Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

17 security staff didn't turn up for work yesterday??? wtf is going on?? were they in France for the football & rugby...or is there more to it than that??

anyone working in D.A fill us in?? is there disharmony of some sort?😶

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Liverpool & Leinster matches--> or maybe they simply don't like their jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Maybe given the casual nature of the contract (guaranteed 30 hours, be available for more) they made alternative plans. Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf i can fairly understand why people might be out with stress/mental health leave in that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Its very simple they had staff and let them go. they decided to pay a pittance. good reliabable people are scarce. what were they thinking "profit"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I can't be the only one who thinks this is just another facet of the 'overdevelopment' of Dublin city. Use other airports no system can cope if everyone is travelling from the same place at the same time. In the greater scheme of things foreign holidays are not that important anyway.

You might be forgiven for thinking from the wall to wall media coverage that this was the greatest issue in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'm not blaming passengers as it's human nature when you see all the social media posts from last week even though those queues were only 30-40 minutes.

DAA have to change their methods. One thing they can do in an instant is to control those entering the airport and restrict it to those with flights within 3 hours.

That will control the flow.

Note how quickly you can get through security in the evening? Because whilst there are many flights from 6pm, there are very few after 9pm.

So certainly not blaming passengers, they just are reacting to what they see, but there has to be segregation of those arriving far to early

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My guess is very little...a multi point plan with a lot of very flowery words.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stansted is poxy at the best of times.. has been always… Gatwick is 1000 more efficient and friendly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I normally use Gatwick but on this occasion Im staying with friends who are only 6 miles from Stansted so it has to be there for a pick up and drop off. Still dreading it though, Im not a fan of that airport at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya I'm not realistically sure what they can do in a week. Offer lots of overtime pay maybe, I think they've already reassigned people from Cork for the last few months so not much else they can do there bar closing Cork down, prioritise vetting for their staff maybe.

i expect that means if its not resolved within 24 hours there be a resignation. Who if not fixed as the minister will be weakened by idle threat.

I think the Ministers was a fool to ask for something that has being going on to my knowledge since the introduction of Covid test requirement which is about a year. It will be sorted in 24 hours??

The expectation is fix in 24 hours or a head, who's head if not fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The weekend will be a shitshow. There is no effective plan that can be put in place this late.

A huge shitshow. Not sure what the DAA can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Useful Twitter account

Dasecuritytimes

Seems a lot more manageable today (so far) and yesterday seemingly been no queues outside terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭4Ad

In Shannon airport..Took 3mins 10 secs from getting my boarding pass checked to leaving security check...just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

And what's your point exactly?

Not everyone is going to Greece or Spain for sun and cheap beer... some of us travel to "non-standard" destinations and need to fly from Dublin as there are more destinations served by that airport.

Diversify the destinations served by Shannon for sure, but that's not going to happen over night.

The exact pointy is why is all the focus on Dublin Airport, Munster has 2 international Airports, Connaught has 1 international Airports. Why are people travelling from say Galway to fly to Malaga to get early morning flights as Shannon flights at niight. I expect its to do with landing but its DAA/Government job. We have people running across the country and local Airports empty. I expect half of Europe holiday travel be easily managed from regional airports. Take preassure off all limited infastructure in Dublin, Aikrport, parking etc its €200+ to park in red car park for a week at the moment about £40 in Belfast international.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Because centralisation and scale mean more flights and more destinations can be offered at a lower price.

Our response to pressure on limited infrastructure should be to build more infrastructure to cope with that pressure, not try to divert it or choke it.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I would fly from a regional airport in a heartbeat, Dublin is a kip and the drive is an absolute ballache, but as it stands, most of the regional airports only serve sun destinations, apart from the likes of London, New York and a few other mainstream locations.

The problem is almost all main roads literally lead to Dublin, that's where the bulk of the population is, and that's where the "decent" flights depart from.

Boasting about getting through security at Shannon in "3mins 10 secs" isn't going to help anyone flying from Dublin because they opted for the additional choices that Dublin offers... Not everyone wants to fly to Fuerteventura from Shannon at 6.45 on a Saturday morning and be stuck there for 7 days as there is only one flight a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

> most of the regional airports only serve sun destinations, apart from the likes of London, New York and a few other mainstream locations.

Yep, the only way to get from Shannon or Cork to anywhere except the UK or a beach is to connect in Amsterdam, London or Paris , or just fly from Dublin.

And ffs, when they do run flights from Cork to Munich for instance, or indeed Zurich, its priced for business or well heeled ski traffic (mostly 300-400 return) which then just drives people to opt to fly to Dublin to have a half ways affordable flight.

Explain first line, For example Ryanair fly to Airports on the outskirts of most European cities but they cannot do in Ireland.

I expect they working on it as they opened a new facility at Shannon in recent weeks.

"Explain first line, For example Ryanair fly to Airports on the outskirts of most European cities but they cannot do in Ireland."

Perhaps because most of those cities have a population that is either close to or greater than Dublin, or perhaps because the populations of the catchment areas of those European cities certainly exceed the populations of the catchment areas of Irish regional airports.

The maintenance base means nothing for extra destinations from Shannon, they simply got a better deal on rent from Shannon Airport than their current bases, and they can poach readily trained staff from the maintenance facilities already at Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

see https://twitter.com/DASecurityTimes

Probably worth doubling those numbers, whatever tech they are using .... people on twitter this morning reporting double those times (at the times mentioned )

The number of people travelling from Munster and Connaught travelling to Dublin to travel to Malaga is crazy.

Whats happening now is clearly not working so people need to be shifted from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

a 738 can make it from Knock/Shannon to the Canaries easily, its not a runway length issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

DAA already saying staff levels next weekend will be at 70% of normal levels, with the June Bank Holiday weekend traditionally one of the busiest weekends of the year. Should be interesting…..

Its Government nonsense as for years it was compulsory for all atlantic flights to stop at Shannon, i know its a bit out of way but Limerick/Ennis/Galway/Athlone within striking distance. Shannon not under DAA.

The two transport ministers need to resign, this is going on for nearly a year and they only found out on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The problem now is folks showing up 3-4-5-6 hours ahead of departure clogging the system

They need a very clear policy that unless your flight is leaving in the next 2.5 hours (or 3.5 for US) you can't get into the terminal full stop that would help

Advertisement