Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good panel beater in the Dublin area. Bumper took a nasty scrape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I used a guy on Richmond Road to repair my ID3 and a previous Passat.

He came highly recommended and didn't disappoint. Reasonable too. Not sure if I can name him on here so I'll pm details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Got your PM. Much appreciated. I’ll give him a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Did it come with with v2.4 software update already installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

2.3 - and to be fair it could have come with 2.0 and I wouldn’t have noticed- it’s an even better car than we thought after test driving it, and more niche now with so few id3’s being made available. To go from my wife’s Zoe to this is like chalk and cheese, loving the travel assist and blind spot monitoring too 👍🏻

Thanks again for the sound advice-

• Advertisement

Congrats well wear, is it the T5 ?

id3 is a great car to drive alright, I enjoy it for my 1143 - 185 Km commute, travel assist if great but learn it's limitations if you haven't already, if you're driving on a busy motorway and the car ahead jams on the brake too hard you will rear end the other car + Travel assist can't see the more than the car in front so if you see the brakes lock up on the cars ahead be prepared to manually brake.

I find setting the distance from the minimum to mid way or a bit more really does help a lot and gives the car more time to think but on the likes of the M7, N7 People get annoyed if you're not driving on the bumper of the car in front and usually try get around you, having travel assist really makes you aware how close People drive to the car in front.

I wouldn't be without travel assist now, especially for such a torturous commute.

I too love D mode, having the ability to coast is really great.

Still after almost 25,000 Kms I am more than happy with the T5, great range and comfortable, very refined car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s a great car. Weirdly underrated. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Agree 100%. Loved my 58kWh. For refinement, power, efficiency and value there was little could touch it. Just a pity VW concentrated more on higher profit models, similar to other manufacturers. Had the price stayed around 33K for similar to the First, there would be loads around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

How are you finding the Tesla by comparison? What do you miss and what’s better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Interesting question, a difficult one to answer.

The one thing I probably miss most is the auto regen. Made driving so relaxing and probably saved me from exceeding the speedlimit a few times. Also the VW probably slightly quieter overall. (But made up for by a far better sound system in the Tesla)

Otherwise love the Tesla, the power and efficiency. But VW close enough efficiency in warmer months, but not at motorway speeds. Suspension in Tesla definitely better, VW a little too firm and choppy on some roads. For some the Tesla may be a little low and awkward to get in/out versus the height and hatchback being practical in the VW, but hasn't been a problem for me as yet.

Software of course far better in Tesla, already have had two largish updates (About 1 per month). Can all be done from app, which is far better than the VW one. But VW not as bad as often made out, never let me down. Tesla UI also superb.

Overall, personally I think the ID.3 and the Model 3 are probably the two best EVs on the road 😁. But is the Tesla Model 3 worth about €15K more? (At time I bought my ID.3). Probably not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Have two qs for the audience here.

1. Did 1st edition come with the low washer liquid warning? If it did then mine doesn't work (filmed it this time). I know that on the continent a few people had their reservoirs replaced due to the faulty level indicator. Here I couldnt get a straight answer from the dealer.

2. Have anyone successfully got a placement of the boot release? My vw logo fell apart in November. Replacement was ordered at the end of November. Now its almost June and the dealer still haven't got the part from vw. Shortage of parts, war in Ukrane and other reasons were quoted. No dates were given either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

My washer fluid just runs out, no light or anything in the dash. 1st Edition also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, same here, Seva. No indication of low washer fluid. ID3 first plus, in case you had forgotten 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My low washer fluid warning works fine. First edition also.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Yeah mine does too. I’ve a first plus. I wasn’t in the first set of deliveries so got it in October. So don’t know if there was a manufacturing change between the builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Yep, the badge fell off my boot release too - got it replaced without difficulty prob end last year. Not sure exactly but wasn’t a long wait - few weeks maybe at most.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

My washer fluid warming didn’t work initially but a widget was replaced when my car went in for the 2.1 software update. The dealer had it in their system as an instruction from VW. My car was in the first batch off the boat in September 2020, 1st edition plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

How has it been since they replaced it?

Mine fell apart in 2021 too and I just managed to put it back together myself. However it does still "click" a bit everytime I use it which is annoying so I'm tempted to try to take it apart and rebuild again!

• Advertisement

It’s been fine since getting replaced. (It was fine beforehand too though - it just sorta happened without warning: was working normally until it just came off in my hand one day). Seems to be a not uncommon issue.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

going back this happened to me as well. When I blew threw my continentals and got them replaced they mentioned doing this. Still have the receipt and it’s on there. So being a later first model wasn’t the issue it wasn’t initially working. I’d say all first editions probably need it, so I’d ring the dealer and see. I also hardly ever use it so took a while to find out and get VW to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

How are people finding the usable range of the T5 v the base Model 3?

the newer model 3 has a 100-0% battery, while the T5 has a higher capacity, with 80-10 range - but I’m assuming they’ll both do a similar max usable range?

im looking for something with at least 350km winter range, for a return trip we do a lot.

big diff in price though it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What do you mean 100-0% and 80%-10%?

You'll not get that in the standard 58kWh car - I can get about 400km in summer (without climate control on) so you can take ~25% off that, more if you're journey involves motorway journeys at 120km/h.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The T5 was only available with the bigger battery I think.

I presume he means that the range of the Tour 5 (with 77kWh battery), using 80% of the battery, is similar to the total range of the smaller 58kWh battery model.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The 77kWh model isn't available to order at the moment. The 58kWh is the only model. It won't do 350km in winter. At the moment, the weather is almost perfect for efficiency, and there's a regular journey I do that is about 110km (about 70% motorway @120km/h, 30% 60/80 km/h back roads) that takes about 30 - 35% of the 58kWh battery to do. If your journey has a similar split, the 58kWh might just about do 350km in the summer. When VW reduced the range to a single model, the decision was to be reviewed in the second half of the year, and they may increase the range available to order. If you need a 77kWh, then the choice is to buy secondhand, get a Cupra Born or increase in size to ID4/ID5/Buzz.

I don't know if there is any possibility of destination charging on your 350km return trip, or if you make a stop somewhere where you can charge. If there's no destination charging, and the journey is time sensitive/you're not willing to stop and charge, then the 58kWh ID3 is not sufficient for your needs.

On the 80 - 10 range comment, assuming you are talking about the recommendation to not charge to over 80%, there's no need to limit yourself to 80% charge if you are going to embark on a long journey. Issues really only appear if you leave the car sitting with the battery at an extremely high or low state of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Re this: It won't do 350km in winter.

it will if you cut back the speed, heat the seat and not the whole car. however it might drive him mad if not driving at 125

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

And also do not drive at 120km/h, that will save a nice percentage. Regarding heat just put on a jacket and leave the heat off. That last part I actually drive like that mostly even in a ICE. I am not actually fond of heat. I don't like being too hot.

Advertisement