Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There are various ways that they could bring in an increased charge for powering your ev.

It could be just based on overall useage so a household gets so much standard rate units and pay heavy tax on anything over that.

Government being government would likely trigger the increased rate on direct useage not allowing for anything fed back.

They could also trigger high rate as soon as a wallbox is used via any form of data link.

I guess the main point here is that if an increased electricity charge is the way they go, people should be looking at solar pv with a completely different set of calcs. The payback time on pv based on very high electricity costs would be very short indeed and a complete no brainer.

I have large south and west facing roofs. That corner is an absolute suntrap so would be ideal.

I spend over 3k per year on petrol currently so really a nice ev and enough solar to run it should be the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There was something about this in the UK a while back, because all the chargers have an internet connection to get the OLEV grant then there was the potential they could report EV charging usage and that could be taxed or charged extra

It would never work, there's nothing to stop an EV owner just disconnecting the charger from the internet or using a granny cable, then there's no way to differentiate between the house and the EV

Where I could see a tax being introduced is on DC chargers. Since they tend to push up peak demand they're often powered by gas turbines (assuming they don't have batteries) and might be liable for carbon tax as a result

As to whether we're in the golden age of EV ownership, yes in many ways we are. Subsidies and discounts are already being rolled back, and there's no doubt there'll be a new road tax system for EVs soon, it won't be a flat 120 forever. My guess would either be a tax by mileage or vehicle size, since emissions isn't really a factor anymore

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Best to check the ID.4 thread

But as an owner for the past year here's the quick summary

Car is great, easy to drive, buckets of range, comfortable and plenty of space

Technology is not as great, the software is fine, basically everything works, but there's a lot of functions are poorly implemented and annoying to use. It is getting better, but very slowly

If I were buying again I'd test drive a Kia EV6, IMO it's the superior car at the moment with better software, faster DC charging and the V2L addon

Arrived home with 8% remaining on the Leaf one time, GOM had given up and was showing --- km remaining

That's the closest I've ever been to actually running out. I'll admit I was a tad nervous as to whether I'd make it or not but there were several chargers within reach anyway

I had a disaster travelling home down the M1 one time. Basically the only charger I could reach was the EasyGo one in Lidl Drogheda and I got stuck behind an I-Pace and and E-Tron waiting to charge 🙄

I didn't have enough battery left to be sure I'd reach Lusk services without running out so I'd no choice but to sit and wait. My wife was understandably unimpressed with the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of golden age for EVs possibly, I mostly consider it as a tax dodge, low tax, very cheap to refill, dodging all fuel duties and taxes and vat, half price tolls which are due to go away soon.

Main issue is public charging is lacking behind demand at peak times, so there is a downside particularly on very long trips with a small battery EV. It could be argued it's a help only to middle classes who own their own home, have a driveway and have the budget to buy an EV.

Long term road tax (remember they never set EVs to zero road tax, just discounted), mileage based on NCT readings or self declared during motor tax renewal. It's a thing brought up regularly that the fuel taxes and new car sales taxes income will need to come from elsewhere. So grab it which you can and solar panel grants may be reduced in the coming years too, an EV is a great way to soak up excess solar. They already removed grants from home solar batteries, so a much larger EV battery makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The avoided carbon tax fines will replace the monies alluded to in previous posts. In the longer term, a healthier and therefore cheaper public to "treat". Need a wider view on this transition

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have a smart meter. And in my “insights”’it tells me how many kWh went into the car.

Here’s the problem, during that period I never plugged in!

My guess is that the meter sees the house load during sunny days, it sees the load to the battery, the eddi and possibly a cooler or something and thinks it’s a car charging :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I do about 12000km per year.

That would be €300 per year if my sums are good?

I was doing some ABRP planning today and noticed that it picked Tesla SuC chargers in the UK both directions

Obviously ones that have been opened up since it knows my car (ID.4) and wasn't using them until recently

One thing I'm wondering is if ABRP favours Tesla sites since it was originally designed for Tesla owners? I haven't set Tesla to preferred in any of the settings so it should be default

Or does it just go for largest number of chargers en route, which tends to be Tesla sites anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Plenty of info on PV in the renewable forums or feel free to PM me. I'm afraid your 3 panels, while great for taking care of the base load of your house during much of the day, they won't be able to do much towards charging your car. But there is nothing stopping you from expanding what you have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Saw my first Merc EQE out on the road earlier, prob a test drive from the local dealership. Did not look particularly impressive at all, surprisingly small with an odd stubby boot. If I knew nothing I'd think 50/60k rather than the mad money they actually are.

I've seen a couple of EQSs on the road and while I don't really like the styling at all, they do look a bit fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Driving a 30KW LEAF to Amsterdam?

Vantage Point shows how it's done.

https://youtu.be/T917i_8yfmw

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

I used to work with a guy who drove a Leaf40 from Ireland to Finland with his family

He said it was grand as long as you're willing to take your time. He did roughly one fast charge per day and an overnight charge, so pretty relaxed

Samih of this parish? He did dump the Leaf for a Tesla since though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I'm currently waiting on a PV install (or upgrade more like it) and went for as much as I could. Probably more than we'll use at least for a few years but partly based on the assumption that the government will sit on their hands and do SFA about the energy crisis... and costs will continue to rise. It's a big chunk we'll be paying now but will at least have some certainty/control over future home energy and running costs for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

It wouldn't be able to see inside, just import/export and may make assumptions based on import. Probably it's a very dumb system your provider is using for insights. I know the data on my own provider (Bord Gais) is a bit rubbish - you really need to export the raw data as their graphs are all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Definitely I'd advise anyone getting solar to get the biggest system installed that you can.

Over the last 2 weeks I put 74kWh into my car, and only charged it twice from the grid (and only did that on Friday nights in anticipation of needing the range the following day which in the end I didn't need)

That 74kWh equates to around 650km of range based off my consumption figures over the same period.

I'm beyond impressed with the performance of the PV to date.

Good for you @silver_sky. It only costs fractionally more to put up a bigger system and if you are going to stay in your home long time, you will pick the fruits of this investment later. Look at the electricity prices, they have risen by 100-200% in the last year and a bit. I am maxing out my solar install here too, currently I have about 10-11kW in PV panels and a large solar thermal array too

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

A few of us on the same street are interested in putting in solar. What sort of costs need to be invested to get real bang for the buck?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Advertisement

If there's a few of ye looking into it then would it be worthwhile to try and get a group discount of some sorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

A very good news for those asking for a charger midway of M9. Circle K installed a charger at the Carlow service station

There are photos on Facebook with it. It has 2 CCS 1 CHAdeMO. Is the Alpitronic Hypercharger 300. I've seen those on the continent and they are quite highly rated. It can be of multiple combinations and we hope for the max

I see Circle K Clonsaugh got planning permission for 4 HPC units

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/91720

No mention of output power, but from the drawings the chargers look similar to the units at Mayfield, but with 1 plugs per charger

Any sign of works starting? That'll finally be a badly needed charging hub for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

No. I actually drove past that place today. The final grant was issued May 18th. They have to build a new substation although the existing one there looks quite new. I think once that is in place installing the chargers installation would be quick as there is ample space and no obstructions. I'm more worried about the ESB connection lead time.

The existing substation is about 2 years old, I think it was built for the hotel next door, or for the CNG filling station (they seemed to be built around similar times)

ESBN shouldn't be an issue, plenty of existing high-powered connections close by

The location is pretty ideal, almost too ideal. There tends to be a lot of cars and trucks parked around there, I'm worried the chargers will get ICED all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That'll be a handy one for me when heading to Kilkenny or Kildare via Carlow from Wexford.

It's an excellent spot for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Me 3! That Carlow charging station will be a godsend for me driving Dublin to Dungarvan, Co Waterford. Fast chargers accessible from the motorway are "scarce" in Waterford and Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Is it working yet? Plugshare still says coming soon

Advertisement