Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Yeah, it's a nice case. There is a couple of mods out there to invert the case making it more like the NR200P MAX . You can get better compatibility for AIO's with the GPU in a horizontal position. If I get some time I might actually try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Computer, what do you mean I thermal-throttled my top end GPU in a Be Quiet! case?

I think I upped the fan speed.... but it's hard to tell, it's quiet!

Well ****. I done must have put her through too much suffering, even though a few days ago I had ended up removing the filters off the case to get high airflow going through, and turning off the auto-OC in the driver, and it's been temperature-stable, but now it's doing this. Not sure if AMD or PowerColor is to blame, but probably PowerColor, coil whine has been present in the unit from the beginning. Thankfully, Amazon is helping me with a hot-swap.

I checked my PSU again and it's an RM850x. Technically below what they recommend but the way the PSU is specced, the 12V rail is rated to 849.6W, and the PSU will put out any combo of 850W, MB is (up to) 150W, the CPU is 65W TDP, and it's a 330W card, there's still big overhead. The only thing I can think to do different is double check the cabling; I have 3x8 pins on this, and TBF I am only using 2 cables to supply all 3, but I figured this shouldn't be a key issue, given the PSU supplier lets me do this with OEM cables they expect a PCIe high wattage use card right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I also have a RM850x PSU with a 6900 XT reference so it only has two 8 pin sockets and no issues. That PSU should be enough for a 6950 XT. What is that running in the corner going weird is it some sort of FPS counter app? If that card was at fault would the whole image not be effected?

@Overheal I can't speak for the distorted image, maybe it's like what wotzgoingon suggested , an error with a FPS counter app ? Regarding the coil whine I had coil whine on the first RX6700XT or RX6800 I got. That was with a 650 watt be-quite PSU , I was only using one PCI-E power cables daisy chained. When I switched to using 2 separate cables the noise disappeared. Seen the same thing happen on a RTX 3070 too. If I was was you I'd use the 3rd cable

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It looks like the AMD software thing that pops up when you launch a game to me.

it's the AMD overlay trying to do the best it can (AMD calls this the 'toast notification' in settings)

I won't pretend to know the failure modes of a modern GPU. But yeah I remember my INFAMOUS Geforce 8400M GS having a complete shitfit because of Nvidia's Soldergate (throwback: Nvidia executive emails say 'yeah, just ship the defective products anyway')... when that had issues yes, the whole rasterization of the screen was totally fucked, and I'd just get a kaleidoscope of triangles once the GPU got up to temperature.

Post edited by Overheal on

Yeah, I think I have 3 PCIe cables and ports available still for a 3rd direct cable and I tend to agree with the logic, but I know enough about electrical theory to know I don't know a thing about electrical theory. It does seem practical that, if one of 2 Y-plugs is drawing more power than the other, that the signal is going to be 'dirty' between the 2 of them. That said, I would have figured the board puts the power back on a common rail once delivered from the PSU.

I found a Kermit the Frog impersonator on Youtube that already toredown one of the new 6950 XTs but I don't see one for the Red Devil.

https://youtu.be/H2E2swBDml4?t=1132 <- starting to talk about power delivery and in their humble the input filtering on the 6950 XT is "light," typical of the RX 6900 card line, and will result in 'more switching noise' which in my experience, may have been detrimental to the card.

So, yes, definitely going to triple cable, probably go ahead and do it on the dud this afternoon. I should be getting the newbie tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Last chance to buy a RX6700XT, RX6800 or RX6800XT for MRSP direct from AMD - Special Opportunity to Buy an AMD Radeon RX 6700 X... - AMD Community.

Register your interest with the link above

Cards here... shame these don't crossfire anymore, not that I have the cabling for all that. This is a lot of money sitting on my desk - 2 6950 XTs? dang.

I decided I'm gonna wait until sunday to put the new serial no. GPU in here because as it turns out, I only have 2 PCIe power cables for up to 4x8 pins.

Corsair gave me 3 8-pin CPU cables, but only 2 PCIe Y-cables.

And I checked, thats the BOM, not a mistake. I don't get it. **** you threadripper; why wouldn't you gimm a 3rd PCIe cable with THREE CPU cables.

Anyway I ordered another **** corsair compatible PCIe cable so I can get all 24 pins going straight to the GPU from the PSU so all the load balancing can happen there, and I hope not to hear coil whine when that process is done.

Well still have the coil whine and looking around online, 6950 XT users seem to be finding out, Red Devil *really meant* a 950W+ PSU for a ~330W card.

-_- Replacing a Corsair RM850X with an EVGA Supernova GT 1kW now and undervolting/running silent BIOS until that unit arrives, and playing lighter games like... Planetside 2, which is finally one of those really smooth FPS experiences with ultra graphics and draw distance.

That's a shame, it does seem that each generation's top tiers power requirements are getting bigger and bigger. It's another expense to consider when upgrading

There's going to be a limit at some point - once you get past 1kw you start wondering about your circuit breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

From some reading I did the other night, American households can handle 1800W (120V x 15A) or 2400W (120V x 20A) max while Irish sockets can handle up to ~3000W (230V x 13A). For safety though, you're only supposed to do 80% of max, so 1440/1920/2400W respectively.

Mind you, that's per socket - add other items, e.g. monitor, to a wall strip & you need to combine their power use.

I keep a Kill-a-Watt on the head of the PC power delivery, the desktop, speakers and 2 monitors Idle at about 125W. so I assume my transient peak wattage would be up to 1200W

Seems an over supply of RX6700M mobile chips which where also used in mining only cards have resulted in the release of a new 10GB ram desktop card the RX6700. It's performs somewhere in-between a RX6650XT and a RX6700XT.

Also the RX6900XT has returned to the AMD shop, they must have had a bunch returned unopened by folks who couldn't resell them. Absolutely no point in buying one as many better preforming AIB's are available for less

Smart of them. Generations of cards have come and went with 8GB VRAM that I think consumers are expecting more advancement in that spec. Should be beneficial for Smart Access Memory and for DirectStorage.

Changing the PSU to 1000W didn't do a damn thing for the coil whine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Limiting the FPS to the refresh rate usually does it.

It helps but not in everything, eg. starcitizen.exe, or other games that drag the framerate below the refresh rate.

Steve released a huge expose'/documentary about this issue! Not just for AMD mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Not really a new development but good to see it covered so throughly.

I've a 3080 FE and a 9700k which is fine on a Corsair HX750 Gold but the spikes are a bit higher than I thought they would be going by that video. Still a decent PSU like the HX should be able to handle it.

In saying that ,it's undervolted so may not be as bad.

As he said in video it would be madness to buy a high end card atm with the new gen to be released some time into the future. So pick up a 6600 non XT and enjoy 1080p or 1440p gaming and beat out the RTX 3050 really easily and by that I mean crush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Most American property's run one circuit per socket to my knowledge.

We can run up to 3000watts on a plug usually, even then we wouldn't hit the breaker as most circuit's can handle a good bit more.

Basically, 120volt bad for devices that pull a good bit of power.

You sure about that? Every socket in the house has its own circuit breaker? I worked as a EE in the US and I don't remember that being the case. (I could be mistaken, was a while ago)

Kiki said Irish sockets can pull 3kW per socket (pretty much) in his post. That's definitely not true as Irish sockets are run on ring circuits. There could be up to 6* other sockets on that circuit and you're just adding 3 kW or whatever to the other loads plugged in.

*(pretty sure this is an arbitrary number, again I haven't worked in this field of EE for a long time. Even longer since I was a sparks)

Try running your kettle, hoover, electric cooker and a drill off the sockets in your kitchen and you'll see the result :)

It's about 20 years since I was a sparks. But I'm pretty sure they got rid of the ring ciruits for all radial. But yea most Irish houses would still be on ring unless the house is really old but I forget how they were wired.

It's not far off 20 for myself... Finished my time in 2009. Rought!

Hopefully we don't ever have to plug a 3 kw PC into any socket, or circuit or whatever in the future!

My Vega 56 is only rated for like 300 W and gets toasty enough!

• Advertisement

Most rings(assuming its not faulty) are on a 32 amp breaker, meaning in theory 7680 watts before it starts tripping the breaker, although I think the 80% rule comes into play. But rings are not that common these days. They still install them in the UK though.

Most radial house circuit's are on a 20 amp breaker, meaning 4800 watts before it starts tripping.

Our plugs are usually limited to 13 amps max, meaning they are designed to handle a max of 3120 watts sustained.

In reality, few devices are a straight pull of x watts. Kettles, hoovers, hair dryers, even heaters can pull up to their max but they don't do it sustained. Its really hard to blow a breaker in a modern house, you would have to get them all out and turn them all on at the same time. Fan assisted heaters and gaming/mining computers are about the two main things I could think of with sustained high wattage power draw.

Depending on the state, because America, power concerns and the videos are justified. The property's I am aware of had 15 amp breakers, with a limit of circa 1800 watts(I think its actually 1440W). So they tend to run a lot more circuit's then we would, as its not that difficult to pop a breaker there. If PC parts keep going this way, higher end PC's are going to need dedicated circuit's there.

Advertisement