Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

Thats a dressed up off topic rant

The topic of this thread occurred in the last month or two

RTÉ is covered by the BAI as are all broadcasting organisations

It ensures fairness and a process,a staged process to resolve issues that may arise

This includes a right of reply and an appeal to the compliance committee if no right of reply is given

Given the content of the segment I heard and the length of time (very short) you'd have to conclude rights of reply avenues were not persued here and indeed that the reason was there were no grounds for them

Ergo those of us that are not dyed in the wooll SF supporters here have concluded that this looks like a Slapps

The head of the opposition starting a slapps case is not good for democracy or the free press

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Yes because people are on boards to meet your demands while you ignore the response when it doesn't suit you.

The information is all available on the web for the victim of the PIRA, rapes etc, I stopped at the story of the 12 year old been brought to England for an abortion.

As I said already, SF are shutting down the media and the online "supporters" try to shut down any non SF supporters.

Get up the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Where are the answers to my requests for back up Brokenangel?

You have provided nothing whatsoever.

Where is this 'information' available on the web? You didn't make any claims about somebody being brought to England for an abortion.

THESE are the claims you made:

Yes I know but they still didn't name her. Also it's "victims" and not "victim". Plenty have come out online and I am sure MLMD has told everyone they are lying. That is the SF way after all isn't it?#

Where has she told all these 'victims' that they are lying? And can you tell us how many victims of rape there are. 'Plenty' implies there are many.

We should ignore people who claimed to be raped now? first off a lot of these people lived in the North so going to the Gardai was not an option. Second off plenty of these victims the PIRA just killed them

Again the insinuation that there are 'plenty', or should I say 'were' as you claim the IRA killed them. Can you present your data on this please.

And finally, can you back up your claim with the data you have seen, that 'the people are troubled' by this case and SF?

Where are the answers to my requests for back up Brokenangel?

So far you have ignored people responses when you want across all threads, so it's pointless responding isn't it.

Get up the yard.

Ok, not getting drawn into your invective here.

You have no back up. You were mythologising and engaging in the kind of unbacked up comment that MLMD seems to be fed up with if this case is about what is being speculated.

You have been repeatedly asked for back up by me and others and retort with 'up the yard' invective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"It has been striking to see the similarity of Sinn Féin’s wagon-circling reaction to these allegations and that of the Catholic Church, when it too tried to put its own institutional safety before the wellbeing of abuse victims. The parallels are sickening."

We have seen the same sickening wagon-circling going on in these threads. The fake calls for back-up when the material is out there and the relevant posters are well aware of same are just disgusting, and your posts are part of that pattern.

So that is one case.

The poster made a claim of 'plenty'. And then made a further claim that the IRA killed these 'plenty' of victims.

No back up for these claims.

Are you supporting these claims blanch? Yes or no?

P.S. Somebody involved in the segment, reputedly at the heart of this case, claimed she knew of 40 victims at the height of the media frenzy about this, she (Regina Doherty) never backed up these claims either.

That is at least two - Paudie McGahon and Mairia Cahill.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ira-child-sex-abuse-survivors-to-meet-minister-over-kangaroo-court-abuse-cover-up-38176812.html

There were two other women involved in the Mairia Cahill case who also received an apology from the PSNI. So we are up to four. Then there was a second man in the McGahon case so we are up to five.

How many is plenty? How many is sufficient for you to stop handwaving away the issue? How many is sufficient for you to stop defending the cover-up? Do you think five people abused by members of SF/IRA is not a problem but say 40 is?

What about the Brendan Curran claims?

What is enough for you to drop this disgusting defence?

So would that define the 'plenty' claim?

How many of these were 'killed' by the IRA?

IT IS NOT A DEFENCE of what happened to those people. I have repeatedly said SF at that time, like many other organisations in this country, handled these cases badly. SF even admits to that themselves.

It is a defence of truth and accuracy though.

You guys think you can mythologise and lie (and the 'plenty' claims of rape and killing of rape victims is at best mythmaking and at worst a scurrilous lie) about these things, you think anyone in your line of fire deserves to have their name thrashed.

The equivalent behaviour would be to tar everyone in FG at the time Leo did what he confessed to as 'the same'. Nobody would do that, but it's different when it comes to SF.

MLMD is no more responsible for what happened under Gerry Adams watch than Lisa Chambers is for what happened under Charlie Haughey or Bertie Ahern.

I have asked you again to define what you mean by "plenty". How many child and sex abuses covered up by Sinn Fein is sufficient to get you to call for action from Sinn Fein? One? Two? Or are you happy to wait until there are hundreds?

According to the articles I have posted, they add up to hundreds of abuse cases covered up by Sinn Fein. This is not mythmaking, this is not scurrilous lying, this is from the national media, before they are shut up by SLAPPs cases.

When does the number become sufficient and the issue serious that you stop the handwaving?

I am convinced that even if I present evidence of Sinn Fein covering up thousands of child abuse cases, that you would handwave it away.

Do you think that Sinn Fein, like the Catholic Church and the State (the other organisations you reference), should pay reparations in these cases?

As for your whataboutery with Leo, what a disgrace to trivialise the covering up of child sex abuse to compare it to that. Disgusting behaviour.

Keep up the handwaving.

• Advertisement

As seen across all these threads, it doesn't matter what back up is provided, it is always ignored once it doesn't suit the narrative.

Shut down the media, shut down anyone with a different opinion on the web. It is a concerted campaign now for years from SF. Just look at the socket puppet accounts on here, some created multiple years ago. Are we supposed to believe someone sat down years ago to create multiple accounts just in case they required them??

Plus we seem to have one or two posters who think they run this website, if someone doesn't respond to their demand they should expect this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

100% correct.

The problem is when it comes to debates in the media with Sf and their patsies you will get nowhere as all they do is obstruct, agitate, humiliate, bully and back at obstructing again. It's part of all that Belfast training manual they are ordered to go through. That's why I don't really engage with them here. It just frays the nerves.

Dan.

I didn't use the word 'plenty'. It was brokenangle that used the term.

I understand 'plenty' to mean a 'large'; amount.

How many cases of rape are you aware of committed by the IRA or SF? (don't try and bring the case of a priest abusing children into it, Brokenangel was not referencing that for a second)

I am aware of possibly 5 allegations, none proven.

How many of those have been 'killed' by the IRA?

I am aware of zero incidents where the IRA killed victims of rape.

Are you? Yes or no.

If SF have been found to have been negligent in their handling of these cases then of course they should be made to pay reparation and damages.

*I didn't relate child sex abuse to what Leo did blanch...you are a disgrace of a poster. I very clearly related holding all members responsible for the actions of 1 party member. STOP please with the lies and misrepresentation of my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

It does not appear to be a SLAPPS action. There is an FFG propaganda element to having it presented as such. As for RTE's history, you may have been unaware of its bias and subversion. The BAI role in this is irrelevant as it is a defamation action.

This is no longer the political landscape of Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber. The old 2.5 party model with FF and FG simply trading government seats after each GE ended around 2013. SF didn't have quite as many seats then and it wasn't the most popular party. Now, SF is at 36% in the latest RedC opinion poll. FG is at 20% and FF IS AT 15%. There are some in the media who obviously don't like that reality and wish for a return to the old 2.5 party model. The Irish media had spent so much time toadying to FF/FG/Labour/Greens that the rise of SF took it by surprise. The Irish media is finding it hard to cope with reality. Newspapers have been losing readers and sales. Most people no longer read a daily newspaper. RTE has lost large sections of its radio audience to local radio competitors. In the past, if somebody said that a leader of a party was the subject of a criminal investigation by the Gardai then people might have assumed that the party was SF. But the leader who was the subject of a criminal investigation was Varadkar. That was quite unseemly for FG and it destroyed a lot of FG's credibility as being a party of law and order.

The political landscape has changed but some of the Dublin media seems to think that it is operating in the old 2.5 party landscape. It suits FFG to spin this as being a SLAPPS action but it is not. It is a defamation action.

Regards...jmcc

'It does not appear to be a slapps action' you say...yet there's no evidence presented of defamation in the segment

As you know what you quoted up thread used the word initially in the apparently defaming question

Good luck with disproving the accuracy of that description

You know this but devoid of any leg to stand on, you just want to pollute the thread with off topic unfounded conspiracy theories

So 5 isn't plenty in your opinion. Fair enough, we can tell how low your standards are when it comes to investigating cover-ups of child sex abuse. If the number is 5 or less, there is nothing to see and the organisation and its leadership can go free and easy. By the way, we have forgotten about Aine Adams, so the number is six. Is that enough to be plenty?

Given the documented evidence of what happened to Mairia Cahill when she went public, and which continues to this day on these boards with many victim-blaming and not believing her, 5 is an incredible number to be known.

If Leo or MM or Ryan are refusing to come clean on child abuse within their political party, then yes, I would hold all members of those parties responsible for not defying them and removing them from office. Then again, I view the covering up of child abuse within a political party as far more serious than the alleged leaking of a document that was widely circulated already, but you have different standards.

I never once diminished 5 allegations blanch. that is another stock lie and misrepresentation in order that you can have a rant about me.

Michael Martin and the Ceann Comhairle and the letter of support for a convicted abuser? Louise O'Keefe and her battle with Enda Kenny and the government all the way to Europe? Redress for those abused under successive governments? Are you seriously saying that these organisations didn't have issues with handling abuse cases?

Almost all organisations had difficulties handling these issues, that's a matter of record. SF too, and they didn't handle them well at the time. That they admit that is also on the record.

But still the mythologising continues.

P.S. As you shied away, can I take it you also support the myth of the IRA killing victims of rape? Is it anything goes still with you if it is 'agin de shinners'?

So now you are trying to say that I shouldn't have used the word "plenty" because that would mean a large amount. Well let me tell you, one is too many. Absolutely shocking you are complaining about the number of people.

There are 5 allegations in an organisation of thousands Brokeangel.

That would mean I could say there are plenty of fraudsters and corrupt in FG simply because allegations have been made and a few have been caught engaging in fraud.

'Plenty' is an exaggeration. a 'few' is more accurate but doesn't serve the mythologising narrative I suppose.

Now would you please back up the other claim...'that the IRA killed victims of rape'.

And then tell us what data you consulted that told you the 'people of Ireland are troubled by SF'?

So now 5 is irrelevant because of the number of people in the organisation. That is an absolutely shocking statement to come out with 🤬

• Advertisement

Did you not see the reference to the State in my posts? This isn't about Ministerial responsibility as an office-holder of government, this is about personal responsibility for the organisation you claim to lead. No other political party had difficulty with handling abuse cases by its members.

You are still handwaving away, by the way. We are up to six and you don't consider it plenty. You still don't consider it enough for a public judicial inquiry into the handling of allegations by Sinn Fein.

In some people's eyes, six abuse cases isn't plenty and can be handwaved away.

As I said 1 is too many but it seems we should just ignore unless it was "large amount"

Absolutely shocking

WHERE did I say they were irrelevant? More lies to cover your exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭malk518

Looked up your profile history didn't see the same concern when Regina Doherty used the police to intimidate a blogger. This is what actual intimidation of journalists looks like.

"She said Ms Kelly had undergone a “chilling experience” at the airport – adding that she was stopped by two plain clothes gardaí who questioned her about her social media use and whether she had written an article about the minister."

Never mind slapps. Just use plain clothes Gardai the Fine Gael way.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/varadkar-regina-doherty-blogger-complaint-a-private-matter-528559

'Plenty' signifies a large number., The poster was clearly mythologising and exaggerating the extent of the issue. 5 or 6 is too many but in the context of thosands of members it is factually only a 'few' cases.

Now can any of you back up the other claims?

Or are we gonna just ignore the track record of exaggeration from this poster on the basis that any allegation is automatically proven if it's a shinner?

I think this thread exposes the primary issue some people have with this case. They don't want to give up the privilege of being able to make exaggerated claims and absurd generalisations they wouldn't make about other partiesd, because that is about all they have left, strategically.

As you seem so concerned about the blogger, not a journalist, it might be worth starting a thread. I would suggest you do some research on the blogger first as already pointed out on this thread

Still denying that posters here say this looks like a Slapps due to a lack of any evidence presented of defamation or you just don't care ?

Still posting unrelated off topic pieces about some other party ?

Still Nothing worthy to contribute ?

Missing in your latest pointless contribution are a few conspiracy theories to goo up the thread a bit more,you're slacking

• Advertisement

Plenty is defined in the dictionary as "having enough or more than enough".

You think that 5 or 6 don't factually equate to plenty.

The handwaving continues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement