Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Today is the anniversary and parade is on it’s not ideal someone in planning messed up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not really a mess up though, couldn't really have it before now, or next weekend, decided not a good idea for a weekday - that left today.

Only today left as players are off from tomorrow or off for international games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

this is the one thing i dont get. that stadium must host at least 20 events per year that are sell outs. the whole thing should run like clockwork, getting people in and out in a timely and safe manner.

they must have done something differently here, and if thats the case, who instructed it and what was the reason?

re the game, congrats madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Or it's the people that turned up. The Stadium hosts multiple events a year like clockwork. The difference here is the type of fans that turned up to this event, but you won't hear too many say that today

People did turn up at leat 2 hours before kick off but don’t let facts get in the way of your jumping to conclusions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Every news outlet in the world saying differently but you have better sources it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Or...

You have a track record of despising Liverpool and its fans.

So I wonder why you'd think this, and not believe every journalist who has covered the story?

Hmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was at Stade De France for the CL final in 2000.

A mate who lives in Paris showed us around the city the day before, best pubs etc. I always remember one line he told us, "see after the game is over, get the hell back into the city as quickly as you can, don't hang around. Its really rough out there".

Appears nothing has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Real Madrid fans had issues with the security before and after the game too.

But of course there are the usual few who rush to blame the fans of one particular team without being there or knowing what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Being the team to beat doesn't mean they can't be beaten. City are the team to beat and Spurs beat them twice - what's your point?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Always blaming liverpool.....?

I assume the euro 2020 final was there fault too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Something has to be done about posters constantly posting in a manner to provoke others. There's one or two constantly at it now and it needs to be dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Close the thread and pepper spray 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could only do that if it was the mods causing trouble 😁 Then they card everyone and lock the thread.

New thread in 2 weeks when the prelim draw for the next one is done

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Advertisement

Still dunno how Benzemas was ruled out. Whatever law that was also needs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So you reckon all deflections off a defender should play everyone onside? Bit of a radical one… would mean you could have someone a mile off, and as long as you kick the ball off an opposition player, the ‘offside’ guy is free to gather it up and score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

I didn’t think it was a deflection. He hit it with his knee - unintentionally but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Allison took it off his own defender and then 2 more Liverpool defenders scramble in and knock it to Benzema. Don't think Real had much say in where it went so would not call it a deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

If they change the deflection law you will have lads 10 yards offside and a midfielder will try hit the defender and put the ball into space for the lad offside.

You’re missing the relevant bit there - It was Valverde knocked it towards goal, bouncing off Fab’s knee in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Klopps record of one win in five European finals is fairly damning. The one victory against Spurs too.

Really are a better team than Madrid too. But they were nullified last night and didn’t seem to have any answers.

There really is such a fantastic bond between Liverpool and their fans in fairness.

The parade today was questioned by some earlier and even the players didn't really know would there be many at it because they lost.

If they won last night, I'm not sure if there would have been many more at it as the City was absolutely packed.

After the clear disappontement of last night, the sheer delight and appreciation on the players and fans faces was great to see today.

Istanbul next year..... they won't be too far away again I reckon.

I actually though that was the rule - intentional or otherwise, if the last touch is a defender, it's onside.

Nope, rule has always been that it has to be an intentional touch from the defender. To borrow from the NFL, it effectively has to be a 'football move', and not just a random unintended bounce off someone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

As Konate knocked it off Fabinho it adds a layer of confusion the rules were not written to clearly deal with.

It is still not clear if the VAR determined Benzema to be offside at the point of Valverde's last touch and that was end of discussion OR if VAR determined the Konate and then Fabinho touches to both be non deliberate plays of the ball.

By right the second one is a decision for the referee to review on screen and not for VAR so I am not sure why the ref was not asked to decide deliberate or not (1. Konate and then, if needed 2. Fabinho).

It was the right decision re Fabinho as the ball hit Fabinho rather than Fabinho getting to the ball and playing it.

It is the Konate tackle and his effort to play the ball that I am not sure about. Seemed deliberate but maybe it was determined as hitting him in a block movement.

• Advertisement

walking contradiction, that lad

Exceot that's not what he said. What he actually said was "When the goalkeeper is man of the match, then something is going wrong for the other team".

The 'wrong' is related to his own team's failings, not RM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Ah now, don't let facts get in the way of a good opposition dig! 😂

I prefer this quote...

ALL the quote.....

Jürgen Klopp: “This is the best club in the world. We lost a Champions League final yesterday and this is the reception we received. I really couldn’t care less what other people think. What a club.” ❤️🏆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Type of fans? Did they really have to teargas an 84 year old lady in a wheelchair? Or umpteen journalists? Or beat a young man proposing to his girlfriend, who they also teargassed?

What "type" is this that deserves such awful treatment for the crime of attending a game?

It's a stupid barstool expert comment. This idea that the goalkeeper isn't a valid player like everyone else.

Did anyone say or even suggest they aren't?

Klopp's comment is pretty simple - if the other team's keeper gets man of the match, it means you've not been scoring goals, which is bad for you.

"Only won cause of the keeper" is quite a common put down of a winning team.

Would he say that when a defender is man of the match there is a problem. Salah went up against Courtois and Courtois was better on the night. If it was Militao or Alaba that kept Salah scoreless there wouldn't be half the comments.

It's the stupid team with more shots on goal deserved to win argument added to the having a top goalkeeper is somehow luck nonsense.

Van Dijk also got the official MOTM award in 2019 too, not Alisson. I think that's a Liverpool fan cast that gave Alisson their MOTM award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So by the rules if VD and Alisson were getting motm awards, Spurs must really have blew it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Exactly, it's a back handed way of saying we were the better team and only for a MOTM performance by the opposition keeper, our team would have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

with the madrid disallowed goal, the linesman incorrectly raised the flag for offside. i would say that if the linesman did his duty correctly (not flagging for offside), then the goal would have stood.

the implementation of var is just very annoying. there needs to be open dialogue, and when it comes to anything subjective it should be on the ref to make that determination.

pundits in these cases drive me mad as well. they should have the law in front of them and explain the decision with reference to that law, rather than just saying ridiculous decision - thats for the pub talk.

i wonder is there anything in changing the offside rule to needing 1 player + the keeper behind the ball, rather than just 2 players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd prefer if they just scrapped VAR altogether. Screw open dialogue, just get rid. It doesn't make it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A keeper is part of the team.

If he's MOTM, it means part of that team was the best on the pitch.

Just like if Salah had scored a hat trick, he'd be the best on the pitch, and would've won his team the game. An attacker might be the only difference between 2 teams, but yet we don't bemoan that as much as if a keeper is the difference.

It was what it was. A keeper is allowed be MOTM and it not necessarily mean that team was annihilated and didn't deserve to win. He was part of the reason they did deserve it.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't see how it is damning.

Dortmund were completely shafted in the final againt Bayern, in which Dante was allowed act like a complete gowl after his yellow and shoul've been sent off. He kicked someone in the stomach, conceded a penalty and didn't get a second yellow for what was really a red card offence.

The first Liverpool Real one saw Ramos take out Liverpools mosat important player. He should've been sent off too.

Europa fair enough. Even Saturday fair enough, but they did everything but score. Leaving Mane on was probably a mistake, but Real have had 3 weeks off pretty much while Liverpool have had high intensity games. Just think it was 1 game too many for some players.

How did he incorrectly raise his flag for offised? The player was in an offside position and became active once the ball was played. It taking a deflection doesn't come into it, and the linesman doesn't necessaritly see the deflection either, so what he did wasn't a mistake.

For what it's worth, I thought benzema was offside on the original pass. There was a later chance in which Valverde and Vini JR were both a mile off too and it was waved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the goalkeeper comments. Or how Klopp reacted to the other reporter. He is “spiky” after defeats. He’s a bad loser. It’s his competitive nature. Ultimately a driving factor in his own success I’m sure. He’d just lost his 4th of 5 European finals. To be honest I half expected him to say something worse and there to be more outrage.

For a team some fans were starting to consider the greatest ever he knows they’re in danger of becoming nearly men. Not knocking his achievements. From where he took over a CL and PL win is brilliant work. But when being talked about as the greatest liverpool team ever. They are miles off that. They can’t be compared to Paisley’s side surely. They’ve struggled to get over the line numerous times now. I think they should have won comfortably enough against that Madrid team. If Mane leaves it will be a massive one I think. The recruitment has been spot on for so long replacing him will be so tough. He was the best attacking player this season especially after the Afcon. Diaz looks an outstanding player. He doesn’t seem to have the same output yet though as Salah/Mane and there’s no guarantee he can add that to his game. Unfortunately Saturday was one of his worst performances too.

I agree on the Dortmund final. They were always going to be big underdogs against Bayern too. I disagree on the Ramos incident, I didn't think that was a red card. If Salah stayed on the pitch I still think Madrid would have won that final.

They did everything but score, I don't agree. They played ok. We know they can play levels above. Courtois was good but hardly unbelievable. An exceptional save from Mane and a decent save from Salah. It's not like Liverpool were creating chances at will and playing great. The attacking players weren't at their usual levels. Perhaps you're right with one game too many. Unfortunately i don't think we can have any arguments again, Madrid deserved it.

It's a very common trait for people to pick apart Klopp's comments after games Liverpool don't win, and twist them. Searching for a reason to be outrages and stick the boot in.

Same as the Spurs draw a few weeks ago. He said his personal preference is to coach attacking football, not defensive football and he got jumped on it for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Mad isn’t it. All Klopp was really saying is our finishing was shite and people seem to think that’s a put down on Real’s performance.

It's not just Klopp that's spouts this goalkeeper thing it's just he is the most high profile person to say it.

I have heard it in work a number of times over the last 2 days that Liverpool deserved to win and the goalkeeper being MOTM is thrown as an insult.

This should be celebrated as the Courtois final same as we had a Zidane or a Gerrard final but instead a top performing player is being used to bash a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Packie Bonner Euro '88 V England man of the match (not sure if that's official) and all of us celebrated his performance:) I have no problem with the keeper winning it. Probably the position on the pitch that requires the most concentration so good luck to him. Probably gave the rest of the team confidence aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement