Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An aspect of your demeanor that you've corrected

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

Several things but the one I’m most grateful for is completely losing the ability to hate anyone or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I'd like know more about what made you think that? It's as if for some reason you imagine that I'm tall and that my hearing isn't great. I don't know if I do that but I'll watch out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was frying an egg with my young daughter, and the egg slid over to one side of the pan. I leaned over in an exaggerated fashion to mimic the egg, just play-acting with my kid. Kind of like "Woah! There goes the egg!". She laughed, but gave me that "Oh dad!" look.

Later, while eating the egg and browsing though Boards, I happened upon this thread and I immediately thought "BH probably leans over like that, and people will be giving them that look too". Not an "Oh dad!" look, but a certain bemusement. So I just thought I'd mention it. From your reply here, it seems pretty obvious that you do, even if you don't want to admit to it, so my hunch was correct. As for your height and hearing, I have no particular preconceptions. I do imagine that you feel the cold, however.

Look, there's no judgement here. Continue leaning all you want. It would just explain some things, that's all, so it's good to be aware of it.

You could learn a lot too from the mistakes that Leo Veradkar has made over the years. Like the time Trump asked him if he played golf, and after answering 'no' he then felt pressured to say he was "always willing to learn". In reality they'd never have time to play golf together let alone the idea of Leo practising in anticipation of their next meeting. But I do get the pressure Leo felt in that moment. He didn't feel secure enough to say "no I don't play golf".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

In light of today's developments and DPP, yes. I visualise Leo kicking a pebble around his back yard today, muttering "big mistake" under his breath.

Post edited by Andrea B. on

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Paul Pogba

Used to be very bad at putting curse words unnecessarily into everything until someone pointed it out to me. Took a long time to stop doing it but have managed it without thinking about it. Now I’m starting every sentence with ‘ Arrrr sure you know’ 😖

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

When I was younger, I would offer my opinion (welcome or unwelcome) on everything. Would tend to end up in a lot of arguments. Especially with my old man. He would tend to have some particular opinions. Now I'm older and I think wiser, I don't bother responding any longer. I just accept that people have opinions and they have them for a reason. And no amount of argument (logical or otherwise) will make the slightest bit of difference. Makes for a quieter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Paul Pogba

I would have been like that myself, I’d offer my opinion on everything and anything but I know it’s my opinion only. Some people can’t accept other peoples opinion without thinking they’re fact. Leads to a lot of arguments. I prefer if someone has an opinion rather than just saying nothing but thinking something.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Leaning towards the door and I think he will have a good time with the eggs in his head.

Frying pans falling out on a table! Max lollers ! Yeah I know it’s your birthday but I think you guys should be able with me today for the weekend if you’d like to come to get out for the weekend or something for you and your dad.

Scrambled eggs lean less or at least more left than right. Yeah but it’s a nice thing for me.

Wonder if we all lean at times????? Leg’s is good for the next few years though I have to do some stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I used to be quite a big “consumer” of kiwi fruit. Loved the things. Skin and all. Then I met my current partner whom, it turns out, has quite a severe allergy to them.

Knocked them on the head, except the very odd serving when required due to an internal “plumbing” emergency.

Had to switch to latex free johnnies too, for some reason there’s a “connection” with whatever is in latex and the kiwi allergy. The things we do for love, eh?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

In the past I wanted to be liked by people in real life....now I get a kick out of being a curmudgeonly old prick in real life.

From one bad personality trait to the opposite extreme!

If everyone did everything right it would be boring too with all the PC toxic positivity smiley forced happy heads around.

"You have a nice day".....I'll have whatever **** kind of day I was going to have before your inane intervention gee shucks thanks very much etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

While no one likes an opinionated know all I find it quite hard to deal with a person that won't accept logic in an argument or make a counter point backed with something substantial but instead flies off yhe handle in the event that they are demonstrably wrong or challenged in a way they don't like.....a terrible trait for a person to have even though they can be top class people in other ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Taking the piss is a big part of Irish culture. Sly digs often presented as a valid attempt to bring somebody back down to earth. It can often take the form of talking behind people backs. Sometimes it's to goad someone into a bad reaction turning them into the villain.

'Ah sur it's only innocent teasing'.

I have grown to really dislike this in myself and others. It can easily turn toxic and erode confidence and ambition people.

Some people mistake bringing others down as building themselves up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Slagging culture is definitely something I've been trying to lean away from, unless I know it's someone with whom I have that kind of relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Christine Neville

For me, I've learned the ability to turn from being nice to being firm very quickly. Or at least that's what I'm trying. Often when you're in the head space of being nice, you can continue being nice towards someone who was unexpectedly rude. It takes a while for me to adjust. 

For example the other day this work colleague of mine returned to the office with three cans of coke. I was pretty sure one of them was for me, and was dreading it. He gave the first can to his fellow fat friend. There was just me and an electrician left for the remaining can. The electrician would be in and out of the room so I was pretty sure it wasn't for him. Standing on the other side of my monitor, the dude hands the coke to me. I say "oh, no thanks; I wouldn't drink coke". He says "you don't drink coke?" acting all surprised. Still playing nice I say "no no... I appreciate the thought though". He still keeps his hand held out, putting pressure on me, but before he even gets the chance to look at me like I've two heads, I firmly say "now take it away from me" in a lower register. I did feel a bit mean doing that! He then turns to the electrician and says "Joe, will you have a coke?" which was basically his way of saying "come on Joe, lets show this guy what a rigid twat he is". Joe also turned down the can of coke! Now the coke dude didn't take it too badly... he joked at us saying something like "well how ungrateful". Interesting that between the two of the coke drinkers, I'd say neither of them noticed at how they were both over weight, and that myself and the electrician were in good shape.

Now if that electrician had taken the coke, then the moral of the story in the mind of the coke guy would have been very different to mine. He would have thought that he'd just thought me a lesson. He'd be wrong, but it still would have made me feel awkward... like I might feel as if I'd need to say something.

Post edited by Christine Neville on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I have a work colleague who shakes his head (as if saying ‘no’) when he is actually saying ‘yes’.

Very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

I’ve reduced fapping to no more than thrice daily with max 1 time in work per day. I find I can concentrate better at my job now

I had anger issues that went away and now Im fairly placid, I dealt with them .

I used to be indecisive but now I am not quite sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

The Secret Diary of Brid Mole, aged 13 and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I don't adapt who I am or try to impress to become friendly with others

Also take it slower with new friends and relationships , no need to reveal too much about yourself immediately

You dont strike me as being the nicest of people mate however Im quite prepared to be proved wrong. Enjoy your Sunday

It's just that what you said was very vague, and almost a cliche like thing to say... no take home point for anyone reading it. Granted you mightn't want to reveal how you dealt with your anger, but give us something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Somebody once stated that english was the great “says on the tin” language. Maybe it occurred that the demeanor he got the less mean was working out for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

have suffered from severe anxiety my whole life, im now far more aware of it, and do my best to control it as best i can, yippee, go me!!!!

Excellent. I'm sure it feels empowering. Almost like a work in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

damn right it is, i didnt even have a word to describe my feelings of anxiety until my twenties, it took a therapist friend to make me aware of it, thank you friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say your students appreciate it too.

Difficult for them to learn their 2-times-tables when Mr. Grenade is up making that noise under his desk

Being able to walk away from someone is a trait I've developed. You've got to value your own time and not worry too much about whether you seem rude. It's a beautiful thing to be able to do. Before I always used to hang around feeling as if there's something else left to say at the back of my mind... which there can be. But sometimes it's best to just go. Yes, there's always the chance that they'll call you back just as you decide to go... which I assume is often their way of figuring you out. 

Or often if I bump into someone I might find that they'll talk crap for three minutes, and then just as you decide to go, only then do they bring up the one thing you're actually interested in. And later on you're left scratching your head wondering "how did I end up talking to that twat for so long when I promised I wouldn't after last time?"!

I've also adapted the habit of sometimes saying my last words of conversation as I walk off. Here is a beautiful example of what I'm talking about at the 4:00 mark:

@sam t smith The Secret Diary of Brid Mole, aged 13 and a half.

It's a very clear sign at how boardsies aren't very introspective about their own flaws that the thread 'Moron-Deal Breaker Point" has received so many posts, but yet this thread has not.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Ah don't worry Brid. I'm sure your other accounts are getting lots of replies on other threads

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Horn_of_Africa

You should try get to the root cause of it. Controlling it can cause more problems long term, as you're bottling it up. Rather than can control, let go and allow it be.

Usually, anxiety problems comes from a lack of acceptance of who you are. There are aspects of yourself you don't think are acceptable, so you hide thosr aspects of yourself. Carl Jung called this the shadow personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Correcting people

In the past I would sometimes correct people on points of information, common misconceptions etc - not as a put down or to embarrass them in a big “ACTUALLY xyz” show or anything. For my own part I prefer to be corrected if I say something wrong (who wants to go around continuing to say the wrong thing?).

Over the years however I realised that many people take offence to being corrected, regardless of how gently you do it. They see it as an insult to their intelligence (even if they’re incorrect) so unless it’s something egregious it’s better to just nod and say nothing, lest you be labelled a know it all

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

I started to apoligise when someone told me I offended them. Until I realised that this was their problem.

Sometimes when making small talk I find it hard to say something typical. Like last week for example, there was a new guy on the job recently. I was talking to him and all I could think to say was "how are you finding it?". I thought to myself he's probably sick of being asked that question, and secondly he's not going to answer honestly anyway. But if I feel I can't say that, then what's left to say? Nothing! And that's worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

There was an overtly menacing “glint” in my eye I’d been carrying around a long time now, spent a couple (of) hours at the mirror adjusting that. The angle was off; had to fetch the spirit level and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

When it comes to social/family occasions I simply don’t go to anything I don’t want to go to anymore. It doesn’t matter how much perceived “pressure” there is to attend, I’m just not going and not sending a present either.

And in actual reality nobody misses you from that function and everyone in your circle stops assuming that you will be there.

My sister's wedding is coming up next year in Spain of all places. That's right, the groom has no connection with Spain either. I'd love not to go to the bloody thing. It will cost me, that's for sure. She says "you know what, it'll be a holiday for people... that will be nice for them"! And to put it in context, about a year ago she told me during a heated argument (when my father was present) "when daddy dies, I'm not speaking to you any more".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Don’t go. Just don’t go. RSVP. Don’t give any explanation. Be pleasant and wish her well. Then just go and forget about it.

Shes your sister and you love her but you don’t have to like her and you don’t have to go to her wedding in Spain. Just don’t ruminate on it too long and don’t get drawn into the whys and why nots. She’ll get over it and if she doesn’t then it’s just too bad.

Being up front about the true nature of a call, text, or visit is something I've got better at. Sometimes if I wanted to say two matters, I'd try and act as if one of those matters was the main reason for contact, and put the real issue second to that... as if to act like I just happened to think of it at that moment. It probably seemed more obvious than I thought! As a result, the matter that I really wanted a response about would either go unnoticed, or be selectively ignored... leaving the onus on me to re-ask it!

• Advertisement

I used to discuss politics with a bit too much zeal and passion. All emotion and finger pointing especially after a few pints.

I've learned, based on my wife's feedback, to swallow my opinions and tread as lightly as a cloud when the subject comes up. Giving my opinions in a light-hearted way and try not to get sucked down the rabbit-hole.

I think every good relationship involves a bit of sanding of your partners edges.

Advertisement