Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek-Strange New Worlds 1x04 - 'Momento Moiri' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } « »

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Actually you just reminded me….. I was kind of surprised we didn’t see the splosion of that first ship that they dropped the torpedo on.

Yes I was disapointed in that. We just see the effect it has on the bridge crew and the ship shaking.

Was kind of in keeping with the whole submarine/depth charges vibe though of the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I liked that they didn't show the first ship being hit. Added to the submariness of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fantastic episode.

They handled the Gorn brilliantly without breaking Canon.

Gorn Hegonomy ships looked very different and cool.

As someone else stated... No mentioning of Burnham... Please. No.

Plot was witty, lines were good and its THE CREW working to save the day, not just one person. Really like how they are fleshing out the characters and Pike is such a cool character. Big fan of La'an also.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Enjoyed that. The best one so far. Other than Erica is it? The helmsman, who is getting increasingly irritating. And the lack of any respect of the chain of command in terms of rank, between characters, it was a good one.

Ortega and Uhura are both a bit annoying. They both talk like something from a highschool TV show or a comedy like Orville but at least it's just 2 of them rather than the whole crew like Discovery.

Also La'an has an interesting background as an atrocity survivor so I don't understand why they needed to give her an additional traumatic memberberry back story as a Singh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Give me season after season of this and Lower Decks and they can cancel everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't mind Uhura at all but do agree that Ortega can be annoying. She seems to think its all one big fun game.

Maybe she would be better in a Lower Decks style ship.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If it requires you as a viewer to say "maybe the targeting sensors were off?" then it means they've not given us enough information to make the situation make sense. Which is all I'm saying is the problem with that storyline - they just need it to be told more neatly so that every time the transporters doesn't work we don't wonder if the kid is now alive or dead.

As for transporting within the ship - they intended to beam the survivors over from the other ship, so it makes no sense that they couldn't transport within their own ship. If they could do it between 2 separate points moving within space, they can certainly do it within 1 fixed point plain where everything is stationary relative to each other.

Again though, I'm quite happy to be a hair irritated by a small thing like that, when everything else is largely going well with the show. They just need to back up their overtly emotional beats better within the sci-fi context they're working in.

Ms

As for transporting within the ship - they intended to beam the survivors over from the other ship, so it makes no sense that they couldn't transport within their own ship. If they could do it between 2 separate points moving within space, they can certainly do it within 1 fixed point plain where everything is stationary relative to each other.

Of course it makes sense. They would have been the other from the Transport pad on there ship to the Enterprise's ones but it obviously did not have any as was explained about the Hull so that could not be done. As for transporting within a ship well that is harder if it is not between two Transport pads. Don't ask me why it just is untill the 24th century when they have better transporters.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

@AMKC @~Rebel~

it was a cargo ship used to transport radioactive ore, so their hull was resistant to transporters.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Memento_Mori_(episode)

That was the reason they couldn't beam people from the cargo ship.

Continuity

Although Spock claimed to have never used the mind meld on Humans prior to the events of "Dagger of the Mind", in this episode he is shown doing just that with La'an Noonien-Singh.

Post edited by corkie on

• Advertisement

So they can beam down to a planet surface with no transport pads there, but they can’t beam 10 feet within the same vessel?

why then did they have to have a story beat saying “the transporters are down” when starting the lower deck evacuation, if they couldn’t use them anyway? The implication was they wanted to transport people out, but couldn’t, leading to that one fella dying when Pike had the door sealed.

No idea about TOS, but from their own storytelling it seems pretty clear internal transportation isn’t an issue.

Ms

I guess it's easier to make a mistake beaming someone inside a ship in space than beaming someone from a ship to a huge planet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Again though, as mentioned in the post you quoted, they literally intended to beam people out of lower decks - except the transporter was broken. Which is the reason this conversation started, is the first thing we then think about is the doctors daughter. In this version of Trek there’s no hint of any problem with beaming within the ship.

(To your planet point though, just logically, nowhere should be easier to transport without a pad than your own fully mapped ship which is all stationary relative to the pad. Beaming to a planet has far far more variables)

Ms

Site to site transport didn't exist yet that is why. The first one was in season 3 of TOS.

Maybe they would have been able to get on a transport bad on one part of the ship and beeam to a pad in a safer deck. Why its tricky maybe the warp signature of the ship interferes with it I do not know. That is just the way it is. Maybe they will change it in this show do or maybe they will give on explanation of why you can not beam within a ship. I am not too optimistic of this though.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What's the whole beaming inside a ship controversy. When was that an option ?

Ms

It was not but they said the transporters were down before they had to evacuate the lower Decks as they went into the brown dwarfs Gravity.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC quote:-

Site to site transport didn't exist yet that is why. The first one was in season 3 of TOS.

Can't believe that discussion about transporters are now popular again, to me they where always something to suit the plot.

Questions before where why didn't they have a pad in sickbay? Oh wait they have one now, looking forward to episode explaining why they removed it for Kirk's Enterprise.

Transporter pad failure!

Gorn vs. Archer - The Modern Gorn on Star Trek Enterprise - CGI

Everyone can remember what Kirk's Gorn looked like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe my favourite episode so far. If you're going to riff on Wrath of Khan, don't call attention that you're doing it and just fly your own course. An excellent 50 minutes of television.

Tense, exciting and really ensured every major character in the ensemble had something to do. Traits revealed through action, great stuff. Captain Space Dad is fast becoming a bolter for Best Captain. The stakes and pacing were nicely ramped up without everything blown up to 11; while the resolution - effectively play possum and hope the Gorn ship leaves - a nice subversion on a classic ending through destruction of the enemy. Surviving was victory enough.

Yes yes Ortega remains a tad quippy, but honestly? That's clearly her role in this ensemble and she backed up her blather with talent. Plus, there was a single moment where Pike glared at her after some sass - I suspect we'll come back to that when we get to her solo episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Loving it other than 1 thing, the schoolgirl chit chat of the two up front. Everything has to be a sarky or smartarse comment and its dragging me out of ST world. Its fine on Orville where thats expected, but its just so unprofessional seeming on a ST bridge. Hell, even whats-her-face in Discovery engineer isnt that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That was an absolutely cracking episode - was on the edge of my seat the whole episode, best one yet!

As mentioned kudos for the black hole as well

edit to say I was quite surprised by the show of gore in the episode with the blood trails, I can't remember an episode of Trek that was ever like that

Double edit to say Anson Mount kinda liked it as well

https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1528408008711098373?s=20&t=BioOc1ya_CZQm7YuP7g5OA

Post edited by fritzelly on

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Yeah I've seen a few people comment on this and I don't get it :D Sulu and Chekov made little remarks from time to time in TOS, and I've just started a re-watch of TNG and I'm not sure which episode it is (I'm about 5 episodes in) but LaForge made some smart comment as well.

I think people just forget that this happens in Star Trek, I'm sure Tom Paris made many a comment while at the helm in VOY.

I think it's a bit much to have Hemmer, Ortega and Chapel all be the sarcastic smartarse and Uhura similarly wisecracking.

So far I am not sold on Ortega as she is just the kind of generic cocky pilot which we have seen already.

But it's only 4 episodes in so I'm sure there is plenty of time to develop the characters beyond the stereotypes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems like each episode has focused on one or two characters, so I'd say it wont be long til Ortega gets a shout. My guess is her cockiness might get interrogated; some check to her talents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

True, I had forgotten about Chapel and Hemmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hemmer makes sense though. Dont Andorians and Aenar have a natural sense of arrogance because of their militaristic and honor based culture? (well for the Andorians anyway, the Aenar were isolationists.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, they'll come out with some deep-rooted insecurity that she is covering up with her snarkiness. And I'd be OK with that. They just need to round her off a little bit.

Thankfully it seems to be getting great ratings. As someone said above, I'd happily take 3 or 4 seasons of this and Lower Decks.

Give us our Picard last season and just..... quietly cancel Disco and abandon Section 31 (As much as it would pain me to see Michelle Yeoh go). Oh and there is that kid's show but haven't watched so won't comment.

I couldn't care if Disco keeps going at this stage. Having it in the 32nd century is too much of a block on every show set between 24 and 32. I absolutely guarantee a show will come along that will sht all over the canon and continuity of Disco at which point we can all laugh at the irony of Disco fans crying about how they broke canon.

Oh really, it's getting eyeballs? Where'd you see that cos I'm delighted to hear this show is getting the viewership to match what I presumed was good word of mouth.

If I put money on things, I'd say Disco will be killled at the end of season 6. There's the fifth definitely coming so one more commitment after that feels right as a compromise to let the show tie things off. And yeah, hopefully between this and Lower Decks some significant course correction occurs in the Trek brain trust.

If we are REALLY lucky, Kurtzmann and Goldsman will agree to quietly step down and not make a fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Too much of a block is right, and not only that it has tied shows into not just that stupid burn, but also those awful, awful ship designs. I find Discovery far more infuriating than Picard because of it. If you choose to ignore Picard within continuity you can, because it's a show focused on a small group of individuals. Yes you have the Mars stuff and the Romulan stuff to keep going, but that's not insurmountable so fine. But Discovery has tied Star Trek into a future where there can be no actual trekking because an alien got sad. Absolute garbage of the highest order.

Advertisement