Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Airside at Dublin Airport, to avoid queues?

Options
  • 29-05-2022 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I will fly soon with Emirates to Dubai (and onwards) but looking at the mess again today and the very long security queues I really am giving Dublin Airport second thoughts and am hoping to cancel?

Is there anyway I could fly up from Kerry (with Ryanair) and somehow remain airside to get onto the Emirates flight? Checkin in for Emirates will open after I'd arrive from KIR @ 10:30, with boarding roughly 13:30 for a 14:30 departure. It would leave me 3 hours to arrive, clear immigration (yes even from KIR), retrieve my suitcase and then walk out to the very back of like a half mile queue and possibly get soaked wet in the rain ahead of multiple long haul flights. I don't have the motivation to go through all that hassle and luckily I can rebook or get a credit voucher, I'm thinking to go via Cork or Shannon to AMS or LHR and onwards instead or even KIR-STN and connect overland in London to LHR.

I can't think of anyway to remain airside in DUB coming up from KIR on Ryanair especially having checked luggage since Ryanair and Emirate don't co-operate like certain airlines? Am I missing anything or is rebooking away from Dublin as I am thinking my best shot.

I was going to do Train to Heuston, Dublin Express to Dublin and Emirates onwards.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ryanair don’t do connections so you’d have to get your bag after security and then you’re back into the mayhem.

you’d have to cancel your Emirates flight and rebook it from Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

No chance to do an airside connection even if you only had hand luggage.

On the other hand, will you really be forced to go outside the terminal? Surely someone inside the terminal will not be forced to go outside for the queue to get into the terminal (if there is even one at that time).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op has got checked luggage, they will absolutely have to go outside

I know they will have to go landside (even without checked luggage), but they are talking about going outside the terminal ("in the rain") to join the queues that sometimes exist before you even get to the checkin area. I cannot see why they they would have to do that.

How else are they going to get their bag checked in to the emirates flight? They must do passport control and then get their bag, at that point there’s no where for them To go bar to the emirates check in desk and join the Q.

its a bloody mess in there, I travel for work and live in Dublin and tbh I’m tempted to start looking at other airports so I know that my day will be longer but I can be sure I’ll make my flight

• Advertisement

My point is they will most likely not join the crowd control that stops people from entering the terminal (if there is one) because they are already inside the terminal building after they pick up their luggage (exit, escalator one floor up to t1 checkin and then then indoor corridor across to the t2 checkin hall).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Apparently people were trying to access depsrtures via the escalator from arrivals but staff had it blocked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If your bags are checked through e.g. LA to Rome via DUB with AL can you transit then? Is it only if you are changing airlines and must check in again, well that would make sense I suppose. But if you don't have bags to check (hand luggage only) must you leave the terminal and start all over again? I know there must be a good reason why, but makes a laugh of Dublin being a so called "hub" for onward travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I changed everything this evening and am doing Cork to Heathrow instead with Aer Lingus and onwards to Doha with Qatar after as I'll be connecting there again. My Ryanair-Emirates plan would have involved arriving into arrivals and facing god knows what in Departures after. I wont be flying out of Dublin at all this year after this and I'll do KIR-STN and onwards for my Eurotravels instead of running the gauntlet that is Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Good idea, am presuming you can transit no problem in Heathrow, they are totally geared up for international transfers, although they are quite busy there too, but they have it under control most of the time. Too big to fail.

Sounds like a mighty trip, safe journey and hope it goes smoothly. Agree about avoiding Dublin if possible. We have friends in Limerick and they have kindly said that we should get the train to Limerick and they will drop us to Shannon and will pick us up on return. Destination is covered from Shannon. Might just do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There is a bus also from Limerick Bus/Train station (next to each other) out to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This is done by thousands daily at Dublin without touching security, it's not the same airline, it's the same ticket. So flying say AA from IAD to DUB and then BA or EI on to LHR thats fine. You can do more exotic stuff like ORD - DUB- ARN, Aer Lingus to SAS. Only EU/UK/US/CA arrivals into T2 can to skip security if you come in on Emirates you must clear security.

Ryanair do not pay for the connections facility and thus are excluded

Advertisement