Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Kudos to you for your multicultural taste buds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This lady looks to be well on her way to representing us internationally. Who knows, we may be cheering for her at the olympics in Paris in 2 years

Rhasidat Adeleke served yet more notice of her remarkable potential on Sunday night as she set a new Irish 400m record with a time of 50.70 when finishing third while representing Texas University in the final of the Big 12 Championships Meeting.

Adeleke - who came home behind team-mates Stacey Ann Williams and Kennedy Simon - broke Joanne Cuddihy's record of 50.73 which had stood for 15 years.

The 19-year-old Dubliner is now the fastest Irishwoman of all time at 60m, 200m, 300m and 400m distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Redbonefan1

Most city centres of western cities are now multicultural with the same shops and same restaurants.

They all look the same.

Anyway, we voted on whether we wanted Ireland to be multicultural a long time ago so I don't know why people are getting all worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Gentlemanne

No offence but this might be the most ignorant thing I've read on this site, which is really saying a lot.

• Advertisement

Don't be surprised to see posts attacking the intelligence of children, their sexuality, trans-rights etc, from the same poster

Perhaps he should skip dinner today because there are starving kids in Europe too. There's food insecurity and a war going on in this continent right now.

I wonder why Africa and people from Africa are treated differently 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Come celebrate our culture. The one that’s made people from every nation in Africa “refugees”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Did you feel a glow inside being part of this wonderful cultural event .

• Advertisement

Are you content with the numbers of illegal Brazilian migration into this country?

The official estimate is that this country has just over 20,000 Brazilians.

Anyone living in major cities in this country knows this is arrant nonsense.

Moreover, the vast majority of Brazilians tend to be friends with...Brazilians or other foreigners. There is zero integration, or interest with the native population.

Is this example of "multiculturalism" working? I think not.

In fact, I used to live with multiple Brazilians who bragged about how the system was easy to rig in their own favour. They blamed Irish people for the lack of integration and their unwillingness to engage.

Not disagreeing with you, but I find "Integration" to be a rather vague concept.. and seems to vary widely depending on who you speak to.

What is successful integration? How do we measure it, and what are the actual benefits of integration? Cause I honestly don't see it myself. Like we know what/when people are not integrating.. but how do we know that they are?

I can understand assimilation. That makes sense to me, and seems perfectly normal answer to immigration leading to residency or citizenship.. but integration? I've lived in Germany, Australia, and two Asian countries, and I'd be hardpressed to say that I integrated while living there. Oh, I went to work, paid taxes, formed friendships with the natives, etc.. and that was just for a few years each, but we're generally talking about migrants getting visas and then staying for extended periods or forever, so.. how does that work, with regards to integration?

So.. for those who favour of integration. What is it? How do we estimate it? etc.

I don't want integration, I probably should have confessed that.

I want complete assimilation, or as close to this as possible, to ensure that there is some form of continuity in the culture of society.

On the Brazilian question, there is neither integration nor assimilation.

It's an absolute disaster!

I'm in full agreement btw. Just curious what people think integration consists of, cause i don't think it ever really happens. Just a buzzword without any practical meaning..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's interesting the way trans rights gets inserted into most threads.. almost as if the people who campaign/crusade for all these agendas/movements, need to tick the boxes at every opportunity to reassert their virtue. It's even more interesting that the vast majority of cultures that those advocating multiculturalism for, are highly hostile towards trans issues. Both Africa and the M.East are incredibly nasty towards anything trans, but.. nah. It'll be grand. (Oh, I'm highly critical of the overall Trans topic, but I'm not hostile or wish any harm towards Trans people, whereas most Muslims or Africans would be.. although I suppose that's why Brazilians get so much love, since they tend to be more progressive about these things)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The thing is that racism and something-phobia are so easily thrown around that they lost any significant meaning. If you don't like kebab is because you're racist. If you won't date a trans person is because you're transphobic. If you think that a school should primarily educate children and be evaluated by its academic results and not diversity you are a racist attacking children. I don't know how we ended up like this but things are not looking good.

It's interesting the way trans rights gets inserted into most threads

Ask Cordell, he raised the subject

I haven't actually but don't let the truth stand in the way of your agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭golondrinas

CEO of Wexford transport company ( they use Rosslare) complaining of the damage done to trailers and goods on board by the constant arrival of illegal immigrants coming through from Cherbourg and Bilbao. Bilbao was set up in the last few years and now word has got out that they don’t have to use the French ports to get into soft touch Ireland. Apparently security is also poor in Bilbao. It can’t be that difficult to secure a departure area in a port .

That's a small price to pay for the benefits of diversity and multiculturalism.

And now, joking aside, this is why there is a never ending stream of illegals, there is little effort to stop them and when they arrive we have irresponsible ministers which grants them amnesty. There is no deterrents for them to not take the trip, and if some of them drown or suffocate or freeze to death in refrigerated containers the people enabling them won't even consider that they are at least partially responsible. And by people enabling them I mean everyone, from posters on this thread up to high level politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RYEL

The one element that won't assimilate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

A complete rebellion against self-responsibility is one of the core features of the people who are ushering us into a rapid decline. Years following them, and not once have they accepted any blame for anything, no matter how guilty they are.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even Leo Varadkar namechecked "issues" with certain migrant groups from Georgia and Romania. Last time I checked they were White, the same "race". Of course he avoided namechecking the African chancers as that would get the exoticism fetishists seeing "race" everywhere all a quiver, even though over 90% of "sylum seekers" from that continent are also rejected. Post the birthright citizenship loophole closed of course. The recent arrival of 30,000 Ukrainians will/is causing issues and last I checked they were White too. And you clearly haven't been exposed much to other cultures, because if you had and think the Irish have a "racist" element, your hair would stand on end listening to honest conversations from those in Eastern Europe, or anywhere in Asia.

Annnnnnd we're back to the other wonky chair leg of the multiculturalists; we wuz migrants once! It never gets old.

Never mind that America of all places is hardly a good example of the same multiculturalist politic. White Anglo Saxon Protestants "assimilated". Well they didn't need to as the nation was founded along those lines. Other Whites like the Irish and Italians could "blend in". American Blacks didn't, couldn't assimilate and were kept at a distance, right down to today, or did you miss the civil rights movements and BLM? Jews and Muslims were/are hardly welcome guests of WASP circles. The Chinese were treated like second class citizens. Ever hear of the Chinese Exclusion act? Hispanics need a wall for some of them apparently.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The recent arrival of 30,000 Ukrainians

The Ukraine situation really blows apart race based arguments, as people have the exact same concerns, even though they are largely white and Christian or secular. Of course that doesn't matter though, because "racism" can mean whatever it needs to mean once it can be used to hinder "bad" people.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Annnnnnd we're back to the other wonky chair leg of the multiculturalists; we wuz migrants once! It never gets old.

I *am* an immigrant so using this argument with me is even sillier. But as I said, they don't care much about facts, and what do you expect from people that support multiculturalism and immigration from the 3rd world thinking that it won't fail here just because it has failed everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RYEL

Haha wibbs I never said we were immigrants once.

I was merely making a humorous reference to all the assimilation talk.

Every country on the planent that I know has emigrants so not really worth pointing out.

Nice rant though. Don't forgot to say how come no one talks about Europeans when taking about multiculturalism next.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't think it's even down to first or third world, developing nations or no, or "race" particularly, save for it making it so much easier to point out differences. IMHO the very core of the politic is doomed to failure because the only multicultural nations in the past got that way by invasion and/or imperial expansion and the minorities, particularly the ones that stood out never got the nice end of the stick or it took them generations to do so and they had to ape the dominant culture. Become more locals than the locals themselves. Again IMHO the basic human nature of "Them Vs Us" evolved as a response to external(and internal) threats because for the range of human history that's percisely what they were.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement