Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Agreed, the county board level is still operating on nostalgia rather than reality.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And would you think taking the money away from the provincial councils and it all going to HQ is a good idea?

There are enough posts on these boards complaining about "financial doping" of Dublin.

Taking money away from the provincial councils would only exacerbated the problem.

It certainly ends some of the beat-downs in the early rounds of the qualifiers, which is a big positive.

But beat-downs in the early rounds of the qualifiers was never a problem.

Most of the top teams were usually still in the provincial championships when the early rounds of the qualifiers were being played.

The problem was beat-downs in the provincial championships.

Even though the Tailteann Cup had been approved but postponed at the time of the Mayo hammering of Leitrim in 2021 was promoted as a reason why something like the Tailteann Cup was needed.

But it does nothing to address it.

Leitrim can still get drawn against and hammered by Mayo in Connacht at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

An option they could have is run the provincial championships in consecutive weeks. You'd probably get a bit of a buzz about it too when games are coming in quick succession.

For Munster/Connacht you'd have the provincial championship over in 2 weeks (3 weekends). Ulster/Leinster have preliminary rounds for some teams so would add an extra week.

It was 4 weeks since Roscommon played Sligo and 3 weeks since Galway played Leitrim until they met in the final. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Mayo haven't played since the 24th April and it'll be 6 weeks since they last played, when they play monaghan next weekend.

Pretend 1st June is a Sunday. 1st June - 8th June - 15th June for provincial with Ulster/Leinster starting a week earlier.

Final qualifier round the next week on 22nd June. Break on 29th. Quarter final on 6th July. Semis on 20th July and Final on 3rd August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hard to argue with any of that - agree with you about your general point of teams not having a balance.

Dublin used to have it off perfect when they could vary play at Peak under Gavin. Defensive or Attacking when required.

Under previous management Kildare was set up defensive now it is all or nothing attack. Teams need to get smarter they could vary play in blocs of 10 minutes etc. Donegal could win Sam IMO if they did that. All the tools there for a great side. But Bonner not up to it IMO.

Derry playing defensive I can understand they are building a strong base making best use of what they got. Not blessed with lots of flashy fowards.

You are spot on as well about Dublin conceding way too much. If Dublin tried a ‘we score more’ game plan v Kerry. I can see only one winner. Plus Kerry could even afford to double mark Con as Rock does little from play.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Tailteann Cup draw:

Leitrim v Sligo

Fermanagh v Cavan

Carlow v Westmeath

Offaly v New York

Have no idea why they're persisting with this Northern/Southern section setup, seems pointless imo

I am not sure did they show the highlights of Meath ladies v Dublin ladies football on the Sunday Game. Was flicking channels. But Meath ladies were the same one trick ponys as Donegal men. I was at it and was really poor stuff.

One trick ponytails I called the Meath women ultra defensive one point in a half. Very easy for any side at any level to set up defensively with hand passing. It is lazy when there is no variety and the tools are there. Very easy to play against as well can only threaten on break. Was 05- v 01 HT!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's a good idea in many ways but it does limit attendances. i.e. it reduces the amount of games you could go to. The system Ulster used this year with the quarter finals over two weekends (one game Saturday, one game Sunday) meant a die-hard GAA fan could go to all 8 games in the province.

4 week gap for Roscommon was obviously ott, but I can't see them going for your idea of a 1 week gap either from semi-final to final. It's almost an unwritten rule that you get at least a 2 week gap (few days to celebrate getting to the final, then start the build-up). Possibly also helps with ticket sales as well as they get longer to pump a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

The shock of all shocks

Cavan against another ulster team

I'm sick to the teeth of drawing ulster teams in qualifiers and now this tailteann Cup

The northern and southern section is a farce

But the competition itself will be a success I think it's obvious by the games the weekend that teams are buying into it and games got more coverage on the Sunday game than they would have in their provincial championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Westmeath v Cavan in the TC final if the draw goes that way imo. With Cavan winning it.

Feels weird to see Cavan in the TC alongside poor teams like Down and London considering they won Ulster two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I think next year the prov cships will be run off in a very short time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 34,393 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I watched the four games this weekend and sadly thought all four were poor. Galway v Rossies was best of bad lot. The ulster final was basketball on steroids and grass.

Can we also stop players handpassing over the bar. Such a awful skill.

In certain circumstances the fished point is a very smart play.

I recall the 2007 quarter final Kerry v Monaghan and Monaghan had Kerry on the rack.

But one of the O'Ses went up the field late on and finding himself at a bad angle fisted over a point to settle Kerry and they went on and won

A wise move from a wise player.

Back a few years ago in a Leinster championship game Westmeath were beating Meath by a point late, Meath kept trying for a goal when a fisted point was on, Westmeath ended up turning them over and going down and scoring a goal thus finishing them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Something I noticed at the Derry games is a lot of middle aged men wearing jerseys from the 90s with numbers on the back. It is like they are trying to subtly brag that they were a minor sub 25 years ago. I've seen young people wearing them too, a subtle brag that their father was a county player. That is the only reason I can think why people would wear those uncomfortable looking 90s long sleeve jerseys to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe they don't want to fork out $$$ for a replica jersey in the shop? if they have one at home already

I mean, surely it's better people wear old match jerseys than throw them in the bin

I suppose the skill is getting that close to the goal to be in a position to fist it over.

Not so much the fist itself (although I have seen players fist the ball wide too)

Not sure I agree. I said it ends some of them.

This weekend we have 4 first round qualifiers, all of which have potential to be very close matches (Mayo/Monagahan, Tyrone/Armagh etc.)

In previous years you'd have had an extra round including those teams, plus also Wicklow, Waterford and so on. So while you could potentially still get a Tyrone/Armagh pairing, you'd also have the likes of Mayo v Wexford, Wicklow v Monaghan etc. which add little.

in summary, yes Leitrim can still get hammered by Mayo or Galway in Connacht. But they won't follow that up with another hammering by another Div 1 team to end their season. So the beatings are reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Carlow and Leitrim are a great example of the value of the Tailteann Cup both were hammered out the gate in first provincial game however they got a chance to reset and train for a game against a team at their level and they both went out and won far better than being annihilated in first round of qualifiers by Mayo or Tyrone. Both now have a chance to progress as well this will do far more for them than the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I'm in full agreement with that.

Get rid of the North/South aspect and have an open draw and the Tailteann Cup has the potential to develop into a good competitive and interesting competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Retro jerseys are in vogue, and maybe always have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When I was a kid having a 90s jersey was all the rage 😜

Yeah Eco whatever they call it now. I have a Dublin 1996 Jersey in the draw somewhere still - Original 1995 fell to bits. Have 2006 Jerseys, a five in a row jersey, a retro 1995 one, and a retro 1983. And I alternate depending on the weather and the opposition.

In fairness to those Derry fans that other poster is going on about, they don't often get the chance to wear their jersey at finals! Might as well get the wear out of it!

I don't think there's anything to this story.

Retro jerseys are back in vogue the last few years. You can get an official ONeills late 80s and late 90s Galway jersey... I'm sure every county has two similar ones available.

Any who kept originals would be more inclined to use them now as well for the above(and you always had some rural folk at games wearing ancient ones anyway).

Saw plenty of variations in Salthill on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have a 1938 Kerry Jersey. I think we win that year as well. It's s bit like a rugby jersey with a laced neck opening. It's not going out of date any time soon.

Only fault with it is I bought it about 12-14 years ago before retro jerseys came back into fashion and unfortunately I have put on a few pounds since

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The round 1 qualifiers take centre stage this weekend how does posters see the four games going?

Mayo v Monaghan in MacHale Park

Cork v Louth in Páirc Ui Chaoimh

Clare v Meath in Cusack Park

Armagh v Tyrone in Athletic Grounds 

For me to win.

Cork - Home advantage and playing in a higher level division should give them the edge 

Mayo - Mayo have never lost a home qualifier and Monaghan's have been poor in the qualifiers the last few years 

Meath - have a very good record against Clare 

Tyrone - Armagh peaked midway through the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'de say the same and if there is to be an upset it will be Louth beating Cork as Cork just seem so listless and lacking motivation recently.

Monaghan and Armagh are good sides too which is why I'm not calling it an upset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I think Clare will be quietly confident of taking Meath. Was only a point between them in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'd go for Mayo, but expect it to be close. Louth to do a Mickey Harte special on Cork. Clare to beat Meath and Armagh to beat Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭tanko

If Donegal win their qualifier is it decided which provincial winner they would then play?

Advertisement