Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The queues could be based on flight number? With all passengers told to arrive X amount of time ahead. If some are scared and arrive even earlier, they join their queue and wait

Another thing, what airlines fly out of T2? Is there scope to move some flights over to that terminal or do they have problems too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see Philip Boucher Hayes of the RTE south Dublin bourgeoisie is lecturing the peasants on social media complaining to “check their privilege” in the midst of this terrifying climate “emergency”.

The same guy who’s daughter was pictured on a horse in Morocco on a family holiday on the cover of a National paper;

Getting very tired of the uber privileged climate set and their sanctimony at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Flying out on thursday at 12.30, I'm freaking out a bit now. Just carry on luggage. What time should I get there at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well no the q will be for 8.00-8.59 flights.

The next q will be for 9.00-9.59 flights etc.

The 8 o clock flight q opens at 5 am closes at 7...

The 9 o clock q opens at 6 closes at 8 .

Or have the q set up in half hour intervals.

They know how many flights and how many people are booked on those flights.

If there's a smooth operation you won't have people arriving way too early which was part of the problem.

You also need the right amount of staff which seems to be a bigger problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is a former travel journalist....lol...

One rule for him another for the plebs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wednesday 8am maybe 😉 as early as possible given the long delays, good luck @sweetie

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It would be nice if Dublin airport didn't have a stranglehold on the country. There's a serious problem when hotels in Dublin are charging over 300 euro a night for a bog standard room and tourists are saying they'll sleep in the airport instead. How in the name of Jesus is a group of 45 people quoted 15,000 for an overnight stay in a hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

time-slots Qs are only option plus army taking over walk-through detector / tapping duties to redirect all other DAA staff to scanner/belts.

Flying out on Saturday morning with connecting flight to catch in Paris and **** myself atm, my wife got bad anxiety already as we've paid a fortune for holidays...really, upcoming holidays should make you excited not stressed.

Anyways, DAA managing clowns have had all data for at least 2 months ahead and did absolutely nothing, heads should roll for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Pathetic given the location, requirements and responsibilities.

Cost effective, though. Not long term as we can see.

I know of companies struggling to get good staff in for €13-14 per hour with less responsibilities, just physically demanding job.

You can get more by just doing fork lift course these days and outside of Dublin.

Poor management in DAA. Very poor.

• Advertisement

mostly agree, just 'cost effective' might be not-so-right as DAA will need to pay loads of money out in reimbursements for missed flights :)

ok, co-called Taoiseach rules out army in Dublin Airport https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-airport-live-updates-queues-27098199 ... God help us all...

guess another 'lesson to be learned' ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

On Today FM DAA stating that 260 security staff left during the pandemic (out of 1000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Kevin Cullinane (DAA) describes the security positions at the DAA as "well paid" on Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭thebourke

I'm flying on 15th june from dublin aiporrt...should i go to the airport now??😀??😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

No, you'll be too early and then be part of the problem. Go tomorrow instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sure how long do you want to spend in an airport with toilets and bins like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

Wasn't DAA only guaranteeing 20 hours originally? I remember the furore about it earlier this year.

Isn’t it always? Straight out of the Davos, BLM, Greta book of lectures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Listening to Dalton Philips on the radio a while back it appears that he subscribed to the idea that after the pandemic it would take several years to get back to 2019 levels. Whatever about the off peak season, which may take longer to recover, it was madness to assume this summer would not be insanely busy with all the pent up demand. And with this 4 or 5 year recovery fantasy in mind, the DAA left a couple of thousand staff take packages and leave the company. This included security staff, which was clearly a bad call.

To compound all this, the DAA then tried to hire staff in difficult roles, working very unsociable hours on the cheap. Perhaps they've got their act together in terms of recruitment, but if yesterday is anything to go by I would think at least in the short term that the die is cast and that the madness of yesterday will go on for another few weeks or months until new staff are trained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It was.

They changed it to 30.

Guaranteed income of 22k including shift allowance on 30 hours contract.

For people who are responsible for safety and security on international flights.

No surprise they are short staffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Philips couldn't give a sh"te. He is off to Glanbia with a better package and only milk powder and yogurt to worry about.

The calibre of the next CEO should be absolutely top notch and well versed in dealing with crises of this nature, or indeed making sure they don't happen in the first place. You know..... forward planning and good management. Of course it might just be an insider who is waiting for the step up. Any guesses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

More to the point, what will the minister do about it if they don't come up with a plan, or it doesn't work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I can't be the only one who thinks this is just another facet of the 'overdevelopment' of Dublin city. Use other airports no system can cope if everyone is travelling from the same place at the same time. In the greater scheme of things foreign holidays are not that important anyway.

You might be forgiven for thinking from the wall to wall media coverage that this was the greatest issue in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

She had a meeting with them on Thurs and was assured it was all good for the weekend. That worked out well

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

Help is on the way!

Workers wont do these jobs because the country is unaffordable. Mainly housing costs.

The housing crisis was created purposefully by encouraging migration to increase price pressure. Don't let them fool you, it was always the case.

Now they'll solve it "even more" by bringing in yet another 40,000 cheap labourers. Tip of the iceberg.

Howzat for a pyramid scheme? Are you loving it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Well we need to ask, who is in charge? the Airport has being a mess for almost a year and instead of sacking Phillips there is an Oireachtas committee which will do nothing but waffle.

I expect Kevin Cuillnane is front runner as he is doing the talking lately.

• Advertisement

Problem is, there’s only a certain level of pay these or any job can stretch to. They don’t particularly add a lot of value or innovation anywhere.

The real problem is the gulf in the cost of living vs these salaries. If you were renting anywhere half decent in Dublin or paying a mortgage then €14 per hour is completely off the radar. I actually don’t know how anyone in Dublin (and indeed elsewhere) can survive unless living with parents or already secure in their housing etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If we lived in a proper country the Minister would come out publically on RTE News, fire the DAA CEO, strip him of every privilege and pension and publicly scew him the way he deserves to be. But this is Ireland and FF corruption goes to the core. Security staff should all be Irish/EU with €40-€50/hr salaries like TSA instead they will get a few immigrants to do it for peanuts and then it will be corrupt with drugs passing though and until one day some Islamic terrorist trys some attack when his buddies in security to wave him on with whatever contraband which would normally make it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I see Dalton Philips has just tendered his resignation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

This is it exactly, migrants who would have filled these jobs can't afford to live here anymore. I reckon most of the current employees don't really need the money, living at home or long owning, and just didn't bother to show up Sunday. No surprise really given there were three big games, Gaa, Heino cup, champions league on the day before.

The current labour crisis is a direct result of the Government interfering with and inflating rent and housing costs, responding to public clamour.

Unintended (but foreseeable) consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

A massive reset will sort this issue out and everything else along with it, it's coming down the line very soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Decided that I’m not going anywhere until it’s fixed. Not subjecting myself or family to that rotten circus of careless incompetence… Qing on a roadway to get into an airport to Q to drop your luggage, to Q to get through security to Q to get on a plane.

You’d be two days trying to recharge your batteries from that. If you didn’t drink you want to start.

Reset how? People willing to do shift work during unsociable hours for €14 an hour and be able to get to work under their own steam in the middle of the night? The DAA might need to lay on a charter bus from a few places before that happens and up the hourly rate and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Nah, talking about more a global reset, I believe if you work any job in Ireland you should be able to afford to put a roof over your head.

Everything needs to collapse first before a reset can happen. 90% crash on wallsheet should get the ball rolling

40k ?? Isnt the EU big enough??

Apparently 5k applied for jobs. The $14 an hour jobs. Too many people. Simple. If there was a shortage of applicants they would have to up the pay and better the conditions. EU needs to manage the numbers coming in from outside the EU and Ireland would, without a shadow of a doubt, be better off with at least a temporary restriction in numbers coming in from anywhere. EU or otherwise.

Start issuing restricted number work visas. Or temporarily halt inward migration. Let the EU fine us. Do it until the housing crisis is resolved. Your children and grandchildren will be so much better off. This airport debacle is just a symptom of a bigger issue - screwing people over with crap pay and conditions and not giving a damn about how they live or if they have to queue for hours outside before even getting into the airport. All while the people at the top cream huge salaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

Klaus Schawb and WEF Covid is a house social credit score ect ect ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

guys, any news in regards to Qs outside of the terminals by any chance? thanks

A reset ehhh...would turning it off and on again not work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Cheers. If I go too early I'll be part of the problem but I'm not missing my flight to Primavera to see my favourite band play on Thursday, been waiting 3 years for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Flying out of Dublin at 8.30pm Friday evening. Will most of the queues have melted away by that time (as most of the day's flights have already departed) or will it still be an issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It’s well know that he’s a paid climate evangelist, wasn’t he on about eating nuts instead of traditional food a few years ago? He isn’t exactly foraging on nuts himself judging by the size of him. Nothing more annoying than these dictators that never did a proper days work in their lives telling people what to do.

The best that that clown can do is say it’s not satisfactory just like their lame apologies when they get caught out.

• Advertisement

Just go outside under a bush, what do you expect with the amount of people there, if they closed the toilets for cleaning you’d be complaining about that then.

Advertisement