Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

That lad in the paper is always very complimentary of the farming community on here. And he knows not to quote most of the stuff that's said 😂

In fairness, that insight from @Grueller deserved a wider audience. The "experts" in the media put lads under savage pressure about cutting silage in time, and the costs of not getting it right, etc. The bit of common sense was badly needed to give a sense of perspective.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's so true about farming, there's so much you can't plan for, deaths, diseases, weather. If you take it serious you'll only be going the one way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

That's exactly it. But according to some media stuff, nothing ever goes wrong on the big farms. So if something does go wrong on your farm, then it must be your fault. That's a dangerous message to be sending out when farmers are under more pressure than ever.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How many bales were made in total is probably an important factor in deciding the benefit of the fertiliser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

On one bit of ground (5 acres) I got 50 bales this year. It was given 3000g/ac pig slurry only, last grazed in November by sheep. Last year it got 3000g/ac cattle slurry (from a fattening shed) and 1.5bags/ac CAN+S. It yielded 44 bales then.

What is the trigger for the difference? Weather? Soil temp? Slurry quality? There's so many things that make up the equation of inputs to get outputs that it's too simplistic to say using less fert = more output. In my situation I got more bales/ac with a complete cut of chemical fert. vs. the quoted post who got less on half the fert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

Did silage at weekend and had planned dribble bar 3000gl slurry / acre but I see it's set to be dry for next 7 days (20 degrees some days). Is there any point in doing it now or should I hold off?

I understand the N may struggle with no rain, but what about P/K?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Farmer Dan

I say its beacuse there was exceptional growth there for the last few week, remember last May 2021 the growth was very slow.

Also field has been rested for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I’d get it out now when the field is bare, there’ll be rain from next Monday on.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

In this locality it has been the first season ever that there's been a very noticeable difficulty for contractors in finding drivers. Often heard lads from elsewhere talk about it but only seeing it first hand this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Ours is coming back in the silage today....much prefer the splash plate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Last year we had a terrible Spring, one of my silage fields turned into a lake and every ditch was overflowing. We then had a poor May which resulted in a lower yield again. Thankfully we had a great month of May this year, despite the small period of drought that pushed the silage crop to seed head earlier than it should have.

I was more just pointing out how I ended up with almost the same amount of bales this year compared to last year with half the fertiliser. The fertiliser bill last year was also a third the price. I understand its not good to count by the bale since you could have a field of stemmy wet silage that will give you a lot more bales to the acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Possibly the nights have been Warmer than last year and we've also had less frost, so night time grass growing may have been increased.

Same here with huge crops and less fertiliser, with no genuine explanation, though I wonder will that change, as after grass seems to be slow around here this last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I may have gone against the trend and put out the usual fertiliser amount on my silage ground. Resulted in 13 bales/acre of dry wilted grass. A bit of stem but not completely headed out. Happy enough that it’s baled dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Schools are closed now, so they'll be grand, never seen any of them in our greater area having difficulties when there's something big,fresh & clean to be driven.

They'd work 24/7 for them if there was year long work at it.

You are bang on. This thread is worse than the media you reference. Lowest point being the regular poster giving daily updates over the last week on how his neighbour is doing his silage wrong and how everything he does is so perfect and great. I mean cop onto yourself.

its a wonder some of the “experts” on here don’t set up a consultancy and become millionaires, god knows they have enough time with the amount of blowing they do on here about themselves. It’s because forums like this don’t refuse ink, you can guarantee that their farms aren’t as great as they like to make out on here.

rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mowed 16 acres Saturday, 2 fields heavy enough crop if anything second field heavier than first ,

first field tedded once and returned exactly 10 bales/ac. ( don't ask... but only 24 hours in the day and other issues on hand)

second field tedded twice and returned circa 8.9 bales/ac

I have been contradicted on this forum b4 about the merits of tedding but with today's cost its a no brainer. 30 year old tractor that does 3 full days on 50 ltr diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Completely agree with you. Tedding is a no brainer. Reduce the bale count by even one bale/acre will pay for it and the quality of the crop wrapped will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

All the blowing about the fortunes been made milking has gone to lads heads around here, have a 40 acre block of ground that I've been renting the past 8 years it's wet ground not trafficable with a tractor usually from early October to late April, in the 8 years I've had it was able to get slurry out on it two of those years in Spring with this year been one of them, paying 230 a acre with sfp back to land owner who is drawing entitlements....

He wants to do a five year lease from next year on talking a minimum of 350 a acre to us he'll apparently get 400 plus on the open market plus entitlements, going to let him off to narnia and cut back cows here, at the above kind of money and where fertiliser costs are you end up been a glorified slave I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Having lots of days with heavy showers here. Temp isn't all that high either. Mother has the fire on in the evenings again. Bound to turn good again soon.

Anyone use a wuffler instead of tedding it out?

Fertiliser even at this price is sill cheaper than buying in fodder next Spring or substituting lower silage yields with meal(which is going to cost a lot this Winter).

Is it just me or is the weather forecast becoming more inaccurate? Sunshine for a week quick turns into rain everyday.

It's been difficult in my area the last few years. It's getting rare to see younger lads in tractors and sometimes we are looking to the next county for drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

The weather forecast is definitely becoming more inaccurate. It seems the more technology advances the worse it becomes for weather forecasting. Two pictures attached below taken from the same weather website 10 hours apart for this area. It couldn’t have changed any more from one extreme to the other in the space of 10 hours for this time of year. Very hard to plan for anything with such unreliable short term forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Would ye spread slurry now (splash plate job) with it looking dry for the next few days or hold off till the rain is forecast to come?

The trend I am seeing is that they forecast all sunshine and no rain and then suddenly add in the showers as we get close.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Was a big fan of YR too but noticed Met Eireann more accurate lately for weather 4+ days out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I presume it's me you are referring to. There was a discussion going on at the time. Lads cut on the Friday with a fairly dodgy forecast and they got there silage. The quote was'' it was worth the risk''

This is what happens when the risk goes wrong. He got his silage on Thursday evening Friday morning. He rushed picking it up. He did not ted it again but row d it up and picked it. The silage was tested at 18%DM.

That is what happens when it goes wrong. It happened to me two years ago. Tried to grab it in a weather window the end of June panicking.

Local baler man says it was crazy and this guy always cuts early. He said that a contractor told him it takes nearly twice the diesel to bring in really wet silage.

The harvester has to work harder picking it up, the tractors burn more drawing it, the loader burns away more on the pit as well and finally for the farmer you are feeding twice as long drawing 80% water to your cattle.

An older dairy farmer said as well that cows for the last few weeks before calving can go downhill fast on that type of silage as they cannot take in enough as there stomach size has shrunk due to tbe calf increasing in size.

On tedding I am hearing prices of 18-20/acre for it. That the cost Inc plastic of 1.5 bales per acre. I priced tedders for the pig iron. 3-4k for a second hand 20'. A new Jarmet is 4800 but they are a light machine. Minos new 5.8 k. Over a ten year life span the capital cost of second hand if for yourself (35-40 acres of silage over two cuts) is equivalent to about 10/ acre. New would be much the same over twenty years. That is before you get up and add tractor or diesel costs

Local contractors are all starting to charge 15/ acre for raking. However most only want to rake 2-3 hours before the baler at most they are even happy to have it just before the baler, that suits them not me

Local baler man again reckons that this is a waste of time. Tedding and raking is costing to 33-35/ acre. His and my opinion is that forget about tedding, rake 6-8 daylight hours before baling and watch the weather. But contractors will need to get rakes into fields 6-8 hours before baling if we have to pay for it. Other than that they can f@@king bale the 10' mower swarts.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Forecast are really only accurate 36-48 hours. After that you are in the lap of the gods. Long rage forecast are a guess at what way high and low pressure point move. If you have a mixture of highs and lows as we have at present it's a guess at best. Lad cut hay last Thursday evening. Looking at it passing he will nearly get it in 48 hours showers or no showers.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement