Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

I hope Bruce Springsteen booked his room in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

It's fairly common to have apartments over supermarkts even in Ireland though no? Just thinking now, Dunnes in Briarhill and Edward square in Galway have apartments over them.

Its definitely properties like this that need to be prime targets for a vacancy tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

The second paragraph of that article states there will be two quarter % increases - one in July and one in September. The debate is whether the increases will be higher than a quarter % and that has not been ruled out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They've actually altered the article, seems focused on interest rate rises coming before October but not achieving 0% until then.

They were also reporting on how the Fed were cooling off on the prospect of aggressive rate hikes - but then a couple of hours later the minutes of the Fed meeting actually indicated that they could go much further on rising rates, well above and beyond what they anticipated even a few weeks ago!

Then on the other hand we've new data yesterday which shows that inflation in the US may have peaked and is starting to come down and is lower than anticipated by the Fed, which is bringing into doubt whether they will proceed as planned with the September rate hike should the current trajectory continue.

All in all, so much uncertainty. Although it is interesting that all of the Central Banks seem fairly wedded to the prospect of keeping close to historically low interest rates should inflation subside. I suppose that's the new normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Watching the ECB 'threatening' to tame inflation is reminiscent of the unintimidating drunk at the pub loudly asking his friends to 'hold me back'...

• Advertisement

Macroom showing signs of the problems and working on developing solutions

Our climate and much of our land the best in the world for growing trees, it looks like a solution that dare I say it could be a silver bullet into the future.

Beef and most other meats is unprofitable and heavily subsidised, a push towards forestry would possibly make alot of sense from so many different aspects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

We should be aggressively attempting to turn our beef and dairy farmers towards the likes of hemp. As you say, heavily subsidised and unprofitable without grants as well as being inefficient and unsustainable in a general sense. The last few years with the decline in meat consumption it should start to become clear that in fact beef and dairy are not necessary for our diets.

This is something that could in fact be part of a sustainable future investment plan for the country but of course FF and FG don't want to plan for the next ten, twenty, thirty etc years. Rewilding, reopening the countryside to walkers instead of allowing landowners to fence in their open field and not allow anyone walk through/in it is ridiculous. The least densely populated country in the west of Europe and we have a housing crisis, partly because we are stuck in this 50 years ago mindset while tip toeing towards a different economic model; change is hard for the majority of Irish people, particularly when it comes to land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Inflation will come down itself. The prices shouldn't be going up too much on a month by month basis so as the year goes on, inflation was already ramping up last year, meaning that inflation % will drop as it's a yearly comparison.

The problem though still persists with the huge job vacancies which means people will job hop for pay increases. What did they say in the papers at the start of the year, they expect average wage increase to be 5%? When companies need to pay higher wages, they'll up ther prices and it's a vicious circle.

The Fed want to destroy these vacancies in the US.

Also just to remember that slowing inflation means current prices stay the same and don't decline. So people will, unless they have gotten 15-20% increases in their cash the last two years, struggle to meet current prices. With the employment shortage, it seems to point to higher wages still in order to attract employees. Or else more flexible working conditions, eg wfh or work from another country. Difficult to predict but worth noting that the central banks control the asset bubble so it can be predicted what will happen if you follow what they are doing. The sense that interest rate rises might not happen soon or be lower than anticipated is likely an indication of the opposite that will happen; the central banks do like to try not be governed by market expectations so I think to get relaxed about rate rises now would be to do so at your peril. What that means is be careful with a mortgage rate that isn't fixed, which may end up being a couple or more percent higher in a couple years, and how much extra hundreds per month that will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

I thought it was just me.......allow farmers to fence in their land 🤔

I didn't see a corresponding mention of where the homes will come from to house these workers, because it would surely be necessary to match the granting of these work permits with the housing available for them. Anyone able to point me to such an announcement?

Basket case of a country.

More than 40,000 non-EU workers will be granted work permits this year in a bid to ease pressures in the labour market, the Department of Enterprise has said.

This would be a considerable increase on the 16,275 permits provided in 2021.

Oh, well you've told me.

Stick to farming I think and discussing these matters with the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Is that in addition to the victims of the Ukraine war? Seems a lot given the lack of housing..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Colleague bought house for X around 9 months ago. They paid 16% above asking price. Same house a few doors down is now asking for 40% above my colleagues house asking price.

Rather good vid explaining how housing is where it is, applies to the US, but people will see the similarities with our own

Good advise for potential buyers at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

Hello everyone. I’ve officially accepted the country has lost all hope for house seekers..

A house in an estate in Maynooth is now going for nearly a million.. Granted a nice large house but still completely bonkers.. bidding started under 900k last weekend and is now over 960k with 5 bidders in mix.. these houses sold new for 600k including the extensions and second floor conversion included. Even the current residents think it’s complete and utter madness..

so much for working really hard to try to buy or build your dream home - good luck to that.

im finding it so unbelievable depressing and disheartening. Is there any light at end of this property and cost of living crisis? Or is it time to just pack up and emigrate

https://www.sherryfitz.ie/buy/house/kildare/maynooth/12-castlepark-view

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Farming is the backbone of the economy if you strip out all the MNC’s. Yeah kill that and replace with trees forcing more people into urban centres it would definitely improve the housing crisis!!!!

Farmers are an important part of the eco system as long as it is not intense farming.

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you go into the. Farming and Forrestery forum you will see the distain for the IFA.

The IFA is no longer the lobby group of farmers.

You should discuss property with the tree's or there huggers

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

More HAP is higher rents in Ireland and therefore higher wages needed to pay for these rents for those not getting the HAP. More government spending being wasted on propping up the housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭jo187

I totally agree, but on the other side of the coin, I have no hope unless I can get hap.

If I can get hap, I can go on the social housing list, sure it might be ten years but there noting else for someone like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Surely SF are reaching a saturation point at these polling levels?

Latest poll shows Sinn Féin is more popular than Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil combined

Amid rising public concern about the housing crisis, Sinn Féin on 36% is now more popular than Fine Gael (20%) and Fianna Fail (15%) combined.

The Red C poll conducted for the Business Post showed Sinn Féin’s support up two points compared to a month ago.

Agreed

I'm talking about rebalancing, if you travel through the countryside there is land ideal for trees left bare with cows sheep etc

Most farmers work to supplement income, additional rural industry like that facility in Macroom would aide rural economy

Maybe the grant system is encouraging ineffeciency. I do believe they are paid to leave land idle currently

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

That's insane. Guts of a million euro for a house in an estate, with a small garden. It's a beautiful big family home and Maynooth is a very desirable town but 600 to 700 is where it should be. If it was a one-off with a large garden, avenue entrance etc, maybe. It can't be the dream for someone with a million to spend, so more likely someone stretching themselves far too much - which may end in tears. Too much risk at this point.

Ffg need to wake up. SF far exceeded there poll numbers in the last election and purely because of housing.

The cynic in me is saying there playing the long game and leaving the economy at maximum risk come the next crash and it will be left to SF to clean it up, similar to what happened to Labour in the last crash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@BettyBoo2011

im finding it so unbelievable depressing and disheartening. Is there any light at end of this property and cost of living crisis? Or is it time to just pack up and emigrate

Some people here have already opted for the latter. All I see out of the current administration is deliberate effort to avoid any supply-side solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

I am beginning to feel Ireland will always be a basket case. When we get money as a State we just squander it. We rip each other off at every turn, we rip visitors off all the time and are so short sighted it's depressing.

If I did not have commitments I would seriously consider leaving Ireland. We never seem to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Pretty much my story. Since Covid-19 (or rather the Irish state's fend-for-yourself response to it) trashed my life, not wanting to deal with Ireland's A&P market post-Covid was a no-brainer. Everything I have read in the news since actually leaving mid-2021 points towards biting the bullet being the right decision.

The census results should be interesting. I think more people left and never returned than the CSO estimates captured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Forestry can be considered a type of farming - you grow a profitable resource then sell it. Only issue is the actual readiness of your "crop" takes far longer than beef or others

When you take the CAP payments into account, forestry can be more profitable than beef. Due to carbon emissions BS Ireland cannot remain as beef producer for lots of the world, the export market (and domestic to an extent) will have to shrink unless carbon measurements are changed, so some farmers will have to change up - forestry (something we are heavily reliant on imports of) is a strategic and profitable choice.

Advertisement