Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OFFICIAL Buildup Thread - Leinster vs Stade Rochelais Champions Cup Final 28/05/2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

By free for all you mean not letting Leinster have their own way?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tribalism doesn't belong in rugby? What kind of BS is that. I grew up with Limerick rugby and let me tell you it was built on tribalism. Shannon fans gloated when Munsters were relegated and let me tell you we doubled down on that when they went down. There's even tribalism between Cork and Limerick within Munster rugby. The idea that it shouldnt exist in rugby is just bizarre.

Personally I never have and never will support Leinster. And that goes back to the amateur days long before Leinster were the behemot they are now. It's how rivalry works in all sports, including rugby. If you want to support rival Irish teams then fair play to you, but just because you do it doesn't mean that others have to do it too. And it doesn't make them any less a supporter either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's backward gobshites that do this rivalry thing.

A respectable rivalry is fine but shouting against any Irish team when your team is not involved is just idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭CJay1

Ed Byrne, O'Brien and Conan all went to private schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Eh?

LAR we’re consistently in at the side, sealing off, not rolling away and interfering with the scrum half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't know how much of a trend can be found from this game. So much of how things turned out were influenced by the ref. Which isn't to lay the blame on him.

La Rochelle made may flooding the 2 receiver channel, but a lot of that was from them playing the offside line with impunity. A stricter ref might have checked them and made that more difficult. That said, Leinster should have had a strategy to adapt. Self scouting is a massive part of preparation. They should know how a team will attack them, which they clearly did to an extent with respect to the ruck.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

From a neutral perspective Barnes was consistent. He let a lot go. You can complain about La Rochelle not getting a yellow earlier but Leinster were just as cynical for the last 10 minutes, giving up penalty after penalty after penalty and he also didn't card them. I think in one phase of play Leinster gave up 3 penalties (1 scrum penalty and then 2 more in the subsequent phases).

I know people will laugh at this coming from me of all posters, but if you want refs to be zealots the game would never get going. For example you could go through the game and find numerous instances of Leinster players diving into rucks off their feet to secure quick ball, a ref being ultra strict could find fault with almost any ruck.

If you were a La Rochelle fan and they had lost that match you would have been absolutely furious at the last 10 minutes, when multiple cards for Leinster cynicism would not have been unreasonable.

I don't think Barnes had any influence on the outcome. The better team won. Leinster didn't turn up, and La Rochelle knew how to beat them. There's a bit of a default reaction among Irish fans that when we lose it's cause of shithousing by the opposition, because our lads are purists who never push the boundaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why does anyone care who supports a province in a final? I couldn't give 2 fcuks who Munster fans support. Let them cheer on ROG! They can gloat however they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Anyone know how much Leinster's failure to win yesterday will cost the IRFU? Because, petty provincial point scoring apart, that's what should concern supporters of all of the provinces. Less moolah for the IRFU means less moolah for the provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The French fans hate Barnes with a passion and booed every decision he made. They booed him before the game and when he got his medal. I think no matter what they thought he was riding LAR yesterday.

I don’t know why people are complaining about Barnes. He interpreted the breakdown a certain way and was consistent through out.

Leinsters problems were if their own making. Though I don’t know why people are highlighting the scrum and particularly Porter. Was the penalty count not two against 1 for and a free kick for while he was on?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redmca2

It is very frustrating that there is 80 seconds left on the clock when LR scored the winning try and all that was used up in delaying the conversion.

This isn't unique just to yesterday's match.

I would support that the clock be stopped during the taking of ALL conversions.

Ah lads, If someone has a chip on their shoulder ignore them, their impotent rage will have them on the wrong side of the mods soon enough and really - it's not worth your time.

Leinster will bounce back, the petty eejits on here will always be saddo's.

Back to the match. I thought Gibson Park was terrific yesterday, but that performance from Sexton makes me begin to doubt his capacity to deliver in a world cup in over a years time. Doris needs to spend his free time working on his handling as it's not improving.

Most importantly - I think Leinster and Ireland need to look at scrum coaching as it's becoming a real weakness.

A performance to forget but a season where a lot of new talent has gotten European rugby exposure. Focus on the positives, move onto the next thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

You have 90 seconds from try to convert it, 60 seconds for a penalty, been that way for a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You said the other 3 provinces were 'shitbox teams'....

They must have learned that from watching Leinster play

That's all going to leinster anyway as they have practically all of the central contracts

I think Barnes helped LAR because he's so feckin slow whenever he does blow his whistle that he allowed the big boys to recover and maintain their stamina

But he did let loads infringements go throughout the game for both teams. Generally favouring the attacking side

If Barnes had seen the same camera angles the viewers saw most scrums would have been pens for LAR as Leinster were never driving straight

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not wanting to be overly negative, but I’m not sure about the bounce back thing. Next season is going to be a bit of a mess with the World Cup and I’m unconvinced Sexton will feature after the World Cup, or at least unconvinced he’ll be up to much.

And as we saw yesterday, Ross Byrne is not in the same league.

Barring some big signings, namely a big unit or two in the pack, this Leinster team will continue to stroll to league wins but also continue to fall short in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Leinster. Porter, Furlong, Ryan, Sexton, Henshaw, Ringrose.

Munster. Beirne, O'Mahony, Murray, Earls.

Connacht. Aki

Ulster. Henderson, Stockdale.

Might have missed someone. But Leinster have less than half, from what I can tell and only two more than Munster.

• Advertisement

Yeah but furlong Porter and sexton may be the highest paid players in their positions in the world

Beirne only became a centrally contracted player this year and Earls is likely to retire at the end of this season

You can be guaranteed Sextons last contract is nowhere near what his previous one was. Also the contract he was on when he came back from Racing. Wasn’t fully paid for by the IRFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah but, yeah but.

You claimed something that isn't even remotely true and are now backsliding.

What I said was true. Most of the IRFU funding goes to leinster. The 'reply' conflated contracts starting next year with contracts ending this year.

But you can prove anything with facts...

I was wrong.

The three hardest words in the English language to say :D

7 hardest words, "I don't know how to do sums'

Earls contract is ending this year. Beirnes contract starts next year. They don't overlap and cancel each other out

Sextons contract ends next year too.

You can move the pieces around the board all you want, knock them over and **** on the board. It makes no difference. You made and objectively incorrect post and simply can’t admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Absolutely loving the munster gloating on here and across social media. Absolutely gas and very, very fitting that their biggest win of the year didn't come from their own team. Enjoy it boys.

Anyway, we're a big ugly mean bastard away from winning Europe. We've been a big ugly mean bastard away from winning Europe for 3-4 years now. It's maddening that we haven't resolved it and got someone in. When is Skelton's contract up?

Sexton is centrally contracted till 2023

Earls is out of contract in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You see you are just as bad as those that would support a foreign team against an Irish team. You sound like a soccer fan and that's very sad.

Advertisement