Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can't really do that. The dealer can choose to fix your car, replace it or give you a refund, but it's their choice. They will no doubt choose to fix it. You will have to allow them a reasonable time to do this. You can of course (and should) set a reasonable deadline either in email or registered post. Something like 6 weeks or 2 months after which you want a full refund. Do you really want this though - there is a long waiting list for most new EVs now. If there isn't enough progress / communication from the dealer in the meantime, contact BMW Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I have legal advice that says otherwise but will see how it plays out

You contact BMW Ireland yet? Imho legal advice is a complete waste of money unless you really want to pursue a refund.

Yes, I left feedback via BMW Ireland outlining the poor customer service. They didn't respond although next day the dealer did call me.

I've not spent any money on legal fees as I'm related to one!

Haha, fair enough 😁

Hope it all works out for you in a reasonably satisfactory way. A terrible experience when you spend a very large amount on a brand new car that is supposed to be perfect for your use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Keans BMW right now

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

BMW Customer Service!

As you know I order exact same as you except in August last year and was originally told February, you ordered yours in December and got yours already.

I've had to get my current car serviced, NCT, new shock, re-NCT & taxed since then.

I've rang 4 times and emailed 3 times to ask how this could happen and when I'm getting mine - no replies to the emails and every call has been answered with - its not something we have seen happen before and we are looking into it and will get back to you in the next week/by the end of the week/by the end of the day - only to never get a reply.

The dealer in fairness has sent me an update this week with a screenshot indicating it is at stage 182 - Handover to carrier/load assignment dated 24/05.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its a tricky business

But.....

1) the clock is already ticking on reasonable time to achieve a fix.

2) yes a replacement EV will take time but the legal position (strictly speaking) and how BMW should address this aren't quite the same thing.

Legal stuff is the bare minimum BMW need to offer by law.

However there is another element to this

Management of customer goodwill and brand perception.

Yes perhaps legally BMW can decide that the solution is a replacement car and not a refund.

BUT as a premium manufacturer in this scenario then they should from a customer relations viewpoint.

Engage with the customer to find a solution that the customer is happy with.

This might even involve a deal for an ICE BMW of same value if the customer is turned off the EV thing*.

Where a full refund is useful is that you can buy anything you like afterwards so the EV supply issues aren't a barrier.

You can run out and buy a 12 k Toyota Avensis and on the same day order up any car you want (EV or not).

*if you've had 9 ICE BMWs with no issues and the 10th lemon one is your first EV then you might feel the EV stuff is the issue. As opposed to BMWs in general.

I very much doubt anyone has had 9 ICE BMWs from recent times with no issues 😂

Agree with the essence of your post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I really hope they get this sorted out in a timely manner for you, I had an issue with my first Ev in 2019 when the car was delayed in Transit & had a minor MCU issue and i was only told about it the day before pick up, after kicking up a bit of a fuss with the manager in Sandyford Tesla gave me a similar spec demo Model 3 for 7 weeks until my car was repaired, they did offer me my money back but i declined. So surely BMW Ireland can get this issue sorted asap for a long standing customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

If anyone wants an m50 model right now, Conlan's in limerick have a fully loaded portimao blue one for sale in the showroom. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I thought the poster whose having the issues mentioned that he'd owned 10 BMWs and that this was the 1st one to have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Is it for sale or is it waiting collection?

They told me that there are none available at the moment e40 or M50 and that it would be at least next year before getting one. I stuck my name down for an M50 with them.

Appeared to be for sale as it had the spec up beside it with all the options on it and the asking price.

It is on 20" wheels which really improve the stance. pity they reduce the range so much.

If it is sold they shouldn't have it out on display to be pawed at by all. I certainly wouldn't be impressed if it was my car.

How much?

That's a bit odd considering they have a waiting list for the M50s as well as the e40s.

I wonder if it's a demo model. Was it the matte paint finish. The matte paint is a bit pricey as a 3.5k option. Plus maintenance is a pain or so I hear. 🤣

The 20inch wheels really kill the range. But they do look lovely.

How much?

89k approx was the price.

from memory, car was regular portimao blue with 20" wheels. It had the upgraded M bucket seats in black, visibility pack, tech plus pack, sunroof. Not sure if comfort pack. If not a customer car maybe a cancelled order?

That's less than €10k below a Taycan (with no options). I think I would save for another few months and buy the Porsche instead 😂

I was thinking the same. LoL. But that sort of thinking in dangerous.

One of the reasons I am going for the M50 is that once I specced up an e40 there was only 6k difference, so going another bit for the M50 made sense.

Hah... no way, no BMW owner ever been that lucky.

I had the turbo fail twice in an E46 320D (not a petrol head car but I loved that coupe) - thankfully it was under warranty.

I had an engine failure twice in an F36 that broke my heart and left me down at the side of the road in the pissing rain but the service and response from Morrisons was excellent.

A few other minor issues with BMWs over the years but nothing too serious.

The issue for me is in no way that the car has proven to be defective - **** happens, cars are built with faulty parts, or develop them over time due to poor design or stress or fatigue, software and firmware contain bugs and you have to expect issues with any first gen of a vehicle - that really doesn't bother me at all.. it's the manner in which I've been treated by the dealer and the lack of response from BMW Ireland after purchasing a car with a tag over 80K that I had for less than a week.

I've been shouted at over the phone by the sales manager due to what I can only assume was his frustration with the detailer. His frustration was understandable but the way he shouted at me was unacceptable.

Broken down and left at the side of the road for 4 hours - had to make my own way home after being told a rental would be sorted in 2 hours - no call back, no response, nothing. Taxi expenses still awaiting refund 4 weeks later.

Ignored and not received any response from after sales for days, had to chase again and again for updates and when they came they didn't often make sense. Doesn't seem like there is any sense of urgency. I just don't believe that if they really wanted to get this sorted that this timeline needed to be as extended as it has been and continues to be.

Oh and a mechanic/ technician sitting on the bonnet of the car smoking a cigarette - I don't care if it's a used or new car - shows an utter lack of respect for the car and a disregard for anyone who takes pride in the appearance of their vehicle.

Left another voicemail today and a got a call back this afternoon informing me that a "special/ testing" cable of some sort now needs to come from the Germany and wont arrive until Friday (is it too much to ask that shipping would be expedited/ overnighted?).

A senior engineer also has to come from Dublin (I was told he was on holiday last week and that's why he could not come), he's only back at work since yesterday I'm told but can't come until the cable is there and so that will be next week after the bank holiday.

Not much urgency in any of that from my point of view - I struggle to believe a cable could not have been sourced sooner and that's there's only one person in the country who would be qualified to work on the car - maybe I'm wrong?

So it will be another 2 weeks at best I'd imagine.

I really should have walked away after the sales manager shouted at me but my decision was clouded by my desire for the car that I'd waited 6 months for, that and the money I'd spent on the GTechniq coating - lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You know really its all about the experiance isn't it. Buying an expensive new car is a really special occasion and I can see how this has sullied it for you. Its all about customer service isnt it. THings go wrong but I always feel people need to tell you whats going on, when its going to happen and then do what they say. People who say they will call you and dont is the pits, make you look like a annoying customer cause you always calling when your actually just following up like you were asked to.

Get your car back, then vote with your feet. And tell everyone that will listen to you about your experiance. Personally I never found BMW customer service that great, and staff turnover very high making being loyal totally pointless. Bought from every dealer in Dublin and few outside and all the same really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d park a transit across their gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I think i would bypass the dealer completely at this stage, they have been given every opportunity to get things moving and their communication has been poor.

i had a issue with Mrsblings 5 series few years back and was getting little or no joy from the dealer so i went down the route of writing to BMW Ireland and UK listing my problems and quoting the registration of every Bmw i has over the last 25 years ( 9 by the way ) and what a loyal customer i was in a matter of fact way and not in an aggressive tone or threatening legal action and things changed very rapidly.i backed this up with phone calls to them also and eventually got a name of somebody that could get things moving.

within days all was sorted.

i know its a pain in the ass and you shouldnt have to do the chasing but at present it could be another month the way things are going.

On the comments re the sale of goods act i am fairly sure if you wanted BMW would offer a full refund if it was demanded, they surely dont need the publicity etc associated with a new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

You get absolutely nothing with the Porsche though, I just couldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Same. I priced the Taycan to a similar spec to the i4 I've ordered and it was 35K more expensive. I was shocked at how basic the Taycan was with no extras.

You still get a Porsche. A very large one, but still one that looks and feels and drives like a Porsche. Which is superior to any BMW. And with a long range and super fast charging. And tiny depreciation.

It's not fast but neither is a i4 M50 really if you compare them to the faster Teslas...

looks like around 140 BMW i4 have been registered in 2022 on Beep Beep car stats year to date, anyone here get one yet and how are are you getting on with it? whats the real world range etc are you happy and how does it compare to other previously owned EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Faster Teslas? As in the model S? Can you even order them now? I’d have no interest in a second hand one for similar price.

As for the Porsche, yes it’s a Porsche but you can’t afford one unless you can afford to tick a good few of those options. Lowest I could spec a RWD to is €115k.

As far as i can tell, the model 3 Performance, Model X & model S are all faster than the i4 even in M50 specification

• Advertisement

My previous car (8 year old Tesla Model S) had similar acceleration as the i4 M50 and a lot quicker than Taycan base model. Any newer than that Performance Model S is a lot quicker than my old car was.

Sold it for €36k, so well less than half of what an i4 M50 costs. Straight line speed is not the be all and end all of course, but it is good to know what's what. I'd rather own a base Taycan than my old Tesla, for sure 😁

Advertisement