Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

You set up the aps and all unifis from a "controller", that controller can be your phone, a laptop or a cloud key controller (and I bekeive there is also a rpi application you can install to make a rpi the controller(.

But whatever controller you use, that is the one and only device you can configure your unifi network from.

I started out just using the unifi app, but I eventually went down the route and bought a cloud key controller, so I can now log in to that from anywhere and configure and change the network.

So, I would say, wipe everything, and set it all up from your phone as the controller for now.

If you are buying ir adding aps, yep I would go for wifi6 compatible ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks @wexfordman2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

No bother, I would try if you can keep with a single eco system or plan for it,

If you are getting a poe switch try and get a unifi one as well

Interesting.....the switch lite 16 PoE seems like the cheapest on on the UI store. I think that might do me for all switch requirements initially. 4 bed house, 3 living rooms. Should just about get away with it.

Care to recommend a patch panel?

Pushing it now, but do u use ethernet splitters at all. Might help me get all I need out of the 16 PoE by using a single cable at busy room points.

You cannot split Ethernet, you can only use switches but you can daisy chain and add a small switch in another room

• Advertisement

Thanks, ok, small local switch then, ie allow 4 hardware devices be wired locally to a single wall socket by plugging 4 port switch into wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Can anyone give some advice on the best value for money mesh system with a budget of around €200?

There's a 3 pack Deco P9 on Amazon right now for £150 which I'm tempted to try.

Or for the same money there is a 3 pack Tenda MW12 which is Tri band.

It'll be used with virgin 1gb to replace their hub 4 wireless. No hardwired ethernet around the house either.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Tenda mw12 seems to be a better choice .If you don't have hardwired ethernet then I would expect up to 600 mbps wifi on main unit and up to 400 mbps on 2 and 3rd.(if you lucky). If you decided to use only 2 units instead of 3 then you probably would be able to get up to 600 mbps on 2nd unit too. That's in theory as real life numbers could be much worse ( 200-300 mbps on 2nd and 3rd unit)

deco p9 wouldn't get even those speeds without ethernet backhaul

ps. I equally hate Tenda and TP Link.

If you want to extend 1Gb to 2nd or 3d unit then Ethernet is a must have. If you want to extend 1Gb wireless then you probably have to double/triple the budget.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Top speed at the 2nd (and 3rd points) wouldn't be of primary concern, a strong reliable network is the main reason for wanting the mesh in the first place - a consistent 300mb at all corners of the house would keep me happy to be honest!

I would try Tenda then ( 30 days return policy at Amazon) consistent 300 mbps at all corners might be too ambitious for this price, but worth a try.

Deco p9 would be waste of time without Ethernet backhaul IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Lads, is there a system available that has an outdoor unit? Don't get any signal at the back of the garden & data signals are really low back there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Unifi have the UAP-AC-M https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

I have one outside myself attached to the house (wired back to a switch) but it can also be used with other unifi APs as a wireless mesh system.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭in2dark

I read your comment that you hate tplink and this is the reason im commenting.

Can you please advise a descent router to serve, without dropping, about 20 devices?

I have a linksys ea9600 that serves me for the last 4 years (i bought it second hand) and im so happy with its performance. However i recently moved to sky 500 and the linksys cannot cope with those speeds. Max i get is 160-200 wired or not...

Im not keen in mesh capabilities as the house is not that big.

Reason im asking you is because a tplink ax5400 is on sale for 100 quid on amazon and i read good reviews online. However i keep seeing people on various forums giving out about tplinks. So im genuinely interested into why?

Appreciate your help!

I’ve heard nothing bad about this model ( or good to be fair).It seems to be decent router for £100 .

I don’t like TPLINK in general, they love to cut corners, build quality often just below any standards.

Ive disassembled few tp link mesh units , they had such a tiny heatsinks, almost made of foil, no wonder they couldn’t perform well

WEB UI quite good though, normally you won’t see so many advanced features at such budget.

Why don’t you use SKY HUB ? Surely it is capable of 500mbps wireless speeds.

ps.couldn’t find linksys ea9600 , is it proper model name? ea6900 perhaps?

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Can you set up Mesh with 2 different routers?

I got an Asus RT AX86U to replace my TP Link AC1900. So is there anything i can do with the TP Link router other than put it on adverts

You won't be able set up mesh with Asus and TpLink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

You’ll be able to add another WiFi access point to your network but unlike mesh system it’ll not work in tandem with Asus.

In mesh system if you moving around the house mesh units passing clients to each other. If you approaching near the second unit with stronger signal then first unit pass you into it without any data loss. ( if you streaming Zoom , picture won’t break while you travel between the units).

If you just add your TPLINK as WiFi access point to Asus router you will create 2 independent wireless networks. It won’t automatically switch you to the Access Point with the strongest signal. You could be with half of a bar signal and no matter how close you to second unit you have to manually switch your phone between them.

apologies you are right, it is ea6900.

i dont use the sky router for few reasons.

number 1. the range is not as great as my linksys (i have the router in front room first floor, and rear room ground floor has virtually no reception with the sky router, where the linksys gives me 120

number 2. i want to have some sort of parental controls (block devices etc) that the sky is not so flexible

number 3. i want to prioritise my work laptop and the main tv

finally i came across the asus ax5400 and I think I will go for it, since there are no so many ppl being negative for the asus routers (comparing to the tplink ones). I even consider spending 80 euros more and go for the bigger model (ax82u) since it is more future proof... still thinking...

once again thanks for the feedback!

number 2. i want to have some sort of parental controls

Hardware firewall normally slow down performance, just wondering if you turn it down,could Linksys go up to 500 mbps as well ?

ps.Are you sure 1 router could deliver 500 mbps for two story house? You might need to relocate router in different place to get those speeds. Amazon has 30 days return policy you might swap it after for the mesh.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Advertisement

Apologies for the late reply but wanted to run the test you suggested and also to check the new router I bought.

So yes there was a small improvement when I switched the firewall off. Nowhere near the 500 though.

I bought an asus tuf ax5400 and boy what a difference...

Straight 500 via cable or wifi (500 is my max coming from isp)

What was very interesting though was how badly my samsung tv works with wifi... In fairness the tv is on a different floor and the other side of the house. But still... My tv gets only 5-10 speed and my laptop sitting exactly next to the tv gets 300

The same laptop when next to the router gets 500...

So unfortunately i have to go through the powerline option for my tv :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anybody else find Google Wifi to be a bit ****? I've just installed it in a 3-storey house, each floor roughly 60m2, and a lot of it open plan. I have the main on on the first floor at the front where the internet access point is, then ground floor and second floor are both at the back.

I have three main issues - the other units don't work well with streaming (even though if I do a speed test it is showing 120mbps), they cut out a lot, and they are not keeping a stable connection with other Nest or Google Home devices (either I can't install, need to try 50 times to add a new device, or when I do add them they show as offline), and they also cut out a lot if I try to do video or voice calls etc.

Google wifi is only dual band, it does not have a third separate frequency for backhaul so in your case it is a poor choice. I'd return it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What would you go for instead for a house as described above? Only used for streaming / work from home and a few basic smart home devices (Philips Hue, Google Home Speakers, Tado thermostats, Nest cameras and alarms etc)

Either go for something tri band or with homeplugs built in, and definitely buy from somewhere with a returns policy. Is there any chance you could get ethernet to any of the nodes or some of your devices? This would improve things immensely.

Mesh is a buzz word these days and is more about plug and play convenience than high speed, from your use you are a high end user and should maybe be considering the more high end mesh products, Netgear Orbi, Linksys Velop, Asus ZenWifi etc, these will be twice the price of your Google Wifi. That said TP Link Deco also get recommended here lots but I've not used them

To me to get the best from your wifi everything that doesn't move that can be cabled should be cabled, especially media players/consoles etc and leave wifi for mobility, for the devices that need it!

I didn't have time to look earlier but here are some options

Here's an affordable set of Linksys Velop tri band, these assume you can get a good wireless link signal between devices

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5M9NNB/?coliid=I19SAMPZG57YRP&colid=32FX5BO4F71TB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

These have built in powerline for backhaul which is another option

If there is any way possible to locate these where you can get cables to them do so, a cable always just works!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The NetGear Orbi units are tri-band and have a dedicated back haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The Nova MW12 is a tri-band system. The three pack is available on Amazon for less than €200.

Post edited by Gooser14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

I just got the tenda nova MW6-2. signal is good but the connection is terrible. Intermittently will be very slow opening pages if they even open. Error pages open saying I'm offline.

Anyone else have them? Doesn't seem to be anything in the app that improves performance.

When speed test works it gets good numbers (for my Internet). Using it with virgin 250 mb package. Took 3 attempts to get speed test to work today. When I use the virgin router the issues go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Any recommendations for a very large old house, circa 1,000sqm ?

Internet comes in at one extreme of the building currently, need to share it with one outbuilding <10m from the main house and also capture as much of the main building also. Walls are very thick stone.

Internet installer has recommended tp-link deco M4 ac1200 which is about 130 for a pack of three. Could I add more units if needed?

We need to place one of the mesh units in the outbuilding as this is being rented to include broadband.

I will be travelling to set this up for in-laws, need it to work out of the box.

Speed not a major concern, there isn't even phone signal in the house currently.

Hardwiring not a realistic option

Advertisement