Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

did he? ive seen an article from last year where he says non, smith and jauzion were in the top 5 of toughest opponents hes faced but i see nothing about tuilagi

anyway, there was a time where he was up there with the top centres but hes too brittle (unfortuantely). leaving leicster after they stood by him through all his injuries isnt a good look for him too.

if the lions were playing tomorrow and it were between him and ringrose, id be picking GR all day. or henshaw. or johnathan davies. or henry slade.

chris farrell would be above him at this stage even to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Flip, I don't know. At his best Tuilagi was unplayable. It was simple but effective. He wouldn't have the low of gravity of a BOD or a Ringrose, but his power and pace was something else.

Ireland always struggled against him. Him and Billy Vunipola together were unstoppable at times.

All that said I don't know if England should be hanging their hopes on the 2023 version of him at the next WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

definitely unplayable at his best but you can kinda say that about most top level players - ringrose at his best is unplayable too but its how often theyre at their best is the question. with tuilagi that seems to not be too regular (same with GR up until recently too tbh) and it would very much appear most of his best days are well behind him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Anybody know when the Ireland squad is to be announced? Think it’s this week

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Lads where are we going thinking we can have an impact at world Cup when our basic scrum crumbles against the bigger teams, France, England, South Africa will unfortunately mince us next year, is it bigger locks we need or new scrum coaches, we are supposed to have a world class front row unit but our scrum seems to be always under pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Lack of bulk at lock IMO. Our locks would be 6s if they were French, English or South African.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

At what point in the last World cup circle did Ireland start declining from their peak? Its seem like Leinster/Ireland were in peak form and are now on the decline a year out from the World Cup again. I was excited about the NZ tour, it has now turned to dread.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Things went off a cliff in the 2019 Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Porter still has a year to get himself in gear. Healy though, won't be at the world cup, imo. He's got little gas left in the tank. Sexton is the biggest problem ! His age is worrisome and although he's been great this season, I think it's a bridge too far for him to continue his form.

After Sexton we are in trouble! There's nobody close to his level.

The scrum would do better when Porter learns to scrummage at loosehead. He's been a weak link for Leinster. I think he needs to put on some kilos. His overall game hasn't been as good since the switch.

I'm not sure if any lock would improve the scrum. Porter needs to improve his balance, bind and get comfortable. He looks low on confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Peaked? you do realise Ireland and Leinster have won nothing since that world cup. ZERO. In fact Andy Farrell is still picking the 36 year old 10 and the same 2 back up 10s. Ireland dont peak other teams take a step back for the run in to the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I believe it was the second game against Scotland when Ireland truly realised how far off the pace they were. The opening game v Eng was a shock to most but in hindsight - It was peak England & Tuilagi performance PLUS Sexton, Murray and Best were all rusty/on the way down for various reasons.

I wrote Sexton off as for the scrap-heap and to cut the cord after the WC. That's what's so remarkable this season is his resurrection. I believe he has never played as well. Can the form and body hold up for another 16 months? I think it unlikely and would rest him this summer.

He will go of course and i can see Ireland doing ok. Doubt they will win the 1st Test in Eden park but that's their best chance.

As for WC, Ireland are not getting past NZ/France even if The Messiah (Harry) arises and 'shoots fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse'

I'm confident that this team (Ireleinster) will not nose dive like the 2019 team but at the same time desperately hoping that Munster can defrag Carbery and Casey next season.

and Nathan Doak gets the 21 jersey

and Porter stays fit

and Furlong

and....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't think Henshaw has played at 15 for eithere Ireland or Leinster since?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I know what 'fragging' is (or was), but 'defrag'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Back in the day (presume it still happens tbh) PC harddrives would get fragmented which would make them inefficient. I think the basic logic was that an application's fiiles would be stored in a particular section of the HDD, then it would get an update, or you would make settings changes, and the newly created files would be stored on another part of the hardrive. Leading to increased boot times for complex programs. So every now and then you'd run a defragmentation, "defrag" for short - but it was never short. It always took several hours.

Okay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Except the English SR isnt that particularly bulky. And lets be honest with the pack we have if we are getting monstered by a pack with 7 players then that should tell you something is seriously wrong other than the bulk issue, yes our pack isnt particularly big but it isnt so lacking in bulk that it should be monstered off the park like it was in Twickenham for instance, you wouldnt see Scotland or Wales get beat like that if they were in our shoes which says it all.

I certainly hope the Irish squad dont have the same defeatist mindset you do for a QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Healy shouldn't go to NZ. It's time to try other props. He just isn't good in open play. He's really slowed down.

So! Who goes instead? Ed Byrne? I don't think he's good enough. Warwick? Having a great season. But is he good enough to bench? Wycherly? Too small, imo. A little more size and experience and he could be good enough. E.O.S? Has issues at scrum time. But is great in open play. My dark horse would be Loughman! He's probably not going as he's behind Kilcoyne, but he looks rock solid in the scrum. He's been impressive whenever I've seen him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Why do you always refer to Joe Schmidt as Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Loughman is only 2cm taller than Wycherly. 10kg heavier but Josh is still getting bigger.

I think Wycherley is stronger and more explosive than Loughman right now so what you lose in mass in the scrum, is made up by his carrying ability and tackling

He will get bigger in pre season but not before the NZ tour

If the aim is to have him in as good a place as possible come World Cup time would Wycherley be better off touring, or staying at home and hitting the "supplements"?

There's definitely a case to be made for including Warwick. Even if he didn't play much he'd make the scrum training higher quality. Ulster's scrum has been the best on the island this season.

Loughman has size on his side. He's been listed at 120 kilos in the past and is currently down as being 118kg. He's also got good handling ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Healy is still our best shot at a win in NZ so should travel. I don't see any other player available that is better off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Most of Ireland's best players are obviously with in the Leinster set-up. In league games they are far superior to most / all other sides, even without some /all of the front line starters. If rugby life is relatively easy for most of the 'stars,' is it possible the impact of the 'easy' success leads to tiny incremental decreases in performance at the very highest levels. It is human nature for most of us that if things aren't constantly challenging, we ease off. The front row was excellent and for no apparently discernable reason it has lost it's edge. Maybe losing to LAR will revitalise the team. I suspect that - injury aside - all the players from Saturday would be bursting to start the next match. Leinster of recent years have been ruthless but while their players are hugely talented perhaps they have lost the edge a bit. No real nasty bastards like Etsebeth, Fardy, et al.

With regard to Ireland's props, I find it a bit odd that Marty Moore isn't in the equation at all. He does the scrummaging a lot better than TOT and is very good in open play. He has very good passing skills indeed. Andy Warwick would be a most unlikely call-up but he has always been o.k.ish and has had a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Agree that Moore should be involved, but since IRFU have just sanctioned the signing of a Kiwi to compete directly with him and TOT, I'm not sure that's a great omen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Or it could be a very good omen. "We expect your players to be with Ireland a bit, have a foreigner"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's a much more 'glass half full' take on it, fair play - but Farrell has been pretty consistent in ignoring Moore, if he doesn't travel to NZ then he's never going to wear green again.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

No scrum, no win unfortunately, we need to improve and henshaw and ringrose not creative enough I think, forget about Ross Byrne at this stage as an option, too many simple dropped balls last weekend that should not have been

• Advertisement

Based on last weekend Byrne isnt the only 10 we should be forgetting about if that's the criteria.

Advertisement