Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

9 shots on target against 2. That means the attacking players were doing the right stuff. Just Courtois was unbelievable.

Re Mane leaving - they have Jota, Salah, Diaz and Firmino, and keep adding new players, e.g. Carvalho, a midfielder who scored 10 this season. I think people who saw Coutinho leaving thought it would be doom and gloom. They'll be comfortably in the top 3 in England again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Courtois was superb, monstrous performance in the few times he was called upon to make really good saves - one from Salah and the other was Mane I think?

Casemiro was also incredible, particularly in the second half, he was everywhere intercepting and breaking up play. The way the Madrid players were able to be some calm, composed and accurate in their passing through the press in the second half and trying to see the game out was also superb the majority of the time. Dragging the pool players out of position to leave the gaps for the counters, in Liverpools defence Konate was also super at covering and they dealt well with most of what Madrid threw at them.

The right team won on the night, the team who took their chance(s) when they came. I was surprised they managed to hold out pool for the 90 minutes. For whatever reason the goalscoring touch left Liverpool in all the finals this season. Its not easy competing for the biggest trophies, tell you what though - Madrid must have had one of the hardest runs (on paper at least!) to the final

Was it, Chelsea - PSG - City - Pool? Thats some gauntlet like, fair play to them.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sir Alex Ferguson says hi, his words always twisted and used to attack United fans and to try to spoil his achievements.

In terms of how much abuse pool fans would give United fans (online and in real life), I think Pool fans are getting off very lightly with the bantz. What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

This new quote feature is a pain.

he flagged for the initial benzema chance which was not offside. granted, i cant actually remember but if that was offside var wouldn't have spent 5 mins looking at the 2nd offside.

now, if you're saying the linesman flagged for the 2nd offside...well thats just ludacris from the linesman. no way in the world can someone make a split second decision on that when it takes a team with all the camera angles and slow mo a few mins to reach a conclusion.

either way (IMO) whichever offside call you are talking about, the linesman was incorrect to flag it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

If the decision had gone against Liverpool, I would’ve been unhappy with it. Was full sure it was going to be allowed. It should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Like many other examples it really just shows VAR has solved nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Paris has hosted big games like this on several occasions. Was there any explanation from the authorities of what happened here. They put the Euros in Wembley last year and that was a mess as well. Becoming harder to organise and police these events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Perhaps the organisers are just not planning for the worse case scenarios especially in the number of stewards and police they are hiring for events. It woukd explain why police were so agressive if they thought they had a lack of backup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The police were aggressive because that's what French (and most European) police do. There are plenty of stories over the years of the traveling support of English clubs being subjected to overly and unnecessarily violent treatment from the local police at European matches. Saturday juct gets more air time because it was the final and the worlds media saw it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Madrid fans reporting how bad it was in Paris as well.

The story is told by five Real Madrid fans : José Francisco Iglesias, his wife Arancha Cortés and their daughter Jimena Iglesias, César Aranguren and Alfredo Gómez. They could be like hundreds of other fans who at this time return to Madrid or Liverpool with various intermingled sensations. There is everything: a part, the madridista, which talks about celebration, photos at the Eiffel Tower or a scream until the hoarseness after Vinícius's goal and the fourteenth. But the trip to France and the Champions League final in Saint-Denis has a secondary memory , a horror movie in which thousands of fans were the protagonists.

It was dawn on Saturday when these 5 friends parked the van in the Saint-Denis neighborhood. José Francisco speaks: "We parked in the neighborhood and a boy came who stood in front of us and with the google translator he told us, do you know where you are parking? and he asked us for 50 euros to protect the van . We ended up giving him 40, so He took a picture and passed it on to his band, I guess." It would end up intact.

Then came the game, and the chaos: "There were no security rings or anything like that, anyone could sneak in and those who were seen jumping fences were people from the neighborhood , of various races, who were already seen looking at everyone , playing, looking for watches, mobiles", recalls José Francisco, who points out: "That's how it happened later, there were a lot of people without tickets, full vomitories, mixed hobbies. People sneaked in and could sit wherever they wanted".

The situation worsened at the end of the game , especially for Arancha Cortés and her daughter, who had not entered the stadium: "We left a bar towards the subway and I began to see hundreds of people from the neighborhood looking at us, stalking all the fans , looking for something to steal. The first load arrived and everything got worse, because everything around it was closed. I called my husband and asked him to leave the stadium because we were very scared, and there were hundreds of fans of both teams."

And when José Francisco left the field, the scene was found: "You saw floods of people of this type going to the stadium, stealing, robbing, with cutters to cut bags. I couldn't believe what was happening, it's that there were hundreds and hundreds . I got to the subway and people were terrified from down there, imagine what was happening there. They fired pepper spray and it affected us completely".

The pure instinct of survival led fans to seek the sum of people, self-defense: "The fans got together with each other to form shields and defend themselves better, Real Madrid and Liverpool fans even. Then I found out that many girls had been stripped naked and robbed ."

The vicissitudes of the group did not end there. It was already dawn when they tried to get together to look for the van and escape: "And then César disappeared ," recalls José Francisco. And they waited for him, and they waited for him, and Caesar did not appear.

90 euros to leave the neighborhood

"I had left the stadium when I noticed that someone reached into my pocket and took my mobile . My first reaction was to immediately go running after him and I chased him until I crossed a corner: there were dozens of boys from the neighborhood looking at me with a face that didn't know what to expect. I screamed for help and the police arrived soon, they entered the house where the boy was supposed to be and they took him out already handcuffed and everything. It was two in the morning and I just wanted to leave but they forced me to go to the police station to file a complaint. There were hundreds of fans there denouncing, especially from Liverpool . When I left, it was already three o'clock and I looked like crazy for a car that would take me out of the neighborhood. I stopped a guy and he asked me for 90 euros to help me. I would have paid him a thousand euros at that time". 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

ger gilroy's 1st hand account of what happened. bout 1 min in to 13 mins:

That is what is said about the spanish police too. But i think that image may have resulted in no problems in the europa league final between rangers and frankfurt, both of which had fans with not so long afo histories of fans behaving badly. Possibly those parisian youths wouldnt have tried something if they feared the police more.

@winstonia83 & @Quazzie are you both still going to stand by your persistent comments despite all the evidence to the contrary that this was totally and only on the pool fans? or are you both to cowardly to admit what you were both doing by continuously posting the same nonsense my guess is you are both to cowardly to admit it

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The locals seemed to have caused a lot of issues, and were the ones storming the gates and jumping in without tickets. Some even being let in easily.

So instead of having proper security checks on the outskirts of the stadium, they instead just funnelled fans into narrow avenues and locked the gates to keep everyone out instead causing a massive problem.

Lots of stories of people with real tickets being rejected and told they had fakes, including tickets directly from the players and press being told their press passes were fake. Shambles of an set up.

Have to wonder how much of an affect it had on the players too. 2 delays to the kick off time, and knowing that their friends, family and fans were caught up in all the trouble outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The turnstile design is terrible it has to be said, like something on the underground, waist height barrier, easily hurdled.

Again the turnstiles were never a problem before today. No one without a ticket gets anywhere near the turnstiles at any big game I was ever at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There's been lies spread by the authorities so it's hard to trust anything else they're saying. It doesn't add up.

At one stage UEFA were saying that they weren't aware that the police would kettle fans under the bridge like they did, shifting blame to the police.

It was a shambles though from both in terms of organisation and policing. Created a very very dangerous situation. Both UEFA and the police continue to double down though.

I'd hope Paris never gets to host a game like this again.

Detailed, insightful reporting, from an actual witness, by Kaveh Solhekol  again. But I suppose the keyboard warriors from their Irish bedrooms know better.

Mayor Steve Rotheram yet another victim of the appalling policing on the night. Looking forward to what he will have to say.

• Advertisement

Individual experiences do not necessarily contradict the figures the french were quoting. 70 per cent of tickets being fake does seem like an extoardinary hugh number. The french are not going to accept criticism from the british that is clear. Too much bad blood between the two as s result of brexit.

This is a very good account from someone on the ground.

"What I saw was a shambles, was total disorganisation, and the blame was totally with UEFA, the French Authorities, the Stadium Authorities and the French Police."

I was fully convinced that their cover up would work but there's a lot of journalists and other prominent figures with first hand experiences and the wave of stories and video evidence to the contrary of the authorities is damning

Most of the issues seem to be from locals robbing people. Can't blame uefa for that. Only a certain few keep on bringing up the same point now distracting from the great result and win by Real Madrid.

So you are to cowardly to admit you are wrong on blaming he pool fans so it is now quite clear what you are at posting on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

These conversations make it appear as if winstonia83 is afraid to take on the PepsiChallenge.

you have been obsessing about the whole thing since Saturday but because you can no longer defend your own position you start telling us what we should stop posting.

So is the story of fake tickets just a smokescreen? As I said Paris has hosted big games like this several times on a regular basis and I don't recall issues of this magnitude before.

Jason McAteer now on Ray DArcy show almost in tears. Heartbreaking to listen to what he and his family endured, simply getting in and out of a football game.

Yes, watch the above sky sports report.

It's absolutely a smokescreen. I haven't heard of any Liverpool fans complaining about fake tickets. I'm sure there were some around as there were touts about but this industrial level faking isn't possible at the numbers they said in the press conference.

All the first hand experiences are of people with genuine tickets not getting in or being told that their genuine ticket was fake.

I've never seen anything of this magnitude anywhere either. It was completely shambolic and they've lied from the start to try and save face.

70% of tickets were fake? 30k fans without tickets turning up as well? Patently false.

As the guy from Sky Sports said, be very very cautious in how you take the remarks coming from that press conference because it's from one side only and is in direct contradiction to what was seen on the concourse.

This is all before we get to the tear gas at the fanzone, the police intimidation inside the ground at the end of the day and the local French people assaulting fans on the way home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

70% of tickets fake, lol, so if 20k were genuine that means ~50k fakes.

So there were 70k Liverpool fans outside the ground according to the French authorities.

There should have been multiple ticket checks around that ground, nobody without a ticket should have been left with 500m of the ground.

If that means closing the local metro station if its too close to the ground then that has to be done like was planned for Lansdowne Road during the Euros.

It seems there were zero preliminary checks and people could get to the turnstiles without showing a ticket.

The French made a complete balls of this in almost every area.

St. Denis has nothing got to do with it really. If it was on in Parc de Prince I'm sure the scumbags would have went down. Also as has been pointed out over and over many of us have been to that stadium and had a great time.

Blaming St. Denis is just as much victim blaming as saying it was the fans.

The organizer's and authorities fked up not St. Denis or Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Shhh don't spoil the narrative of certain posters that it was because Liverpool fans turned up late

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Because it happened to Famous Ex players - UEFA are clearly not telling the truth.

Because it happened to a Huge Number of Media Personnel - UEFA are clearly not telling the truth.

Because it happened to Corporate members who are vocally complaining - UEFA are clearly not telling the truth.

Because there were videos 90 to 120 minutes before the scheduled start time of the Chaos - UEFA are clearly not telling the truth.

Before the game they said Delayed Due To The Late Arrival Of Fans - An absolute Blatant Lie.

Now, 70% of tickets were Fake - who do they think will actually believe this?

Robertson's brother had a Club ticket and was told it was Fake, I mean come on.

UEFA/Police have made an absolute mess of it, from start to finish.

• Advertisement

Sadly the same sponsors who couldn't give a fk about World Cups in Russia and Qatar.

What would actually hurt uefa is the super league actually happening and going ahead and a complete break away from them by the top clubs even the madrid fans were booing the champions league anthem after the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That’s the only reason that uefa might respond. Uefa don’t care about the fans but the sponcors are another thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i think you’re misinterpreting what Klopp said.

It wasn’t “they were rubbish except for their goalkeeper”, it was “if their goalkeeper is having a stormer, you’re in trouble”. No different to if Benzema had scored three and if Klopp had said “if their striker is MOTM, things are going wrong for the other team”.

• Advertisement

In a way we are lucky that we are living in the social media age and can see all the evidence ourselves. What really happened and how much it contradicts what the French officials are saying. We've seen how other football games have been affected by distaster and cover ups by governments before. And the decades of vitrol, abuse and stigmas that followed too seems to be still stuck in the mindset of a some.

Jake Humphrey went was quick to parrot the line about Liverpool fans showing up late live on air on BT Sports, which was seen by millions live at the time. While at the same time, the previous lead BT Sports presenter Gary Linekar was telling what was really happening. Jake Humphrey later quietly tweeted the next day thanking Liverpool fans for helping his elderly parents who were caught up in the trouble outside. He now knew the true story but still didn't apologise for the mis-information he was happy to tell everyone the previous night in the midst of it all. I'm sure BT knew what was happening but somehow chose not to report it.

The French seem to be changing their story, and changing it behind the scenes. First they blame 'the late arrival of fans ' when when videos from before the game show fans being there over 2.5 hours before kick off and being blocked out by that police and then locked gates, they have now changed their story to 'fake tickets' with some wild numbers being bandied about and don't make sense at it would show that tens of thousands of 'fake tickets' would have had to get through their first security steps. "Industrial scale" production of fake tickets they said, so you would expect a lot of journalists and fans to lay eyes on these or have them with them. But they are yet to be seen. Of course there will be a few fake tickets for large events, there always is, "industrial scale" would suggest a much much greater amount. Where are the thousands of confiscated fake tickets?

Sounds like French media are starting to call out the French officials now too for their lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Disgusting lies coming from UEFA

Have never been to Paris and never want to, sounds like an absolute kip. And as for the French police, what a way to treat tourists from Spain and England coming to your city to spend money and enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Peter Collins on RTÉ was quick to parrot the same thing and it went unchallenged in the main, his opinions echoed by Didi Hamman, before Richie Sadlier started to read twitter and started to dispute the claims.

Given the sh1te viewership figures normally on BT Sport, probably as many saw Collins live as did Jake. It really was amateur hour.

One of The Anfield Wrap (podcast) guys was asked for a bribe by a steward at the turnstiles to let him in AFTER scanning his ticket he got in the ballot. Basically saying yeah you have a ticket it's good but you have to make it worth my while to open the gate.

This is at the biggest sporting event in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Henry Winter tonight in the Times

No part of official version of events in Paris rings true

The chaotic scenes at the Stade de France were a PR disaster for the French state – but the authorities have really outdone themselves with shameful response to the backlash

..........So here is the experience of one leading business figure, hugely respected within the European footballing club and international community, who attended the final with 100-plus colleagues and corporate clients who all had tickets. He’s a neutral, a supporter of neither club, but a passionate fan of football, and his clients pour many millions into the sport.

He speaks of French methods revealing “a mentality in which spectators were regarded as a mob to be bent and beaten into a pre-ordained order rather than customers to be accommodated, respected and protected”. No wonder the corporate classes are asking strong questions of Uefa.

His experience tallies with those of the Liverpool fans now rightly railing at Uefa and the French authorities. Along with his large party, he approached the ground and encountered Liverpool and Real Madrid fans queuing because the police had formed those controversial pinch-points with vans parked diagonally in the underpass 100 metres from the Stade de France. “The effects of this tactic were potentially catastrophic,” he tells me, and will soon tell Uefa. “I was personally crushed on three occasions and in the last of these my feet actually left the floor.”

Fortunately for all involved, and one reason why European football is not conducting an inquest into loss of life today, the forbearance of both sets of supporters was admirable. “The behaviour of the fans around me was exemplary,” he continues. “Encouragement was offered uniformly and in several languages. Great care was shown to discourage surges and help those suffering panic attacks or discomfort.” Consider these words, as Uefa soon must. Surges. Panic attacks. Police action risked a catastrophe in that underpass and beyond. And consider that those poor souls suffering panic attacks may have been of an age that they experienced Hillsborough. The police approach was totally unthinking.

“The patience displayed by fans of both teams was beyond reproach and matched only by the indifference of the police who watched the situation unfold from positions of safety,” the businessman continues. “The final pinch-point took 45 minutes to navigate but probably a lifetime to fully process.” He says some of his clients and colleagues had “even more terrifying experiences”.

This is a man experienced in helping organise football events, let alone attend them, and he was horrified by French incompetence and belligerence.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I was on a teams call with one of our clients this morning, he's a big football fan so you can imagine what took up 90% of the call. Anyway he tells me this from the weekend, his company had a box and about 30 clients invited to the game. The corporate entrance was closed at their side for whatever reason so they had to try enter in through the normal gates. One of the clients got his ticket confiscated by security and they told him it was fake. He told them under no circumstances was it fake as he was presented the ticket in an involope from one of the stadiums corporate manages. Security guard went off then and came back 5 minutes later and told him he could buy it back off him for €1000 if he wanted!!!

Paris host’s events like this all the time and usually flawlessly. They were given this event at short notice because of Putin’s war in Ukraine. Obviously something went seriously wrong with the planning. It looks like they’re in defensive mode, defending their positions and their jobs.

They’re also not about to take an ounce of criticism from the English and I don’t blame them for that given the chaos and poor management of the Euro Final between Italy and England last summer.

Paris is a great city. If you have never been to Paris and never want to go there, that’s your loss.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement