incident I the Euros final but I can't imagine the police were anything like what the French were last night. I'm still very annoyed by it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Think Real can take that crown as well on teams beat...

R.Madrid: Man City, Chelsea, Psg, Inter

Liverpool: Villareal, Benfica, Inter, Milan.

I mean its not even debatable, pool definitely had it harder......

Cracking up at that. Kid looks about 7. Also that's another £15-20m to Chelsea since Hazard has now won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Find that amazing cause was I very same stadium in 2004, 09 and 16 and security was some of best I have seen. No issues during Euros or the last CL finals there.

Pity.

I can't understand what made last night different to all the other sell out games at SdF. Reports that they just closed the gates and gave no explanation is shocking though. No matter what was going on you have to tell people why or things are gonna turn ugly.

Did they allocate less turnstiles to the fans compared to the "family" than they usually do ?

Did they just massively overreact because it was the English ?

Was there really loads of ticketless fans allowed get as far as the stadium ?

Best I can think is that it was a result of the Euros final and they didn't want to repeat that. But at the same time if you actually don't want any trouble, why the hell have you understaffed the whole stadium and kept gates closed?? That's what's so weird, it's like they wanted it to happen. Or, more likely, when they realised they had fucked up on the security and ticket checks their strategy changed to provoking the crowd so they could then all row behind the "fans are violent" line when they get a reaction.

Overall Macron has supported heavy handed policing so apparently its been getting worse the longer he's been in power. Good few french games forced behind closed doors since pandemic so it's definitely a thing in France now but last night was just chaos for the sake of it. There was no reason.

The fact that UEFA lied twice about the delay without doing any sort of investigation, and the French minister for sport this morning saying it was "the English" causing violence tells you everything you need to know.

And they'll get away with it and continue to get big sporting events. Because the cover up works. Blame the fans, blame anyone but themselves, and because of the tribal nature of football you'll have fans of other clubs lazily (or willingly) parroting their lies as banter or a way to put down fans of a particular club. It's already happening on twitter with some disgusting comments bringing up past tragedies.

This wasn't the fault of Liverpool and Real Madrid fans. Appalling way to run a massive event - I know they only got it switched a few months ago from Russia but still - appalling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've been there too for Full capacity games, never had an issue either.

However, looking at the Sky Sports presenter showing the first area where Liverpool fans were all directed to - that never happened to me.

Listening to how they were then directed down to Turnstile X and Y - that never happened me either.

That alone sounds incredulous as there is a very wide access area to the stadium, not sure why it was felt necessary to limit the access to such a bottleneck.

As mentioned previously, that area is not the most friendly, at night time in particualar. I specifically remember coming out after the Irl v France soccer match years ago and thinking, dodgy spot altogether. One of the few areas, despite police presence, that I didn't feel too safe at all.

It wasn't ticketless 'fans' allowed upthe stadium, it was ticketless locals. Weren't from either side they were just allowed free reign by the police. Loads tried hopping the fences and plenty of reports of pickpocketing and blatant snatching of tickets from people's hands.

Overall as Kew Tour said its just thankful that nobody was very seriously hurt. Some slashing apparently after the game from same local youths but honestly feel it could have ended up much much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye the rugby is always a sell out and played in that stadium. How come it was such a cluster last night yet never had issues before, has to be UEFAs fault in some way, shape or form.

there's plenty of journalists telling their stories now as they were caught up in it. This one from Rob Draper explains it well, and if you're already familiar with going to games there you'll be able to how this was policed differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rugby generally isn't played at night? Match finished at 11.30 pm local time.

Apparently was carnage after the match last night as well, no police anywhere and was a free for all for muggings and pickpockets on fans trying to get back to the metro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have been in Stade de France a few times and the surrounding area is dog rough. Lots of shady characters.

Fantastic stadium though and generally well organised. Last night just sounds like a **** show.

I was there for Ireland v Sweden in the Euros and it was no hassle whatsoever around there.

I can't see any reason other Ethan a massive police over reaction to English fans.

Some media had used the phrase ticketless fans that's why I am questioning was it actually true.

The ticketless scumbag is a given at this stage.

I love how a Mail on Sunday journalist is complaining about dodgy versions of "the truth" though. Talk about pots and kettles.

Liverpool still having their parade for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Over reaction is right. From my understanding, the route the Liverpool fans had to undertake and the Limited Gate Access were the primary cause.

Police vans angled to make the primary access road funnell down to the width of a footpath is not a very good idea with 20,000 coming your way. It is certainly not the way I have experienced going to that ground. Approaching the ground was trouble free previously for me, straight to the Gate ( all open) turnstile and in. Last nights set up was very different and caused the probelms that the Police then had to react to.

So many accounts of muggings and attacks afterwards, with the police no where to be seen.

Paints the planners/organisers/police in a fairly bad light. That is at least a good thing about Social Media - plenty of videos, hours before the game, showing all the hassle and how it was created and dealt with.

There was a story on Guardian Football Weekly last weekend about Everton players being made to do a parade with the Liverpool players after coming 2nd to them in both the FA Cup and league back in the 80s

It's a bit mad compared to my visit when I was drinking bottles of wine right up to gate of the stadium no problem.

Lots of stories coming out about a possible IT failure too as people with legit tickets were scanning as fake.

Ide understand if it was second hand tickets but Andy Robertson's family tickets that he got direct from the club were scanning as fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This video really speaks for itself. A guy trying to scan his ticket is just pepper sprayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Unfortunately i think the fact that ticketless scumbags were able to get into the euros final in london and stay for the whole match gave hope to these parisian scumbags to try to sneak in also. Hopefully this is not going to continue to future big football events. Already it takes a long time to get through security at big football events, i fear its just going to get worse with this behaviour.

Outside of the fact that prck pepper sprayed an innocent bystander it's also just such a stupid weapon in those situations. Half the time it ends up getting half the people around the target including the security team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mcateer son was attacked and wife mugged last night.

I think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg so far. I honestly don't remember hearing anything similar happening before and after a game before.

And a few clips similar to above showing what appear to be locals trying to force the gates. I assume they are locals because it'd be very rare you'd see a group of 15-20 fans together and not one of them have a jersey/t-shirt/scarf/flag.

I was in the fanzone all day and then got the train up towards the ground after the music finished. I didn't have a ticket but was with people who did so I got off a couple of stops before to go into a pub I knew. Train was obviously packed with fans going to the game and this was before 6pm (9pm kickoff). So I knew by kickoff that the UEFA statement wasn't right that fans showed up late.

Was texting with people in the 'queue' and they hadn't been told the game was delayed they thought they were just going to miss the whole thing as they just weren't being allowed through.

It was only a couple of hours after the game when I met up again and realised how bad it had been. I left other people who watched in the fanzone and they just got onto me 30mins ago and said they were tear gassed too.

I was lucky I left the fanzone and just stuck to the pub. More stories keep coming out from fans up at the ground and it's just grim.

Would have been much worse had we won the game, everybody would have been out all night and there were definitely dodgy people around most places. The loss meant most just went straight back to hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Seen plenty of comments to this effect down the years. The Saint Denis suburb (where the stadium is located) is, apparently, a s**t hole. Indeed, the whole city, away from the obvious touristy areas, has a reputation for being mediocre. But I suppose you can say the same about every city that's popular with tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What happened before and during the game with the police and the fans definitely put a big dampener on the whole occasion. It was clear what was happening too from the outset. The camera shots of the stadium showed a half empty end, something that is not normal.

Luckily there was no serious injuries, that we know of yet, but there was massive potential for it. Kettling fans down narrow avenues blocking them off with police fans, delaying the massive crowds. The whole fake ticket line is clearly lies as even fans with tickets distributed by the clubs were told that they were fake.

Teargassing fans with tickets for no reason. Teargassing the fan parks nowhere near the stadium.

Shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not surprised. Outside of the tourist spots Paris is a dangerous kip of a place. Of course proper policing for a major event would help

2 cups to parade along with the woman’s team for winning their league

Paris is a kip and a getto and always has been no surprise what happened to the fans really french police are also terrible when it comes to being helpful to foreigners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

There was a clip posted earlier and I did get a smile at the lad calmly speaking to a cop in French with a very thick Scouse accent.

Bit weird to parade cup well after you win them end of season or not.

• Advertisement

Funny enough Paris holds massive events in full stadia all the time and it's all fine.

Obviously something was done different and needs to be sorted.

Why teams always do it at the end of their season.Liverpool we’re hardly going to have a parade in March then another one 2 weeks ago and a possible 3rd and 4th were they ?

Imagine if they did win all 4 and actually have a parade after each - hence why it would be ridiculous to do it, end of season is normal, although Liverpools season was a week longer than the rest.

Just people looking to have digs I am waiting for “imagine having a parade on the anniversary of Heysel” next

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement