Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

enjoy sitting in traffic in galway for a good hour too

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I have a feeling the boys will pull out a big performance on Saturday. Not sure why I have that feeling but I do. It might be the "every second game" nature of our performances in recent years. The Wexford performance was a disaster. There was so much anger and giving out about the Wexford game that we simply have to see much better on Saturday. It's almost human nature. I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I hope you're right. There's more than a little bit of trepidation around at the minute. We all know we are capable of so much more than we offered v Wexford but its about showing it now and from here on in. That's the Hope with a capital H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Galway are Galway. They will give Kilkenny every chance to beat them. They have a poor goalie. They gave us 2/3 soft goals in Salthill.

Players such as Paddy Deegan need to improve drastically, poor in any big match this year, hitting away aimless ball, hand passing over the line and to opposition players need to stop. He had an awful day in Croke Park 2 years on Stephen Bennett v Waterford and I dont know has he ever recovered from that.

Post edited by Village87 on

they dont exactly need a master tactician to figure out what to expect from Kilkenny, will they play a sweeper though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Herrity, Fennelly, Dowling and Lyng??

Herrity is with Kildare(after getting relegated last year from J Mc. Back up this year)

Fennelly ....I really don't know but Offaly seemed to regress this year.

Dowling is well got in the camogie setup but would surely be too big a step up from where he is??

Lyng is my favorite for the job if only because I think Cody will have a massive say on who replaces him and the Lyng/Barry combination would see him leave with a smile on his face.

Just my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Lyng and Barry have probably jumped up the pecking order.Eddie has had mixed success but is rated as a good coach. We desperately need a modern coach but if he's not going to be listened to there's probably no point.

I'd also expect a much better performance Saturday evening and I wouldn't be suprised if we won. There's probably more pressure on galway but if we lose it will be our 3rd defeat in this championship and its hard to justify our place in a quarter final. We'd have a better chance against galway then cork. Galway should set up traditional with their half forwards out around midfield.Monaghan and joe cooney went to town the last day and are hurling well.We can't just leave them free like the last day. We need to try stretch gmac and daithi Burke and not make all stars out of them like the last day and lump every ball on top of them.Hopefully things have being worked on I training. I heard huw should be back so hopefully he will.The team that will be picked Friday will be different to the one Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Cody should have absolutely no say in picking the next manager.

In all team sports, allowing a long term iconic manager/coach (even hugely successful ones) to hand pick their successors has usually been a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think it's fair to say lyng has earned his shot at the top job, but definitely agree with this, he should be picked because he makes the best case for himself not because Cody ordains him.

I give us every chance at the weekend, as someone said above a Hallmark of us over the last number of years has been a tendency towards inconsistency, bad games followed by good ones and vice versa. Would love a win, think a quarter final coming in with the record we've had in the provincials would be a little embarrassing tbh. We need to prove ourselves big time, for team confidence if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lyng has come up in my estimation. The way he set up his team was immense.

Cody better change tatics for this game or else it's knives.

Shef has the upper hand if Cody goes conventional his finished. If Cody changes tact he needs his team not to spill ball after being trained convention for so long. It's a hard ask into the championship to change but there's no better manager to alter if he wants to. It's up to him.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Lyng and co for winning the u20 with a modern approach to hurling but the competition is a shambles. Kilkennny won all 3 games by 1 point(which is great). All 3 teams were missing there best player and for Galway players. It really takes the gloss off the competition that the best players were absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I'm not so sure about any of that. We won that title fair and square and I personally enjoyed watching them young players winning those tight games - you couldn't ask for a better learning experience. That some teams were missing some players was no fault of ours and Cathal O'Neill aside, I doubt any of them would have made much difference anyway. In fact I suggest it was a lack of foresight or strategy from both their senior management teams and or county boards - perhaps ours should be applauded for our policy.

I would prefer to see Lyng and his team to remain with this bunch considering most are underage next year and let them properly physicly develop at their own pace and not copy what Limerick are doing. Long term gain for a little short term pain if you like.

You have spent a lot of time on here complaining and whinging about the lack of underage success in recent years. So as soon as you win one your first action is to try to diminish it. Do you get any pleasure or fun at all from following hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

That is very disrespectful in my view also, against Galway no matter who they had on field that day KK weren't given a prayer, absolutely grinded that result out infairness with Shine going off injured adding to that.

As therealdonster said you are long enough the last few years slating certain players to be cast aside but when it's put to you about replacements answers are never found.

In my view I would think Lyng should stay with the u20s for another year or 2 especially with a lot underage over the next 2 years, plenty of names to look at when the senior Job arises (Hopefully after this year irregardless of what happens this weekend) but with Shefflin currently out West hard to know who you'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

We were missing potentially our best player as well. Jaysus some people are never happy!

wouldn't be getting so hung up on the results underage, there's a few good players on the team that will hopefully keep developing and make it to senior, is that not the aim here. Needs a round robin to give more players the opportunity to play

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I'd say if you won 5 million in the lotto you would be pissed off because it was 7 million the previous week..it was Kilkenny’s first win at that grade for years and very hard fought ..maybe try and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kilkenny beat Galway in Pearse Stadium in 2012 in the final of the Walsh Cup... I can remember that because I was at it 😃

Look it is great to win as I stated playing with a modern approach. But its ridiculous that counties cannot field there strongest team. Lets say Kilkenny had Drennan and Clifford unavailable and had to play Limerick with Cathal O'Neill, Wexford with Oisin Pepper and Galway with Gavin Lee and Tiernan Killeen all available it would change things. The competition is very hard to gauge as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Can you just enjoy the win and stop the nonsense? Are you even aware that Kilkenny Under 20s were missing three, if not more, through injury? I let you come up with the names. Galway were a team full of talent so would have had replacements for any missing. Limerick were coming with all guns blazing, a replica of the seniors, and were fairly beaten too. The way our under 20s played this year, with heart, skill and never say die attitude, was always going to make them hard to beat.

Give it time and you'll get over our win!

Post edited by Grats on

Would gladly take a win on Saturday no matter how many Galway players are missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

Well said...obviously it's not the fault of the KK young lads, but what a farce that seniors are ruled out.

Fair play Village87 - most insightful poster here -, you've never been afraid to stick your head above the parapet. It's interesting that all the Cody cheerleaders and county board sycophants that abused you in the past have now turned 180 degrees to agree with you...

A few home truths on the U20s has them spitting out the tea again...

I think there is truth in both sides here. None of us, Village87 included, would begrudge the U20s their victory at all. Its the 1st all Ireland we have had in years and we won it by playing in a manner that we don't necessarily play at senior level and it give us some hope for the immediate future which we badly needed. The other side of the coin is if you were looking at this objectively its hard on U20 players from whatever county they are from to be penalised for being good enough to play senior intercounty and not allowed play at their own age level. It is a crock of shite but those are the rues and we are deserved U20 all Ireland winners. Lets move on.

Yeah thanks for clearing that. In no way shape or form was I knocking players or management, great to win 3 championship matches in the fashion they did. They won playing a modern game of trying to run the ball through the lines and also go long when the option was available, the mix and match allowed Drennan the chance to be one on one when the opportunity allowed itself . Any negativity I have is towards the competition structure, crazy that teams cannot field the best team available, all the players missing against Kilkenny are getting very little game time with the seniors, Cathal O'Neill included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

How many of the Kilkenny midfielders and forwards would get into the Galway team? 1 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Doesn't always work like that in the sense of predicting a result. Kilkenny people would probably have believed the opposite was the case before the 2012 Leinster final and that was awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Have to agree. The competition has been devalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I understand where the GAA are coming from. Burn out is a serious issue IMO. I also understand Village that the competition is undermined by some players being excluded as they are with the seniors. IMO the Minor and U20 should be the same structure as the seniors and players can only play 1 competition.

U18 was the best underage competition the GAA ever had. In theory it should be working at its best now that nearly all students do the leaving cert at the u19 age. U19 intercounty is a non runner due to the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Galway are no great shakes (the match with Dublin in Salthill was meant to have been awful) I'd take Whelan and Mannion from their options 8-15, rest are a bit hot and cold, same as us.

Henry trying 18 year old Gavin Leee tells you he thinks roughly the same (if he had an abundance of talent 8-15 he would have left Lee with U20s). It looks to me as if Henry might have mis-timed this a bit, the good young lads (Mc Donagh, Lee, Collins etc) aren't ready so he's having to go back to 2017 team with a few more that have been hot and cold (Niland, Concannon, Glennon, Flynn) last 3-4 years.

In fact I see a scenario we will win and imagine we are world beaters, but get hosed in semi.

btw

I doubt there is a single person in Galway that wouldnt have Richie Hogan in their panel if he was fit and available.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Advertisement

I also see a scenario where we will win but under no circumstances would i see it that we are world beaters. If we beat Galway there will be positives to be taken from it and we need to progress from that. If we don't then its an uphill struggle. Hopefully the former will be the case.

Advertisement