Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

What phone did you have previously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

I lasted 1 day with the 6 there the weekend and sold it. Too bulky/clunky. Someone in work has the Pro and it feels so much better in hand, probably partially to do with the curved screen (which I don't normally like)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

Hiya, have been gifted a 6 Pro with a broken screen which needs to be replaced. Has anyone else got this done recently? I know the curved screen is going to drive the cost up but just wondering what ballpark cost is? Also, who is good for repairs?

Yep - OP5 has a 3300mAh battery.

The P6 battery is nearly 40% bigger at 4614mAh so that alone would make the P6 feel heavier then your used to.

OP screen also is 5.5" vs P6 at 6.4"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Screen size isn't actually that different (or well phone size). There's more of a bezel on the OP5 so the actual difference is about a mm height and width. It is a larger screen though and it's a pain to use hand across all of it (but that's the way phones are gone now sadly). Depth wise you notice a difference and on weight it's a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

I love my Pixel 6's features but really wish it was 10-20% smaller/lighter. I'd happily sacrifice screen size (and battery size if really required - presumably the smaller screen size would help reduce the impact of losing that). It seems to be a really common complaint from people I know who've bought it or were thinking of buying it.

I say that as a 6ft+ decent sized man too, I can only imagine how impractical phones of this size would be for a woman with smaller hands/smaller pockets. Or even just smaller men in Asia or wherever.

I'm surprised more manufacturers don't release flagship phones with a smaller version. There must be a decent market for them.

If there was a market for them they would be making them, so safe to assume their not.

Hence why Google make the Pixel 'A' series. Mid-market price with similar features but cheaper materials and generally smaller size (not always).

The 6A may well suit your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

The 6a is a big step down in the camera department and in the materials. Its nowhere near flagship quality unfortunately.

"If there was a market for them they would be making them, so safe to assume their not" was said for years in the mid 2010s when camera quality effectively plateaued for 3-5 years. But thats turned around rapidly now in the last couple of years. So I wouldn't place a huge amount of faith in that being the reliable metric of demand assessment.

I'd wager it has a lot more to do with manufacturers not being able to charge as much for a mid sized phone, and the fear that selling a mid sized flagship phone would cannibalize sales from the larger, more profitable, flagship phones, than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Smaller size disproportionately affects battery size and it will also limit size of cooling solutions which will lead to reduced processor performance due to increased throttling under load. There is less room for camera components and other packaging issues. While this may not have mattered as much in the past (with lower performing chipsets, the need to only include 1 camera, etc.), there seem to be too many compromises for many manufacturers to be too bothered about doing compact models these days and probably too many resulting "Cons" listed in reviews to make them a big success outside of a limited number of users who desire such models. Profitability will undoubtedly also play a role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Got the pixel 6 a couple of weeks ago. I've had to charge it twice a day for the past couple of days which has been disappointing. Like it other than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You have to charge it twice a day? With regular use on a single charge I have 20 to 30% left at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm only getting around 12 hours battery myself. Thinking of getting rid

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

You should be getting a lot more than that unless you are doing something very intense with the phone. I'd scrape nearly 2 days out of the battery if I was being careful but doubt I'd go much over 60% usage on any given day. You may have a rogue app or setting and it's probably worth factory resetting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

Got mine 2 days ago and have had to charge it once, that's listening to podcasts during work and running twice with it and GPS tracker.

Have you checked what's draining the battery and have you completed all updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

Now that we have had so nice weather does anyone else find that the fingerprint senor will never work when outside on a sunny day?

Another problem I have had is that when I turn the torch on the screen gets brighter, I point the torch away from my face in the hope of not being blinded only for the screen to do just that :(

On battery this is one area I have found very good, I only charge every second day. But I am on WIFI for most of it. One day when I had no WIFI I used up 70% because I was on mobile data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, bang up to date with OS. Have checked running apps and don't see anything really taking up too much. As I have it as work and personal (Personal ESIM, work physical SIM) I do have some work-type stuff/checks running in background. But I was able to get two days out of my OnePlus 7Pro

Overall, I'm not really impressed. Which is a pity. I wanted to like this. I'm pretty agnostic regarding Android phones. I have no preference. I TYPICALLY hover around OnePlus and Samsung but have had Sonys and HTCs.

Maybe I'll do a factory reset but I suspect I'll trade it in if that doesn't sort my issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks - i have an aawireless android auto dongle that i wont be using again as my car now has wireless android auto by default. Thought id offer it here first. Very useful gadget. Waiting list to get them - if you fancy it at 70 euro let us know via pm.. ill probably pop it up on adverts later in the week

cheers,

mick

https://9to5google.com/2022/01/21/aawireless-review-android-auto-dongle/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Someone bought from me last night - is the wait time still as long? i found it a deadly solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

No the wait is about 2 weeks I think so not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone having awful Bluetooth issues?

Dropping connections to car or headphones after taking a call. Having to restart the phone to get it working again.

I'm completely up to date with... well - updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm having trouble with Google Home in the last few weeks. The only thing that's different is my upgrade to the Android 13 beta. I think I'm going to downgrade back to 12 tomorrow. I don't think I'll be missing out on much, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rcreedana

I've been having the same issue. Mentioned it here a few weeks ago but nobody else mentioned being affected. I logged a bug report for it so hopefully it'll be addressed at some point.

It used to be every time after a call but now it's only sometimes. Very hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Battery has gone poor on my Pixel 4a, thinking of getting the Pixel 6. Still worth getting now you reckon and what's the best price it has been?

Google had a sale there with €100 off, but thats over. It full price now (€650) but you get a bonus Chromecast with Google TV worth €70.

VF offer is also full price with a free Nest Hub with €100 (in google store - Currys have it on sale for €70 at the moment).

Pixel 6A will be released later this year and probably will be ~€450 ish

Be careful anyone on the 13 beta and leaving the program. I opted out last night and the rollback to 12 failed. Left phone in recovery mode. Had to adb side load latest 13 beta ota again and the update on phone to get back to 12

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Warbeastrior

I have a Redmi Note 10 Pro but haven't looked after it so its well battered.

Looking to get a new phone. Had the Google Pixel 3a XL and was a big fan of it.

Main requirements are a top quality camera.

Are the Google Pixels a worthwhile upgrade? I would like a headphone jack but its not a necessity.

Unfortunately like many phones these days there is no headphone jack, although the 6a may have one (I haven't checked the specs)

As for the camera I think it's top quality especially when it's combined with Google's algorithms, my sister has a cannon DSLR it's a few years old by now but still it's a good quality camera and honestly comparing photos from a recent family event I'd have to say photos from my Pixel 6 Pro look better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Thanks for the reply. I saw the Pixel 6a was due out soon but I don't think it'll have a headphone Jack. The 5a has one though but the camera is worse on that one.

Advertisement