Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Who pays for this mess ?

Taxpayer or some imaginary company called DAA ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Depends on whether you're classed as "Self Connecting Passengers" or not.

If you're flying Ryanair for the last leg, then you are definitely self-connecting and you have to go through security again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am looking up Irish Ferries Dublin to Cherbourg. September, premium de luxe king size bed window cabin, lounge access the works, E550 each return. No car though, will be taking TGV elsewhere then hiring for a few days. It sounds great, haven't done it before now so an adventure too. No luggage restrictions either, seriously considering it instead of flying more or less direct to destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

No problem on any afternoon in the last few weeks including May bank holiday.

The problem is early morning with far too many people coming far far too early for their flights causing an unnatural and unplanned surge.

And because the weekend is primarily holiday flights and charters there are more families and more "worry" and this leads to more and more coming early because they look on tiktok and see a queue that the tiktokker sensationalises as they did on Thursday / Friday & Saturday and each day more and more people came earlier and earlier creating a ripple effect.

As I said, solution is dreadfully simple - state loudly and clearly that you will not be allowed inside the airport building or on a carpark shuttle bus unless you can show you flight is within three hours. Implement that for 2am - 9am for a couple of weeks - put plenty of tiktoks up showing refusals and people will get the message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There was nothing sensationalised about the queues yesterday, it was straight up factual and accurate. Dunno why you're obsessed with TikTok.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

The people not know what they are at, you cannot make the core staff redundant and expect things to work, simple as that, i noticed this problem almost a year ago, said it here and was laughed at. We put up with sh1te service so its good enough for us. I have only used Dublin Airport 1 time in the last year. I am surprised Ryanair/aer Lingus not taking business to other Airports but i expect the daa/Government have control of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bulk of passengers want to use Dublin. DAA only own it and Cork, if they have any away over airlines it's only between those two.

Shannon, Knock, Kerry, Donegal, Waterford (no flights but capable of resuming at short notice) are all independent of the DAA and each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is that the real root cause? I think the root cause that initially caused the delays was more passengers per hour than security could handle. Has that root cause been solved, as in if they ensure those at front of queue have a flight departing within 2 hours will no one miss their flight? I am all on for having even multiple queues such as my flight is 6am/7am/8am and allow people to wait until their queue starts to move.

If that's the only issue then why don't the DAA ask people to move into different lines or send them to a queue or holding area far away. It's hardly rocket science and then allow anyone with a flight departing within 90 minutes to jump the queue if they can prove it.

I think the reality is the limited security resources are not able to cope with peak demand even when during non peak they reduce staff, as in they simply do not have enough security people to cover 24/7/365 and something has got to give in that queues will form and if people are not allowed to jump to top of queue they will miss their flights. If they put on more security at morning rush they have no one else for evening rush.

Gross incompetence from DAA seems to be making matters worse, basic queue management should be a given, but don't blame the public who are trying to do what they can to prevent a holiday disaster.

It looks like there was no priority system...

Mr Cullinane referred to the "goodwill" of some passengers travelling today with one man allowed to be fast tracked so he could make his flight for his wedding abroad. However, he said it is "impossible" to facilitate everyone.

/ Quote

DAA are still saying arrive 2.5 hours early for short haul and 3.5 for long haul.

I am flying on Thursday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

Severe issues week before last during the afternoon DO NOT Ignore

• Agree and this attitude permeates right from the Government who are constantly on the back foot. Across the board of society there is serious decline in the standard of living in Ireland. Always reactive when it's too late instead of proactive on issues.

Dalton Philips gets another huge gig after successive strategic failures. But hey the bottom line looks good.

The poster who is repeatedly blaming passengers coming early is 110% laying the blame in the wrong area. Victim blaming at it's worst.

I ask he/she - Would you be confident to turn up 2hrs early for a necessary flight this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭chooseusername

What a dreadfully simple solution, how come no one thought of it before.

Just push the queues back out of the airport into the car parks,

or better still do not allow travellers to leave their homes too early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭bladespin

If management weren't ready and had plans in place for :

'And because the weekend is primarily holiday flights and charters there are more families and more "worry" and this leads to more and more coming early because they look on tiktok and see a queue that the tiktokker sensationalises as they did on Thursday / Friday & Saturday and each day more and more people came earlier and earlier creating a ripple effect.'

They're simply not fit to manage.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• If they were any use they would be getting the data from the airlines in advance and planning accordingly around the estimated passenger numbers.

Yes, it's basic stuff.

Also, very easy to foresee an 'early surge' if there's already been 'media' (RTE not just tictok) about airport delays in previous weeks, again, this is very basic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What part of “severely understaffed” do you not understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭Quags

I fly to London at 7.30am tomorrow and plan to be in the airport at 5am. Am now thinking it may have to be even earlier

You strike me as the type to arrive exactly 2.5 hours before your scheduled flight and when you’re still a mile back before security walk to the front of the queue and demand to speak to a manager because you arrived at the directed time and should therefore be accommodated. Well had you done that yesterday you’d have gotten a very short and firm response from the staff.

One ticket holder I witnessed was asked to move back repeatedly after screaming “I’m going to miss my flight” (this conversation started off peacefully before escalating) before security moved him away from the queue. I’m honestly surprised there wasn’t more interactions like this given the rising tensions in the building - that said I was through relatively early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭abff

I’m heading to the airport shortly. Planning to get there around 2 for a 5:25 flight. I’ll post how I’m getting on.

DAA should be able to see

0600-0900 25,000 passengers scheduled -> Due to sickness and holidays only screening capacity for 15,000 . Arriving earlier than 0430 is impossible for a lot of people

-> 10,000 people will miss flights, so we should get the airlines to cancel 50 flights ( what other answer is there , you can't have magic beans ) . you'd need to do this a week in advance but it would cause a ruckus

you can't delay most aircraft, they mostly have slots so that don't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭abff

Took me 30 minutes to clear security from when I arrived at terminal 2. Probably would have taken somewhat longer at terminal 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

17 security staff didn't turn up for work yesterday??? wtf is going on?? were they in France for the football & rugby...or is there more to it than that??

anyone working in D.A fill us in?? is there disharmony of some sort?😶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Liverpool & Leinster matches--> or maybe they simply don't like their jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭howiya

Maybe given the casual nature of the contract (guaranteed 30 hours, be available for more) they made alternative plans. Who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf i can fairly understand why people might be out with stress/mental health leave in that job.

• Advertisement

Its very simple they had staff and let them go. they decided to pay a pittance. good reliabable people are scarce. what were they thinking "profit"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I can't be the only one who thinks this is just another facet of the 'overdevelopment' of Dublin city. Use other airports no system can cope if everyone is travelling from the same place at the same time. In the greater scheme of things foreign holidays are not that important anyway.

You might be forgiven for thinking from the wall to wall media coverage that this was the greatest issue in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'm not blaming passengers as it's human nature when you see all the social media posts from last week even though those queues were only 30-40 minutes.

DAA have to change their methods. One thing they can do in an instant is to control those entering the airport and restrict it to those with flights within 3 hours.

That will control the flow.

Note how quickly you can get through security in the evening? Because whilst there are many flights from 6pm, there are very few after 9pm.

So certainly not blaming passengers, they just are reacting to what they see, but there has to be segregation of those arriving far to early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My guess is very little...a multi point plan with a lot of very flowery words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,951 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stansted is poxy at the best of times.. has been always… Gatwick is 1000 more efficient and friendly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I normally use Gatwick but on this occasion Im staying with friends who are only 6 miles from Stansted so it has to be there for a pick up and drop off. Still dreading it though, Im not a fan of that airport at the best of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya I'm not realistically sure what they can do in a week. Offer lots of overtime pay maybe, I think they've already reassigned people from Cork for the last few months so not much else they can do there bar closing Cork down, prioritise vetting for their staff maybe.

i expect that means if its not resolved within 24 hours there be a resignation. Who if not fixed as the minister will be weakened by idle threat.

I think the Ministers was a fool to ask for something that has being going on to my knowledge since the introduction of Covid test requirement which is about a year. It will be sorted in 24 hours??

The expectation is fix in 24 hours or a head, who's head if not fixed.

• The weekend will be a shitshow. There is no effective plan that can be put in place this late.

A huge shitshow. Not sure what the DAA can come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Useful Twitter account

Dasecuritytimes

Seems a lot more manageable today (so far) and yesterday seemingly been no queues outside terminal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

In Shannon airport..Took 3mins 10 secs from getting my boarding pass checked to leaving security check...just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

And what's your point exactly?

Not everyone is going to Greece or Spain for sun and cheap beer... some of us travel to "non-standard" destinations and need to fly from Dublin as there are more destinations served by that airport.

Diversify the destinations served by Shannon for sure, but that's not going to happen over night.

The exact pointy is why is all the focus on Dublin Airport, Munster has 2 international Airports, Connaught has 1 international Airports. Why are people travelling from say Galway to fly to Malaga to get early morning flights as Shannon flights at niight. I expect its to do with landing but its DAA/Government job. We have people running across the country and local Airports empty. I expect half of Europe holiday travel be easily managed from regional airports. Take preassure off all limited infastructure in Dublin, Aikrport, parking etc its €200+ to park in red car park for a week at the moment about £40 in Belfast international.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Nermal

Because centralisation and scale mean more flights and more destinations can be offered at a lower price.

Our response to pressure on limited infrastructure should be to build more infrastructure to cope with that pressure, not try to divert it or choke it.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I would fly from a regional airport in a heartbeat, Dublin is a kip and the drive is an absolute ballache, but as it stands, most of the regional airports only serve sun destinations, apart from the likes of London, New York and a few other mainstream locations.

The problem is almost all main roads literally lead to Dublin, that's where the bulk of the population is, and that's where the "decent" flights depart from.

Boasting about getting through security at Shannon in "3mins 10 secs" isn't going to help anyone flying from Dublin because they opted for the additional choices that Dublin offers... Not everyone wants to fly to Fuerteventura from Shannon at 6.45 on a Saturday morning and be stuck there for 7 days as there is only one flight a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

> most of the regional airports only serve sun destinations, apart from the likes of London, New York and a few other mainstream locations.

Yep, the only way to get from Shannon or Cork to anywhere except the UK or a beach is to connect in Amsterdam, London or Paris , or just fly from Dublin.

And ffs, when they do run flights from Cork to Munich for instance, or indeed Zurich, its priced for business or well heeled ski traffic (mostly 300-400 return) which then just drives people to opt to fly to Dublin to have a half ways affordable flight.

Explain first line, For example Ryanair fly to Airports on the outskirts of most European cities but they cannot do in Ireland.

I expect they working on it as they opened a new facility at Shannon in recent weeks.

"Explain first line, For example Ryanair fly to Airports on the outskirts of most European cities but they cannot do in Ireland."

Perhaps because most of those cities have a population that is either close to or greater than Dublin, or perhaps because the populations of the catchment areas of those European cities certainly exceed the populations of the catchment areas of Irish regional airports.

The maintenance base means nothing for extra destinations from Shannon, they simply got a better deal on rent from Shannon Airport than their current bases, and they can poach readily trained staff from the maintenance facilities already at Shannon.

see https://twitter.com/DASecurityTimes

Probably worth doubling those numbers, whatever tech they are using .... people on twitter this morning reporting double those times (at the times mentioned )

The number of people travelling from Munster and Connaught travelling to Dublin to travel to Malaga is crazy.

Whats happening now is clearly not working so people need to be shifted from Dublin.

a 738 can make it from Knock/Shannon to the Canaries easily, its not a runway length issue .

DAA already saying staff levels next weekend will be at 70% of normal levels, with the June Bank Holiday weekend traditionally one of the busiest weekends of the year. Should be interesting…..

Its Government nonsense as for years it was compulsory for all atlantic flights to stop at Shannon, i know its a bit out of way but Limerick/Ennis/Galway/Athlone within striking distance. Shannon not under DAA.

The two transport ministers need to resign, this is going on for nearly a year and they only found out on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The problem now is folks showing up 3-4-5-6 hours ahead of departure clogging the system

They need a very clear policy that unless your flight is leaving in the next 2.5 hours (or 3.5 for US) you can't get into the terminal full stop that would help

Advertisement