Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OFFICIAL Buildup Thread - Leinster vs Stade Rochelais Champions Cup Final 28/05/2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

So you see rugby above GAA and soccer?

it’s precisely this attitude that shows why the people of Ireland will always have the latter two head and shoulders above rugby in terms of popularity , following and participation.

rugby is still viewed as elitist at times, the price of tickets to a six nations match or most Ireland games to be quite honest reflects this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I would say that rugby is a better game and that the fans at games are more respectful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They booed him for two minutes straight after he gave a decision in their favour. It's just pantomime at this stage, along with the ridiculous idea that there's an 'anglo-saxon conspiracy' against all French teams.

I think Leinster will find it hard to replace Sexton, but otherwise the squad overall is improving far more than declining.

People seem to be forgetting that Leinster were one late knock on away from a win, away, in France whilst notably underperforming.

I would not be remotely surprised if Leinster are competing in the final next year having well beaten every other team played on the way to the final.

As I said, a disappointing loss but overall an impressive season. Teams can have off days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

This 👆️

People forget how bloody hard it is to win the HC.

A 3 point defeat to a French team in the south of France in 28° heat where we didn't play our best. A try at 18-10 and it was all over. Just not to be.

La Rochelle's budget was €27.9M in 2021/2022 season.

Real Madrid just won their 1st UCL in 4 years; Barcelona haven't won it since 2015 and City, despite spending £2B GBP have yet to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'll admit I was a munster fan hoping ROG won but that comment takes the biscuit. Rugby a better game than hurling!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Well Sarries should be back in the tournament next season. The French teams are obviously better than the urc and the premiership teams. Leinster were the only urc side in the sf and the other 3 were French.

I think when the Bok sids are competing in this tournament, it will make it even tougher. Next season, I think Leinster will struggle no matter the draw. Sexton will be 37 soon and RB will probably not be good enough to hoist a European cup. Sexton is playing great stuff but, I think his decline will happen soon.

As a subsequent post has clarified, that's incorrect. Furthermore, it's pretty obvious to anyone with a brain in their head that the less money that the IRFU has in its coffers, the less money that it can distribute to the provinces. So an Irish team losing the final affects all of the provincial sides, not just Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I thought LAR were offside quite a bit but I’d like to be able to see VAR type imaging on offsides after a game to confirm and quantify how many were missed. Better again, it should be employed to detect and deter offsides during matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

35,000 turned up to welcome them home, not bad for a town with a pop of 75,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y_kN4arfwU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

No way Stan Wright can come out of retirement to solidify the scrum? He's only 43....

• I suppose Jack Dunne will be gone to Exeter so that might work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Watching the highlights there, the two penalties after halftime came about when we were attacking effectively. We let the pressure off each time by taking the kick. So unlike how we normally play. At that point, we had La Rochelle well contained defensively.

So frustrating to see how we let them into the game. Stupid penalty right from 2nd half kickoff. Gifts then an easy 3 pts, which was the difference between them winning and the game going to extra time in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hard lines Leinster fans, for whatever reason you never got your game going. I was reminded of the Tyson quote - 'everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face'. Leinster haven't really gotten punched in the face much this season with their first choice 15, until Saturday. I'm a bit surprised by those who think if Sexton had cleared that ball or Jimmy O'Brien hadn't knocked it out they'd have won - La Rochelle are a serious outfit (beaten finalists last year, going well in the Top14) who go the 80, they were coming at Leinster whether those things had happened or not. The errors didn't help but they came from La Rochelle pressure built up before that. There were some mad comments in the pre-match threads.

My read of it was La Rochelle caused havoc at the breakdown and they attacked midfield - did Lowe get on the ball much at all in the whole game? Once according to stats I saw, JOB got it twice. By contrast, La Rochelle's wingers got it 13 times between them. Methinks ROG did his homework.

I do think La Rochelle were the better side on the day even if they only took the lead at the death, which is a bit weird to say. 60-40 possession, three tries to none, a bigger threat in attack, won the sin bin period territory-wise to my eye and forced Leinster into making uncharacteristic errors (Keenan, JOB, Sexton in particular) throughout the match. Ross Byrne looked lost when he came on. Doris and Conan (three penalties conceded, did well in the lineout though I think?) were poor, JvdF was superb. I thought Ringrose fronted up well in defence also. JGP played pretty well too to my mind.

Leinster don't meet many teams who can match or better them physically but when they do they don't seem to have an answer at the top level, I do think there is merit to the 'being overpowered by bigger men' argument. This goes for all provinces really and Ireland. Munster took steps towards that by signing Snyman, I think if we actually saw him in a run of games he'd transform our pack and scrum. Coombes at 8 adds ballast also. Kleyn adds great bulk to our scrum and lineout maul, there's a difference when he's not there. For Ireland, I don't know if Beirne and Ryan are the best combo internationally, to me there's an argument for Henderson +1.

I know some Leinster posters were turning their nose up at Jenkins but he could be that hard b&stard needed in matches like this to stem the tide. I know CJ Stander got an awful time from some but he never stopped carrying over the 80 mins. It'll be interesting to see where Leinster go from here, they've a great crop of youngsters coming through but Sexton will surely be on the wane and I'm wondering about Leamy leaving - was he the breakdown coach and is this not a massive facet of Leinster's style - quick ball? Who's going to take over from him? You'd hope the experience of this match will galvanise the younger cohort.

I'm not going to get too much into the whole slagging debate - personally I was happy for ROG and Donnacha Ryan. It's a pity it was against an Irish side but if it was going to be against any of the four I'd hope it would be Leinster. I find it hard to believe Leinster fans would not have a certain amount of happiness if a side coached by Brian O'Driscoll with a Seán O'Brien forwards coach beat Munster. I think you can be pleased for an opponent for whatever reason without rubbing someone's nose in it. I was there in the stadia supporting Leinster in their first two HEC wins. Losing in the last minutes like that is a very tough one to take.

Still silverware to play for and Leinster are rightly favourites so all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Nonsense!! we're a modern sophisticated country, we'd don't need that 'little old ireland' attitude anymore.. we're mature enough to stand on our two feet and not care if anyone supports or not.

It's like back in the day 'oh you have to like U2 cause they're Irish' - bollocks to that I say🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So I watched the game right up to the 75 min then had to run out to the shops, fell and head my head and just woke up

Well done Leinster

5 stars at last

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Would it have been better for Leinster if they had conceded early in that onslaught and then had a chance to turn things around. I felt it was inevitable LAR would score. BOD made that point in commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Yes I think you are right. It's a real pity but I do think we will have to buy a monster or two at second row. We might also have to reassess just how good our front row is.

Not sure about a monster 2nd row! There's only a couple of monster 3nd rows that are top quality. Ethebeth is in my opinion, the best lock in the world. Big hard man. Skelton is great, a monstrous big man. Willemse is also very good and very big. But, after them 3 freaks of nature There's not many that size close to that level.

Leinster have a problem with Portrt being way off the mark at the scrum. There's no hiding the fact, that's he's been mediocre. If he gets it together then it will be a more solid pack. Bear in mind, that Aldritt is 264 lbs! Conan is about 245! That's a fairly big difference. Ross Molony is about 17 stone. He said himself that he is107 kgs. That's too light for this type of opponent.

Coming up theres Deeny, 114 kgs and Ryan, 116 kgs. Then Jenkins and McCarthy. Size won't be an issue. Porter scrummaging might be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

My issue with the whole size argument is we both the Irish provinces and Ireland seem to get monstered worse than anyone when we come up against big packs, like you don't see Wales or Scotland get beaten as badly despite the fact when we play these teams we tend to have the upper hand. When I look at that and then look at how much we as a country obsess about our players size, far more than I see people on forms in other countries talk about (including Scotland & Wales). This all leads me to believe do we just have some sort of defeatist mindset once we come up against a big pack that we cant overcome them and therefore get monstered as a result, I mean when you are getting monstered by 7 man English pack which isnt filled with monster like SA or France have then there needs to be serious questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

To be fair, we didn't get monstered around the park in that England game. All of our difficulties in that game, bar our scrum, were of our own making. Our scrum did get monstered, but our scrum gets monstered by everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Happy for ROG and Ryan.

Gloating at Leinster's loss is very beta.

But the "you must support Irish teams" energy gives me the creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Nermal

I thought that too. Reminiscent of Superbowl XLVI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Except you have to win the restart in rugby, which on the day seemed like it would have been a 50-50 for Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I really don't buy the argument we were monstered. Our defense stifled them for the majority of the game, and we resourced rucks well. We still had quick ball. We wouldn't have defended successfully for 10 straight minutes in the 22 otherwise, and we had frequently driven them back in defense. They had one in the first half that started deep in the 22 and ended up on half way.

The scrum issues are largely down to Porter's poor technique, as has been said. I'm confident he'll be improved come WC time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

It didnt though? Only against England & France. Against Wales & Scotland our scrum went well yet when these teams played England they performed far better than we did, its a pattern and makes me think is there more to our scrum getting beat than just size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Overall, I'm a bit confused by a lot of the negativity.

Leinster were not at 100% due to a LAR playing well with good tactics. And yet, we're 2 scores ahead going into last quarter and only lost to last play of the game?

There is any number of sliding door moments in that last 20 that needed just one to go the other way. E.g. dulans drop goal doesnt viciously bounce back, keenan stays infield, LaR fumble at some stage (not on advantage) in that last 8 mins etc etc.

That is really not a disastarously bad performance in an away game in France

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the negativity is in the context of this being 2 years in a row Leinster have been beaten by La Rochelle, and it's the 3rd time since their last euro win that Leinster have been beaten by a team with a similar toolkit.

You can also add on to this that the Leinster pack is basically the Ireland pack, and we have seen Ireland come unstuck in similar circumstances in recent seasons.

Which is to say, you cannot entirely put it down to being just unlucky on the day, and there is definitely an underlying issue in Leinster that has not yet been addressed.

• Advertisement

Of course he does. When you see the word “tribalism” or any of its variants used you know what you’re dealing with. The rugby crowd in Ireland is made up of those who like the game (most of us) and those who see it as a class based west Brit type of thing (a dying breed I would have thought but maybe new recruits coming in again). GAA and soccer are far more egalitarian.

Advertisement