Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

I think a far more likely cause for the absenteeism is work related stress. If that is the reason, then the problem is only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Who hired the staff and let the experienced staff go...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No doubt the DAA were in receipt of government supports during Covid and yet still proceeded to let critical staff go.

These people are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Reality is is that these executives simply do not respect the staff and see them as disposable. They fail to see the services that they actually provide. So letting them go was probably something that didn't see a lot of discussion or risk analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I deliberately tuned into Morning Ireland to hear Cullinane. Talk about trying to polish a turd and roll it in glitter. I don’t envy his job right now, but it was an awful interview. Blaming staff for not turning up will not have a positive impact internally, it’s far more likely to make things worse from a morale perspective.

The whole interview focused almost exclusively on missed flights - not much on the huge inconvenience on all passengers involved in yesterday’s fiasco, esp. the elderly and children etc.

No refreshments offered (not even water) to those waiting 4+ hours in queues.

It was “we had a bad day yesterday and we’re sorry” , but given what I heard I think the airport will have a few more of these during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the bulk of the population is in the Dublin area. that is where the flights are wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,684 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BringBackMick do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

The problem rests with the man at the top... dalton philips. Time for him to move on and let someone with the right experience fix this problem quickly.

And the failed security audit "is an issue"... do ye think?? Might it be because you've let all your experienced staff go?🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Why don't Are Lingus let the 10k bag holder's board without having to check in. We know its a money spinner but Ryanair let pax board with the free carry on bag.

In Beauvais the airport is tiny but only people with an imminent flight are allowed to board through passport control. It means you will get called and you will make your flight. No guess work, same as warsaw modlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

My thought was actually to pay the security staff from Cork/Knock/Shannon overtime and travel allowance to come work in Dublin for the weekend when its going to get really busy. Bring the staff to the planes rather than the other way around.

• Advertisement

Yes but Dublin is not working. More than half the population are as close to another Airport. Its a joke and being going on for nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This post from the 7th of July 2021...

The DAA had all of this time to evaluate the scenarios going forward and plan, but instead they sat back in the scratching chair and turned on the record players while:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

and that's how it has been in Dublin for most of the last few months outside of morning peak.

Yesterday's problems were caused by people arriving at 4.30am for 10am and 11am flights.

One guy complaining that he arrived at 4am for 9.45 flight and it took 4 hours - well sir, YOU were part of the problem.

DAA need to have control at the carparks from 4am - 9am and prevent people getting on busses to the airport until 3 hours before their flights. Same with those being dropped off and coming on busses - no entry up til 9am unless your flight is within 3 hours.

It is as simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭CH3OH

The problem now is that everyone is arriving so early that the airport is becoming congested with people hanging around for up to 6 hours for fear of missing their flight.

They can't check in their baggage as the check in desks are not open

Perhaps the DAA should restrict access to no earlier than 3.5 hours.

Perhaps they could use the Quick park car park as a buffer zone where passengers go and are transferred by bus in order of flight departure? .. as in you cant access the departure area 6 hours before your flight.

I dread what to think what the bank holiday weekend will be like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Who was the bag drop off with? Ryanair's website still say drop off opens 2 hours prior to departure time. Anyone know if this is still the case or can you drop off earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

We're flying Donegal - Dublin arriving T1 and then Dublin -Rodez T2, as we've gone through security in Donegal already is there a way of getting to T2 without having to go security again? I can't figure it out from the DAA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

As has been said before no on has any confidence in the DAA so why take the chance. My strategy to getting my relation up there for 2.30 am for a 7.30.flight paid off through security in about 40 minutes then they just sat down and rested for a couple of hours no stress other then boredom.

How was the queues this morning I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The sad issue is with all that Dublin airport mayhem, that the "irish answer" will be, something down the line like "it's not only happening in Dublin, but other airports as well". Yes, I think it's happening in other airports as well, but in Dublin it's a bit extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's some mess in fairness, the whole airport security concept is out dated anyway and not necessary in this day in age surely there's a better way.

Just let people arrive and go straight to their gate. No security getting on a bus or a train so stop wasting people's time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I was just pulling off and it was down towards the Ryanair section again I was just looking in from the car so couldn't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭tinytobe

What are the real alternatives?

Would it make any sense to fly to and from Belfast city airport? - an connect somewhere for long haul?

A train ride from Dublin to and from Belfast is certainly more pleasing than queuing for hours and hours, sadly sometimes with no result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Is most of problem with early morning flights? Does it ease as the day goes on?

Flying in 3 weeks for a 14:10 flight where we will need to check backs with Ryan Air in T1.

I would like to arrive at the recommended time if early arrivers are part of the problem but obviously want to take no chances of missing the flight.

Any point of adding fast track to the Ryan Air booking?

So 1,000 people miss their flights and not a single department director of board member seems to be in trouble.

Don't you love that the higher in an organisation the more you can fu<k up, without consequence.

If I hear the head of the DAA talk about how they are offering the going rate fo security staff, once more. If you can NOT hire people at the rate/conditions you are offering then you are not offering an attractive package.

DAA were on the radio months ago saying that this could NOT happen, because of the measures they had put in place. They had been warned that this was brewing, it was not something unforeseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Tippman24

People on here saying it is Dalton Phillip's fault for this fiasco. It is not. It is the fault of the fools who offered him the job in the first place. Fired from Morrisons due to huge drop in turnover and he is then offered the job of being in charge of the main airport in the country. Now going to join Greencore. I wonder how the board of that Company are feeling about this gob----- this AM becoming CEO in September.

I made it up some weeks ago and a security person would take 15 years to pay Dalton Phillips salary for a year.

And he has being sacket from Morrisons, Fcuked up daa, gets a better job, Great country.

Kevin seems to be in line for the job.

So now its nothing to do with daa. it needs to be put in private hands i be thinking. same as hse headless chickens running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Are they offering compensation

Advertisement