Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Will happen when Generation Rent Retire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the push for ownership is a complicated one, including due to historical reasons, but ultimately people do so, to improve their chances of meeting one of their most critical of needs, i.e. security of accommodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm not insulting you. You posited a bonehead idea that will drive hundreds of thousands into poverty and think you'll get a tax cut off the back of it. The opposite outcome is inevitable.

I merely called what is a dummy idea by its name.

The tax wedge on average workers has been covered to death on other threads, we actually sit in the middle of EU countries in the manner in which we tax the vast majority of workers despite your unfactual posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The average worker is an abstract idea. The distribution of income taxation is very different to other European countries. The lower paid here pay far less than in other European countries, the higher paid start paying the highest rate of tax at a much lower level. I assume the plan will be to fund all this by pushing this even further, bring in even higher tax at the upper end. The issue with that is that Doctors will not want to work here and many other workers at the higher end are very mobile, especially with the possibility to work remotely now.

... once again, we have to get over this inherent fear of increasing taxes on wealth, as the approach to not to, has completely failed.....

Wealth is mobile and if it doesn't have a reason to be in Ireland, it won't be. Unless you mean taxes on land/property? If so, good luck convincing all the Bull McCabes of that.

• Advertisement

The average worker is not "an abstract idea"

The data is there, we are bang in the middle of the EU in terms of how we tax labour for the middle income distributions in our economy, which is the vast vast majority of the labour force is clustered.

Where the upper income strata make away like bandits is the very low levels of property tax (and next to none on hoarded undeveloped land), which is where the real wealth in the country is locked away. Now there's an area of tax divergence you could explore in comparison with peer countries. They've cut themselves a good deal, as most true high worth individuals aren't taking a salary like you or I.

Easier to take a bungled potshot at lower income groups though. You've been had, Herr.

It is irrelevant what an "average worker" pays, we are all more concerned with what we pay. If you have a system where everyone pays a fixed amount of tax (low, middle and high), everyone pays 5K per year say. This might be below what the average is in the EU, but it would have a very different outcome for the low and high earners I am sure you would agree. That is why it is a meaningless statistic.

Again, this is gooblydeegook.

I have no idea where you're going with your notional 5k flat tax.

We are not a high tax economy relative to other EU countries for the vast majority of workers. The data is there. We sit right in the middle of EU peer countries. You're the one bringing Germany, Netherlands et al into the equation. Your arguement doesn't stand up when the facts come in, probably time to swallow it.

Look, I don't really give a sh*te what you earn. You've obviously got it in your head that it's low income workers to blame when you see your pay slip deductions at the end of each month.

Have at it, you're looking in the wrong places when you're seeking to point the finger. And you are pointing the finger.

yes wealth indeed can be very mobile, due to polices such as the relative free movement of capital, but take that away, and you dont have an economy! yes, we primarily store wealth in the value of assets such as stock, shares, bonds, land, real estate etc etc etc, yes some of that is very mobile, but some of it clearly isnt, property and land etc, so yes, we need to start taxing all forms of wealth more, including the value of land and property, and yes, this wont be easy, possible impossible, but we must try it, cause our approach of taxing labour and consumption more, simply isnt going to work!

"We are not a high tax economy relative to other EU countries for the vast majority of workers."

We are high for some and very low for most others. The average is meaningless unless you earn exactly the average salary. I don't blame low income workers but I think they could maybe be more realistic with what they can expect from the state. I don't think the situation is very stable. On the one hand you have demands for better services. On the other hand a reluctance to pay anything towards it. Of course the expectation is that SF will come in and push the highest rate up to 56% or something like that and hopefully that will pay for everything. But, it really won't. I don't think they will try it either.

• Advertisement

For some who has stated only two posts ago "we are all more concerned with what we pay", you're awful concerned with what others pay.

We have a highly progressive taxation system in Ireland, but to inject some reality into the situation...

You can peddle the 52% marginal rate, but a 100k worker is taxed a nice bit less than in Germany (a high earner by most reasonable person's standards) at 38% of gross, and at 150k, nobody is paying over 50% effective).

https://publicpolicy.ie/downloads/papers/2020/Comparing_Irish%20Income_Taxation%20Rates_with_other_EU_Member_States.pdf

This study (taking 'high earners' as those in around the 100k mark for 2020) has Ireland as bang average for the effective tax imposed on high earners at circa 35.5% (EU average 34.8) and a damn lot less than Belgium or Denmark at 47% or Denmark at 43.4%.

So you might have the violin out for yourself (and I may be making a presumption here that you're earning anywhere close to that), but when your Paddy Angryman sentiment hits reality, we're not high tax for high earners relative to EU peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

There's no fixing this.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more, this is a collapsing pyramid scheme. It was always going to break.

You're not going to tweak a tax system to fix it, you're not going to alter an interest rate to fix it, you're not going to "go all in" to fix it.

Look at the airport situation. Look at the housing situation. Look at the staff situation. Look at the migration situation. Look at the education system with increasing drop-outs. Look at the healthcare system groaning under pressure.

I ordered a shirt online two weeks ago. Was told it was "dispatched". Got an email this morning, "due to staff shortages, your order hasn't been shipped yet."

The whole system is breaking in real time. Pyramid schemes break. Maybe when we pull ourselves out of this collapse in 6 or 10 years we will have learned lessons about sustainable economics and sustainable societies.

With all the vast amounts of money going around we should have impeccable this, state-of-the-art that, water systems, infrastructure, healthcare, education, facility. We don't.

Conspicuously, despite all the money being spent, there's sweet FA to show for it. Billionaires have their wealth doubling and tripling, corporations with booming profits. Meanwhile, in a recent report, 1 in 5 people are living below the poverty line in ireland now.

The money is gone, and there's nowt to show for it. The population has increased dramatically, but for what? It has been a con job, scam city.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

is there somewhere to show how those comparisons were calculated?

living in the UK here.... I'm looking to get back home so I regularly keep an eye on wages, cost of living and the tax side of things...

A relative was looking to come over here last year and we did an exercise on the wage difference and they faired out better on £21k here over €26k in Dublin... there was also the reduced cost of living (at the time), which also included council tax, and water rates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

It will change in a political way this time, I think, rather than the traditional bursting if a bubble we've had previously. Left and far-left will form a government that will bring in unsustainable solutions leading to further crises.

Sinn Fein are going to cruise into power. How in the name of shyte an election is being pushed out 3 years is beyond belief.

Regardless, Sinn Fein are going to be left with fixing the pyramid scheme that can't be fixed. Expect major issues and malfunctions.

The pyramid constructors ff and fg will be on the sidelines shouting "look, they can't fix this! Vote us in again!"

And by that point I think people are going to blow their top and some new political era is going to begin. All these parties are history, all of them.

Not within the studies.

But for a crude calculation, the PWC tax calculator is useful. For isntance, before pension contributions (which reduce tax burden further) an earner on 250k is subject to an effective taxation rate of 46.4% (paye, usc, prsi inclusive). Bearing in mind people in this position are maxing-out voluntary pension contributions to bring that down further, you'll have a hard time convincing me they're overtaxed in the grand scheme of things and in comparison to other wealthy EU countries.

https://www.pwc.ie/issues/budget-2022/income-tax-calculator.html

Pension contributions are capped at a certain % of €115k. So for someone in their 40's, the most you can put in is 25% of €115k (you also pay PRSI and USC on this, it is just the 40% income tax relief).

I still don't have the violin out for someone on 250k tax-wise in Ireland. For context, they are the top 1 percent of individual earners, and their tax burden maxes out at 46 percent, and that's if they're stupid about it.

They are not overtaxed, in the Irish context or the broader European context.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

You'll own nothing and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

We went for full comparison, if they receive X, they end up with net X, they were on lower income tax at the time in the UK compared to Ireland...

if you use the online calculators, UK tax calculators include national insurance contributions, whereas a lot of Irish calculators leave out USC, that's why I would like to see what they used for the comparison, as that can make a difference.

We also found in the lower threshold it can go either way for UK or Ireland depending on your circumstances (not including people who are fully exempt, I mean say a single parent with single child, or even 2 adults, with 1 child, with only a single parent working)...

that's why I was curious to see if there were any workings...

• Advertisement

I am not saying they are overtaxed in the European context. The issue is the tax is comparable and what you get for it is way below other countries. In Germany for example the state pension maxes out at 3k per month, it isn't a one size fits all, there is a relationship to what you pay in. You also get free health care, dental, prescriptions etc. The issue here is the toxic combination of high taxes and very little in return. At least somewhere like France you might say, yes the taxes are high but we get something for it.

the money isnt gone at all, it being stored, primarily in value of assets, if we started to address the short coming of the distribution of this wealth, it would begin to help resolve all of these issues. money only disappears when the debts its based on are paid off, forgiven or defaulted upon. we re currently experiencing the largest acclamation of debt in human history, i.e. the money is still there!

"The money isn't gone at all, it's being stored"

I'm not taking the p*ss, but that sounds exactly the type of thing you'd hear out of a pyramid scheme.

I do know what you mean, but that value will be wiped out. One way or another. The more pressing wtf-ness is where all the MNC tax is gone, or just tax in general. Where is all the rent money going? Sure, to pay off some buy to let mortgages, but the majority of that money is just "gone".

There's bugger all to show for it. And, pound to a penny, there never will be. The top of the pyramid will disappear, and everyone else, the country, will/is being left in rag order.

this is how the world works, we store wealth in the value of assets such as stocks, shares, bonds, land, real estate etc etc etc, this is our reality! yes, we continually implement polies to make sure the value of assets are protected at all costs, including after market crashes such as 08, policies such as qe etc, but we rarely implement policies to make sure this wealth is more evenly distributed, in fact we regularly implement polices to make sure its not, i.e. fix this, and you re well on your way to resolving these issues!

If you came here to say you want free dental and you think the means to do it is dunking hundreds of thousands of Irish workers into poverty to pay for it, you've made a rather roundabout point as well as a boneheaded one. You swung by to give out about the povs and their "free stuff", and here you are banging the drum for "free stuff" for yourself.

Prescriptions in Germany aren't free btw, there's always a co-pay and your krankenkasse cover the rest, which in turn is payed for by deductibles from your paypacket. Their price-fixing regime for medicines is goosed due to competition law, so watch that space.

I get you. More to the point of this being how the world works in general, it's far more accurate to say "this is how the world right now does NOT work".

The main problem is that housing was turned into a speculative market. Bad idea. Don't touch the necessities of life or you'll reap a whirlwind of pain.

Even if you happen to be on the positive end of the housing situation, accruing the crazy rents (tax aside), it's great until your children have to move out on their own and then they have to spend that same money.

If you're on the negative end of the housing situation, goodnight.

All told, commodifying housing, selling off national housing, giving it away on an international scale...totally a net negative. Nothing is produced, nothing is created, all you've got are a small bunch of speculators that will leg it with the proceeds when it collapses, leaving everyone else holding their dicks looking out windows.

Or, a pyramid scheme.

Again, just a quick glance around the country and you see that for all the eye-watering money involved in housing, billions, trillions even, there is nothing to show for it. There won't be anything to show for it, either.

I get that we have completely different views of how the country and tax system should work. I would be happy enough with German levels of taxation and services for everyone, but it would be the lower income groups that would see the largest difference in their net income.

What I would not be happy with is further increases in taxation with the awful level of Irish services. Free stuff, you can feck right off with that.

Again you're circling back to lower wage workers as if slapping someone on 20k with a 5k tax bill is going to magic up a new society without severe consequence for poverty rates, and you get to toddle down to the dentist for a new set of veneers on the public dime. Harebrained stuff.

You'll also have to accept that German goodies come with commensurate higher taxes on middle and higher earners than Ireland.

I am happy with 2 different outcomes: 1) Higher taxes and German level services 2) status quo of fairly high taxes and shite services.

• Advertisement

You already bellyache about your tax bill which unless you're a secret CEO, likely doesn't trouble the mid-30 percentages in effective tax god help you, so something tells me you don't have the stomach for outcome 1. either.

Advertisement