Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Are you a US citizen? Do you/have you lived in the US? I'm guessing no because I don't think the vast majority of US gun owners would return their guns on a buyback scheme. Where's your evidence for thinking that the vast majority of gun owners would return them and claim the buyback rate?

You have to remember how entrenched the right to bear arms is in many of the US population. Yes, some guns would be returned, but I can't see the vast majority of them being handed in. The evidence is mixed as to whether gun buybacks are actually effective in reducing gun violence. Earlier studies showed that they weren't effective at reducing gun violence but more recent studies show they have some effect when combined with education programmes.

If you try to make the buyback scheme compulsory as your second paragraph above seems to point to, straight away you are on to a loser. There isn't a hope in hell of the cops going out to remove guns from the general population. And for starters, the cops don't know who owns most of the guns as most of them are unregistered. And watch what will happen if the US threaten to ban certain guns. Gun sales will actually go way up. After Sandy Hook there was talk of banning certain types of guns with the result that gun sales actually went up 3,000,000 more than would normally be expected.

There's no "there may well be armed resistance". There will be armed resistance, by millions of US gun owners if the Government ban guns and send cops out to confiscate them. There would be civil war if the US Government tried to go after people who didn't hand in their guns.

And just to clarify, are you saying all gun owners in the US are criminals or terrorists? Really? This might come as a surprise but the vast majority of gun owners are actually normal law abiding citizens.

I think if you dive deep into the US populace, you'll find that not all gun owners are right wing extremists either. Plenty of people on both sides of the political spectrum are gun owners. And you'll find that most of them won't want to give up their guns either. I mean, if they wanted to give up their guns, they could give them up for free or sell them. And that simply isn't happening on any sort of scale worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There’ll be no real gun control, too many people are comfortable with dead children as a price worth paying for keeping their guns and most importantly the money that gun lobbyists bring in.

The last sentence is the key really, there are to many politicians comfortable with the money and kids dying.

97.99% of donations by the NRA to went to republican members, 1.97% to Democrats and 0.04% to others in the 2020 election year, despite having their leadership on the fiddle, and moving to Texas for sanctuary.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Some of the gun sympathisers read through the above Twitter thread and tell me why any of those people should have all of the guns they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Sad to say it but I'm honestly surprised that there are not a lot more of these types of shootings in America. Given the toxic individualism and narcissism prevalent in that country nowadays, combined with the easy access sick people have to guns, it's almost showing restraint that there are not more attacks.

I would have said it'll take something like the kid of a NRA politician getting killed in a school shooting to wake them up, but I think they are so lacking in morals they would even exploit that for their own gain. Long term I can see some sort of civil war happening, maybe not in my lifetime, but they are well on the road to it. And they'll probably need that, either to clear out the bad blood or else divide it up into different countries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Why shouldn't they? (Except the 16-year-old obviously posing with parents' collection)

None of them have more than two arms and one dominant eye. What difference does it make?

Some of them have some serious money to burn, mind. Those are not cheap collections. (Note the McLaren owned by one of them).

Got me wondering how I could make an 'arty' photo of my collection. Might look a bit anaemic, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

Indeed. And I think the NRA is a large chunk of the problem. They seem to have driven this near fetishisation or worship of guns in the US. Other countries, including Ireland, have guns. Not in the same numbers and generally with heavier restrictions but they are around. It just isn't a healthy way to view an object which is designed to be lethal. They can be useful but should be seen as dangerous tools whenever their use is needed.

This culture mixed in with the easy access of weapons just creates a dangerous cocktail to encourage mass shootings.

Certainly mental health facilities should be improved but that is going to also be as tough a sell to Republicans as gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

Any fresh new polling data on O'Rourke vs Abbott or is timing too sensitive to be asking people?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

On what planet does anybody need to own all of those guns?

It's the makings of sociopathic freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

Jesus. She could nearly invade a small nation with all that gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think 80s action movies and male insecurities have a lot to answer for! Tough guys with guns. Could they not take up boxing or something? Actually that would require some effort. Much easier to buy a gun in the store.

My deterrent to these school shootings and the like: take the shooter alive, throw him in prison in gen pop and live stream his life in prison on YouTube. Let the others see what awaits them if they get any urges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Don't do it! The people in their underwear are particularly cringeworthy. Maybe it's me not being part of the Instagram generation, but I'd just take a picture of the collection without sitting in the middle of the shot in my stars and stripes underpants in a "these objects represent my personality" pose.

A lot of people who work in the mental health field agree that early intervention would help but it needs to be combined with actual gun control.

Especially when the money is being cut and the BS they are spreading is affecting access to services.

I doubt any of them need to own them all.

However, since they can't exactly use more than one at a time (at least, effectively), what difference does it make if they own one or fifty? What's the practical harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, elsewhere on the US holiday weekend:

FWIW Uvalde went GOP big time the last few election cycles, including Cruz, Trump, Abbott. Nothing will change for them, maybe the PD will get reshuffled at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

In fairness to Manic Moran he could also have added Israel to that list of "civilised" (if by civilised you mean countries meeting the minimal requirements of a free-market rule-of-law democracy) that permits its citizens to bear arms. But then, whatever one's position on the Israel-Palestine issue (and let's not disappear down THAT rabbit hole in the course of this discussion) it is uncontroversial to say that Israel's situation is not normal. It is permanently at war, a large minority within its own jurisdiction questions, to say the least its right to exist, and carrying battlefield weapons around is not so much permitted as required by government policy.

So Hurrah!! There are TWO normal democracies outside of the US that permit (under varying degrees of restriction) their citizens to bear firearms. What about all the others? And how are they doing wit regard to gun homicides compared to the US?

It would be very wrong to compare a country the size of Ireland with a country the size of the US but it might be fairer to compare individual states with similar population sizes to Ireland (c 5million) to see how they differ. The following figures are taken from the Washington Post's Police Shootings database (https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/) which records the number of fatal shootings by police in the US by each state. There are just shy of 1,000 people shot dead by cops in the US every year.

Extrapolating data for Alabama and North Carolina, two states with similar populations to Ireland you get the following stats. I have chosen to display the aggregate figures for two full calendar years for reasons which should be obvious.

No of fatal shootings by police in 2020/2021 in Alabama: 40

No of fatal shootings by police in 2020/2021 in N Carolina: 61

No of fatal shootings by police in 2020/2021 in Ireland: 1 (the unfortunate Mr Nkencho)

No of fatal shootings by police in 2018/2019 in Alabama: 24

No of fatal shootings by police in 2018/2019 in N Carolina: 59

No of fatal shootings by police in 2018/2019 in Ireland: 1 (the very deserving Mr Hennessy)

The Washington Post DB goes back to 2015 but the Gardai don't keep statistics on fatal shootings by their members....because there's so few. I have been trying to scour the news sites for listings of cop shootings in Ireland to supplement my own memory but can't lay hands on them. Still, I think an average run rate of one every two years is fairly representative.

I'm not saying that cop shootings are the whole story, any more than school shoot-em-ups are. In fact, this latest tragedy--horrific though it was--will hardly make a dent in the US shootings statistics. But the number of shootings by cops is illustrative of the general threat of lethal violence in a country. America is a very dangerous place to be compared to the rest of the "civilised" world.

And however much we may slurp up their cinema, music, dress sense, fast-food style, technology, social media, business methods etc etc giving people the right to walk around with a Glock (or bigger) in their pants is not something the rest of the world wants to do.

So it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

It's the easy access to military grade weapons. That's it, anything else is whataboutery. Other countries have mental health issues, violence on tv/movies, loose security around schools etc but it's only in America where these shootings happen with any sort of regularity.

No civilian needs an AR-15 (or similar). These are not for hunting or protection, these are for war zones. These could be banned immediately without infringing on 2A rights. The fact that this 200+ old piece of legislation is constantly used to defend the ownership of these weapons is beyond mental.

Sadly I don't think anything will change. It didn't after Sandy Hook and there's nothing to think think time will be any different. The interview of the paramedic on CNN who found out from an injured child that his child had been murdered was beyond heartbreaking and should be played constantly on loop.

America is a really messed up country at the moment. There's a huge push to overturn Roe v Wade to protect the "unborn", once they're born they don't give a fiddlers f**k after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But the sheer amount of guns out there, the value placed on owning them and the fanaticism about never handing them over seems to have much to do with the narratives that are peddled. And ultimately a narrative is just a collection of words that either reinforces a status quo or challenge it. Gun fanaticism in America is not a naturally occurring phenomenon, it is fuelled by narrative.

The problem is that certain US politicians and commentators cannot even bring themselves to ever just call out the problem — they dance around the issue blaming absolutely everything else except the mass proliferation of high powered lethal guns. So the narrative goes unchallenged and the gun lovers continue to cite a constitutional provision enshrined at a time when you would be lucky to get a couple of shots off in a minute, never mind be able to wipe out a classroom full of children in a minute or kill sixty people from a hotel balcony.

What it will take for certain US politicians and commentators to finally risk the ire of their voters and supporters and admit what the real problem is, I just don’t know. But when they do, that will be a big step in the road to cooling down the heads of the gun fanaticists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And every single one of those "illegal" guns were legal at one point - If they didn't get out into the street to start with the opportunity to become illegal wouldn't occur.

As you say , this will probably make more people buy guns not less , but it's a self-fulfilling prophecy . It's easy to get guns , so nutter gets guns and uses them so more people buy guns so now it's more likely that guns will get used.

Fundamentally, this stuff does not happen in any other country , there has to be a reason why and an obvious differentiator is the presence of so many guns through-out society.

Securing schools isn't a long term solution - It's a mitigation and one that sadly maybe needs to be done in the short term while the actual root causes are addressed.

It's the outright refusal by the GOP et al to even have a discussion around Gun legislation is the main problem.

There isn't one solution , there are dozens that are all needed.

Better access to mental health services across the board(Healthcare)

Safer/more secure schools (Education funding)

More Counsellors etc. in schools (Healthcare and Education)

GUN CONTROL - Simple stuff , you can have whatever type of gun you like , but you have to have a license , you have to be older, at least 21 and maybe for certain types of guns you should need to be 25.

However the GOP will talk about "Mental health" and "Securing Schools" but then refuse to vote for increased budgets that might be used to help with those things.

There's an inherent lack of honesty on the part of the defenders of access to Guns , they are unwilling to have a real conversation about it - As evidenced by Ted Cruz running away ranting when asked the simple obvious question - "Why does this only happen in America?"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Because they're a security risk to the state.

The fact that people are saying regulating guns will lead to a civil war in the USA means that they'd better regulate the guns sooner rather than later given that guns don't have an expiry date, and they're just amassing a bigger and bigger arsenal every day that they can use when the insurrection finally begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If there there are laws and situations where something is legal, it is by definition not illegal. Saying something is only legal within the law is completely redundant. That applies to everything. By the above logic it is illegal to drive a car in Ireland (except when in full compliance with legislation abd license conditions) - anyone claiming that made drinking a car illegal would not be taken seriously.

Even if you have a gun license if you're in possession of a firearm anywhere other than the specified purpose for which you have that gun license, its illegal.

Not quite. A person with a firearm licensed for hunting is perfectly entitled to bring his firearm to a range to target shot. A collector could shot clays with his antique shotguns, if he wished.

Self defence or protection is not a valid reason.

If you're not target shooting or hunting or travelling for the purpose of attending a target shooting or hunting activity, that gun needs to be unloaded, kept in a secured, locked safe, often In a disassembled state

If you read back in this thread you’ll see that I was the one who referred to safe storage requirements in Ireland.

For the sake of correctness, for shotgun owner, it only applies applies to 2 or more. A single shotgun does not require a safe.

If your carrying too much ammunition, its illegal, if you walked into any shop or walked down any street carrying a loaded gun, you would be breaking multiple laws regardless of whether you have a license for that gun

Of course. I don’t think that counter anything I’ve said?

If you drove a car into a shop you’d also be breaking multiple laws.

Irelands gun laws are the right way to go. 

Americas 'open carry' and self defense licenses are a recipe for the kinds of massacres they see every day over there

Completely agree. Ireland’s gun laws, while not perfect, are a good example of effective gun control, and safe, legal firearm ownership. defacto proof that it is possible.

Saying that guns are illegal, and implying gun owners are all acting illegally is categorically false. I understand that it may have been slip, in which case a reasonable poster might have simple said "sorry my mistake, I meant regulated". But Instead he decided to double down, insult other posters. Yeah, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No need at all. what ever purpose different firearms have. There’s endless redundancy there. I don’t think there’s any logical reason you could make.

But unlike Ireland, Americans dint need a reason. Wanting to is sufficient. Like somebody who doesn’t need 100 pairs of shoes, can but 100 pairs of shoes.

Preventing the government trying to disarm the people, is literally the reason for the second amendment. Its like a self fulfilling prophesy.

I honestly don’t think any significant changes can happen without revoking the 2nd Amendment. At the assault weapons bans are extended to more states, but I don’t think it has any impact on these incidents.

USA is irredeemable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's no different to someone being an expert on cars or metallurgy or basketball. Tanks are an element of history worthy of study. Would you be saying someone who studies agricultural technology should have given up their interest in tractors as a child?

Manic is a published author on the topic, not a Mitty or someone with a hobby.

How will they use it?

I’m looking for a practical explanation here. They have two arms, one dominant eye. How is someone with 40 rifles more dangerous than someone with one rifle? Is someone with 40 cars a better, worse, less or more safe driver than someone with one car?

If we were to go down the silly hypothesis of gun confiscation leading to armed resistance (the former won’t happen, so the latter won’t either), I think 40 angry people carrying one rifle each would be more of a problem than one angry person dragging along 40 rifles in a wagon behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Democrats hold the presidency, 220 of 435 seats in the house yes, but only 48 of 100 seats in the senate (2 independents caucus with them, making their “majority” 50) and they hold 3 of 6 seats on the Supreme Court…

Some control of all the halls of power

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I’m looking for a practical explanation here. They have two arms, one dominant eye. How is someone with 40 rifles more dangerous than someone with one rifle? Is someone with 40 cars a better, worse, less or more safe driver than someone with one car?

You're being a little disingenuous here, not least because someone can't drive more than one car at a time, but they can certainly carry (and/or shoot) more than one weapon at a time.

Most of the highest-profile mass shooters have carried at least one rifle and a sidearm. The Las Vegas shooter had twenty-four weapons in his hotel room.

I'm not saying that owning multiple weapons automatically makes someone a danger. But every extra weapon owned, is an extra weapon that can be lost or stolen and used elsewhere. The more guns you have, the harder is to secure them all.

People in favour of lax gun laws love to point out that most gun crime is done by illegal-held weapons. But all of those weapons were legally-held at one point. More guns = more gun crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The gun lobby and the conservative politicians have done a great job of making this about schools, all the talk is of security in schools and doors. The narrow conversation just pushes on like mass shootings only happen in schools.

They really are a bunch of sh1ts with the controlling of the narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Aaaaand..... they did nothing about it.

Again.

Advertisement