Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,757 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Finally, things started to move. Friday's email:

We wish to confirm that your application has passed the first stage of processing and is now moving to the final stage. The certificates you have submitted will now be checked to ensure they meet the safety standards required and we will proceed with the payment once this has been confirmed.

Please note payments generally take between 4 to 6 weeks from this stage in the process.

So worst case scenario - mid July, I'd say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Legal requirement under IS10101.

Technically a cert is required and that cert will detail the date of install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

It's hard for something to be a legal requirement that isn't published publically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How’s that ? You need to be qualified to do a install. The install would know it snd gave access to publication

Is it illegal for a non reci certified person to carry out domestic electric work?

• Advertisement

the installation of a charger does fall under restricted works, you can do work that doesn’t fall Under restricted works

Restricted Electrical Works under the Electricity Regulation Act 1999, as amended, are defined as electrical works that can only be carried out and must be certified by a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).

When it involves direct connection to the Consumer Unit or the Meter Cabinet, yes, it is illegal.

Interesting, til, seems anything that involves a new connection to the consumer board is restricted work. Surprised this isn't more of a talking point for the DIY solar installations?

People are probably not talking about it as it’s illegal and therefore shouldn’t be talking about it on a public forum 😉

Some people are simply putting a plug into the end of their invertor and plugging it in.

• Advertisement

That seems even more dangerous, by pass RCBs and circuit protection resulting in a live circuit that otherwise should not be. I guess it's legal though and it's not like you're getting more that 10amps current from vast majority of installs most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭micks_address

had an electrician out to look at our installation. Wire from meter to fuse board needs to be upgraded and new earth wire fitted. Ballpark 1500 for upgrading wires, and fitting the VW charger which im supplying - sound about right?

get a second opinion. There’s some dodgy installers out there looking to upsell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Sounds very high to me. How old is your house?

Built 1980.. about 1k for the earth rod and upgrades of wires..have someone else looking at it during the week..if they call

Another electrician called today. Wires need upgrading from meter to fuse box. Also a new earth to hotpress..he also reckons he will need to replace any metal faced light switches with plastic ones and metal light fixtures with plastic ones as they won't have an earth..says once the meter is unsealed house needs to be recertified. Sounds messy. Anyway he doing me up a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Have an eo mini pro 2 fitted and now thinking of getting solar PV panels. Can the solar functionality be retrofitted to it? I think it's just a CT clamp that you need to enable it to talk to the solar system

Theres support for a second clamp so should be fine. You can get them here

Theres settings in the installer app that you might need configured.

looks like this is the latest guidance in installs of ev chargers from the meter box

Unsure if this means i can get this done rather than upgrading tails?

It would also not be permissible to connect an EV charger VIA the Meter Cabinet for the following reasons:

• Pre-Pay Meter installed inside the property.

• It is not possible to switch off the supply at the Meter / Contractor Isolator

• Insufficient space in the bottom right-hand side to fit the Mains Protective Device only.

• Existing installation is not adequate to sustain the new load. Minimum of 12KVA 16sq tails + bonding

Does that last point mean that even with older tails in my house - I can't ask for a meter box install anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭PenguinForce

How long does it take for them to process the application? I stupidly left the envelope under a pile the last 2 months.

I sent over to them by post mid last month and the due date is July 5th. I imagine it shouldn't take them 2 months to receive it.

• Advertisement

Interesting that contractors are now allowed (always where says some) to install an IP55 mini fuse box in the cabinet. When I posted up some photos of my cabinet some months ago folks where having conniptions.

Honestly, If I was in your position and assuming I could afford it, I would look to get the electrics up to code. Some of the issue's you called out seem like real problems in general.

Yep no point trying to take short cuts with it. Will post on how I get on.. hopefully get sorted in next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Not to supply an EV charge point. That must be installed externally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Looking for people's opinions here. I've gotten two similar quotes (€1200 before grant) for install from different providers (both have been mentioned favourably earlier in this thread). One is for an Ohme Home Pro 2, the other for a Wallbox Pulsar Plus. House has an electric shower (so load balancing required), but no heat pump, and no solar at present, but I may consider that in time which would see an added benefit with the Wallbox option, as it apparently has support for solar input.

So just looking for opinions, given the above, and all else being equal, would anyone have any feedback on either charger, or indeed a recommendation of one over the other? Or any gotchas with either for that matter?

Apparently the Ohme will be releasing an software upgrade that does solar.

Wallbox Pulsar. PV integration built in and a handy app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Hmm, that would obviously level the playing field somewhat. I believe the Ohme is entirely SIM driven for connectivity, and I'm informed that while this is paid for 3 years, Ohme will absorb the cost after that, but I'm unsure as to how "binding" of a commitment that may be. The Wallbox on the other hand is, as far as I know, WiFi connected for its smart features, so doesn't have that issue, but is also dependent on no issues with that.

Actually, looking back over the original automated email quotes, the provider selling the Ohme also provided one for a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, but €100 more expensive than the other one I'm referencing here, so that seems to swing in favour of the Wallbox quote I referenced above too.

Good to get a solid comment RE the app, My mother got a home charger installed recently, some no-name brand that the local electrician had, and the app for it strikes me as being pretty abysmal. I'm a firm believer that feature complexity done (too) cheap is worse than just going without!

• Advertisement

Ev charger being installed today. God that new tails cable is heavy. Not easy to bend or do anything with. Fingers crossed no extra surprises.

Advertisement