Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As input prices and output prices rise, the direct payments remain the same. Does that mean, the spending power of direct payments is reduced overall? e.g. if you had a SFP of 8k in 2020, then that'd buy you 10 weanlings at 800/head, but the same 8k in 2022 will only buy you 8 weanlings at 1000/head.

I've always lived with a small SFP so I never grew to depend on it to keep the show on the road.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

The whiteheads were definitely good value, they wouldn’t be over fit but good enough to factory all the same. They’d be expected to kill out around 380-390kgs so should make from €2,050 to €2,100 in the factory.

The last heifer would have been the worst value for buyer. She’d kill around 455 - 465kgs so if she’s a U grade should come into about €2,550-€2,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭locha

aax steers this week 5.80 flat… refused 5.60 about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What age were the HEX. Unusual if they were under 30 months and not fit at that age. There hair is a give away. They need a good dose of copper

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Have given copper bolus to cattle two months ago and their hair still looks like those hex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Nothing about movements, age, weights even bord bia in some cases. They really took the piss before this

Copper Boluses can be too slow release. That Tawney hair needs a quick hit. Copper sulphate in a dose. The hair can also point to slight liver damage sure to fluke. The copper will kill any fluke remaining in the liver.

There is a mineral drench that will help as well. If they were mine I give them an ivermectin super injection ( 56 day withdrawal I think may be longer) and a copper dose twice a week to ten days apart.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Robson99

6 or 7 ml of copper injection into the muscle would do the trick as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would too much copper be dangerous? Or is 10 days enough for it to leave the system

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That's what we do with bought in stock and it's easy to administer relative to a down the neck bolus. Having said that we mineral bolus our home bred/reared stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

Usually when you feed meal that tinge in the colour goes. Many beef finishing rations have cooper in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We've high molybdemeum in our soil so It didn't matter how much copper we poured down the neck there was no benefit..... even the drenches claiming protected copper. A blanket recommendation for every farm isn't wise

The copper injections were the best and easiest in the cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

How often did you have to give the injection? I thought the injection was only a short term think that gave them a boost for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Twice a year It's twenty years ago now. We used coprin, it was a blue paste then that each dose came in a seperate syringe.

Two doses kept them right for the year,

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Any quotes for bullocks and heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Got €5.30 base price for heifers this morning. U= coming in at €5.68/kg all in and U- €5.62 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

What has changed in the beef market to see a change from circa 4.00/kg (for about 20yrs!) to 3.50/kg to 5.40/kg. In the space of 2 yrs.

Everybody says supply and demand. Ireland roughly supplies 35,000 head a week and this hasn't changed in years.

Input cost has certainly risen but would this have any effect on the cartel. Why would they care...there's still 35,000 aanimals a week that need to go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Maybe Larry is controlling the market? Funny how people blame him when prices go down, but never thank him when they go up.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Larry is still controlling the price in the factory as it isn't reflecting some of the prices in the marts, I put up yesterday that I am getting €5 /kg for cull cows but in the mart these type of cows are freely making €2:80 - €3 / kg. But it doesn't add up how the price has jumped up in the last 6 - 12 months.

Good heavy beef bred cows are probably the most valuable animals on the farm at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Brazil beef has risen in price due real dollar rate. This make is more expensive to import into the states. The collapse in euro dollar rate has had a big impact. Added to the fact that containers are hard to get and all out of sync. Throw in the effect of rising oil and grain price and the potential for a reduced supply of beef.

Perfect storm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, I wouldn't be making plans based on current beef prices staying as they are.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

They still are on top. Our prices are 10c/kg below the EU average. When you factor in the extra that is paid for mart animals going up the line as well as there own feedlot costs the average punters s 20+c/kg below the EU average.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

With the great prices and increased costs farmers are no better off, but how much has the price changed what the customer is paying. Giving any increase in the shop also includes energy hikes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Replacing cattle is the killer this year. Shur the heifers I bought at 650 and 335 kgs in December, they'll be good to Danzy this year.

The ones for next year. Its getting hard to justify the ball of money tied up in 60 cattle.

The only thing that seems like value at the minute is the middle of the road suckler cow with a calf a foot. Especially if they ain't back in calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Of course Larry is controlling the price in the factories that he owns; how could he not? Or more accurately he decides the price(s). BUT he must select prices that ensure a flow of cattle. This is determined by the demand in the markets, which is buoyant currently. Hence the enormous price increases.

If anybody doesn't like the factory prices they can sell in the marts. I have done so recently.

But due to Larry's control of the offal processing he is also controlling the price offered by other factories, that why all factories are still quoting more or less the same base price, but agents for some factories are giving 10 -20% more for animals for direct slaughter in the marts. Neighbour here would kill about 70 bullocks from now until August, he showed 30 of them in the Mart last week (got from €2,000 - €2,5000 for them) and intends bringing out another 30 in a few weeks, he is going to cut a load of silage bales (has his own machinery for it) and either sell them or buy stores depending on price next September/ October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

If Larry controls the factory prices for ALL the factories - as you assert - why then is he INCREASING prices week after week?

If he has such control why not keep prices static - or reduce them?

Your 'theory' is utterly wrong.

Northern buyers and export market alway push prices to the maximum. To compete with these factories have had to increase their prices.

• Advertisement

There is another factor entering the market at present. I think some smaller abattoirs are slaughtering to order for lads that have set up small export businesses. These may be being exported to butchers in the UK is my understanding. They buy directly from.farms or at the mart

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement