Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I have no idea what they are selling but I can tell you the airport was so crazy today - and it was absolutely crazy that there was no fast track system open.

Sorry, what might be the more correct verbiage would be to say that the lane was open but it was being operated as a “normal” lane and everyone was using it and allowed to use it as a regular lane such was the volume of people there this morning. It made no difference whether you had a fast pass ticket or not, you weren’t getting through any quicker.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I haven't seen it mentioned here of the fact that nearly all flights out of this place is going from that kip.utter greed from the Dublin airport authority forcing us to fly out of that hole when we have airports in cork and Shannon with hardly any flights to anywhere good forcing us up there to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Flying again on Thursday morning and I'm dreading it now after what happened today. To make matters worse I'm returning from Stansted which is having similar problems plus it's a 4 day bank holiday weekend in the UK for the Queen's jamboree on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

Were both terminals equally bad or was T1 significantly worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

This evening, fast-track in T1 was operating and you skipped the queue on the outside at least. I guess there was still a substantial wait to get through the check itself though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I used to be able to arrive at the airport 1 hour before departure for most flights with hand luggage only. I'd maybe add 15 minutes if flying Ryanair because of the long walk. I'd arrive 90 minutes in advance if flying in the early morning peak during summer. 1.5-2 hours if checking bags. That's what I did in 2019 without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What time was that? Reports fast track shuts at 11am but is operating. I saw multiple tweets from people who went through fast track earlier this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

T1 fast track was open at 9/9.30 this morning. T2 fast track closed at 10.00 on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Could be when they get staffing up to scratch they invest in putting a few more screening points set up somewhere. Need to invest in hiring for them and training but given there are many weeks of peak flight and therefore passenger volumes .. maybe about 13/14 weeks….

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Please read back - I clarified - it was technically “open” but was being used as a regular lane by all passengers; therefore it made absolutely no difference at this time (before 9) to have the fast pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This is an absolute cop out post

People wouldn't be arriving 4+ hours early for a flight if they were confident the airport was performing efficiently and effectively.

Anyone who arrived at the standard 2.5hrs today was in trouble.

This is all on the DAAs management of the airport. Every bit of it. And it goes back months, there was enough time to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Exactly, today has just reinforced the attitude that you need to be arriving 4+ hours before your flight if you want to ensure you'll make it. It'll take some time before the DAA can convince people otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

If today's anything to go by they need to divide some of the flights into Shannon and Cork and lay on the appropriate transport from Dublin.

It will be a much bigger shitshow again if they don't make the changes.

The turnaround from today until next weekend is too short for any meaningful changes at the airport to take effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am flying out Thursday morning....at 735 bloody dreading it now...we are going to aim to be there 330...I don't even think security opens til 4 in T2...but can do bag drops etc. We have paid for parking at airport really close. Not sure we can do much else. They fly to the place once a week...and it's our honeymoon from over two years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Whats aAer Lingus staying about arriving to to airport? Is the standard 2.5 for short haul now 4+ hours. After watching the news today everyone will go 4 hours earlier. And you can't blame them. Amatuer hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They said to add an hour it if needing to use check in and queueing there, but as the queue outside has no difference, that really means everyone has to be there 3.5 hours early really.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

Utter utter shambles today. DAA should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Missed an important long-haul connection out of LHR because of the EI knock-on delays; several others on my flight did too.

It may be an unpopular view, but part of the solution (other than paying enough staff, properly) has to be to manage the people flows. There were people next to me in the queue 5/6 hours ahead of their flights this afternoon, which is entirely understandable given the appalling management and comms, but this magnifies the problem. If it were clear and enforced that you can’t join the queues until (say) 3 hours before your flight then the queues would be smaller and fewer people would be distraught at missing their flights. Simple flow management…

Moving some of the flights to less busy airports might also help and motivate DAA to learn to manage competently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Moving the flights is the best short term thing to do alright imo. Throwing a few flights to Cork, Shannon etc would definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭maebee

My brother and his wife were booked Dublin to Marseille this weekend, for the Leinster game. Because of the madness at Dublin Airport, they were re-routed to Shannon airport. They were well impressed with Shannon airport. In and out in no time. The 2 and a half hour drive from Shannon back to Dublin was a pain but way better than the madness at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I get the rationale but it makes zero sense. You don't just move aircraft and the crews follow to operate those flights (there are huge costs and why should airlines foot that?), it's not a solution and by no means a quick fix. There are economies of scale as to why such large amounts of flights operate from the largest population area in the country, it’s the case in every country (London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris etc..).

This is the responsibility of the DAA who offloaded staff during a crisis thinking purely short term, it has come back to bite them. It leaves an awful taste in people’s mouths to be treated like this, I feel especially sorry for the skeleton staff there, worn out and taking the brunt of what DAA Management have caused.

Comparisons with Cork/Shannon are local politics, it is not logical to compare airports that handle 30M+ (DUB) versus airports handling 2M people per annum. Of course the experience is easier at these locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Out of curiosity what is stopping the government sacking Dalton Philips in the morning to send a message to the rest of the DAA management that this needs to be sorted ASAP.

It has to be the perfect opportunity to finally hold someone accountable in the public service. He is serving out his notice period anyway so the compo would be miniscule. He has no reputation left to protect after this combined with the disaster he left at Morrisons. Plus he has signed a contract with Greencore so while they must be having second thoughts at this point they are stuck with him and he has a job to walk into if the government do sack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

If it were clear and enforced that you can’t join the queues until (say) 3 hours before your flight then the queues would be smaller and fewer people would be distraught at missing their flights. Simple flow management…

Then all you would get is a second queue behind the first with people needed to manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just back from there now could drive up to drop off point no one queuing outside seems to be queues for checking in baggage, person I dropped off said they were nearly at security check at 3.10 but that it looked like queue was building behind them so seemed like more people were arriving at 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DAA is not public service it is a commercial semi state. I agree though he should be long gone...seemingly was a disaster at Morrison's. But I am guessing cost implications to ditch him immediately, and doubt it will fix anything in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

The DAA PR guy Kevin Cullnan is on morning Ireland and said that they are "aggressively recruiting" and had the same number of people through the Airpost as on Saturday when there were no queues but "absenteeism" caused lanes to be closed and therefore the delays yesterday.

Basically DAA are now blaming the staff for not turning up to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well if the staff aren't turning up it means - they can't hack it 😐️

good luck with recruiting new staff but who the hell would want to work in that nightmare scenario anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just at Brussels airport, given it's a major business hub and Monday morning I showed up 2.5hrs before departure (Ryanair advised this too) but I need not have worried-

Securiity- 18 minutes

Passport control-7 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

I’m catching a flight next Sunday at 3pm, originally I intended arriving at the airport a little before midday, however after the reports that were everywhere yesterday, and with airport management forecasting a 50% increase in departing passengers next weekend, it seems an impossibility to know how much time will be required. Realistically it could be anywhere between 3-6 hours…. A nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

All of the daa board should be sacked today, also ceo Phillips should have got the boot a few months ago when it was clear the mess he has created. It must be Government policy to have as many flights from Dublin, Shannon, Knock and Cork should be able to service more than half the Europe traffic. Dublin likely needed for long haul connections. Its amazing that some people on here are quite happy with daa in recent months.

In a way its good enough for us as we put up with it. incompetence what we do best in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah heard that interview aswell. He basically said a number of people didn't turn up for work and they effectively have no backup plan when that happens because they are already maxed out staff wise. So next weekend might be fine if everyone scheduled to work turns up otherwise it'll be same as yesterday.

You'd have to wonder was the sunny Saturday and big sporting events on anything to do with absenteeism 🤔

Advertisement