Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of town

Options
  • 30-05-2022 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or is it filthier than it's ever been? Smell of p*ss when you walk up Shop St. Bird shït and rubbish all over the streets. Place needs a good power-washing. I'm embarrassed that this is what's greeting the tourists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Totally agree. Was in town yesterday and really noticed how filthy the streets are. Shop Street often stinks of drains, especially around Eason and McDonalds. There was a drain/sewer overflowing into the street further up the town. Bins full. The Council street cleaning lorries should be out every morning - there is no way they had been out and bins need emptying way more often. I can't imagine tourists are impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Was up there recently with foreign in laws and couldn't believe how dirty and rundown it was, embarrassing stuff. Very rough element about at night time too. Won't be bringing any foreigners to Galway again unfortunately, not the city center anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But who is causing all this? Oh yeah, us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Shop St, High St and Cross St could all do with a blast of a powerwasher for sure. Noticed Shop St being particularly filthy yesterday as I walked up. The grime in and around some of the shop fronts is also disgusting, coming from the pissing, puking and God knows what else you'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We keep our village clean ourselves, no council to do it for us.

Townies can do the same, clean around the area where you live, if everyone chipped in and did their bit its amazing the difference it makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ThePentagon

"Shop Street often stinks of drains, especially around Eason and McDonalds."

There was a horrible sewage-type smell lingering outside Boots for years. I imagine it was a ruptured pipe or something just below street level. Don't know if it's still there but rotten smells are not a recent phenomenon on our main shopping street.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ThePentagon

I was in Innsbruck, Austria a few years ago with my sister. It was nice pleasant quiet Sunday afternoon and we were sitting on a bench on the main shopping street in the town (Maria-Theresien Strasse it's called according to Google maps) when a handful of youths walked our way.

Just before they passed us one of them broke from the group, stepped onto the middle of the road, and picked up a sweet wrapper or some other piece of litter that someone had discarded. He then dropped it in the nearest bin and the group moved along on their way.

Bear in mind this lad was about 15 or 16 and it wasn't even his rubbish. It underlined to us why towns in that part of Europe are so damn impeccable. I have no doubt that they have well-funded and highly organised civic services but I couldn't help but conclude at the time that they also have a sense of pride and collective responsibility that Irish folk don't have (or at least those living in cities).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your village doesn't have hoardes of people from every other village in the county, plus lots of overseas places, coming to play, piss and puke in the street every day. But you still expect the few of us who live here to go out and clean up after you. Every single day. Fcuk off.

Businesses pay rates to the council, who use them to clean up the damage inflicted by their customers.

Town is no grottier now than ever. The council lads ARE out every single morning, and there are rubbish bin crews doing bin-emptying multiple times during the day, on Shop/High/Quay Streets at least.

We've not had as many days of heavy rainfall lately, so there is a level of built up grime which will disappear once rainy season starts (generally just after the leaving cert exams end :) )

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Not to mention some of the fighting that emerged on video over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

This is the town people want. When areas are pedestrianised, it's predictable that they are in a state of filth. If you let people roam all around drunk at night what's to be expected?

You would want to learn some manners, I don't like being told to f off.

Don't bother replying because I have no interest in any further discussion with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Is it only now people are realising how dirty Galway is, it's like that since I was in college over 20 years ago, the Council are next to useless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Council workers on the frontline (the actual cleaners), are doing as much as they can. There are only so many cleaners to go around. Yet, Woodquay and down the West is again pedestrianised which only serves to draw people who would be inside pubs and restaurants out onto the street, bringing their rubbish with them. Great for the business owners who don't have to clean up after the mess their customers leave. Crap for residents and everyone else who isn't making the mess, yet have to live with the pissing, puking, noise etc.

I just can't understand why anyone thinks that Galway's centre is better than it was before it was pedestrianised. It used to be a commercial centre. Now it's a place to wander, have a coffee and buy a phone or a book during the day; that's it. During the evening, it's just a party venue for self-centred idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

With all due respects, there's a large difference between a village with a couple of hundred people in it, and the fourth biggest city in the country!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It has been this way for a few years. Usually gets worse in May and June and then miraculously a bit cleaner before the Galway Races then goes to shite again.

Was I saying a few people would be doing the whole city?!

What I did say was everyone keeping an eye on the area where they live.

And out here we also have to deal with illegal dumping especially this time of year, the county council doesn't want to know about that either so it also falls on us to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

You know what, just forget it, keep whinging do nothing and leave it looking like a tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/concern-ball-has-been-dropped-in-galway-city-centres-appearance-as-tourism-season-begins/

"A local guesthouse owner has raised concerns over the appearance of the city centre as the hospitality sector prepares to welcome hundreds of visitors over the summer season.

Liam O’Reilly, a guest house owner in Merlin Park, says he is now receiving regular feedback from guests on the dirty appearance of the city centre at popular streets for tourism."

And there we go. Embarrassing. And waiting for the rain to wash away the dirt and grime sounds like a very Irish solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Someone is being most undiplomatic

Beer and urine-stained footpaths; overflowing and stinking bins; and unkempt local authority-owned equipment were all colliding to create ‘a very bad look’, “The fact is the city is absolutely filthy – even the bins are manky. The Council has dropped the ball and as a result, the overall look of the place is grubby,”

You can add in the army of Roma beggers covering every corner of the city centre and beyond, draining money out of the country and making the place look like a medieval kip... But they won't do anything about that or it would be racist in this social media driven agenda age.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The Roma beggars are only there because so many 'fools' give them money.

Garda moving Roma beggars today, making them get up and leave

Laws would need to be changed to deal with it fully.

Make it illegal again and just enforce it on them to make them leave the city. Arrest and seizing their money would go a long way to making them move off.

How anyone gives them money is beyond me.. the saying "A fool and his money are easily parted" has never been more apt.

As much as I hate local beggers at least the money isn't drained out of the economy or the added dimension of them making the town look like a kip to tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

People should refrain from linking Galway Beo, it's the lowest common denominator when it comes to 'news'. Absolute tabloid waffle. The stuff in that "article" was woeful.

Advertisement