Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Los Cafeteros

Hi all- thanks @Laineyfrecks for setting this up! Long term lurker flushed out of hiding here.

• How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Got into running just before the pandemic struck. A work based lunchtime run club with RCSI(courtesy of @Wottle ) sucked me in and made me realise every run didn't have to be a 5k PB attempt. Probably a blessing in disguise not to have an opportunity to do DCM before now as it gave me a chance to build slowly and be consistent before aiming for a marathon.

Currently running 4 days a week- between 35-40km. Joined a club in last few months and do an interval session with them midweek. Love a good parkrun. Cyle to work- typically about 50k per week.

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Fastest time at parkrun was 20:15 and hoping to 'break 20' in the Docklands 5k in June. Ran a very chilly Paris Half Marathon in March in 1:36:xx with an 'al fresco' wee stop in the parc de vincennes. Also ran the connemarathon half in glorious sunshine this year.

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

A cliche but I would be happy to make the start line after preparing well and enjoying the training process. The race will take care of itself then(hopefully). Time wise 3:30 seems like a big, round and slightly arbitary number. Alot of moving parts in a first marathon so a process rather than outcome goal seems wise.

• How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Realistically 5 days a week. Have quite a demanding job with alot of 'on call' time so a fixed routine can be difficult. This is balanced with no major family commitments at the minute. Don't have a plan yet so will take a look at the boards one and get advice from club members too.

• What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Biggest fear would have to be injury as the training load increases that stops me from running. Slightly worried the rigidness of a plan might detract from the joy+ spontaneity of getting out for a run too.

• Why are you running this marathon?

Similar to @MisterJinx because I like running! The gravitational pull of a marathon once you get into running is impossible to resist. Have lived in Dublin on and off for the last 12 years so alot of memories around the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Welcome aboard MisterJinx.

You seem to be tuning up nicely and have a solid base prior to your first Marathon block. The added cycling commute is a great compliment to the running. Nice moving in Bohermeen - fan of that course.

I think with the likes of gels and nutrition, there is plenty of time to test a few different things on this front. As I'm sure you know, It is not a one size fits all area.

I'd have one concern. You mention your back has been a weak point and your time based plan brings you up to an 8 hour peak week. Looking at your background, you are not a complete novice in terms of running, but an 8 hour week seems too much for your first marathon especially with the cumulative fatigue the body will be feeling by that stage.

Best of luck with the journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Thanks @Lambay island I'll absolutely keep that in mind. I was looking at the plan there this afternoon and there are 2 x 22 miles and 2x18 miles in the plan but these are time limited to 3.30 and 2.45 hours respectively. When looking at those particular runs they did seem a little heavy to me. I had seen some debate previously about going past 2.30 hours so perhaps it's one for discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Welcome to the Thread Pinoy adventure. Would you mind answering the questions at the start of the thread so that we can find out more you & your running? Once we have the answers we will do our best to help you choose the best plan suited for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to have you join us, Masch8933. The 80/20 approach is a good one - I've used some of their schedules myself for 5k training, so if you can dedicate the required time to the plan you should find yourself in good shape. I think if you can train through a hot summer you'll have an advantage when you get to the cooler climate of Dublin in Oct - although we do have the odd hot marathon day.

It's up to you of course, but you might at least consider the Boards plan as an alternative - 80/20 has some tough, tough sessions, and it's important to have a good handle on your heart rate data - assume you have reliable info on your max/min and LT if you've used the plan successfully previously? The boards plan might be a viable alternative as we can help with explaining suitable effort levels and you'd have the advantage of being able to compare experiences directly with others? Something to think about but ultimately your call.

It's good that you're aware of the advantages of weight loss etc but that should all happen with good choices over the next 4-5 months.

Welcome aboard!

• Advertisement

Very welcome to the Thread Masch8933. Running in that heat will definitely stand to you running Dublin in October. Getting injured is part and parcel of running, but sensible training should ensure that you are minimizing the risk of injury. We'll have specific pre and post-run nutrition advice as we go along, but for now, just keep it sensible. More fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc., and less processed food and junk food. Eating better will give you more energy for your runs, and help your recovery afterwards.

I did my 1st Dublin Marathon as part of my bucket list & 3 years later I'm hooked!! Great motivation too trying to beat your OH's time!

Very best of luck with your journey.

Welcome aboard turfman1. Your PB times are very similar to mine when I started training for DCM 2019. I think a sub 4 time is achievable with sensible training but don't worry about that just now. Good to see the cycling too as it compliments your running. Have you decided which plan you are going to follow? I think the Boards Plan would be a good choice for you.

Very best of luck with your journey!

Welcome to the Thread Los Cafeteros. You have a solid base which is great going into your 1st marathon. I was very similar to you when I 1st started running, ran too hard on every run thinking I had to beat the time the day before, thankfully I found Boards & learnt the right way. Nice to see the cycling here too. I think the Boards plan would suit you very well, I know you are saying a fixed routine can be hard but it really is about picking a plan, committing to it & fitting the runs in where necessary but I also know things will inevitably pop up, as is life but we can deal with those little changes as needed. Injury unfortunately is part of running but following one of the sensible plans here should limit this risk. I can see why you might feel the rigidness of a plan may detract from the joy & spontaneity of a run but for me it was the making of me & made me a better runner. Following a plan gives you the consistency you need to run a marathon so instead of thinking it will take away from the joy take the positives from it, the sense of achievement as you tick the daily runs off, then the weeks, then the months, it's such a great feeling. There will be some hard days too of course, days you just don't want to run but to me if it was based on joy & spontaneity it would be extremely easy to skip those runs, whereas if you have a plan you are more accountable.

Yes I have to agree, once you start running the question from a lot of other runners is, so when's your 1st Marathon?

Very best of luck with your Docklands 5k & of course with your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

Thank you for all the feedback, I love a good structured plan and I have the 80/20 on training peaks so I intend to try and go with it, my plan starts the same time as the boards plan however so if needs be I can switch over.

As most Irish people I am not built for heat but yeah hopefully it will stand to me come October.

Nutrition will be a big thing for me, as I want to get the weight down

And then there is always the endless internet searching for which shoes will i buy next for my running problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

@Laineyfrecks

here you go.

1- how much training do you do - 30/40miles a week every week.

2-have you raced before- yes have done Dublin 5 times now with a total of 15marathons all round the country under my belt.

3-what do you want too achieve- finish the marathon in a decent time UN INJURED.

4-how many days a week do you train -3/4 most weeks.

5-biggest worry about signing up - the cost (lol),it’s becoming more expensive as one can get nearly 4 marathons for the price of 1 at its current price.

6-why are you running this marathon- I’m using it as a training run as part of a bigger goal for next year(2moro begins a solid 11months of a training block for June 23).

• Advertisement

Hi Pinoy adventure.

You have plenty of experience anyway and already have a good base too.

I can't help but notice you have put uninjured in caps. Is it the case you have been injured recently and making a comeback to running or running marathons perhaps?

Would you be considering doing the boards plan or do you have something else figured out with next year's goals in mind?

No thankfully no injuries (some say I run too slow too pick them but,but all runners are great at picking them up).

as an old timer I don’t really follow plans but would like too improve my overall marathon time (just a couple of mins would be ideal )but it really depends on the day tbh.

next years goal will be loads & loads of slow miles over multiple hours so marathons will be part of the training blocks,and we were just joking amount ourself that we have too train for training runs.

@Lambay island

ive just looked at the boards plan and I don’t think I’ll follow it.

it does look great though.

maybe a 2nd 20miler as sometimes only 1 can go pear shaped.

I’ll be following sumthing like this

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Enjoy the adventure novices

If it’s ok to offer a bit of advice,imo,rest and recovery is as important if not more important than any training run you will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Best of luck every one - you'll be in safe hands with the team. Great to see this thread back up.

Remember.... Trust the Process. And for the love of god... slow down!

Fair play to the mentors, thanks for your time and dedication in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

Hi all, Special thanks to @Laineyfrecks for setting this up

Throwing my hat in the ring mainly to keep me honest. Been running for roughly 5 years and like a lot of people 2020 was planned to be my first marathon, although looking back at it now it would have been too soon. At the moment I'm trying to get back into training as I had to take most of April off with a virus (not Covid) April I did a total of 32k, where before that my average was over 150k a month. In May I did 130k but the first couple of weeks were defiantly still a hangover from the virus, the last 2 weeks have felt 'normal'. I have chatted to my Dr. about the training and he said I should be fine, but it may take time to fully recover from the virus.

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
      • 5k - 5/12/21 - local 5k - 22:36
      • 10k - 19/06/21 - 49:30
      • 10 mile - 6/2/22 Trim 10 miler - 1:20:46
      • 1/2 Marathon - 11/09/21 - 1:54:47
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
      • Recently yes, but prior to April very rarely
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
      • I try to do 4/5 days a week of running, max is normally 50ish km a week. No other cross training.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
      • After the Trim 10 miler I had hoped to break 1:50 in the Limerick half marathon and then do something around a 4:00 - 4:15. But after the virus I'm now aiming to do it under 4:28 ( to beat my brother in law)
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
      • I should be able to do 5 days a week, only issue is that like @Los Cafeteros I'll be doing on call, mine will be roughly ever 6 weeks so will need to work around that. I've also a 6 month old who will defiantly try to scupper some planned runs.
      • As for training plan right now I'm planning on doing the Boards plan, I'm doing the first 3 weeks of the 2019 one at the moment just to get some base under me again.
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
      • Biggest fear is the training, I've done 12 week training for a half and nearing the end it always feels like a drag so hopefully doing this with others will help (one of the reasons I'm joining this thread. )
    • Why are you running this marathon?
      • Just made sense for it to be my first.

Hi l3m0n5, welcome to the group.

That's an interesting backstory, and having 5 years of running under your belt before attempting a marathon is a very good thing that should stand to you as your body will be better conditioned than others - certainly better than mine when I made my own debut - for the task at hand.

With that base, and a good history of racing, you should thrive with the Boards plan. Your race times suggest you are better conditioned for the shorter stuff so we'll be keeping a close eye on you (but not just you 😁) to make sure you're choosing appropriate paces for the various sessions on the plan - essential for developing the marathon conditioning that should see you make that goal, and then some.

Good that you have a plan for the next few weeks - doing the first three weeks of the plan isn't a bad idea, but don't get too caught up on the details of the sessions yet, it's more important to just build the mileage, especially with the recent illness-related break.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Welcome to the thread I3m0n5. I would have to agree with D, having 5 years of running previously is a really good start for running your 1st marathon. Good to see you have target times & are willing to adjust accordingly but we won't worry about that for now. I would also agree that the main thing for now would be building up your mileage especially after the illness(glad to hear you are better) Hopefully being on call doesn't affect your plan too much, it's about trying to find the right balance for everything. I did the Boards plan for my 1st marathon & loved the structure & consistency it gave me. The improvements week after week were a great confidence booster.

Very best of luck with your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eatmydust

Hi, long time lurker here. I have got huge enjoyment and knowledge from reading this forum over the past few years and am excited now to become part of this thread. I previously ran DCM in 2009 in a time of 4 hrs 15 mins quite comfortably at the time. Life then got in the way and running took a back seat. Roll on 13 years later (now the wrong side of 45!) and 3 kids and here I am ready to face it again! I took up running about 3 years ago again just for fitness and "me time" - eased myself into it with a few short runs a week. When the 1st lockdown started 2 years ago and I began working from home I ramped up my running to combat the lack of commute / exercise and for sanity! I am now at the point where over the past year I have averaged running 5 days a week covering 50-60km. I run by feel - some faster days, some long slower days - but don't follow any specific structured plan yet.

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Having not raced in 13 years I ran a parkrun last week to see where I was at and came in bang on 24 mins. I was tired but didn't feel like I had completely emptied the tank!
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? Sometimes yes, sometimes no (mostly no!)
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. Approx 5 days a week covering 50-60km
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? To complete it would be great! Beating my last time would be even better!
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I can train 5-6 days and I haven't decided on a plan yet.
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Nothing really!
    • Why are you running this marathon? To prove that this old lady still has it!

Thanks!

Very welcome to the Thread Eatmydust(love the name) You have a really good base & currently running the days required for both plans so that's a great start. Well done on the parkrun, it's a good marker for you with no current races to go by. With sensible training I have no doubt you will complete it, we can look more at goal times as the plan goes on. I think the Boards Plan would be good for you, I used it for my 1st marathon & it was my 1st time following a structured plan & I loved it. Have a look over the 2 plans & then see which would also suit your lifestyle best.

Less of the old lady stuff, sure age is only a number😉

Very best of luck on your journey!

• Advertisement

Loving the apt username..

I can't help but admire your attitude.

You have built yourself a solid base over the last year. Keep doing what your doing over the next few weeks. Maybe if you get a chance, you could attempt another park run(not essential) and we will be able to get a good indication of your paces for the marathon plan and will also get yourself more familiar with a race type scenario again.

Good to have you on board here.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

While there is still a few weeks before the structured plans kick-in, I would love some advise on my current approach and adapting to a plan such as Hal Higdon's Novice 2 (likely).

Background: Ran only marathon in 2008. Have been pretty active for past 18 months but since start of this year I'm running on average 45km/week. Also refereeing soccer matches of all ages (mostly adults at this time of year) - will likely be 2 a week in addition to running. I cover about 9k on those and they are either on rest days (after LSR) or same day as 10k.

My goal is to run DCM <4hours, so a pace of 5.41 min/km.

I am running 10km at a pace about 5:10-5:40 depending on how I feel and how rested I am.

Longest run from 2 weeks ago is 24km, but typically it's a 20km per week. Pace is typically 6:10 min/km, but has been as quick as 5:40 on some runs in past.

Current plan is to do three 10km/week and one 20km Run for the next few weeks.... or so...?

What I don't know is whether I should keep up this type of routine until I get to maybe week 6 or 7 of Hal's plan. I'd rather not cut back on my current mileage to match week 1 of the plan.

The other problem I have is I don't do specific speed sessions - it's always 10k's and a LSR. Pace changes, but not by much.

Any opinions/feedback on my approach.

Ultimately, I'd like to give the Connamarathon Ultra a go next year, but not sure I had the time to train with the refereeing (which will significantly increase later this year).

TIA.

Ref - the con ultra is a lovely run,however it’s fairly hilly so give the hills training runs a decent amount of time.

btw -it’s open now with an early bird sign up fee.

im doing it myself as one of my last long runs next year

Hi TheRef

You are certainly not a ref that idles around the centre circle 😉. 9k seems like a good return for a match and I think your are right to have them as rest days or easy running days. 10km runs on those days, I would say should be the very max and ensure its done as easy as possible if you do get up to that length.

When you say you are running the 10ks at 5.10-5.40 pace. Do you mean all the 10kms you are doing?

If that is the case, you are running these too fast if your current goal time is sub 4 (5.41 min/km). You are risking leaving your marathon behind you in training. The link with the calculator below gives a good idea of pacing.

https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

I'm not overly familiar with the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan, but I'd imagine its a step up from novice 1 with extra milage and possibly a bit of speed?

Would you consider the Boards plan? You wouldn't really need to reduce milage going into that and it incorporates a midweek run with marathon pace and strides. You would also be able to swap out your reffing days with easier shorter days etc plus you could converse with others as the weeks go by. Worth having at think about it anyway.

You have a built up a base and your current plan of 4 runs a week including a long one is good for the moment. It could be worth altering the 10ks a bit , maybe shortening some days and lengthening others. It could become a bit stale for your legs just keeping it so rigid.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Ah great to see this thread back up and running, things are really starting to go back to normal.

Congrats Lainey on taking up the mantle, a great choice as mentor and you're already off to a flyer with your 2 captain's picks!

Enjoy the journey everyone, you are in safe hands. Trust the process even though some of it may seem counter intuitive and don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be a slave to a goal time, just enjoy the ride because you only get to run your first marathon once. Trust me, the vast majority of you will be smashing you time in DCM 2023 (sounds crazy but i guarantee you'll get the bug after experiencing the atmosphere come race day).

Will be following this thread with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

Thanks for the feedback. I've read it a few times and trying to digest it.

My 10k's are all in the range of 51min-56min - never slower and could get below 50min if I really wanted to, and was rested. This makes me think I could aim for a sub 3:50 marathon.

Can you explain what you mean by "You are risking leaving your marathon behind you in training"?

I have looked at the boards plan and may very well adapt my own circumstances to it. Will give is some thought over the next couple of weeks.

Also, when you say "It could become a bit stale for your legs just keeping it so rigid", can you explain? Do you mean my legs would just get used to the 10k's and they won't physically improve as much as mixing it up with different types of runs? Or, do you mean I risk becoming mentally stale and just get a bit fed up with the same 'ol same 'ol?

And thanks a mil for your feedback.

It’s important to distinguish between race pace and various (mostly slower) training paces.

How do you feel during these 10k runs? Do they feel easy - like you could easily do another 10-15k at the same pace without getting into any difficulty? In other words, are they truly easy runs?

If you went out and raced 10k, what time do you think you’d run? Or maybe you could go and run a parkrun at full tilt and get a 5k time that you could then use to choose appropriate training paces off. Typically, marathon race pace would be around 10-15% slower than 10k race pace for a reasonably well trained marathon runner.

But the main thing for now is keep it simple, plenty of truly easy running, building your endurance for longer distances.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Murph_D covered the main point well above.

In regards to this part, good question.. "Also, when you say "It could become a bit stale for your legs just keeping it so rigid", can you explain? Do you mean my legs would just get used to the 10k's and they won't physically improve as much as mixing it up with different types of runs? Or, do you mean I risk becoming mentally stale and just get a bit fed up with the same 'ol same 'ol?"

Reading back on that part I may have mingled the physical and mental side. I do however mean both. Its more of a personal thing when it comes to the mental side. I tend to mix the distances/routes up slightly for that exact reason "same 'ol same 'ol"

On the physcial side, yes to a degree with the legs getting used to it and potentially limiting your improvement. As an example, we all have different things going on in our life's, with work , family, reffing in your case, etc. There are going to be days when you a drained due to this. In these situations rather than resent the 10km or the thoughts of it, reduce it to 8k perhaps. On the next day, when your feeling good, no harm increasing it a 1km or 2 km once it remains easy. You are still covering the same distance overall, but you are allowing your body to dictate to you rather than an arbitrary number. Just don't go altering the Long run 😀

I see the aim as mentors is to help in this order.

1. Folk enjoy the process

2. People are happy after completing their marathon

3. Running is continued in the aftermath

Very welcome to the thread TheRef. Great advice given by both mentors there, hopefully giving you food for thought.

Lambay island has it spot on as to what our roles are as mentors!

Very best of luck with your journey 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Room for one more? 🙂

First of all, a massive thank you in advance to Laneyfrecks, Murph_D and Lambay Island for the enormous amount of time and energy they will selflessly dedicate to this group. I have been hanging around this forum for several years and I'm always amazed by how much people are willing to share and contribute to help others enjoy and improve their running.

A bit of background: I entered the M50 ranks this year (I still need to pause and take this in every time I say it) and I've been a casual runner since 2016; I've raced multiple distances, including 3 half marathons, but this will be my first marathon. In early 2016 I signed up for the Great Ireland Run on a whim, caught the running bug and kept going a bit on and off for a couple of years. Around mid 2018 I signed up for my first half and started to ramp things up a little, averaging 80 miles/month for the second half of the year. Carried the momentum into 2019 (when I set all my PBs and peaked at 1200 miles for the year) and into the first half of 2020. After that summer my running fell off a cliff and became very irregular during 2021 (a measly 400-odd miles in total) but since the start of this year I've been trying to regain some form of consistency. I entered this year's DCM ballot expecting there would be very few places left and was really surprised to be offered a place, which then seemed silly not to take up, so I signed up probably without realising what I was getting myself into.

I have a pretentiously titled log that covers the 2018-2020 period but has been sitting unloved for the last couple of years. I should really dust it off to record this next chapter in the running journey: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057899148/chronicle-of-a-race-foretold/p1

Onto the questions ...

- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Yes. All my PBs are from 2019:

5K 19:31 Jingle Bells (Dec '18)

5M 32:30 Raheny 5 Mile (Jan '19)

10K 41:31 Clonee 10k (June '19)

10M 1:18:21 Frank Duffy 10 Mile (Aug '19)

HM 1:32:47 Clontarf Half Marathon (Nov '19)

Completely surprised myself with a 19:43 at the recent Bob Heffernan & Mary Hanley 5k on the back of relatively low mileage and not much more than easy runs and the odd tempo effort, so perhaps I'm not as far off my 2019 shape as I thought. And before anybody asks, I was wearing the same pair of racing flats I've had for years - I'm a bit old school in that way. 😉

- Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No.

- How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Since I signed up for DCM at the start of the year the intention was to run more consistently and increase the mileage steadily. COVID and a couple of trips away got slightly in the way so the ramp-up hasn't been quite as steady as planned (monthly totals since January: 68, 55, 48, 70, 101) but if I can manage another 100-odd miles in June it'll be an average of 75 miles for the previous six months, which is a reasonable base I guess. I'm currently running between 4 and 5 times a week and the weekly mileage is now just shy of 30 miles. At the moment a typical week consists of mainly easy miles, one 1h run including a 20' tempo and one LSR that is now up to 9/10 miles.

I cycle a little bit: one or two commutes per week (a stop-start 15 mile round-trip) and longer 3-5h spins on some weekends, mostly around Wicklow and the Dublin mountains. About 1000 to 1200 miles per year. Not huge mileage but I'm sure it adds to the fitness.

I also play volleyball. Since September I have been training twice weekly and playing a match most weekends but that will now tail off going into the summer.

- What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Being my first marathon the main goal will be to run it start to end and enjoy the experience. Knowing myself, I will have to make an effort not to focus on finishing times (I already plugged in my Bob Heffernan time into the calculators!) and will have to keep reminding myself that anything inside 3h30 would be awesome for a first marathon.

- How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I think 4 times per week is realistic and hopefully I can add an extra recovery run here and there, especially now that the indoor volleyball season takes its summer break. I'll follow the Boards plan. Having the LSRs on a Saturday is ideal for me but I need to think about the Wednesday sessions. I'm considering moving them to first thing Tuesday mornings (a slightly better slot for me to do a longer run) but I still need to figure out how that impacts the rest of the plan if I do that.

- What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

From a physical point of view I'm reasonably confident I will be able to handle the training volume but it's a little bit beyond what I've done before so we'll see. Ideally I would've liked to go into it with a slightly better base and a few more 100+ mile months but I think I'm in a reasonable place.

My biggest concern is preventing DCM from taking over. I definitely want to enjoy the journey and the event but personal/family life must come first; that's the only condition I set myself before signing up. It may cost me some training runs and preparation may be sub-optimal but I'm accepting that.

- Why are you running this marathon?

Good question. I don't particularly enjoy long runs! I suppose that, like many casual runners, as we start training a bit more and racing increasingly longer distances the marathon seems to be an inevitable destination. So far I've shied away from it partly because I didn't feel ready and partly because it always felt like you are investing way too much time and effort into a single event but here we are. Maybe it's a subconscious mid-life crisis. 🙂

Advertisement