Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You're on a thread where innocent kids lost their lives in a school shooting and yet you casually wonder how you could make an arty photo of your guns.....

Ever considered that your attitude may be part of the problem? Because if you haven't then you really should.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Considered....

And rejected. Taking photos of firearms in an artistic environment doesn't make them, or anyone else, more dangerous. And I didn't bring up arty photos to begin with, it was a response to someone who linked to a thread of them.

Canada bans handgun sales and ownership of assault rifles. This is how you change things. You slowly change the culture and acceptability of gun fetishes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/30/world/canada/canada-gun-buyback.html

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Some schools have taken action. I presume these signs predate recent events in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So have any bipartisan initiatives been proposed since the shooting at all? The arming teachers as crazy as it sounds may be an american solution for an american problem but that probably isnt possible in all states so i wonder what the republicans or pro gun lobby is priposing for those states?

• Advertisement

Any action apart from support legislation that will reduce gun ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

apparently not

White Settlement, Texas - Wikipedia

Two members of the city's West Freeway Church of Christ were killed by a gunman on December 29, 2019, during a morning service. The shooter was in turn killed by a church member. [12]

Well I assume they support the status quo here so it's hard to know what to say. They shouldn't expect a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

@Manic Moran As for securing them all, I don't know about most other folks, but my safe is still the same if I use it to store one gun or ten. My experience tends to be that collectors tend to keep their firearms fairly secure, the 'stolen' guns are usually that one-off kept by a non-enthusiast in their dressing table and the like, picked up by opportunity during a burglary. It's not just a 'safety' thing, the only thing more financially valuable in my house is the wife's wedding jewelry.

The point I was trying to make was that 40 guns don't make the individual more of a risk, they can't use them all. The only situation where they're more of a risk is when they're stolen and distributed to multiple new owners with bad intentions.

I also pointed out that I thought it was irresponsible that people with a single shotgun in Ireland don't have to have a safe. I think everyone should have their gun/s behind some kind of security. I bought a safe at the same time as my first shotgun and I've only increased the security from there.

I don't know exactly where the law sits on this in the US, but it seems like irresponsible storage only becomes an issue after someone gets hurt or killed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

What should they be armed with? Many of the shooters in the USA have used assault weapons, like the AR-15 in Texas. SWAT uses assault weapons to confront suspects that may be armed in like fashion. Should teachers?

Some of the shooters have used body armor. So does SWAT. Should teachers?

I am currently a university TA. What a fashion statement it would make to enter my classrooms armed with an assault rifle and 30 shot clip strapped to my back? Looks in wardrobe. It’s Tuesday. Is this an AR-15 day? Or should I pick another with a bump stock? And I have a new Kevlar vest in pink that would contrast fashionably with the black AR.

What if most teachers (like me) refuse to be armed when teaching? Would we be fired? Excuse the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Arming teachers is ok but what about training them? You hardly want untrained student and untrained teacher shooting wildly at each other with high risk of collateral damage/casualties.

Maybe the solution is to replace teachers with soldiers from the army/police officers? They might be dumb as rocks in terms of educating but they know how to shoot which is most important it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

In Ireland we realised that society changes over time and a constitution drawn up in a different era doesn’t reflect modern Ireland.

I accept however that Americans feel bound by a constitution hundreds of years ago that as you say cannot be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

They could use the prison blueprint to secure schools.

Heavily fortified buildings, large, armed security staff that are present everywhere, locked doors that can only be opened by security staff in armoured control rooms and teachers, cleaning and lunchroom staff also armed.

I'm sure there are many republicans who already have some very good pals that would only be too happy to bribe their way into a contract.

This would then tie in nicely into the gated communities that the well-off will use to shield themselves from the riffraff that live in the third world part of the US.

The US will just be a small elite that uses fortification and armed security personnel to isolate themselves from the rest.

Then the US will finally resemble Brasil. A third world sh*t show.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

True, I suspect for two reasons.

Firstly, any storage laws tend to be 'loose' to begin with. For example, California's only makes unsafe storage a criminal act if a minor obtains a firearm and commits an unlawful act with it. Minors can, and have, gone to get firearms in order to protect themselves or their parents, the law was written to reflect this possibility.

The other is that it's impossible to enforce until after the fact of something going wrong. Police can't see if you're storing your firearm in accordance with the law (4th Amendment), it will only come to their attention after something happens which brings them to it in the course of an investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's not really a solution. Teachers are supposed to teach. Once you start talking about having to neutralise armed intruders, you're going into the realm of a whole other job which would require another set of qualifications and training. Also, I would argue that if you're charged with the responsibility of defending the lives of your students with lethal force if necessary, you'd be entitled to a significant bump in pay.

But all of this is just rearranging the deck chairs and skirting the real issues. It's fundamentally f*cked up that you can't go about your daily business as a peaceful citizen without the nagging fear of being actively targeted and killed by an armed maniac, and it's even more f*cked up that this phenomenon is a regular occurrence in the USA, and for all intents and purposes a normalised one. Normalised enough that any one of these events, no matter how heinous, creates no significant change to prevent them happening again. What the hell has gone wrong in the minds of Americans that this is even a thing?

More guns cannot be the answer. It contravenes the first law of holes, i.e. "When you're in a hole, stop digging." Get rid of the guns or get rid of the maniacs. One or the other or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So there's no equivalent of a crime prevention officer coming to inspect your safe. I'm guessing taking the line that inspecting the premises for safe storage is a reasonable search would only bounce the issue back to the second amendment where it would be argued that it was an obstruction to the right to bear arms?

No, it's a 4th Amendment issue. Government can't go around your property without some justification such as an articulable reason that a crime is being committed. Same reasoning why police can't ask someone if they have a permit for the gun that you are carrying if it's a place that people are licensed to carry guns. Not a 2A thing.

Two examples, one from Massachusetts, one from Pennsylvania.

"mere possession of a handgun was not sufficient to give rise to a reasonable suspicion that the defendant was illegally carrying that gun, and the stop was therefore improper under Fourth Amendment principles."

"As set forth, above, it is not a criminal offense for a license holder, such as Hicks, to carry a concealed firearm in public.Although the carrying of a concealed firearm is unlawful for a person statutorily prohibited from firearm ownership or for a person not licensed to do so, see 18 Pa.C.S. §§ 6105 -06, there is no way to ascertain an individual's licensing status, or status as a prohibited person, merely by his outward appearance. As a matter of law and common sense, a police officer observing an unknown individual can no more identify whether that individual has a license in his wallet than discern whether he is a criminal. Unless a police officer has prior knowledge that a specific individual is not permitted to carry a concealed firearm, and absent articulable facts supporting reasonable suspicion that a firearm is being used or intended to be used in a criminal manner, there simply is no justification for the conclusion that the mere possession of a firearm, where it lawfully may be carried, is alone suggestive of criminal activity."

The 4th is taken quite seriously by the courts, and you can imagine that if that's the sorts of protection given to the individual in public, that they'll be even more strict to the home. It's why the whole 'let's ban guns' thing hasn't a hope of removing the firearms from circulation. There is no way of enforcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well good to know the US has layers of protection in case enough people who actually wanted to stop these shootings got into power.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That is absolutely the direction they are going.

The GOP are massively against Public Education (their whole "I'm not paying for someone else" deal) so they are pushing to defund Public education and cut taxes "to allow Parents to make their own choices" and use that money for Private schools , in other words "Poor people - Screw you!"

The mouthpieces were on Fox News the day of the shootings pushing Private schools as the solution as they had better security etc. etc.

Abbot has already indicated that if Roe vs Wade gets shot down as expected that he plans to use the language in the dissent to allow him to stop funding Public schools in Texas.

• Advertisement

Really squeeze that underclass and make their lives progressively sh*tter and sh*tter. When's that ever eventually spurred a revolution except every time ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Be interesting to see if the police actually face any repercussions for not entering the building quickly enough. It may effect whether teachers would volunteer to be responsible for holding the guns in their school. Like if a teacher has that responsible to protect the school and fail to engage a shooter wearing body armour and armed to the teeth, could the teacher be fired/ be charged with some crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

It seems different in the US. The more the Reps whip their voters in the lower classes, the louder they scream to be whipped harder and harder. I've seen way too many comments along the lines of "I'm not paying for YOUR healthcare, education, social welfare" (ESPECIALLY not for free money for freeloaders) or whatever else. It's usually the gun-toting, bible-bashing, MAGA Q crowd. The important thing for them is not just their "freedom", (racism and sexism) guns and bible, the important thing is that The Libs (poor people, young people, anyone not white or a religious fundamentalist) also suffer.

It is similar to the followers of Mussolini or Hitler or any number of cults. The pereception of being "great" again outweighs any real-life gain or loss. It's about being part of a movement. Ironically, any decent, halfway honest government would have been overturned a log time ago. Because this only works with authoritarian regimes, just look at the Philippines or Brazil. Cult of personality will have people suffer any sh*t-show, as long as their leader is in power. People seemingly want ignorant sh*theads in governemnt. Must be some recessive monkey gene.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would certainly expect some media style blow back. If they can't blame the doors for getting kids shot they will happily blame a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Teachers are usually clever, people friendly, caring, so even when armed , they'd come off worse when facing a killer with a AR15, they'd be lucky to even get a shot off. Teachers aren't killers, soldiers, they're teachers. Security is key, no one should be able to just walk into a school. But out in these small town schools they don't obey the rules, they leave doors open.

That only works up until the point that daily life becomes untenable and public discontent overwhelming. One thing that many people must have noticed is that it's no longer just the American left who are railing against the societal failings of economic neo-liberalism and unregulated markets. It was a big part of Trump's platform, promising to bring back jobs from China and revitalise parts of America decimated by the exportation of labour, for example. That rugged individualism which gives succour to the more obnoxious forms of right-wing politics will not give infinite room to beat people down. It'll give room up to a point and then break quite rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So? Someone left a door open. Honest mistake, might've been trying to cool the place down as, if you might not know this, Texas is really hot this time of year.

The locked door didn't stop Adam Lanza.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didn't say it cannot be changed. I said the government can’t just change the constitution.

In case you didn't realize that also applies to Ireland. The people can change the constitution via a majority referendum, the government cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So glamorous photos of guns doesn't glamourise guns or gun ownership?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Thanks but I do know how our constitution works, and btw I never said the US government should change the constitution, I just said it should be changed.

Advertisement