Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

Russian culture.

His name is Tomas Upskas, he's from Lithuania, living in the UK. He made a whole model scene with these figures and said he will be selling it in auction soon with all profits going to Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

I love it. It would make a great birthday present for Putin.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

I think the event you're referring to was called World War II. The Germans were trying "to sort out Russia"? Seems they got their compass settings wrong because they went west instead of east and overran western Europe. They then set up an odious system that practised genocide on an industrial scale.

When they turned eastwards it was to aquire land.

The "rump state", the FDR, was democratic and thrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ukraine are not dependent on EU funds/arms no matter how much the recent influx of pro-Russian posters try to make us believe it.

Ukraine are dependent on funds and arms it's getting unilaterally from various countries, some of them EU and the UK and mainly from the US.

The trots should realise that Ukraine will never lose this war, because the US will continue to back them as much as needed so that they don't lose.

The US don't require a quick victory. Au contraire, a longer more drawn out war suits them, because it will weaken Russia more and also Germany and China more. A strong EU is not in the US's interest, but a medium strength somewhat incohesive one is fine, as long as they are strong enough to withstand Russia/China in the long run.

As long as Ukraine are prepared to fight to defend their homeland and the US exists, Ukraine will not lose this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

The Poles know full well what Putin is capable of..and what might happen if Ukraine is defeated. There's only one solution to this problem, and that's Europe unites fully and destroys Putin completely, and in such a way that there can be no denial of the fact.. this wheeling and dealing by Germany and France has to stop... Its needlessly prolonging the agony.

• Advertisement

True. So if the EU does not want to get bogged down they should go at it 100%. Zelenskyy rightly said this war could be over in weeks if they had sufficient weaponry.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

It’s so easy to forget the real victims of WW2 - the Germans. 😒

The Germans attacked Russia for similar reasons Russia attacked Ukraine, land and resources - oil in particular.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

We live in a globalised world these days where anything that disrupts supply networks can have significant knock-on effects. The USA is not entirely insulated from shortages of necessary commodities arising from the conflict in Ukraine and isolation of Russia. It's alright for power brokers in the U.S. to play games of geopolitical chess, but there's a potential for domestic instability if they miscalculate.

This leads on to the point that the U.S. is coming out of two wars that became increasingly unpopular during their duration, and ones that weren't even all-out high intensity ones for most of their duration, rather managing an occupation. The popular desire, there, has gone back to isolationism in the wake of that. It leads on to the problem of helping Ukraine in such a way that is both effective and doesn't give one's political opponents too big a stick to beat one with. It seems that unless a country is being directly invaded, and it's do or die, countries looking on at an invasion are usually looking to balance their foreign policy with their domestic politics and their national interest. I think Biden is pushing as hard as he thinks he can to help Ukraine without making it a vote loser. Bear in mind that it's largely the right-wing Republican side in the USA who are running 'Why....should I hate Putin so much?" up the flag pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

The reason Russia declared war on Ukraine has nothing to do with resources or oil. This is a genocide on Ukrainian people. Russia wants Ukrainian people wiped from the face of the earth. And for people to think this has to do with anything else need there head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Wait!! What happened to Zelensky being on the front lines at the beginning? Yet now he visits the east for the first time.. again! The journal are tripping over themselves.

• Advertisement

Russia must be unaware that it has hundreds of thousands of square miles of virgin territory in its east. Basically, if Russia cannot stride the world like a giant using the vast territory it already possesses, adding Ukraine to its inventory is unlikely to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

Child rape and so on should never have a price put on it, full stop, however is it worth a RuSSian clown launching a nuclear bomb at any EU city?

Would you be OK with Belfast, Dublin, Galway or Limerick taking a hit for the Ukrainian kids and the rest of us living with the consequnces? Like fcuk would you ... your tune would also change if a few soldiers walked into your house and gave you a gun and said the plane is leaving in 2 hours off you go to fight, find the rapists and walk them into the courts or offer some self justice.

As I said in my previous post, Ireland and its citizens should be very quiet in all of this as we have a few boy scouts with guns which are called an army. Not any fault of its members etc., created by politicians who neglected military spending for over 20-30 plus years. We dont have an air nor a marine corps with the ability to defend our own airspace nor waters so how to bloody hell should we get involved in the Ukraine or tell Nato members how to run their affairs. Simple fact is, before any Irish citizen or politician starts spouting about what other countries do or do not do or what they should be doing ... they should look at the Irish position and our own back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I do suspect some in the US military would believe a prolonged war for Russia will break them as a military power and possibly cause a change in power.

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Because with Russia reduced to a state of powerlessness, that leaves the US a clear field if China and Taiwan kicks off. One down, nr 2 to go. And for sure, the US Military Complex will be more than 100% ( if that's possible?? ) behind him. Now its the perfect scenario for Biden no matter which way you look at it.......hammering the daylights out of Putins army, without any worrying about US fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What wheeling and dealing have they (France and Germany) actually been doing that prolongs the "agony" here (the war)? Lots of comments, little substance really.

They talk to Putin, yes and this makes people here angry with their govt.'s (or they claim it does anyway). I think Austria's chancellor has been in contact with him too as has Erdogan (Turkey of course won't even sanction Russia or give any aid to Ukraine as far as I'm aware). If they all stop talking to Putin that might be very satisying and will isolate him more, but it is not going to end the war IMO.

As regards Europe uniting and destroying Putin, I do doubt somewhat if Europe is militarily capable of supplying Ukraine to do this job, bar perhaps denuding all the militaries and turning over their weapons to Ukraine. It always has been very dependent on the US in military matters, even those happening right on the edge of the EU, and this war exposes this again.

(edit: not related to your post...just an idle brain fart) I suppose, to speculate, if Trump had been in power in the US we might have had the lovely spectacle of EU countries (and the UK too!) all begging on bended knee for some US interest in & support for Ukraine, & edit: Donald Trump like the big boss of a mafia protection racket naming the price in EUR to provide that support!

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Why should we be quiet in all this we cant help military but we are giving aid, By sitting on the fence as you say, we are saying that it is alright to rape women, childern,babies. Anybody how knows anything about this war knows their is zero chance of a nuclear attack on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's fascinating to see the High Horsey types who spouted the EU guff about democratic values and rule of law suddenly become moral relativists to defend the continental European powers once it becomes clear that it was all just window dressing for Germanys realpolitik. So far down the rabbit hole they can't back out. Ideologically captured in the same way that Germany has been ideoligically captured by Russia.

Apparently we're so reliant on Germany that we should play along with them and Russia no matter what, in the same way that Germany is reliant on cheap Russian fuel. Obviously we should never, ever ask about why we might be so reliant on Germany, largest trading partner for nearly every EU country, (oh hai Brussels) or how we should go about reducing that reliance, absolutely not 😂

We should also, never ask why Germany and France are so shy about sending weaponry to Ukraine and so bullish about a peace at any cost agreement ASAP while pulling this sort of ****:

Meanwhile Scholz and Macron both on the phone to oul Vlad constantly and bolstering him with their appreasement press releases. Guess who wants to still be on good terms with the Dictator next door when all this ends?

Meanwhile Poland sending 18 of its tracked artillery pieces in comparison the 5 Caesers France managed to spare or the handful of PzH 2000s Germany are meant to be sending, although, given their previous form, the Ukranians would not want to hold their breath https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1530904087365132292

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The idea that we should stay quiet while countless thousands are subjected to horrific treatment is utterly indefensible. Us, a nation with no capacity to defend ourselves, would be utterly reliant on the generosity of others if we ourselves were to come under attack. But even outside of that fact, who are we as a nation, as a people if we say nothing against these horrors just for fear of upsetting some dictator.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

If you think there is no strategy beyond killing Ukrainians you’re over simplifying it.

• Advertisement

So what is the strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭eire4

All those countries have every justification for fearing what the Russian dictatorship might do next in terms of invading another country although IMHO I think Moldova is a more likely next target.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

So basically the French, Germans and whoever else do not give all they have to the Ukrainians and tell Putin to stick his gas are a pack of cnuts, that is until the wee island of Ireland needs them to protect or rebuild, then they will be heros and the same clowns shouting off about them today will be cheering them when they get a benifit at their own front door. Makes a lot of sense ....

The alternative is to let Ukraine fall and embolden Putin. Then he says 'Give me Poland or I'll nuke Warsaw' So we give him Poland to keep the peace. 'Give me Germany or I'll nuke Berlin'.

No. This must not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

No the German's didn't get their "compass settings wrong" they went west because they were attacked by Britain and France...and yeah of course that was to 'defend' Poland we are told, but Poland was attacked by 3 nations Germany,the Soviet Union and Slovakia.But Britain and France only declared war on one of them, then allied with one of the others and gave them Poland when it was no longer of use to them...even though it was supposedly its independence they fought the war over!.

The other event I am referring to is the ignored horrific Genocide of the Germans after World war 2, when millions of them were murdered by various methods...perhaps up to 16 million by some estimates.

The rump state is the Germany of today, you only need to compare maps pre and post war to see that..also clearly shows the Genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

This has nothing to do with oil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well one thing you omit is that the US aid is mostly military aid isn't it, rather than separate somehow (otoh 80 or 90 % is a figure I recall without googling)? Lend lease is all about weapons for Ukraine too.

The EU countries, and the UK do not, I expect have an entire Ukrainian army's worth (say $40bn?) of spare NATO weapons sitting there to supply Ukraine yesterday (or as fast as possible). The US (likely) does.

They could pay that to arms manufacturers I suppose and get the weapons in...I dunno (really - I can't say).

Or they could give it to the US perhaps in exchange (as per earlier post they might have had to do just that if they wanted to see Ukraine backed up more strongly and good old Donnie Trump was still in the hot seat over there!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement