Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I am hoping to get about 10 acres of hay done....my heart is broken looking at met eireann...looked like nice dry weather, low 20 degrees and sunny..based on their forecast yesterday, i had the contractor booked to mow the grass today....then they changed it completely for the weekend with showers...cancelled it....

You would wonder how hay was made in the past!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

It's been that way around here for a number of years now. One man gave up because of it, and a couple of others bought fusions to eliminate the need for a man on the wrapper. I think one of the issues around here is the lack of work, in so far as there's no tillage or whole crop to extend the season. It's basically grass and slurry. Even then, the weather isn't as favourable as other parts of the country, so the season is very broken. You could be flat out for a week or so, and then idle waiting for a chance for the next two weeks. It doesn't suit a lad who wants work. He'll find steadier work for more return elsewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Looking at Met Eireann app is like reading your horoscope....

Wishy washy waffle, that can apply to any day...

Sunny but maybe showery...possiblity of a rise in temp but maybe not....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

18 - 20 per acre is the exception I'd say Bass. Getting Tedding done here for 12 per acre. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

bbc weather gives a far better forecast. MET try to cover every eventuality and you end not knowing anything definite.

Lads have been recommending yr.no also but I found it hard to get it to update for Ireland.

Silage making needs only 24 - 36 hours provided the Silage is cut dry. I've always found that when cut wet it never drys properly unless it gets extra time but at that stage the quality is going down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yea it’s been like that since about this time last year and I generally would stick to the Met Éireann one now. Although Sunday night/Monday morning at 4am when I was getting into bed I checked it and we weren’t to have rain until between 2 and 3pm in the day. When I was getting up again at 6.45am it was already raining so they couldn’t even get it right 3 hours ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

If that’s the prices you’re being charged I’d imagine it’s in house you need to be looking at rather than the contractor. To me that seems like a f**k off price. For whatever reason he doesn’t want to do your work so instead of saying no he’s just charging you enough so he’s making enough out of you to compensate for whatever reason he doesn’t like you.

Maybe it’s something like the attitude from you towards the contractor in that post that’s the problem? Whatever it is it’s costing you money anyway.

€10 - €12 per acre for tedding or raking would be the going rate for majority of contractors in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was second hand for tedding. But Teddi g as 16/ acre last year if I remember right locally. I was quoted the raking price as the contractors locally seem to be moving away from a price/ bale. Unfortunately one of the first to cut so hard to know yet.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Weather models struggle with shallow troughs and result in forecasts that flip flop. The weather forum on boards can be good to get an understanding of the big picture. Wish it was as busy as the UK forums though. Worth following the model discussions on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If I was to bet on hay weather at the start of the year, I'd say mid june - mid july is when it would come.

• Advertisement

So what's the consensus on tedding? Worth while or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The wet in the cells of the grass is much worse than the wet that falls on the swart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It is here too ….some fairly far fetched rates quoted in this thread for taking and tedding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Well worth it especially if in a bale …..pit crews hate them as hard spread a heavy crop …but at end of day it’s your silage ….Tedder’s have come along way …need a good pilot tho …slow forward speed good revs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Good advice, I opted away from a tether as I do be spreading fert or spraying the day before drawing bales. Contr mowed another bit this evening on a windy hill, sward tom afternoon and bale Thursday before the rain....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do none of your contractors use the vanes to spread it out when mowing? Should be enough of a spread without the need to ted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

+1 on the bales. No comparison in grass that’s tedded and that just raked up into 30’ row with no tedding.

but weather is the key regardless and once it’s mowed dry and gets good weather afterwards, then its easy work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Any prices for silage yet

I'm told inc vat

25 mowing

135 raking, harvester, 4 trailers & loader

160 for long draw >7km

???? Baling bales Inc plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

140 for long draw. Mowed ourselves so taking 165 /ac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

€150/AC here at the weekend. Short draw and cutting included. The spike in diesel would easily add a €5/ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

Lads, what is a reasonable cost of silage ready to cut in terms per round bale cost.

It has 3000 slurry and 3 bags fert at 1000 ton.

I said something around 24 bale for the standing grass he pays cutting ect... And he almost collapsed....

That's an excessive amount of fertilizer after 3k slurry, either the land must be piss poor or you have overdone it.

Any half decent silage ground should grow a crop with 3k slurry and 1.5 bags, this puts the average fertilizer/slurry costs at around €12/bale, but you are at €20/bale on fertilizer alone. So you'd need to be getting €25/bale and he pays for baling.

imho it's a pure madness system at them costings. Yes Beef prices have risen by about a 1/3 across the board but all input costs are up 3X

It was probably three bags of can or cut sward.if it was great it was over kill. If the slurry was spread with a splash plate he be about 90-95 units/ acre. It would be kind of bang on the money for a crop.

However I cannot fathom lads that use CAN and Cut Sward on first cut. I have always used Urea. If the slurry went out with a dribble bar 1.5 bags of urea/ acre gives you a crop.

My fertlizer cost would be 14-15/ bale @8/ acre Inc slurry spreading costs.

Slava Ukrainii

At current fertilizer prices I'd be forgetting about getting a bang out of bag fertilizer, yes you'll have a fast crop but at hat cost? I'd even go as far as saying that on good ground with 3k slurry you'd get away with a half bag of Urea or CAN and wait an extra week or two

I have stores and feed no ration over the winter. Feed value reduced fast from early June on. 25th of May is earliest I cut it and I always try to get It by 5-7th June at latest.

Last year my feed costs were about 90c/ day Inc mins and vits if I cost my silage at 37/ bale this year it's will be 1.2-1.3/day.

If I had to feed 1-2 kg of ration because of poorer quality silage it would add 40-80c/ day to feed costs.

Fertlizer is still better value than ration when you are storing cattle over the winter. Stores gain 3-500 grams per day on this system so it's on the money

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

My neighbour who buys in his silage and who would not be taken for a fool paid 45 euro all in delivered .400 bales 18 k he is in dairy ,I suppose it would have to discounted to 35 if he was at beef!!!

How do you know what fertiliser to put on and how much and when?

I'm looking at this site. Are people testing soil every few years and then doing calculations on the right fertiliser for N, P, K?

Or do you just have a general rule....i.e 3.5 bags per acre of Urea for silage. And then 18-6-12 for grazing.

And I don't understand the units talk?

I'm trying to learn this stuff and it's so damn confusing 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I may be reading this wrong but if allowing a bale last winter to cost €37/bale then a bale is feeding 41 stores per day. I had weanlings here last winter that when through more silage a day than that.

• Advertisement

Grass silage will take up on average 2.5kg/ha/day of N (2units/day), therefore apply N at least 50 days before cutting to ensure full crop N ...

Can someone explain this?

Advertisement