Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

If you look up many CEOs you find they've been ran out of some previous company.

But not in Ireland. We love them here. Same with doctors struck off in other countries....we dont even check their licence.

They're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is Schiphol airport today, Dublin isn't alone Schiphol has cancelled 100's of flights today.

There are things that could have been done. Ranting about how other countries have similar problems is just a way of avoiding taking proactive and often unpopular action to resolve the problem. Perhaps the following could have been done 3-4 months ago:

• Incentivise more online check-ins / invest in more automated means, even for baggage.
    • Bring in the army for security assistance; pat downs etc., so more trained staff can open up more security queues.
    • Up the pay massively for key positions and promote accordingly; though this should have been done months ago.
    • Reduce capacity of flights at the airport until it can be managed to a sufficiently satisfactorily level. There's no point allowing a volume of flights to take place in 2-months if the means to manage those flights and ensure all passengers can make it, are non-existent.

The average traveller will also need to ask themselves whether they are willing to take the risk of getting a flight. This may itself discourage the numbers attending the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OptiPlus

I'm trying to plan ahead now for my Thursday morning flight... Could anyone tell me how soon before an aer Lingus flight can I check in my bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Is it all to do with cost cutting / getting rid of experienced staff on redundancy by DAA and then trying to rehire people on minimum wage but they cant get staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Bringing in the army is embarrassing. The Taoiseach already addressed that and said they have their own work to do.

Clearing snow. Bus strike. Rubbish collection. The Defence Forces seem to the first solution. How demoralising must that be. Lackeys to get the government out of trouble.

This can be solved without them and a first step is offering competitive terms and conditions. 20 hours per week while being available for 40 hours is not that. You would get a better job in Tesco. Not knocking, I had a good job in McDonalds in the past. Regular hours and never messed up wages. 20 hours while being available for 40 hours is not a good offer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Why are the Airlines not moving flights to our other Airports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's not even the queues which are bad enough. They can't even clean the toilets in the airport. There's an actual smell inside there at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

They did not sign up to bail out semi-states and let the government off the hook

What is your job? We can find an educated service member to do it for a lower rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Top story in the news and meeting with DAA being brought forward to first thing in the morning.

Loads of money will be thrown at this now in an inefficient manner.

Imagine requesting the army to facilitate the smooth processing of our main airport during peace times...Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

A family member flew out to the States on Saturday and her luggage still hasn't turned up. Officially missing. Doubt she's the only one.

Went through today, arrived at 5.15 for a USA flight and just made it to the gate at 9 for a 9.20 flight. Half the security counters were closed. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

re route half the flights to shannon and cork 'simples sergei'

after all half the passengers are coming up from the sticks anyway so the drive home will not be a major inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We're still in exceptional times. Many other airports globally are having the same issue. Bringing in the army to help in exceptional times is standard fare. They've been used in the past to drive busses during strikes, to organise vaccination centres, to collect bins. Is that embarrassing too?

Better craic for these lads than sitting in the barracks doing drills, and definitely better than patrolling some godforsaken hellhole with a gun in your hand.

Not excusing DAA making a balls and creating this issue in the first place, but this is a temporary and urgent situation. Exceptional solutions are required.

It's not a bad idea, but it also requires lots off add-on stuff. For every flight that comes in, you need enough busses to bring the passengers to Dublin. Of course, not everyone is going to Dublin, but lots of tourists will have hotels or other arrangements made in Dublin, returning travellers will have cars parked in Dublin, etc. Would you rather a few hours waiting in line in Dublin or a few hours driving back and forth between Dublin and Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Meanwhile in Cork Airport they can't even open the restaurant at dinner time because there isn't enough demand.

DAA are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭subpar

A short term measure to alliviate the congestion why not move some flight departures , where possible, into the time period between midnight and 6.00 a.m.

Post edited by subpar on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And the destination airports will be ok with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

Another thing which ads to the problem albeit in a small way is the fact that people travelling with Aer Lingus can't check in online if they have a passport card.,

Ryanair? No Problem.

Reading this yesterday I upgraded my card to a book just to try and save some time in the airport in 4 weeks time and then again in 6 weeks with the kids in tow.

Fingers crossed they get this mess cleared up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I take it you don't live anywhere near an airport or a flight path.

Take offs and landings are a wee bit noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think a few hours drive is a lot less stressful than being stuck in the same spot for hours unend - at least you're going somewhere you have the sense of progression so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just because it also happened somewhere else doesn't excuse the scenes from yesterday, crazy stuff altogether, if they don't have the capacity then they have to cancel services instead of forcing people to queue like cattle, no excuses for this, everyone knew this was coming and nothing seems to have been done in preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Is it bad in both terminals or just terminal 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Might have a problem at the other end when the airport can't accept you

Flight plans are made months in advance and can't just be changed at the drop of a hat. Plus landing etc.

Even if Ireland decided to do it you would need all the arrival airports to agree and they wont

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dont hear anyone mention the option to check in the night before - is this even any use? I'd consider it myself if I thought it'd make a difference.

The airport shuts at night, can't see you been allowed to stay in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lol,

i haven't a notion of staying overnight, have a mate living 15 mins from the airport, so my plan would be to check in the bags etc, go to mates house till 3 hours before flight time. But its all a moot point I suppose if you cant get in the door of the airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

The issue is at security, once you pass through you can't leave.

Advertisement