Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the feminine form of the name 'Eoghan'?

Options
  • 09-05-2022 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'd like to know the feminine form of the name 'Eoghan'. Does it exist? Is it different from the masculine form?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

In Scotland they have Eoina. Haven't heard a version in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Haven't heard of it but given the translation of Eoghan is Eugene would it be the Irish translation of Eugenie as above?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Síobhain is the feminine version of Eoghan.

Same route from Latin for John.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

Eogheen

It probably doesn't actually exist as a name but that doesn't stop half of South County Dublin when they are picking Irish names for their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 GA525G

Eoghan =/= Eoin

They are different names. Eoin is the Irish equivalent of the Biblical John - "John the Baptist" is "Eoin Baiste" in Irish, "Pope John Paul" is "Pápa Eoin Pól", the "Gospel of John" is "Soiscéal Eoin".

Seán is derived from the French version of that name, Jean, introduced to Ireland by the Normans.

Eoghan is usually associated with the name Eugene, not John.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

My name is Eoin, I was recently thinking it’s possibly a stupid name which is illogical when pronounced pheonetically and I theorised that it was replaced by Eoghan by old Irish speakers because that made sense at least with pronounciation. Happy to hear that’s not the case 😊

Advertisement