Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Russian progress around Severdonetsk results largely from the fact that Moscow has concentrated forces, equipment, and materiel drawn from all other axes on this one objective. Russian troops have been unable to make progress on any other axes for weeks and have largely not even tried to do so. Ukrainian defenders have inflicted fearful casualties on the Russian attackers around Severodonetsk even so. Moscow will not be able to recoup large amounts of effective combat power even if it seizes Severdonetsk, because it is expending that combat power frivolously on taking the city.

Ukrainian forces are also suffering serious losses in the Battle of Severodonetsk, as are Ukrainian civilians and infrastructure. The Russians have concentrated a much higher proportion of their available offensive combat power to take Severodonetsk than the Ukrainians, however, shaping the attrition gradient generally in Kyiv’s favor. The Ukrainians continue to receive supplies and materiel from their allies as well, however slow and limited that flow may be. The Russians, in contrast, continue to manifest clear signs that they are burning through their available reserves of manpower and materiel with no reason to expect relief in the coming months.

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, May 28 | Institute for the Study of War (understandingwar.org)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

You do realise the German government have started building an LNG terminal and pipeline which they plan to have finished in record time to reduce their dependancy on Russian gas, it will not happen overnight however they are working on it, they plan to invest €100 billion into their military to bring it up to (NATO) standard and at the same time are trying to keep their people in work and economy afloat... what is Ireland doing?

Have you ever lived on mainland Europe? Ever had the pleasure of working for a German or French production company? Do you realise how many French and German citizens rely on the gas dependant companies to earn their livings? Do you realise how many of those people rely on gas to heat their homes and water? Obviously not .... sure we could switch the internet off tomorrow and lets see how the Irish economy copes. How many of the tech companies would still be paying people within a month of the internet being switched off?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Frau Van Der Lyden gone from toutng a total oil ban to claiming that EU members buying oil from Russia is a cunning plan to stop them selling it elsewhere for a better price 😂 Another decision that accomodates Germany, as per usual. All pretence of what they claimed the EU was about in tatters now.

Where are the UK gas fields and why have they not been tapped by now? Why are the Dutch closing their North Sea gas fields? Because there is so much gas out there? Having worked in the industry in both Holland and Germany I can assure you, that the gas in the North Sea will take at least 12-24 months to tap into and will not be financially viable to tap, otherwise it would have happened. LNG is available from the US, however Europe has 2 terminals that are capable of taking it into the grid, no were near enough capacity to compensate the loss of Russian gas, hence why the German government are building a mobile terminal which they hope to have in operation next year.

As for fracking .... lets start in your back garden. You do realise why the EU is against it? You realise what is pumped into the ground to extract the gas and what effect it has on the lands surrounding. If Ireland were to engage in it .... fertiliser would be the countries smallest problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I had not seen a detailed breakdown (or noticed it was posted), sorry. The fact is the big figure of $10s of billions you were mentioning is mostly military aid, Lend Lease is military aid, and as I said the US is in a unique position to actually provide this.

Most of what you are complaining about (Energiewende, over reliance on gas, Green anti nuclear stance etc. yet again) is bad policy that you can't fix without a time machine.

You can suspect all you want of course and good luck to you (!), another poster was on about the French/German "realpolitik", but its just nonsense in context of this war IMO. There is no benefit to either country (let alone the EU) that I see if Putin gains some kind of win out of this (either was as originally expected by taking Ukraine entire, or now, by imposing some humiliating settlement on Ukraine or the forcing lifting of sanctions on Russia etc.). It's a disater for everyone, and oil & gas supply from Russia is just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

One way or another Germany was going to get what it wanted - either by coercion or direct conquest. The invasion of Poland was considered the point at which this was to be opposed, so war was declared. The Third Reich was the immediate threat to Europe and a European war became, with the addition of Italy and the Japanese Empire, a world war.

The strategic decisions taken by the belligerent countries were seldom perfect, some just plain failures - you mention one with regard to Poland.

One decision taken was that the Third Reich had to be brought down. I doubt if many would disagree with that.

What happened to the German population at the end of the war has not been ignored - it's simply little known.

You could as easily be critical of the Germans in the last eight months or so of the war. The system in Germany wouldn't, or couldn't, acknowledge that they were going to be defeated. This resulted in millions of casualties on all sides, mostly Germans.

But the Irish Government also banned it .... it would be worth approx. €80 billion to Northern Ireland alone. Why not risk contaminating water supplies, property and animals to get a bit of gas? Sure if the Yanks can do it, so can we.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Thanks for the link, it is still quite vague though, with talk of "other countries" etc.

On the other side of the equation I did find this EU page:

So I think that would be $4.4bn from EU & EU members in non military aid to Ukraine since start of the war. This does not appear to include costs of the Temporary Protection Directive. I think this has been helpful for Ukraine, though 1 of the Germany-critics posting on here (!) believes Ireland is being unfairly burdened by it and should opt out.

Also (though this is not particularly relevant IMO), I don't believe you are right that the EU has a larger economy - the US is larger now. Even absent Brexit, there is a GDP gap developing. This is a source I found on a quick google: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?locations=EU-US-CN

I hardly want to "pat us on (all) the back" (EU/Germany/France, or indeed this country too).

That's a bit of a generous way to describe offering opposing pov to a few posts that are pretty much calling out Germany, or indeed the EU as at best doing very little c.f. the US for some venal, cowardly or nefarious reasons (that would be you) and at worst some kind of ally of Putin, or quislings trying to sell out Ukraine (others)....

edit: Also thanks for some of those past posts and translations of the Russian tv talking heads and current affairs shows etc., interesting & useful to know what is being said to the audience, what message is being given out, but I don't anyone (on "our" side) should ever make decisions based on it!

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Advertisement

Yes and I know that they were well aware what Putin had been up to in Ukraine when they were building Nordstream 2 and that if the Ukraine hadnt messed it all up by not folding they'd be only to happy to be carrying on business as usual with Vlad right now so dry your eyes. Pretending those poor naive Germans didnt have a notion who they were getting into bed with

Europe has only 2 LNG terminals? C'omon

And mobile terminals are usually leased, not built

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Good to see, they have them on the down hill now and keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,904 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pump the brakes there horse.

Germany built Nord 2 and shut down their nuclear power stations leaving themselves utterly exposed to an internationally known untrustworthy criminal. A man who kills opposition and sends agents abroad to various countries to have opponents or people he has old grudges against murdered. A man who has plenty of history of invading places and fabricating excuses.

Yet here we are told to shut our mouths and Germany know what they are doing ?

Give over would you. There's a serious problem at the top in German leadership and has been for a long time. You only have to examine for half a second the ex chancellors position in the Russian senior circles and board memberships. This isn't isolated it isn't accidental.

And it's made Germany absolutely held to ransom. They have to have a serious clear out once all is said and done.

For those whinging about Germany and France making contributions to Ukraine, heres the list of vehicles. The baddie Poles, Eastern Europeans and baddie Brits knocking it out of the park. Poland contributing 172 tanks and 18 Tracked Artillery units. You get the impression the Poles are raging to have a go at the Russians themselves so are settling for the next best thing. You can now add over a dozen Su 25s sneakily shipped to Ukraine by an unnamed Eastern European country

The two pillars of the EU, the shining lights of European values? The Heavyweights of European power?

France and Germany have provided 5 Caesars and some promises:

Not only Nord Stream 2. Germany have a problem to cut their losses. They invested also in Arctic LNG 2. France already written off 4 bln from it, China backed off too, while I think Germany still hope for a miracle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Can someone exain why the West advertise the weapons they are sending to Ukraine. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to do that.

Not that it's new, the Americans armed the Taliban to the teeth in the 1980s and that came back to bite them.

I wonder where some of the western weapons being sent to Ukraine will end up in time.

I'm pro Ukrainian and anti Russia in this war, but I sometimes wonder if some western countries are killing the Ukrainians with their "kindness". They are emboldening them to the point where they won't negotiate with the Russians, but not so much that the Ukrainians can actually win...that means war without end IMO.

It seems to me that the West (and I really mean the US with a bit of help from the Brits) are determined to prolong the war so that the Russians are weakened to the point that it will take the best part of a decade for them to recover and therefore threaten anyone else. By which stage Putin should be a distant memory. Of course that's not to say his eventual successor won't be as nationalistic or worse than Putin himself. It's a clever enough approach. It may actually push Russia towards negotiations sooner as they will realise it is their only option to achieve any kind of win.

The reality is Ukraine isn't going to get all its territory back. Its impossible without NATO actually joining the war, in which case Ukrainian territory will be pretty irrelevant anyway as the whole of Europe would go up in a mushroom cloud.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ukraine is not going to negotiate with Russia while they are invading their lands. Whatever the "west" does is pretty irrelevant to that. You can certainly argue that the West should be sending more, but nothing they are doing is prolonging this.

As to why they are advertising it - it is a public show of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia's only interested in the kind of negotiation that sees all of its demands met, and that's as much a negotiation as a mugging is. Ukraine tried to have peace talks with Russia early on in this and Russia were not interested in any kind of serious compromise.

It's not fair to criticise the West for prolonging the war when it's the Russians who started the war. They get out, and it ends tomorrow. It is the Russians who bear the responsibility for creating the conflict and maintaining it with their presence in Ukraine. No-one is forcing a single Ukrainian to pick up a weapon and defend their country against Russian aggression, but defend their country is what they want to do. In pursuit of that aim, they have asked Western countries for weapons and weapons have been provided. It's simple enough, really.

Ukraine was negotiating with Russia 2 months ago when Russia was invading their lands.

What changed?

The emergence if War crimes was obviously a major factor and understandable.

But also the West started sending heavier weapons and Ukraine started believing they could win.

Look, if I were Ukrainian I wouldn't want to give up any lands either. But I'm not Ukrainian and can therefore look at this more dispassionately. Ukraine is never going to drive Russia out of the Donbass or Crimea. Therefore if what you're saying is true then they are headed for War without end. The only winners in that scenario is the West, which is great for us, but not so for Ukraine.

• Advertisement

Of course it is the Russians that bear responsibility for the war. I'm not really criticising the West. Their tactic (or at least what I think is their tactic) makes some sense. What I'm saying is that a lot of Ukrainians will die in the interim and actually what I think will happen eventually is that the West will start to step back from its support of Ukraine (due to the cost of living crisis, the US wont be able to give them $40bn every 4 or 5 months) and Ukraine will have to do a deal with the devil anyway.

Europe have over 30 LNG terminals and they are all connected to the europesn gas network,so they can pump it straight from the terminal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't know about the other countries, but the US has no choice. All weapons exports must be public. Especially weapons paid for by the US, as Congress has a say in where its money goes. And, yes, that includes the Stingers sent to the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan in the 1980s, they were a matter of public record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

They negotiated when the war started as the feeling was there may be room for compromise. But the Russians as usual showed they are untrustworthy **** and just demanded the sun moon and stars. Oh, then they started raping women and children.

In the interim, the UAF started kicking the **** out of the Russians, and the world suddenly saw, these Russians are just a bunch of overhyped scumbags. Then there was more rape and scumbaggery.

Now at this stage , all Russia has going for it, is the sheet weight of numbers it is willing to throw at this, because as we have seen, they have no care for human life, of any nationality. More rape and scumbaggery, throw in some ultimate scumbaggery like '21 flowers.'

Their country is destroyed, their people being murdered and raped, the people who swore 'never again' sit on their collective ass worrying about their next latte, to afraid to confront one single maniac.

So can anyone tell me why the **** we are still having to explain to grown adults why a sovereign nation should not be willing to fight for their survival, instead of rolling over for some stunted little **** weasel?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I watched a documentary a few months back and it was basically saying its like Rome and Carthage in regards the USA and China that there will be a good few conflicts between them both if it does kick off and they said even if China was to loose the 1st war between the 2 within 10 years they will be more advanced military wise as their equipment will be more then replaced by that time and will be tmore advanced then it is now but in regards to the USA they wouldn't be able to replace the same amount within the 10 years this was especially in regards both their navies. So it said China even if it lost within 10 years it would be stronger then it was before the war took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

When Ukraine survived the critical first few days, against all expectations, it became a possibility the Ukrainians could prevent the entire country from being overrun. The foreign supplied weapons (and intelligence) have been critical. It would be bizarre to do a complete U-turn at this stage.

Ukrainians have utterly zero choice but to fight, the war is 100% up to Putin. Any "peace" deal made with the Russians will only be broken by them down the line, it's grim, but the only hope they have is to give the Russians a severe bloody nose and force the Russians to "claim victory" by holding Donbas, Crimea and a portion of the South.

As for "lives lost", Bucha style cleansing and butchery awaits any territory that falls under Russian occupation.

Poland stepping up as always while France and Germany dither

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think the hope in the West (and that includes the US) is that they can provide enough military aid to bring Putin to the bargaining table.

Even looking at the US, who are usually the most hawkish of the Western allies, I don't see anywhere near the level of support that would enable Ukraine to actually defeat Russia. It's not like they don't have the means to help either. They have vast stores of phased out military equipment that is still far better than Ukraine currently possess which will never see the light of day again. Most of the truly game-changing stuff isn't even on the table of being provided for Ukraine.

I am all for Ukraine and don't want to see Russia win anything, but some realism is needed. Ukraine's situation is still very bleak. They face a larger, richer and better armed opponent and are completely dependent on the kindness of outsiders to just slow Russia down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

25 minute clip so probably not for those with short attention spans. But just a guy with a camera in Ukraine right now with no agenda or political flavouring just showing the state the bloody murdering Russians have left Ukraine in.

Women were covering their faces in mud to avoid the raping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement