Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

Has anyone dealt with Haven recently? Made an application to them via a broker a month ago. Came back two weeks ago for a few minor queries. Thought I’d hear something back by now but maybe this is the norm? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

from what i hear, this is the norm .

expect around 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

removed

Post edited by ratedR on

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Need a bit of advice.

I'm at the final stages with AIB, just about to draw down.

When initially going through everything, I was given several options of which rate I wanted to go for.

I opted for a 3 year fixed, at 2.45%.

Bank sent the letter of offer to my solicitor.

While I read through it, I noticed they had put down a variable rate, at 2.95%. I noticed this straight away and contacted the bank to ask if this could be amended as it was not what I wanted. The guy I'm dealing with at the bank said "yep, that's no problem"- and sent a link to download and fill out an amendment form to change to the fixed 3 year rate at 2.45. I have this exchange in emails.

I brought this form in with me with my solicitor, we both signed it, and it was put in with the rest of the documents and sent back to the bank. My solicitor even referenced this amendment in his cover letter to the bank, which AIB received and stamped.

Fast forward to a few days ago while I was about to draw down and was sorting some final documents. I happened to bring up the rate and was told that I was on a variable rate, that I could only apply for a fixed rate after I draw down, do some (minor) planned work on the house, have it revalued and then possibly change to a fixed rate. That because it was a "buy and renovate" mortgage (I'm taking out 30k extra for windows and a few other small bits) that I'd have to start on a variable rate.

This was the first time I was hearing any of this.

The relationship with the guy in the bank has suddenly gone cold after I argued this point with him on the phone and several emails exchanges have only resulted with him spouting copy/paste fact style answers from someone who I assume is higher up than him without actually addressing my questions.

Essentially I feel I am being bullied into a variable rate.

Do I have any options here apart from rolling over and excepting, or walking away?

Rates are surely going up everywhere soon, will I get a similar/better rate elsewhere?

The trust is gone to be honest though, so signing a 30 year deal with these guys is not appealing to me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If it’s variable you can leave at any time to another mortgage provider. No need to worry about 30 years. A lot of people now switch every 3 years or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Anyone going through the mortgage process with Permanent TSB?

We are close to sale agreed on a house and can manage a less than 80% LTV which makes their 4 year 2.05% offer plus the cash back seems very tempting as I need to move my current account from KBC anyway but it is suspiciously far better than all their other rates, 3 years for the same deal is 2.95% for instance, anyone have any inside info on it?

It seems good enough that I wouldn't mind the hassle of moving to another mortgage provider in 4 years and the house is a C1 so we can't get a cheaper green mortgage others are offering at the moment but I'm sure we could manage a small energy upgrade to get us a green rate in 4 years

EDIT - Never mind I see on another page that rate is specifically excluded from cashback 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I don't have too much advice for this specific case, but I do have a question.

Is it that easy to change the rate on a loan offer from AIB? Is it literally a case of a form to change rate and signing a new loan offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭poker2k9

Hi folks, need a bit of education here. My broker as explained it but it seems I'm not understanding well.

I've left deposit on a new build due to be completed sometime in March 2023, so there is no structure yet. Decided to go for AIP to make sure I can get the mortgage and my broker said only PTSB can offer non property specific approval.

Does this mean everyone else getting AIP on non completed new builds are with PTSB or am I missing something here? Is it worth getting the AIP with them and then waiting till the house is almost completed to apply to other banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Can I just check, if we have mortgage approval in principle for €300k and have 100k in savings

What is the max we can bid up to? Would it 300k or 400k?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

AIP is the max figure the bank are willing to lend you. You can fund the rest yourself.

bare in mind you’ll need 1% stamp duty and roughly another 1% for associated solicitor fees and other misc fees.

Post edited by Creamy Goodness on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

up to 400k if you putting full 100k of savings against the mortgage approval of 300k ! So if you bought at say 350k ; 100k of savings + 250k Mortgage

Generally the way it works is you are approved for a mortgage loan of 300k but can buy a house for 330 when you include your 10% deposit if you are a first time buyer.

If its a new build and ye are first time buyers you might be able to go to 360 with help to buy and a 10% deposit.

After that its up to ye how much more cash ye want to put into the deal, mortgage companies will offer you better rates the lower the LTV but you wont qualify for HTB if you go less than 70% LTV.

You'd want to be keeping around 10k of those savings for legal costs, stamp duty etc and then whatever money you think you will need to spend on the house, furniture, some emergency savings, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

question - FTB here

i want to go look at a house. i have help to buy approved and deposit saved, and have income for mortgage.

have not gone to the bank yet to officially apply. should i have this when viewing? the EA said the house wont be ready until august anyway

would like to make an offer if i like it. would EA accept the offer pending AIP? (generally speaking of course)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

EA will pass the offer on to the vendors but they may instruct him not to accept any offers from someone without AIP.

thanks for the info.

if i get the ball rolling today with bank do you know how long roughly it would take to get AIP? maybe i can get a viewing in a few days and tell him AIP is pending and will be there in x days and this would work?

AIP depends on your circumstances. It took us maybe 3 weeks I think between docs being submitted and getting the AIP. We were relatively straightforward - both PAYE workers in steady roles, no other loans, good savings history etc.

It's coming up to holiday season now so I'd get it started today if you could.

Agent will usually facilitate a viewing in those circumstances. Some will request AIP to evidence to view but the majority won't. Majority will want AIP to register a bid now that I think of our experience actually over the last 2 years.

You could talk to a broker and ask them to furnish you with an AIP letter. Ours did so immediately before he even contacted the banks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Folks, in the process of applying for a mortgage. Usual requirement of 6 months statements.

I have on my Revolut and bank account a few transactions with bookmakers in late December/early January, so appearing within the last 6 months of my statements. Total amount would be around 120 euro between all transactions.

Am I better off waiting till I have 6 months of clean statements? So pushing out my application a month or so?

On Revolut, there is an option to hide a transaction but it seems to still appear in the statement when I request a statement, anyway using the pdf statement for the hidden transactions not to appear? Or should I look to do an excel version and remove the transactions and convert the excel to a pdf? Mortgage broker online form does not seem to accept excel files.

Thanks

with bookies transactions they’re looking for regular payments. €120 5/6 months ago isn’t regular at all. It shouldn’t be an issue.

They won’t care about a few euro a while ago. They’d be concerned If regularly putting in money.

They’d probably decline you immediately if they found out you’d tampered a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Might be a ridiculous question but I’m mid way through applying for a mortgage. Almost at loan offer. Would booking a holiday effect us? We have AIP already but I’m assuming they’ll look at our bank statements again before loan offer.

As long as you don’t take out a loan or use a credit card (and spend over your means) to bank roll it you’ll be fine.

you’ve got to live too you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MoneyPrinterGoBuurrrr

My advice is do not buy now if you can manage it, 2-3 years there will be bargain basement prices. I strongly urge anyone to be patient and not buy now if this purchase is a huge deal in their life.

And sure who wouldn’t take advice from someone who set up a boards account a week ago?

People have been posting that for over 2 years now and the exact opposite happened, house prices are still rising at the moment so it would want to be one hell of a nose dive for them to be "bargain basement" in 2 to 3 years, it took 5 years for them to bottom out after 2008 and that was a worse situation with 110% mortgages, massive LTI's, an economy largely built on just construction and loads of layman speculation in the property market, we simply don't have that scenario now even if we go into recession.

What people do need to be wary of are:

Increasing interest rates and what will be available after you come off your nice 2.1% 4/5 year fixed - we will be in a different economic scenario then and its not impossible that all you can get is a 3% fixed rate, you need to make sure you can afford this.

Increasing prices of materials and construction labour, doer-uppers are not good value at the moment unless you are getting it dirt cheap.

Increasing new house prices, there has been a massive jump in the cost of a new house in new phases of estates ive seen and pretty much killed off our thoughts of buying new.

The era of guaranteed payrises is coming to an end, labour market is good for certain professions but an economic slowdown will affect companies hiring policies and how generous they will be to existing employees, it will start to become an employers market

For our own scenario we are in our 30's, no kids, have two good jobs and with HTB, savings and a 3.5 mortgage we could have potentially bought a new 400k house.

We have just gone sale agreed on a 2006 3bed semi BER C1 for 235, and will be locking in a 20 year term 20 year fixed rate mortgage at 2.65% with Avant at a lower LTV using our savings - not our dream home, its needs some refreshing but gets us out of renting, ticks enough boxes for both of us and is well within our repayment capacity for one income if we decide to have kids plus we can retain a good standard of living with rising costs of everything.

So all I would advise to anyone reading this is to have a good think about exactly what you NEED not what you want, not what shows off how much money you have to everyone, not what puts you into massive financial trouble if anything goes wrong at any time in the next 30years because literally anything can happen as the last few years have proven and what is yere plan if ye have kids, that will be a massive hit to a combined income ye need to account for.

Oh and for gods sake don't buy a house near any river, sea or flood risk area, flooding is absolutely going to get worse in the future.

Quick question about mortgage process

FTB here - two of us joint applicants .

The thing is my partner is 4 months in a new job (probation period ends in 2 months) - apparently being in probation period is a no no for banks to make formal offer... we are not planning to draw down until the house is ready which will not be for at least 2 months.

I could afford the full mortgage on my own due to my salary. Is there any way the bank can make offer (we have broker AIP already) in the meantime or does everything stall now until the final 2 month probationary period has passed? I was hoping since my salary would cover the whole amount anyway they can keep things moving and proceed.

Not fully clear what the next stages entail. We are just sort of waiting in limbo now having submitted every document needed (with the exception of a letter from partners employer stating probation has finished).

Any insights on this topic would be helpful.

You do realize that a third of FIAT currency was printed in the past 2 years, thus inflating the prices. Well that era is now over and with rates going up house prices will crash, anyone buying now needs their head examined.

Avant don't do 20 year mortgages so i don't have much belief in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Don't argue with that fella. With your one post you have proved he's an idiot.

• Advertisement

Advertisement