Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Hit and a miss.

Try again. Section 31 was implemented to stop a group of terrorists.

The main person was Gerry Adams who himself has numerous times tried to censor the media. As I have already provided on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They might have had the power to censor ANYTHING they didn't like, but they didn't exercise that power. All they did was ban "any matter that could be calculated to promote the aims or activities of any organisation which engages in, promotes, encourages or advocates the attaining of any particular objectives by violent means."

As someone who supports change by peaceful means and opposes violence, do you have a problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ah, just because they haven't done it does not mean they didn't give themselves the power to.

The power swap also censored literature and art they didn't like.

Track records everywhere!

Factually wrong. Section 31 was a part of the Broadcasting ACT of 1960. Do your due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Advertisement

Did I say it wasn't? I said it was implemented. Again you don't read a post and then make an accusation.

Now please retract the incorrect accusation you made

Your question is irrelevant to the point made.

They took onto themselves the power to censor anything they didn't like. Exactly the same thing that is being scaremongered about SF here

Which bit of that is causing you issue?

Section 31 was 'implemented' once the Act became law. It can be used at any time. The government gave themselves the power to censor the media.

What you meant to say was the section was only used so far to censor the IRA and a political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

It has been a long time since scum like Conor Cruise O'Brien could dictate what the media could and could not report. It has also been a long time since the Stickies (Official Sinn Fein/Workers Party/etc) dictated the news agenda in RTE. The problem for FF/FG/Labour is that the political landscape has changed.

As for the rubbish about "press freedom", Ireland has never had press freedom in the same way that other countries had. RTE's reporting has been heavily politicised. As for newspapers like the Sunday Independent and the Independent, they were also heavily politicised. You might not have heard of the infamous "Payback" frontpage of the Indo. Then there is was the unfettered ownership of much of the Irish media by Dinny O'Brien. That suited FF/FG/Labour.

A few years ago, IN&M, was bought in a firesale by Mediahuis (a Belgian company). O'Brien lost about 450 million Euro on his investment in IN&M. He also sold some of his other media companies. Eoghan Harris/Barbara J. Pym, an individual who would blame SF for Original Sin if he had the brains to think of it, was fired.

Mediahuis has been moving its newspapers towards a more centrist stance from their previously partisan, pro-government stance. RTE is completely dependent on government funding to survive. FF/FG/Labour have worked for decades to prevent media/press freedom in Ireland because they know that a free and open press will finish them as major political parties.

Remember when Labour used to have 37 TDs and then only returned 7 TDs in one election cycle?

Remember when FF won over 40% of the first preference votes?

Remember when RTE claimed that there was no IMF bailout when news channels were showing the IMF people walking down the street in Dublin?

Remember when Varadkar was supposed to lead FG to greater heights and win more seats for FG?

Remember when RTE underreported the numbers protesting against the Water Tax?

Most people no longer trust the Irish media to the extent that they did. That's why RTE had to run its laughable adverts about truth in the news. So what if MLMcD is taking a case against RTE. It is her right to do so.

Regards...jmcc

Thread is about Mary Lou suing RTE.

If you want to start a separate thread on the topic you raise I am sure it will be a lively debate

• Advertisement

RtÉ's truth in the news was (rightly) instigated to combat covid misinformation and anti vax rubbish on social media btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

If you read the thread and were honest about it, you'd see people accusing her, the alledged victim, of lying, comparing her to all sorts of reprobates and drawing conclusions on the reasons she brought the case....all before we've been told the actual official details.

So keep your shinners in your head and under your bed go to statements, its not credible.

Rubbish! You haven't a clue about Section 31 and are just waffling about press freedom as if it was a hashtag on Twitter. Here's an article from RTE's website about it:

Regards...jmcc

I'm still waiting on your correlation between your claims of SF trying to stop your pedophile story and this case.

Very difference to censoring peaceful democratic debate as MLMD is attempting.

We believe MLMD is suing because of the claims made about her, in her absence, by the host of an RTE radio show. It wasn't debate, it was claims made by the national broadcaster which MLMD feels defamed her. In your rush to 'get the shinner' you are ignoring she is the alledged victim here and going right for the victim before we've even had the official details. Thats pretty ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I've listened to the piece.

RTE: Brid Smith, are you happy to share a platform with the leader of a party, namely Sinn Fein, whose public response initially to women who spoke of their abuse by the IRA was not to believe them, not to condemn their testimony, not that they as rape victims were made to face their rapists in a room set up by the IRA. Are you happy to share a platform with the leader of a party who would do that?

Brid Smith said she was there representing the supporters of PBP and she would even share a platform with Regina Doherty even though she fully disagreed with a lot of her politics, she would still speak on the same platform. etc. etc (not fully quoted)

Regina Doherty: Don’t equate my politics or my ideology with SF’s mistreatment of women who were sexually abused and assaulted by members of SF and the IRA.

Brid Smith: I’m not boycotting a platform because of the politics of women on it etc.etc. (not fully quoted).

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22063398/ relevant part starts about 8 mins in.

I can see a few problems with that such as:

1) RTE making a statement accusing MLMD/SF when they were not there to respond/defend it. That is just cheap shot journalism that you would expect from the British tabloids.

2) Is what they are saying true. My understanding is that MLMD did apologise to Mairia Cahill (a few times), but she didn't accept the apology.

3) Regina Doherty accused SF members of sexually abusing women. I think RTE has left itself open to legal challenge for allowing that to be said unanswered. Mairia Cahill withdrew her case. The PSNI/NI judicial system were to blame for badly handling the case and actually apologised for their handling of it.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mairia-cahill-mary-lou-mcdonald-2-4350885-Nov2018/

It was already provided. To remind you Gerry Adams tried to shut down his own niece and the media from printing the story

I am not sure why we need to constantly repeat the same information already provided on the thread.

Excuse me? please remind me again what has Section 31 got to do with Mary Lou suing the RTE?

Because you never gave details and kept bringing it up so I asked you to show your claim that SF tried to silence the media on your pedophile story and how it relates to this MLMD case, as you also claimed. I said let's discuss it and you never responded. Now you are back peddling.

Mairia Cahill is one person. Plenty of other cases just Mairia has been brave enough to go public and face the back lash from the SF online trolls and death threat etcs

• Advertisement

YOU brokenangle are the one scaremongering about what a SF government MIGHT do to censor the media, completely oblivious to the FACT the power swap have taken the power onto themselves to censor by law anything they don't like. And have done that.

As usual Francie every thread goes to "something something da guberment something something"

It is very tiresome that you ruin every single thread on here with your rubbish.

If you want to discuss da guberment and media then open a thread.

This thread is clearly about SF and MLMD trying to censor the media

This is the scaremongering you don't like being challenged. I wonder why?

Let get back on topic.

So now we have journalist confirming that Sinn fein seem to have a campaign against them. This is very troubling for the people of Ireland.

I hope RTE fight this claim and fight it with everything they have got. After all it's the tax payer that SF are attacking with this case.

Every newspaper in Ireland should be covering and writing stories on this to highlight what SF are trying to do.

All of the website, boards, twitter, reddit etc need to have a serious look at themselves and stop this online barrage from SF supporters which are trying to shut down conversations.

This crusade that Sinn Fein have against all opposition has to be stopped, the media should be allowed to discuss topics without fear. This is what Ireland had before Sinn fein became popular, it is something we certainly should not be giving up for a political party

Mairia withdrew her case in this instance against her rapist. My opinion is that the problem is the judicial system. Not whether MLMD apologised or not.

Everything in that post is the truth. I have already provided the multiple cases SF have taken against media to stop news stories.

An excellent example on boards with people creating multiple accounts to try and change the discussion.

It's a pity SF wouldn't help to implement the online bill to allow the Gardai to bring these people to court. It's about time it was safe online for political supporters of all parties. No chance they will

I am just pointing out the RTE interview didn't mention Mairia. It just mentioned women. The stories are available all across the web of what SF and PIRA did, no need to share details here. Mairia is just someone brave enough to stand up.

From reading that transcript above, it is hard to think that an RTE journalist would make such a potentially actionable comment.

Regards...jmcc

The statement put by RTE fits exactly what Mairia Cahill said happened to her, so yes RTE were referring to Mairia. Who else had exactly the same experience?

It was put as a statement. OK if someone from SF was there to reply, but not when they were not. And then of course, Regina Doherty jumping in with a scattergun abuse accusation of all SF members. Very, very poor from RTE.

• Advertisement

But they didn't mention her name. The stories are available of some of the women online. I read 1-2 and too gruesome to continue. If the argument from SF is that it has to be Mairia because the other women they killed or didn't even bother giving them a kangaroo court then I don't expect them to get any sympathy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement