Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens Jubilee, what's the craic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Huge event for British people this weekend, and no better people to pull out all the stops. 96 years old and a lifetime of serving and duty. Remarkable woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ah yeah I'll be going full In-ger-land this weekend at the street party. It will be a good laugh with a whole street having a piss up so I'll be getting into the spirit of things even if the royals arent for me. My English mates arent fans either but they'll get into the spirit with their new neighbours which Im sure will be a good laugh. I just gotta keep my mouth shut about Andrew and everything will be great 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Based down UK south in a fairly military oriented area.... also, if you've lived down south, you'll know how the other half live....

I regularly have taunts about being Irish, not being taken seriously, or looked down upon for things.... I'm here nearly 10 years though, so it's water off a ducks back, and a different topic tbf...

Anyway, with the scene painted, I'm out on the beer tomorrow all day with some friends, and looking forward to it... I've had a 2 day work week this week, and it's gonna be beer garden weather later in the week... if I was nearer London, I would have definitely went up for the flyby

no doubt I'll have comments while out and about (probably get a few people being physical) etc... but I don't really care, it's your usual lagar lout with a Lizzy tat on their chest, they get put down fairly fast ..

question for @Mrs OBumble what do you do when you're in a community which will complain if you don't try to assimilate, but some rip the piss out of you for being Irish ? (not saying that's everywhere, but down south it is definitely still a "thing" for outsiders in general)... what about the situation where they have a "friend" who they thought they were close to, who will have a few too many drinks this weekend and spill the beans how they are ultra nationalist, and really don't like anyone from outside of the UK .... that sort of stuff happens all the time

Over the years (and especially since Brexit) jibes about taking jobs, not being from here, being stupid, being a tarmaccer, getting equated to pikeys are a regular thing for Irish over here... I completely understand if someone is a bit more introverted, or a little bit less thick skinned, would be happy to flake around for the next 4 days and not do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The first monarch of any country to reach that milestone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Louis XIV got a real headstart there when he became king at the age of 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yep, and he just has 2 years one the queen as he died 20 years younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'll be in England for it. I'll see at the craic is anyway. If I was in Thailand and there were street events for the king, I'd definable go along and have the craic. Doesn't mean I have great devotion to the Thai king, but I'd enjoy the cultural occasion. Same with the jubilee.

The park next to me has some events and the city has lots of things going on. So I'll see how it goes. Plus the long weekend is a massive bonus.

Only a fool would have 4 days off work and try not to take advantage of them out of bitterness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dis the Queen in the UK, you may get into anything from a mild disagreement to a a fist fight.

Dis the Thai king in Thailand and you might end up in prison. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-lesemajeste-idUSBKK7698820070329

Easier to enjoy Thai festivities for very obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

The absolute opposite experience for me.

Been here 11 years now, never had anything even approaching taunts or being looked down upon. As for comments or people being physical? Never.

Had nothing but positivity towards being Irish, helped me make friends, helped me start conversations with strangers, customers, etc. Seems like everyone has or wants something to do with Ireland over here, distant relations, stag weekends, or just wanting to talk about Father Ted!

As for the jubilee, it's not for me, but happy to see people enjoying themselves, I'll be in London myself for the next three days, but mostly inside theatres!!

Maybe. I'd have no interest in dissing either one. I'd be more interested in seeing if there's a bit of craic going on and enjoying the expression of culture than telling someone else why they shouldn't enjoy their culture.

Same as that for me. I've been up north east for the last 11 years and I always think with first impressions, you'd be much better being Irish than being from the South.

Depends on class though (class is much more rigid in England than ireland). I worked with working class people in my uni jobs and they made the potato jokes and scrap metal jokes (I didn't get that one at first). Basic bitch jokes based on absolutely no knowledge of history or the world, just based on stereotypes. Moved into a middle class environment since then and never got any of that stuff. People who know the first thing about anything, are generally very accepting of Irish people. Lots are aware of Irish ancestry.

The English really don't engage with their culture and history and I think they're poorer for it. So I'm happy for them if they get something from this weekend. That said, the North East is not really a royalist hotpot.

It's been a great experience for me, being Irish has helped me stand out a bit, give an instant point of reference to chat about and generally enabled me to build a decent enough life over here!

As for your point about classes, you're probably right, I might have been received differently if my Dublin-ish accent rocked up at Eton or Cambridge! I've worked all over, in recent years mostly Midlands/Black Country, but it's been a great advantage to me. Speaking of the North East, I worked a bit in Newcastle, Sunderland and South Shields when I was first over and found the people brilliant.

As for the original idea of the thread, I'll be spending the days off inside theatres, seeing shows set in America, France, Greece, Uganda and Germany!!! So my Jubilee is going to be very international.

Yeah I'm up that way and the people are generally sound. Same experience for me. Being Irish has usually been a talking point. I've found that they don't know where to fit you into a social class here, so they're more likely to take you as they find you. But if you're from Chelsea or Sculthorpe, they have more preconceived ideas about you. Plus being 'from the countryside' means posh in the UK where in Ireland it doesn't really have any class connotations. So I was probably inadvertently telling them I'm posh because I'm from the rural Midlands, if you can believe it! Getting off topic though.

I'll head out and see if there's a bit of craic and probably have a few pints in the sun. Enjoy the long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

glad to hear at the both of these experiences, and I definitely don't write off the whole of the UK either...

It's very much where I am living, it's either very affluent, or very working class, with very little middle class..

The military culture and general nationalist and royalist culture engrained from this, military through to working class, then the affluent bracket being very "la di dahhh" cultivates a general consensus of outsiders = bad ....

Would love to live up north, I could see myself settling quite well in Manchester or Liverpool, but the money and weather down this end of the country has me staying he for another few years.

What shows are you off to, something in the West End? Tried to get tickets this weekend but anything we wanted to see was sold out or really expensive

Tomorrow is Grease and Les Miserables, friday is Book of Mormon and Cabaret, then Saturday is The Burnt City followed by Heathers!!

Only The Burnt City is new to me, but I'm very excited about the whole lot!! Cost an absolute bomb but worth every penny for me.

Ah right when you said one of them was set in Uganda I thought it might have been the Book of Mormon, I saw it in Dublin back in November and loved it so much we went back to see it again a couple of weeks later. I often listen to the soundtrack of it on Spotify which brings back good memories.

Enjoy all your shows, sounds like an epic weekend in the West End.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

It's true actually, no one does a street party as well as the Brits!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not gone on her family but she is herself a terrific head of state , if only our own maintained such a dignified silence which the office deserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

It's like a living St Paddys day without embarrassingly drunken f#ckers pissing all over O'Connell St. and each other.

Fair play to Her Majesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Whats the story with the Duke of Kent ?

Was he in a fight with Mike Tyson or what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He is 86.

He does a lot of work for the RNLI which he has been president of since 1969.

I’d like to see the concept of a street party catch on in Ireland in summer -can’t think of anything in particular to celebrate but would be a nice way to meet neighbours/town/village community and the like - maybe a bbq party or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gas to see the brits wetting themselves over the confirmation that she's actually not dead and can make a public appearance. Fair play though, she's still able to put on a show for the crowds at her age. The Duke of Kent looks depressingly like an 86 year old they took out of a home this morning and stuck a uniform on.

Picture of him here from 2019: https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article16520732.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200d/0_Trooping-The-Colour.jpg

Age can really take hold rapidly sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He's 86 and still active. More power to him. What's your issue? Leave them to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Fallout2022

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Will they have another party the week after next when she moves in to second place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭trashcan

Drink till you throw up of course ! Then drink some more.

Advertisement