Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The employment crisis in the hospitality sector.

Comments

Crisis is so bad you can get staff for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A local authority tenancy is a life tenancy.

As you earn more income, your rent increases,

But you are under no obligation to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

From 2016 notice how only 26% of households have no earned income and the median income from those living in in local authority housing is slightly above €25,000 that to me shows the majority in Social Housing work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I agree with this that the majority of social housing work which is a credit to those people but theres an ever growing Irish ethnic group who dont work - never will work and laugh at those who work to pay their Welfare which really annoys the vast majority of Irish people . Its not fair on the rest of society that one section of Irish society get everything for nothing and give nothing in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I spent loads of time behind the scenes in hospitality.

Always something incongruous about the mayhem and abuse and violence behind the scenes as against the presentation out front

Main takeaway though was that they've only themselves to blame for being short staffed

Behind the scenes, it was accepted as a given that Omnishambles was the order of the day on bank holiday weekends like Whit. I was quietly told as a customer by a manager to 'suck things up, this is the way things are on a bank holiday' about 5 years ago

DAA has a week to do some sort of quickie to clean up what it can of the current state of affairs.

Twenty years ago, the onus was completely on the passengers to suck it and see on bank holiday weekends such as this, now the shoe is on the other foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

But people who are on jobseekers' allowance still have to apply for jobs as a condition of receiving the allowance, don't they?! Even if what you said was true, surely, many people would still prefer work over welfare because of a sense of self-respect, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You make it sound like a golden path to luxury.

Dole being better than minimum wage is not impressive or outstanding.

Many countries in Europe give you 70% - 80% of your salary if you find yourself unemployed. Which is right and proper, if you work then losing your job is not a critical disaster. Anyone can lose their job, I went through redundancy twice.

So realy the dole in Ireland is miserly. Work 20 years or work a few months and you get the same

Maybe the answer is a percentage rate for workers for 12 months and a base rate for those without enough contributions. I vaguely remember a Government minister talking about this. May have been Varadker 4 or 5 years ago.

Maybe in theory.

But the two people I know on long-term JSA never seek work.

One has a golf handicap of 2.

The other has a 40,000 nixer, and drives an AUDI Q5.

I can't swear to it about the golfer, but the nixer guy for sure never seeks work, and is never questioned about it. Maybe it's because he's 60?

Post edited by Geuze on

• Advertisement

The guy I know on JSA long-term received 100,000 alone in students fees and grants.

I would not call that miserly.

Another family had to earn nearly 200k at the margin, to generate the net income to cover the same students costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

How is it grim?

Young people go to college, working in hospitality to help support themselves.

Some stay in the hospitality industry and move into supervisor/ management roles.

Others get qualifications and change career.

It's been happening like that for years.

"I'm in a great cushy job now, but in my day, I cleaned the floor, counter, washed all dirty dishes, took shtick from customers and front line staff should take this as given..."

An mindset of the management and their agents posting on this thread. The same team post a wad of positive "reviews" on Trip Advisor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Ye can have girl talk all day and play with yer Barbies but the bottom line is the parents are wrong that their kids are useless and won’t work.

Back in the day when I wanted a car I took out a credit union loan, today a car is handed to them Insuranc etc is all paid. Nip it in the bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The conditions should be improved so as not be an incredibly demeaning and abusive place to work

You're going to the wrong places.

Any hospitality places I know they have good working conditions. A mixture of the staff do the less glamorous jobs- cleaning toilets, re-stocking, washing windows etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

It's part of what I do.

I'm a health inspector.

With full respect to you as a health inspector you are not in a restaurant all day every day. All you can say is that a premises is clean.

You cant say how staff are treated or how many hours they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

C,Mon if he's in inspecting a place for even 10 minutes you get the vibe off the place.

How can you? How can a health inspector judge if working terms are bad for staff? All they can judge is the cleanliness.

Do they see staff working hours after they should have been finished? Do they know staff have been called in when they should have been on a day off?

When Inspector is there everyone is on best behaviour.

What’s demeaning about working in hospitality, or do you mean paying minimum wage is demeaning?

the treatment of staff by management in many many establishments. There is far more negatives to the jobs than simply minimum wage

I don't know.

You would love there to be a Labor Pool of Expendable Skivvies.

I'm not leaving this thread any time soon either buddy.

TBF a considerable percentage of lower paid hospitality workers are part time/students who do not view their jobs as long term careers, so it is a casual arrangement.

Also, considering no qualifications, no experience are requirements, and the ability to think is optional, most low paid hospitality jobs are quintessential minimum wage positions.

You make it sound like the hospitality sector is ran by teenagers and students wanting to make pocket money - well its not. You seem to really look down your nose on anybody who works in the industry.

Au contraire, as already stated, I worked in it myself through out college and my kids have all had part time jobs in retail/hospitality. The sector relies heavily on part time/casual labour in the lower paid jobs, students mostly, this is not difficult work, either physically or mentally.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

You seem to think no qualifications and being students is free reign to exploit them, the truth is the hospitality industry has long had this coming it's **** unpaid exploitive work that no one would take if they had any other opportunity.

The industry is fundamentally flawed and there complaints about no one wanting to work for them is and should be laughed off.

• Advertisement

If it was half as handy as you say it is, they wouldn't have such a problem finding people to do it.

And I've worked in it myself and from experience can say what you are portraying isn't accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

how is he pulling off a 40k a year nixer while claiming the dole, like what industry? Sounds like he has almost a full time job as well as signing on. AFAIK the social welfare allow you to work something like 16 or 18 hours a week and hang on to your dole but doubt they would allow someone make 40k and still hang on to it

You are a snowflake. For most of the low paid jobs in hospitality, it is work, not physically or mentally difficult work.

It isn’t exploitation to pay minimum wage for a job that requires no qualifications, no experience and requires little learning or intuition. It’s a struggle for businesses at the moment to get part time/seasonal staff for a variety of reasons, including pay rates, but that may change as costs of living continue to increase and students who are just finishing college realise that next year in college will be even more expensive. Are there a lot of other part time jobs apart from hospitality and retail?

Fundamentally flawed? Don’t be daft, it’s about providing hospitality for customers to drink pints, eat and sleep, while still trying to turn a profit. Hospitality isn’t the only sector struggling to fill vacancies, Covid and PUP payments mean lots of people still have savings and for the first time in 3 years can travel abroad. So get down off the pulpit and see this for what it is, a temporary state of flux after the biggest social and economic shock to our country in a generation.

Working in hospitality is physically tiring work. Apart from being on your feet all day the likes of chefs work under extreme pressure at peak service times and in very hot and tiny kitchens. Any job dealing with the public is mentally draining when done full time for 45 or 50 hours a week, it only takes a few arsehole customers to ruin your day and there are enough of them about to do so.

You are completely wrong in thinking the entire industry is mostly staffed by students. Go into any pub or hotel on a weekday and its not students working the shifts, its people will full time jobs in the industry. Students are used for peak times like weekends when its busier but the spine of the industry is people who arent studetnts who depend on the job to pay their rent, bills, food, etc and not just as some sideline to make some college drinking money and pay for their bus fares to college. There is around 120,000 people employed in hospitality in Ireland, at best students only make up about 25% or 30% of that number. All hotels and pubs have full time chefs, waiters, bar staff, receptionists, housekeepers and duty managers, the students are just there to supplement that for peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Easy known you've never worked in a busy kitchen if you're calling it easy physical and mental work. It is anything but.

Firstly, at no stage did I say the entire industry is staffed by students. What I said was at this time of the year many hospitality businesses rely of seasonal/part time employees in the unskilled jobs which pay minimum wage.

Just because a job is tiring does not make it a difficult job or one that requires special skills. If you struggle to deal with the public, life is going to be difficult for you because chances are no matter what you do or where you work, there will be difficult people.

• Advertisement

I’ll admit I have not, but the percentage of hospitality workers who do must be quite low relative to the overall people employed in the sector. As I said to a poster married to a chef earlier in the thread, I completely understand the necessity for training/qualifications which chefs have and why that should be reflected in their pay.

No you didnt say that, what you said was

The sector relies heavily on part time/casual labour in the lower paid jobs, students mostly this is not difficult work, either physically or mentally.

If you knew anything about the industry you would know that all the jobs are lower paid, managers are barely earning a euro or two an hour more than those they are managing.

Like I said the majority of people in the industry are working full time and are not students, they might have Monday and Tuesday off and then they work Wednesday through to Sunday every week with lots of lost time with their children. When I worked big events most of the casual staff werent even students, they were house wives who would be waitressing weddings and earning a few quid at the weekends while their husbands looked after their children. I still see that today when I go to weddings, there are students working for sure but there are also house wives too and theyre the ones running the show at any wedding venue that is worth its salt. Same with the chefs, same with the bar staff and behind the scenes the housekeepers too. You are forgetting that a hotel is a 24/7 operation, thats 168 hours a week that they need full time labour. A pub is open 98 hours a week, longer than anything in retail that opens 63 hours a week. Part timers are for peak, but full time roles are the majority. You dont run a hotel, pub or restaurant with students mostly as you said.

Tell us what or where did you work in hospitality that you found it such an easy job both physically and mentally? You certainty werent working in a kitchen thats for sure and food is the backbone of the industry, be it in pubs, hotels or restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Prior to the pandemic, long-term unemployment was at its lowest ever level at about 1 percent of the labour force. That's less than 40'000 people. It's not zero, but it was a historic low, and about as low as it gets in a developed economy. Long term unemployment was a far more acute problem in decades past.

So the 'no work ever' cohort is not in fact "ever growing" as you put it. The sentiment that it is, is more widespread than fact.

Cash-in-hand, self-employment.

The 40k is an estimate, and it is gross. There are costs to be deducted, I doubt it's 40k pure profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Have you thought about reporting him.

I think it can be done anonymously.

• Advertisement

unemployed only applies to those seeking employment

I think it is fair to say that there is a significant reduction in the staff required in a hotel between the times when the bar closes and breakfast begins. And those few that remain, what qualifications do they need? So while a hotel may be open 24/7, there are significant peaks and troughs during those hours.

In relation to students/housewives, I take your point, as I hope you will mine. This is unskilled casual work, it doesn’t require any special attributes bar the ability to pick up and drop off drinks/plates and clean up afterwards, it may be tiring, but it is not difficult, so it is typically a minimum wage-type job.

In relation to full time/part time staff, few bars/restaurants I know have more full time staff than part time. The key positions may be full time, but most of those pulling the pints and serving the customers are part timers. Most of the people who serve in weddings are not full time employees, they are casual staff who work events. No business could afford to employ the staff necessary to serve at weddings on full time contracts, and pay them during the times there are no events.

Again, I agree that positions which require qualifications, or on which the business is heavily dependent, like chefs, should be paid the going rate, but a job that a kid can do, which requires no qualifications or intuition bar repeating what you are shown to do, I don’t see why people think they are being exploited if the employer is paying what is legally required.

As to where I worked, multiple city bars, some of which served food, a large hotel on the North side of Dublin, briefly in a nightclub, and as I stated earlier, two summers on a building site. Only one of those jobs was physically difficult.

Im a snowflake? funny you reeled off the list of soft jobs you ve worked in and are upset when people tell out the truth about the industry lol

ill be plain for you so you can understand it, its a **** job thats under paid no one wants it, they don't compensate people properly for how **** the job is thus they are exploiting people, for minimum wage a person should be doing next to nothing its barely above the dole and they literally do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

The youth today are too busy sticking their arse and grim out to get that snap up on the gram or Snapchat to work while mammy and daddy drip feed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Compared to which generation? Had countless old people come in when I was working in service and retail telling me how lucky I was because those jobs weren't available when they were younger. Most Boomers didn't work jobs until they were older. Most millennials and Gen Xers I know didn't work a job until they were in their 20s. I know Gen Xers who lost their jobs during the crash and refused to work in retail or service because they felt it was below them so...I'm inclined to think many Irish mammy and daddys didn't get off their arses when they were young either.

It’s just a **** job to you, for others, like it was for me, it’s just a job, mostly without a qualification. I’m not upset, in fact I’m struggling to understand why people like you get upset at minimum wage being paid for hospitality jobs that don’t require qualifications. My “soft jobs” were typical of many, but not all in the hospitality sector, late nights, long shifts pulling pints/serving food/collecting glasses and plates/cleaning up/stocking shelves etc. You may think that’s **** work, it might be tiring, but a kid could do it.

I do agree with your last bit, the dole is too close to our minimum wage, which by European standards is amongst the highest.

Im not upset, but it does annoy me to see people getting minimum wage when what they are doing deserves more, I'm all for minimum wage when its fair. i disagree with paying people based on "who can do the job" if the work people put in is tedious and long hours and working most holidays that should factor into wages as they are giving up quite abit to do the job.

There are jobs out there worthy of minimum wage, I don't think all things considered hospitality is one of them, i think they should be at least paid a living wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I know one hospitality business that treats staff badly.. Massive staff turnover there.

They are better run places..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interesting article in the Irish Times this morning, puts a little perspective on the current crisis, some employers talking sense, others not.

In essence the sector is being currently being run by using inexperienced staff and will continue to do so for quite some time. I again reiterate the reasons for the crisis lay firmly at the door of Hospitality employer's (not all, but the vast majority). There's now another challenge, discretionary spending is reducing drastically due to cost of living crisis and gouging of epic proportions making an already bad situation, worse.

• Already deep employee dissatisfaction over a number of years.
    • Poor wages, working conditions
    • Pandemic lay offs instead of retaining staff through available wage subsidy schemes
    • Staff moved on, better opportunities, wages and hours elsewhere
    • Continued belittling of laid off staff throughout the pandemic by industry representatives
    • No planning or even desire of employers to address the situation
    • Reopen with poorly trained staff, belatedly start trying to recruit (A bit like the DAA debacle)
    • Back to work permit programs (cheap labour) which will fail.
    • Nowhere to house any potential non EU staff or indeed EU Staff.
    • Gouging of epic proportions almost immediately.
    • Customer dissatisfaction on many fronts including decreasing standards.
    • Not enough training or bothered to do so.
    • Additional costs for any potential Tourists including outrageous car hire and accommodation costs.
    • Little Tourist accommodation left available because of the refugee crisis.

What could possibly go wrong 🤔

Add into the mix increased operating costs across the board.

And yet most employers in the sector still not getting it.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Christ, you definitely haven't a clue about the demands on someone working in hospitality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement