Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Some gamers would be interested in those speeds too. In 2023 we could be looking at some games getting close to 1tb in file size. The likes of Call of Duty is already around 500megs. On a 150meg connection the time to download some of those games could still get close to half an hour but with 1Gbps or faster this would get cut down to a few minutes at most as long as the Xbox or Playstation Networks aren't holding it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The new upgrade map doesn't seem to take into account any of their current fibre coverage. In their defence to get the link to the new map you have to have gotten a failure on the old map. It is unnecessarily confusing though and one map, that includes everything, would be better.

The figures are from the NBI site, though it is a bit awkward to notice them. On the Political Reps page there is a County dropdown. For each County the premises passed figure is listed. The site is pulling the data from this javascript file:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Don't ever bet against anything that does something faster than before. Industries will be built on the capabilities of ever-increasing speeds.

"Why would anyone ever need X" is a trap a lot of people fall into...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

The map is weird, I was trying to check out a place in Tramore...

I zoomed in to Tramore but the green blobs, that seem to show where fibre upgrades are supposed to happen, vanished and I was kind of lost as to what to do next. I zoomed in further but there were no "green blobs" to guide me.

Eventually I figured out that clicking on a specific place got something to happen.

Nice effort but not a very intuitive interface really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Interesting. Checked my own area and we are included despite being in the NBI rollout too (2025/26).

Looking at my area specifically, it circles each house individually with a blue outline type blob and it looks like its everyone thats on the current FTTC that gets below the 30Mb speed, so im assuming they are basically going to upgrade every single premise on FTTC that doesnt get above a certain speed.

Not holding my breath on that or NBI getting done anytime soon but at least there is some hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Cobh back to July/ August , Christmas looking good 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Same here in Passage. It seems that the west side of Cobh, Passage, Monkstown, Blackrock, Mahon, Little Island and Carrigtwohill are all on the same timeframe. This is my tenth time being pushed back , original dates Nov 2020-Feb 2021. NBI reassured me last week that we would be ready to connect by May 31st even though there hasn’t been a kn or nbi van around since last summer when they put up the fibre cables. I wonder why they’re having such trouble connecting this area, Passage and Monkstown in particular as they were originally supposed to be part of the Carrigaline DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

The absence of timeframe is important. It's in Eircom's interest to sow confusion and buy themselves more time. Simply announcing stuff does not carry an obligation to actually do it. NBI must wait until 2026 or later before starting the clean up after Eircom’s littering.

Claimed regulatory restrictions did not prevent them from giving indicative timeframes for the 300K concession. Albeit they weren't very accurate, at least it was possible to tell whether you were at the back or front of the queue.

The mismatches between the Department’s and Eircom’s view of reality suggests they're not cooperating with the Department to avoid duplication or omission.

1. VDSL failures (intervention area) according to the Department that are already covered by FTTP according to Eircom.

eg N91 W2V5

2. Exclusion areas (NBP blue) according to the Department that will not be upgraded by Eircom’s IFN or 200K according to Eircom’s maps and seemingly will remain on VDSL when all is finished.

eg N91 V6X6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

This is an odd one, a neighbour of mine is in the same da as me (obviously), and his nbi status is July August, while houses either side of him are currently ready to order.

Now the interesting thing is, he had been in the "build in progress" state while his neighbours were "ready to order", and he seems to have gone to the July and August date at thr same time the cobh area was updated, but he is no where near the conh area.

Again, nbi have passed his house, there are dps installed North and south of his house, all his neighbours houses are ready to order, and yet he is "July august"

Is thus just a dB error ? He contacted nbi and they said the still had some work left to connect his house, but that makes no sense at all

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

N91 V6X6 is passed by both Openeir and Siro networks currently. Don't rely on maps. Always check with various providers.

According to Openeir by the end of 2026, if NBI deliver on their deadlines, pretty much every premises in the country will have at least one FTTH network available to them. I know there is a distrust of "eircom" here but I'd be more inclined to believe Openeir's build promises than NBI's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Openeir's eircode checker says FTTC only. Perhaps it's out of date.

On Eircom's promises, the 66 FTTH towns program (2014) never started. The undertaking to fibre up the 'entire Dingle peninsula' (2017) didn't happen either. The two-year 300k program (2016) took three years. The IFN was originally announced to finish in June 2024, and the recent 200K program seems to have delivered just 7k premises in the last year.

I agree that NBI's promises have also been hopeless. The point I'm making is that NBI cannot know what in-fill is required in blue areas until eircom have finished, and eircom have no incentive to be candid about when that will be.

As for maps, yes they can be wrong, and so can eircode checkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yeah I have very little faith in either NBI or OpenEir when it comes to timelines.

I did a bit more digging and it actually looks like OpenEir have marked ALL their Fibre To the Cabinets as part of the upgrade regardless of speed. I checked a house just outside of the cabinet range who cant get FTTH yet and they are not included in their upgrade plan.

Open eir broadband checker: Gives you the general "up to 100Mb speeds" and then gives you a link to "check if you are part of of FTTH upgrade plans"

Fibre upgrade checker by openeir: Great news you are included....We plan to complete our rollout by end of 2026.

So everything is pointing to OpenEir doing their own thing, upgrading all these homes regardless of NBI and the inervention area. If thats the case, surely there is going to be a huge overlap and duplication of work. I can imagine the amount of homes on FTTC that get below 30Mb is pretty huge. What a waste of time and money from both parties if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

NBI says 2025-26/eir map says '26 too, but I do think the maps are wrong as there is a crew from circet doing my estate atm and no mention on any maps of any work in the near future, when I asked the guys what are they doing they said putting in ducting for fibre but said at the same time "could be 6 months or a year before its finished" havent a clue who they were working for as it said both NBI and EIR on their signs lol

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The backdrop to all of this is, of course, eircom's stated intention to retire their copper network completely. This should - in theory - only be allowed to happen when everyone with a copper service has a fibre service available to them, but in the absence of a USO for broadband, it remains to be seen how it will pan out in practice.

This is interesting. If they're taking this route, it's possible they'll end up reselling on OpenEir and NBI over time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

I'm in the Gort DA. We have DPs on poles and I have pre-ordered with Digiweb.

However, there is no date on the NBI site these days. It used to be April-June 22.

I decided to try my nearest BCP today which is 15km away on bad roads. When I got there (it's a nursing home), i could see BCP free on WIFI but it wasn't in range. They must have it in a cupboard! Has anyone suceeded in connectings to one of these BCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mercurystorm

Also on the Gort DA.. all the DP's have been installed for the past 4 weeks and all NBI vans have moved out of the area.. spoke to one of the guys installing the DP's and he said the final step was network testing...

Seems to have stalled now which is so frustrating to have the fibre so close but not able to get it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

I did see a few vans today at Kiltartan but they are often there. The NBI guy told me a couple of weeks ago that we'd have it in a week or two. I hope they haven't hit problems with the network testing

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Hey, similar neck of the woods and am confused as to who to order from or even if I should. Have had East Cork Broadband for donkeys years, 30 quid a month and has always been adequate speeds and never any issues with service.

My concern with some of the vendors listed is either 1. I've never heard of them or 2. those I have heard of have reputations for poor delivery and or customer service. Eir are "coming soon" but I wouldnt touch them.

As regards vodafone the wife's phone is with them on bill pay and its a pure disaster to deal with them, call centre is outsourced I think and they dont have a clue. She actually wanted to get off them but found it so difficult to port is actually stuck with them.

So really interested to hear your experiece.

Also, 'scuse the probably basic question but whats the story with cotention if loads of people sign up?

How do you avoid there being good service at the beginning before others join up and it goes to crap?

They are all sharing the same infra so I presume the only advantage with the different providers is:

1. Their customer service and ability to connect yu
    2. Price
    3. Ability to bundle other products potentially. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

The other differentiating factor I guess is hardware - different ISPs supply different routers, and each will have different specs and features. I'd imagine all are largely fine for plug and play, but if you want/need to start changing settings etc, some providers are more amenable to that than others.

Many people on here have mentioned signing up to Digiweb knowing they are paying a bit more to get what they see as superior service - fair enough. Personally, I was just looking for the best price and went with Sky. They were 2nd cheapest standalone, but as I was able to bundle and reduce my TV spend, they were effectively the cheapest.

Service is important obviously, but I found ordering was easy, install went smoothly and since then I think I have had 2 "outages" since the day we had it installed (nearly a year ago now). Neither lasted more than a minute or so. It's been basically bulletproof and I've never needed to contact them for support. I get the bill every month and it comes out by DD. Not much service required!

Contention really doesn't seem to be an issue with FTTH. Obviously the infrastructure is shared but the capacity of the lines seems more than sufficient to account for this. It's impossible to know for sure what contention ratios are like, or what will happen in the future, but I do semi-regular speed tests just out of curiosity (maybe one every fortnight) and it's always at least 500Mbps DL and 50Mbps UL, which is the package I'm on. The network will have had lots of new users sign up since I did but it's not affected the service I am receiving in the slightest. I would be surprised if it ever did become an issue.

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for the info, very useful

NBI call out the minimum connectivity requirements for RSPs in their openly published offer documents on the service provider section of their site:

So that's what NBI expect the RSPs to guarantee, and if they don't....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Can anyone tell me if this is a thing…..Eircom rep calls to door today saying as part of the national broadband rollout our line is going to be upgraded shortly

we currently have vodafone siro, he looks at our box and says yes it will need to be upgraded, it’s going to cost €170 via our current supplier but if we switch to Eir there is no charge, have heard absolutely nothing from Vodafone on this, just sounds dodgy, he was happy to sign me up on the spot but I never sign up to anything on the doorstep. Anyone heard of this?

thanks

Just pre-ordered with Sky, 30 a month for 12 months for 500GB, no install charge. 12 month contract. Install set for early August, specific date and time booked. They said it could be sooner.

Managed to save money on my TV package as well, and I was going to cancel and move to Freesat but its just convenience now that Broadband is with them

You're already getting Siro Fibre and NBI are deploying to your area as well? Lucky you.

I'm not sure what he's talking about re upgrading your existing box. Vodafone won't let you move from Siro Fibre to NBI Fibre, so you won't even have that option to upgrade. It's very possible that NBI will be available and Eir are one of the resellers, so I'm sure he's legit.

What speed do you currently have with Siro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I’m in Limerick city, have siro 1G for a few years now, I’d say he’s spoofing about the charge, more eager to get me to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Eager to sign you up, yes, eir doesn't retail via the SIRO network. New ONT required if you move to the NBI network with eir or another retail service provider.

As above, Vodafone won't move you to the NBI network, away from the SIRO network they jointly own with the ESB. If for some crazy reason they did, then a new NBI ONT would be required.

Regarding the connection fee, NBI charge the retail service provider €100 plus vat iirc, although I believe there is a free connection promotion on pre-orders between NBI and RSPs atm.

€170 was eir's old connection charge to their own fibre network.

Post edited by The Cush on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If you have a Siro connection already then moving to another or same provider on NBI would be a bit pointless, more or less same providers and same fibre connection quality and similar priced plans by the providers.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The default working assumption is that a rep selling you broadband on the doorstep is peddling bullcrap. It would be nice if we could assume otherwise, but too many bibs have been dirtied to give any benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Network guys outside my house today 34 house estate, east cork, thrilled to see them. He said give it two /three weeks. I'm currently with sky getting 7mbs , in contract until mid November.

Advertisement