Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There were some very good bits mixed with some really awful 80s straight to TV sh1te. Regrettably, these did not blend well. This said, and no one will agree with me, first time Ewan has done a good job woth Obi Wan.

The good bits were fantastic but the bad bits just pulled you out of it which just made for a watchable but not great TV show. Not bad, but not great. There is potential but at this point, flimsy mistakes by Disney really shouldn't happen. I went off and boiled the kettle when I seen the chase after Leia by the three hunters. It was like someone watched the Goonies and was given 20 minutes to re-enact a random chase scene from scratch. It was fine to that point, why not just kidnap her or have her fail to be kidnapped, the chase just yanked the viewer out of the show, and that was only the start of numerous similar issues. Mainly related to the writing rather than the acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some decent moments but the kid playing Leia is almost as bad as the one that played Anakin in the Phantom Menace. They've given her dialogue that would sound way beyond the years of a teenager, nevermind a ten-year-old. Absolutely no sense of fear or terror from her over being kidnapped, presumably because we can't have Star Wars fans thinking Leia would ever show anything other than resolute defiance in the face of danger, even though she's TEN. And that chase scene where she evades the kidnappers felt like it was missing a Benny Hill soundtrack.

It will hopefully pick up in the next episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wasn't a fan of Michael Balzary's acting and I'm glad he was disposed of pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm not getting good negative narrative. I really enjoyed it, especially the second episode. The first episode was a little slow, but it was setting rhe scene of where Obi Wan was in his life.

I also don't get the hate for the third sister.

But hey ho.

How any Star Wars didn't get goosebumps from the final moments of episode 2 is beyond my comprehension. It was brilliantly done.

Sure I've a few minor quibbles, but nothing I can't deal with.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@CramCycle This said, and no one will agree with me, first time Ewan has done a good job with Obi Wan.

I think you'll find that there's more than a few people out there that didn't rate McGregor's portrayal as Kenobi. It appears to go over well with Americans, but this side of the pond it always just sounded like someone trying to put on a posh accent and sounding a bit silly. Coupled with dreadful direction and piss poor dialogue, his Obi-Wan never impressed me in the prequels. But then, fuck all did cos they were utterly dreadful. But he had a decent go of it in the first two episodes of this I thought. He's still nothing like Alec Guinness though. At the very least they should have greyed his hair a wee bit. It's impossible to believe that this Kenobi turns into the Kenobi of 'Star Wars' in just 9 years.

@CramCycle I went off and boiled the kettle when I seen the chase after Leia by the three hunters.

Yeah that chase scene was a bit cringe worthy alright. So was the one where Kenobi had to chase her, although not as bad. I suppose those scenes are more for the kids to get excited about rather than the adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

My biggest problem with this is the suspense set up of Leia getting captured and dangling from a wire, we know there is no danger here but instead its a long winded and poorly written, obvious lead up to Ben having to use the Force.

I suppose we can be thankful that Leia didn't save herself by using the Force (although there's still time, I fear).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Watched over the weekend. Well, is 'ok' I would say, since it is definitely not disastrous like Boba i guess ha...

Ewan McGregor - commendable in a sense that i think he did his best to work with the script, definitely some good acting for some key moments (like PTSD stuff, mental struggling etc). But ya that is very much not my expectation he literally has just been watching Luke for 10+ years and do nothing like maintaining his jedi skills/training for himself - how is he supposed to protect luke when the time comes...?

The production looks good overall but the execution/details in this show are mind boggling at times.

Like the chase scenes that people are talking about - for me I dont even mind the chase scenes but come on Obiwan wasnt even covering his face when the whole town is looking for him...and did he just casually walk into a meth lab 😂 even the gangster guy (the trio also looks so bad omg) said he didnt expect he would be this dumb to show up. There is no planning or any kind of strategy from Obiwan for the whole rescue mission.

Inquisitors look ok when they first showed up but then god, so the lower rank girl could do whatever she wants and no consequences - and proceed to 'stab' Grand inquisitor. One would expect he would be able to deflect her attack easily etc so ya, what now, they will bring him alive again? Lightsaber is a joke nowadays i guess...

And ya i was like, huh, since when Darth Vader is Anakin is a common knowledge 😂 I am pretty sure only very very few people know about that - moment ruined for me anyway when Obiwan was just told by this rando new character (that nobody cares or knows). And like force persuasion apparently a well known jedi trick at this stage huh. I mean, it has been 10+ years forward in the timeline, but this felt like 1 month later after Revenge of the Sith. In the original trilogy that Jedi is like a long forgotten myth.

Overall ya, it is a bit of mess on characters, plot and executions but if I put all these into the context of 'this is another Disney kids show' - suddenly those incompetent chase scenes make sense. And there is nothing wrong with that, but ya a bit disappointed that I have my hopes up ha.

Complete garbage. Both of those chase scenes are hilarious, especially running into the tree. However I'm not that bothered and will still watch it all.

The "no danger" issue is a problem with all prequels that feature people from an original. It's a good reason not to do them in the first place.

I liked how the 'Rogue One' prequel had the balls to whack everyone at the end. But now you have a prequel to the prequel with 'Andor', who we know will have a god-like immunity for the entire show. Not that most heroes of TV shows are ever in any real danger mind of getting killed off mind you. At least not until the end in any case.

As for Leia using the Force, I've always been against that. It's so bloody trite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Better than Boba Fett, not as good as The Mandalorian.

I enjoyed it overall. Thought the Grand Inquisitor was cool, but 3rd sister really annoyed me.

I find it hard to believe that Obi did not know that Anakin had become Vader and was alive.

Thought the Leia storyline was fine and a nice touch, but did find the rooftop fight scenes kinda boring or maybe I was just tired.

But overall, yeah was good and ill continue watching.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

The "no danger" issue is a problem with all prequels that feature people from an original. It's a good reason not to do them in the first place.

Exactly, but it could have been avoided here instead of trying to set up the "danger"

Leia was going to get captured, so skip the chase and have her captured....cut to next scene.

Instead of the rooftop jump, she falls to the ground only to land in the arms one of the Inquisitors....Obi-Wan uses the Force to convince the Inquisitor that "this is not the kid you are looking for".

Or skip the roof scene altogether, there was no need for it except to set up Obi-Wan to use the Force. He had the aim a stormtrooper too which was grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Keep seeing "better than Boba Fett" comments. Really not sure what people are watching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I actually enjoyed that. Regarding Leia's dialogue? I put that down to being sort of a manifestation of her Jedi abilities. Sort of an enhanced intelligence.

Regarding Vader, well, it's been 10 years. Remember how Tarkin smacked Vader down in ANH. And that was, what, 8 years later again? How public WAS Vader outside of Empire command? Kenobi also intentionally isolated himself for 10 years also.

Yes, I thought the insuisitor being so lenient (Letting the Jedi go) and telling whatshername, second sister, that she was too hard, was a bit weak.

Yes, the lack of jeopardy is a problem. But that's ALWAYS going to be a problem when involving characters that you know are going to survive.

Man, Flea looks shook.

Thought McGregor was great. And I even liked the fake Jedi (But then I do like that actor. Think he's hilarious) but I can understand why people wouldn't like him. He doesn't really make sense (Why pretend to be a Jedi when there are Jedi hunters out there).

One of the big problems I had with The Force Awakens was that it seemed to suggest that the Jedi were almost a myth by that time. Which I always thought was stupid, given the relatively short time that had passed.

Where in the timeline does this take place in relation to "Solo"? Is it theoretically possible for actors from that movie, be they main or supporting, to reprise their role here or is this too soon/too late?

@TheIrishGrover And I even liked the fake Jedi (But then I do like that actor. Think he's hilarious) but I can understand why people wouldn't like him. He doesn't really make sense (Why pretend to be a Jedi when there are Jedi hunters out there).

There's not only that, but he's getting people off the planet for money, which they pay regardless of whether he's a "Jedi" or not? The whole thing is just a bit stupid. He could just simply be a dodgy geezer that gets people illegal passage for a few bob. Why bother with all the Jedi fakery?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Leia outrunning adults was like what grownups do when pretending they can't catch kids at a party ... 

literally like a bunch of clowns.

She seems a ridiculous Mary Sue type character aswel, outwitting Kenobi - pretty skilled for a 10yr old.

I like the way Kenobi decided to leave the planet when there is inquisitors on the planet and THEY HAVE THREATENED TO KILL THE LARS FAMILY!! 

So he is abandoning the very child (Luke) he promised to protect.

WHAT???? 

really ??

And the grand inquisitor insulting Reva - can't remember the exact words, but was such an obvious analogy to racism and white supremacy - I mean FUUCCCK OFF DISNEY!!

I honestly think Disney's end game is to remake the prequels, and then the original trilogy, they are just waiting for more original fans to die out.

Depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

fantastic stuff.

when I accidentally came across the information that Obi-Wan would leave Tatooine I thought that the show was doomed because there is nothing that would make him leave Luke unwatched - but of course that is stupid because there IS someone that would.

Young Leia is adorable and there are some great moments between herself and Kenobi.

The fake Jedi is fun and I’m guessing he will follow Kenobi to what I assume is a Rebel base.

The city was great and I’m hoping other shows use locations like this instead of deserts and woods.

The Boba Fett series should have moved off Tatooine to a place like that.

I’m hoping that before the series ends that Kenobi has some moments with Owen, Beru and Luke. Luke is supposed to be aware of him.

I was not expecting the Grand Inquisitor to get perforated. Obviously he survives (unless he is not the same one in Rebels). The look on Kenobi’s face when the Third Sister reveals who they all work for - just devastation.

Countdown to "Woke".... 10... 9...8...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

That kid was like Marlon Brando compared to the main Jedi hunter woman, who was atrocious altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I thought it was a promising start and easy to tell this is the best Ewan has had to work with to date with the character. Just some small comments:

I agree to a degree with those saying Leia was poorly done based on her age, but they just about pulled it back by the end of episode 2. I just put her acting beyond her years down to a combination of royal privilege and some force intelligence going on.....but they would want to be careful.

The Reva character just seems like an awful caricature that will act as an anchor on the show unless there's something deeper going on than what appears to be on the surface.

In short there's potential clearly there that could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really enjoyable after two episodes. Young Leia is very good and McGregor is excellent. His accent though is all over the place. The two villains/inquisitors are a bit of a let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Apparently about 20 years after. Although possibly a bigger obstacle would be nearly everyone bar original trilogy characters getting killed off in Solo...

I really don't want them to bring in Han or Chewie or anyone like that. As I said elsewhere, I find that limiting and it makes it look like the while universe and rebellion itself wrapped around about 5 people.

I was laughing thinking that I assume they do bring in Quai Gon at some stage. People will go "Holy sh#t. Liam f#cking Neeson!!!". Meanwhile Derry Girls are going "So??? Been there, done that. For the series cost of your canteen budget of one episode"

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

The events in Solo would be happening around the same time as the Kenobi series.

https://i.imgur.com/VBFa6ZM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

McGregor actually looks like he's enjoying playing Obi Wan now without Lucas breathing down his neck.

Overall the first 2 episodes were ok, not amazing (how 3 grown people cant outrun a 10 year old).

I do like how the Inquisitors are vicious and chop peoples hands off, i also like that they showed it.

Ill reserve judgement until we're a few more episodes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Did Alec Guinness actually speak the way Ewan McGregor speaks? I haven't watched the original Star Wars in quite a while but McGregor's impersonation of his accent seems to travel around the British isles and Ireland all in one sentence and is quite distracting. Perhaps this sounds ok to Americans.

I think he's trying to emulate James Arnold Taylor this time around. JAT voiced Obi-Wan in the Clone Wars cartoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I thought that was great. Ok, the scenes with the kidnappers/Kenobi chasing Leia were comical but I find a lot of the comments above overly critical and have a whiff of looking for something to knock the show about.

• Obiwan doesn't know about Anakin - he's been in the farthest reaches of the galaxy in isolation. He cut himself off. Vadar himself is not the poster boy for the Empire. I don't think it's much of a stretch that he didn't know.
    • Obiwan left Luke on the planet with Inquisitors - they had caught their Jedi and left.
    • Why didn't Obiwan mind trick the Inquisitors - they're Jedi themselves so it's not gonna work.
    • Leia's too smart for her age - so? Privately educated Princess with Skywalker lineage. I thought it was a very good portrayal of a young Leia.

Anyway, I digress.

I loved the reintroduction to Obiwan... he's so broken and beat as you'd expect. He has a single purpose, survive and watch over Luke, and even at that he's at arms length all the time. It's really well done. That scene with the other Jedi could so easily have been a "come lets join forces" cheese-laden moment but they doubled down on his singular life-mission and the Jedi ended up dead. All in all, his life is empty and bleak. The switch up to rescue Leia was a great move. It gets him off-world, puts some focus on Leia, and sets up nicely to connect to "help me Obiwan, you're my only hope". It also gives scope for Obiwan to find new purpose again and connect with someone (Anakin's daughter no less) on a level it seems he hasn't had in 10 years. On the antagonist side, the Inquisitors look great and have a suitable amount of menace about them. I like that their arrogance is their weakness - dismissing the 3rd Sister when she's on the right track (twice!). It feels like it keeps in line with the Sith rivalry mentality - they have shades of that. And of course, that final scene is a heck of a teaser for Vadar. I really hope we get some decent screen time with Hayden's Vadar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

I don't think many people have a problem with Obi-Wan not knowing that Anakin is Vader, it's that Reva knows Anakin is Vader. I just hope it's explained how she knows as it's not supposed to be common knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I don't get the criticism of Leia either. She behaved like every other precocious child we've seen in fiction. And it matches the woman we meet in Episode 4 too, what with her zingers aimed at Luke, Han, Tarkin and anyone really.

Advertisement