Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Cracks me up when people talk about needing to drop first choice players, as though there's an army of test quality lads waiting to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

The question is is Wycherley good at hold up a scrum and is he good around the park? If the answer to both questions is yes than bring him along, if he can take the game to Toulouse & Exeter Chiefs then that's enough for me, he's 22 years old he'll put on weight in his own time.

Going down this route of sacrificing experience just so our players can put on afew KG's is a dangerous game that you really don't want to start playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This tour could be the making of some lads. 3 high pressure tests in NZ after a long disjointed season. Certainly, there are some lads like Healy who are under pressure. Kelleher should be rested, he was probably brought back to soon and Sheehan is playing very well. I definitely see a case for Moore to travel! Bealham is adaptable? He can play loose head? Maybe Coombes gets a chance to start in one test at 8 with Beirne at 6? Or Doris at 8 with Baird at 6?

There's a good option for AF to experiment and mix things up a little. I'm really hoping that Ben Healy travels. In the long run he could be our 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I really think we need to see Coombes start a test. He has exactly the kind of physicality we've been asking for and he also has a fantastic pair of hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Yes but his doesnt play for the Stepford Wives so you can forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You're right, Jim. Coombes wouldn't start for Leinster. So if course he won't be starting for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

personally i think baird has to nail down a squad place at least for leinster before being considered for ireland, bit too much hype without consistency

For me the player we really could do with is Cian Prendergast. He's the kind of 6 Ireland are crying out for, the issue with Leinster and Ireland is they have a back row of 3 absolute quality players but ultimately its not exactly the most well balanced back row in World Rugby, you got a 7 and 2 number 8s but no 6 to do all the donkey work like for example Leinster have had when Rhys Ruddock was in the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I love Prendergast, I'd definitely have him on the plane. I think he's good enough to start a test, although he probably won't. He could do a job at 6, 7 or 8.

He's a brilliant lineout jumper and he just gets through an insane amount of work. Carrying, jackling, he can do the running and he's a good footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wonder with Prendergast tho, is it the case that Timoney is ahead of him in the pecking order? A lot of similar attributes, and covers the 6,7,8 positions as well.

Personally am hoping Gav Coombes gets back from injury (and Munster progress) in time to get some game time prior to the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

SEXTON IS STILL OUR BEST OUT-HALF. Anyone who gets disproportionately irritated by discussion about developing a plan B now, please take this opportunity to stop reading.

The issue for me is not even about Sexton, and whether he is deteriorating (though at his age, things can regress both suddenly and nonlinearly). He was in the form of his life until last weekend, and though a team found a way to put him under pressure, he was close to getting the job done before having to go off.

The issue for me, is what followed. A replacement 10 who let the opposition pressure (and probably occasion) completely break him. Or what happened the week before, when we saw Carbery have a shocker against Leinster's reserves (though missing key team-mates himself).

It's all well and good to say "Sexton is the best option by a distance", so we should keep playing him until he deteriorates and/or others catch up. But look at it the other way around. When are the other players in the team supposed to get used to playing their system in high pressure games WITHOUT Sexton? What subtle changes are needed when the 10 doesn't have his experience? What are the most pragmatic changes we can get away with against top opposition? If we continue to play Sexton more often than not in big games, we can't answer these questions.

Some things to consider:

• Harry or Ross Byrne get the remaining URC fixtures this season, and all next season
    • Sexton starts max one test in NZ this summer
    • Harry or Ross Byrne start all ERC matches next season
    • Sexton starts max one test in the AIs
    • Sexton starts max one or two games in the 6N next season
    • Consider Sexton in a closer role in some/all games he doesn't start

tl:dr - in the coming 15 months, we need Sexton to play enough to stay sharp, but for the core players of the national side (i.e., Leinster) to otherwise tune themselves and their system to playing without him.

All you've said is exactly why he would be so useful and also by doing that its less of a workload for the tight five & VDF + Doris/Conan meaning they can show off more of their attributes.

The line between 6 and 8 is becoming more blurred, I think. The skill sets for either position are pretty much identical, other than occasionally controlling the ball at the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

By RWC time I’d back the back row to look like 6 prendergast 7 vdf 8 Doris 20 Coombes

Backrow balance is a tricky thing to define these days as 6/7/8 are sort of interchangeable. There'll always be a place in rugby for a nasty, grizzled blindside who just hurts people. Or an insane openside who sticks his head into the most dangerous of rucks to win a turnover. But most test quality backrows are strong in all facets of the game that you don't need to stick to predefined roles anymore.

Front five balance and strength is far more important these days. Ireland's recent improvement is built upon having that ultra athletic core of front rows and set piece sound second rows.

The front five of Porter/Kelleher/Furlong/Ryan and Henderson (Beirne if you prefer) is far better than the 2019 version which was dumped out of the World Cup. The starting backrow for that tournament was POM, VDF and Stander. They were criticised for not pulling their weight in the collisions, especially the 6 and 7. But playing behind a front 5 that was a mix of past their prime players or out of form players, made it very difficult for them to flourish. If you played that 2019 backrow behind the 2021/22 front 5 they'd fare far better.

That is true, the best thing to do is dont leave a stone unturned, if you have a 6 & 8 that do similar things but maybe dont have that workhorse maybe the ideal option is bring that option in, that way no matter what when you come up against the top teams you'll always have a chance in that back row battle. Someone like Cian gives us that and potentially down the line someone like Alex Soroka.

Our tight five is strong and much more mobile and more likely to adapt when the going get's tough as a result plus you have potentially the likes of Ahern, McCarthy, Murray etc who might add to it and make it stronger, each adding potentially a different string to the tight five bow.

I agree although I do think the back row in 2019 lacked that bit of dynamism that maybe the 2022 back row has, that's why Dan Leavy was such a huge loss in 2019.

I think the big issue is the mentality of our 10s rather than just the game management, it feels like none of them play with the sense of freedom you see from 10s from other countries, almost like they know the second they make a mistake the whole of Ireland will kick him up and down the field and throw him into the scrap heap with the other 10s gone before. We have enough good players that we really shouldn't be completely handicapped if a 10 that isnt Sexton plays, I mean the likes of Ross Byrne and Carbery have played big Champions Cup & URC/Pro14 games for years, they aren't exactly novices. Yes we will be a weaker team if one of them plays because Sexton is still a better 10 but it shouldn't be what makes and breaks us as a team.

I do think if a 10 is going to step up to the plate it will be a 10 that has the mentality to play the game that suits him regardless of what the media or public say about him and if I had to guess who that 10 is based on how they have played in recent seasons it would be Ben Healy. He just has that vibe about him that he wont let the pressure get to him, similar enough to Sexton himself when he was in his early 20s. Obviously he'll have afew bad days at the office but he wont be the first or last 10 to have those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I have to say you’re a bit of a cock. Stop posting complete and utter shîte. If you’ve got nothing rugby-sensible to say just don’t say anything. There’s a reason this forum has turned into a bit of a cesspool. Surely you have something to contribute, I have no doubt there’s some genuine rugby knowledge in there somewhere. Which I’d be interested to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He wasn’t available for selection last week.

First game in NZ has been sold out

I would worry about this kind of pressure environment, which the Leinster team has struggled with in Europe. it is a good reason to start a more diverse Irish team in the First game.

Henderson and beirne must start in 2nd row, kilcoyne start at LH as porter cant scrummage, POM start at 6, Murray at 9, Carbery 10, Aki/Henshaw centres, conway 14

mod: banned for 1 month.

Post edited by awec on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

ah I don’t know, lads like POM, Beirne, Murray, Conway have won absolutely nothing with Munster. You can’t play lads who don’t know how to win against a team like the all blacks.

at least Leinster are able to win the domestic league, even if it is a consolation prize to us.

Munster don't have the mental scars of choking on the big day like Leinster have developed in Europe. Once teams get this mental trauma it weights on them heavily. Many teams rebuild if it becomes too damaging. Look how long it took to finally beat NZ, 2012 was a easy win but Ireland still could not take it. Sexton missed a easy kick and NZ scored a try no team should score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Yes because none of those players have ever beaten New Zealand...

Post edited by TomsOnTheRoof on

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's enough of this Munster v Leinster rubbish on this thread.

jimdemp will be taking a break from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

ill delete what I wrote here because poor old Jim has taken an L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

It's amazing how sexton went from hero one week and man of the match against the best half back pair in the world to past it the space of 2 weeks after getting injured...

And they say a week is a long time in politics...

Rugby fans are very fickle bunch.

Personally I'd love to see him move to the 22 Jersey. It's the only way he has a chance of making an impact in 2023.

Problem is who takes on the captaincy?? Ryan, Ringrose?

Pom and Henderson are not guaranteed starters

• Advertisement

Advertisement