Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Residents Associations

• 30-05-2022 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am a resident living in a private housing estate.

We have a Residents Association which, until recently, seemed to be going quite well and had made great progress in getting issues in the estates sorted. 

However, last week a 'new version' of a Constitution was put through our letterboxes on the morning of a general meeting of the members (meeting to discuss grass cutting of green areas, not an AGM).

The Chairman of the Association tendered his resignation formally the previous day and also notified all the residents. The Chairman had been informed on Social Media (in his absence) that the 'Committee' would no longer have any officer roles (Secretary, Treasurer etc) and there would be no Chairman etc. The Chairman did not agree with this decision by the Committee, without consultation with all the residents and they suggested holding the AGM to discuss the matter with the all residents and to hold an election for a new Committee roles. The rest of the Committee disagreed entirely with having any AGM. The Chairman resigned as he believed that Officer roles are fundamental to the proper Governance of an Association.

I am quite concerned about all of this, as a resident, and I have paid €100 to the Association for the grass cutting. What concerns me most is:

1. All residents were asked specifically (note through letterbox) for €100 for grass cutting. Many houses paid the money so there is a good bit of money involved. Then the 'new' constitution arrived in our letterboxes with no discussion or warning, with the annual membership fee (conveniently) also set at €100. Is this now implying that because we paid the €100 for grass cutting that we are members?

(Please note that no membership was ever sought or collected before, even though the whole association has been on the go for about 3-4 years or more)

2. There are now no officer roles on the Committee so who is even the Treasurer? We have no idea who the Chairman or Treasurer or Secretary is (we know the names of the people on the Committee but on enquiring about the above they said ' the Committee is responsible' and will not answer any questions. I am concerned as to who is in the role of accounting for the money paid. They want all questions on Whattapp from residents but ignore them and people don't get an answer. 

3. We have now been told that the €100 paid per house is not now being used for grass cutting but is being used for other purposes, e.g. capital works, insurance, community garden, picnic benches etc. without any consultation with the people who paid the money. We feel like the money was obtained under false pretenses and many of the households are not happy with this. 

One member brought up the subject of the 'new' Constitution at the meeting last week and was told by the Committee to email them any queries that they would not answer them at the meeting. I think this is unacceptable and smacks of trying to hide and not being transparent with all the residents.

Any advice or views anyone would be most welcome - has anyone come across an Association with a Committee but no roles/officers?

Any views or advice appreciated

Post edited by FlynnK on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FlynnK

Thanks, Yes it is good and coi-ncidentially the first agreed and signed Constitution was heavily based on this Guidance as our own County has no Guidance, which is problematic for associations here. Thanks for the help

Is a Residents Association legally required to agree its Constitution with the members?

If there are a few like minded neighbours, might be worth getting an opinion from a solicitor.

Thank you, yes it might be an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is you estate taken in charge by the council? Is there a Management Company?

Also, are you an owner or a tenant?

1. Yes
    2. Not a management company, as Residents Association
    3. Owner

not sure why any of these would make a difference?

I suspect the reason for the questions is to see whether you are part of a management company covered by the MUD Act, that would be a whole different situation with different legal obligations. If you were a tenant you wouldn’t have any say in the matter and wouldn’t be responsible for paying the fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Green Party tried this a few years ago at their annual conference, everyone was equal and there was no top podium for the leadership. The delegates sat in groups at small tables, talking to each other. People would occasionally move from one table to another, like at a bridge congress. Needless to say, the unstructured meeting achieved nothing so the following year, they went back to the old system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

What leaves me uneasy about residents' associations is the issue of their legal status.

Specifically, is this residents' association an incorporated or an unincorporated association ? The conventional or old style residents' association is usually an unincorporated association.

Does it matter ? IMHO it does. Such unincorporated associations do not have a legal character or legal identity separate and distinct from their members. The association is actually the members and the members are actually the association. They are like many sports clubs.

My nagging worry is that if the committee does certain apparently authorised actions for and on behalf of and in the name of the membership that could end up incurring personal liabilities for individual members because they and the club are inseparable entities. If the committee is operating less than transparently the potential hazards for individual members are obvious.

BTW if legal problems arise the members of such clubs cannot sue it a la Murphy -v- Roche (No 2). If there are problems the members can sue each other personally.

IMHO I would be distinctly uncomfortable were I in the OP's position.

• Advertisement

Thank you to the last 3 posters on this topic.

The association is an unincorporated voluntary organisation.

Yes, it is concerning and having taken some outside advice, some of the households are thinking of calling a public meeting to 'call this out' but with the current constitution in circulation, getting rid of the current Committee is not even catered for. It is a bit of a shambles, to be honest. Perhaps asking for the money back is the best course of action i.e. I do not want to be a member of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Seems like the power went to some of the local's heads. Asking for money for grass cutting and then proposing to use it for something else and telling you that you are a member of the residents association and the grass money was your dues is a bit of a shambles and a big red flag.

I would be looking for my money back and telling them in no uncertain terms that I do not want to be a member.

Yes, its all of concern, thanks for your view, always good to have an outside opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Constitutions, committee, members, officers, treasurer, chairperson….. it’s all a bit fanciful really.

I’d be inclined to steer clear of any of your neighbours who are wrapped up in the above. I can’t imagine they would be much good with a lawn mower.

If you want your estate maintained, someone has to organise it, and someone has to pay. It benefits everyone who lives/owns there to have it looking well.

Thanks. I have no problems paying for the maintenance and agree that it make a big difference when people get together to do this, my issue is the way the current residents association is being run and the lack of accountability. Have to have a Committee and some structure in place to account for the money etc

Its important to have a proper Committee structure if you are running an association that takes money off households and to ensure it is used for the correct purpose. One man and a mower would not cut the green areas we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You didn’t elaborate on the size of the estate or the extent of ongoing maintenance works which need to be undertaken, and that would be a big factor in determining what the best course would be.

Who owns the lands being maintained? Although becoming less common, some local authorities are prepared to cut grass in green areas of housing estates. It’s also not uncommon for community employment schemes to assist in making labour and machinery available for projects like this, so I would say to investigate both of these if it’s a large estate.

The ‘proper commitee structure‘ you refer would probably be a Company Limited By Guarantee. This would be a much more ordered arrangement, and would by its nature be more accountable. The officers of this company would tend to be elected by the residents, who you would hope would then contribute sufficiently to have the works carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

It sounds like a relatively informal grouping of residents that tried to legitimise themselves with a set of officers and constitution. Probably set up with the best of intentions and as sure as death and taxes there was a disagreement between the handful of active participants as to what the function of the group should be.

unless you are willing to get on board and get actively involved I'd say you may as well be pissing in to the wind looking for any joy.

ive been involved in a fair few volunteer groups with sports clubs and local group and this always happens.

have you made any thoughts about getting involved ?

I think not, given what's going on. There is more to it obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the estate has been taken in charge by the council, then grass cutting is their responsibility. A voluntary association of residents who take it upon themselves to cut the grass at more frequent intervals is fine, but it's important to note that it's little more than a few people engaging in a hobby.

If you're taking small amounts of money off small numbers of people for specific purposes, you don't need formal structures in place. If people don't see their money being used properly they can just choose to not pay it. If they think it's being misappropriated, they can call the Gardai.

As noted above, talk of constitutions and committees and officers is way over the top unless you've got hundreds of properties, and it's usually done by someone with good intentions but way too much time on their hands and fanciful notions. Some people love committees. Like, would hold a committee meeting weekly to discuss sweeping the road. Once one of these people gets a hold of your association, you're better off abandoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They have taken €100 off each resident. depending on the size of the estate that could be a reasonably substantial amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd agree with all of this.

Except €100 is a LOT to be paying for a few cuts, unless there are only a very few houses involved.

And there was mention of insurance: As I understand, once the estate is taken in charge, you don't need public liability insurance for the common areas.

The whole situation sounds quite muddled.

Just curious as to why insurance would not be required? The estate was taken in charge.

If the estate is taken in charge then any public liability claims fall on the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I guess someone could be going to the extremes and thinking that if they were to put in planters or a bench in the public space, then they could be liable for any injuries that occurred if someone hurt themselves on it. It's a stretch though. If it's getting to that level of ridiculousness, I'd definitely walk away.

Yes.

However, if a residents' association organises something like kids sports on the green and they are negligent liability for that may well fall back on the residents' association and it's individual members where it is unincorporated.

true. if they organise an event they need to obtain public liability insurance specifically for that event

Some residents' associations think that they are management companies and may try to arrogate the power of that entity to themselves.

The question of OP's membership is a little unclear to me. I take it that he has not paid a formal membership subscription as distinct from the payment of €100 for grass cutting. In that case he is probably not a member but the issue remains a bit unclear.

OP can wait for the relevant subscription period to lapse and thus leave by default. I am minded of a High Court case tried by Morris J where he held that a "member" of a club [unincorporated association] was not actually a member because he had allowed his membership subscription to lapse after it's due date even though the member was active in the club !

Personally, I would be inclined to take the initiative by writing to the residents' association to confirm to them that I am not a member.

IMHO I would want to detach myself from the RA involved here as it all sounds decidedly dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

OP we have kind of the same thing in my estate, like most estates, maintenance was taken over by the council a number of years ago!! But the RA asked for donations towards flowers for the estate entrance and a lawn mower for the verges outside homes (all fine, as some people have their gardens cobble locked so would normally be depended on the kindness of their neighbours to cut it) But over time you notice its only certain homes (mainly RA Members) where the verge is kept neat and tidy!! Rather than kick up a fuss, everybody just took it as a lesson learned, no more "donations" and we cut our own verges and keep the street outside our own homes clean!! Even on days of "estate clean-ups" it was only a certain number of the streets got special attention, once they where done the volunteers seem to disappear.

Edit: In case you are not aware, once a residents association is registered, they are entitled to local funding for flowers and equipment and other bits and pieces from your local council or area partnership, I know because I used to work in a department that issued the cheques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What is done varies hugely by council.

In Kildare, a taken in charge estate will get one or two grass cuts a year (if none are being done otherwise) and a grant that works out as between €2-3 per house towards costs. They expect you to have PL insurance which the grand barely covers.

Advertisement