Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Was a Ted talk Sunday morning on how seaweed can reduce methane upto 90 percent, we must have lots of the stuff... might increase numbers yet lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

100% but the fallout from when the real crunch hits re food supplies is going to be unfathomable, you can see in America at the minute where washout weather conditions combined with ongoing droughts in other areas has ment millions of acres of corn won't be planted and the fert companies are now sobering up and dropping prices trying to shift unwanted product..

1st world governments not grasping the concept that current input prices especially for fertilizer means that millions of acres of marginal ground worldwide that would been planted in a normal year and a chance took on getting a crop will be fallowed into the future if fertilizer prices/input prices presist, you'll see a return to coupled payments in the future I reckon when the **** hits the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

This narrative of 30% reduction in bovine methane is completly incorrect.

World leader commited to a reduction of worldwide methane emissions, mostly to be acheived by reduction of leakages from the fossil fuel industry.

The Biden administration plans to tackle oil and gas wells, pipelines and other infrastructure first as part of its broader strategy to crack down on climate change.

Its goal is to eliminate over 0.2C of near-term warming by cutting global methane by at least 30% by 2030.

This narrative by the EPA should be checked..

Penny finally dropped with them re milk supply going forward, they really should of done their census of suppliers before they put a spade in the ground for the aware plant weather it will even get the milk needed to justify it is questionable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'd have serious question marks over the EPA.

I had to organise an agri-data event for the off-farm job recently and of the 50-ish people who signed up, about 10 were from EPA. The content of the event wasn't exactly their domain and was more about social science and business models than agriculture. I've been organising events like this for years (unfortunately) and the only organisations who have loads of people signing up are those where the staff have very little to do.

Another thing the EPA do is constantly carry out surveys and send the results in a press release to the media:

- 7 out of 10 people are worried about air quality

- 80% of people want to reduce the carbon footprint of Irish food

- etc.

The surveys are meaningless, like most surveys, but it keeps the EPA on the radio and in the papers all the time. No other quango or lobby group is as good at PR and media manipulation as the EPA. They have an important job to do, but seem to be more political and media-focussed than anything else at the moment.

I can only assume they have money to burn and are being funded up the wazoo by Govt.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gman1987

EPA were out getting a water sample from a river going past our home farm just last week. Five of them there for a full day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Civil servants ……..I’m releated to a few,know lots and jaysus tgere whinging would make u sick ….then u see what they can get away with with so called working from home etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

After fecking up here a bit, growth after dropping to 50, 3 days of ok covers left and then back to 1k. For the first time could actually use a drop of rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Things are getting tight here too. I think it's the cold at night more than drought. Glad I was too lazy to take out strong paddocks two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Plenty of rain up our way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mowed 30% here in the last 3 weeks, some is in the pit, rest in bales nice to get them, was stocked at 5.4 for 2 weeks, 4.5 atm

How much are you feeding in the parlour. Stocked at 4.5 here at the moment. About 60% of the milking block closed for silage, heifers and calves.

Back to 3 kg now, was on 4 since we started milking in spring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Glanbia are telling ye to try not drop yield - https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40886180.html

Weren't they saying the complete opposite a few months ago and going to penalise for too much milk

Musical chairs with them at this stage, the board seem to be a law onto themselves, theirs uproar over their Messing about with milk payments now been split from thy June cheque onwards and I'd say 99% of suppliers are opposed to it, but the only few that reckon its a brilliant idea are on the board

Took out a paddock that had gone strong, silage was delayed till last wkend as well and another few acres out for reseeding. Got contractor in to spread fert but should have been following the cows. Silage delayed really caught me as heifers at home still. At least the water got done anyway, they can give out to me for the grass instead of the water this week. Will fire in a few bales at the wkend

Interesting Snapchat of kiwi land, most telling line was while 9 dollars a kg milk solids is fonterra highest ever opening pay out inflation adjusted its only equal to 6.25dollars, converted in Irish terms 46 cent a litre inflation cost adjusted is only the same payout as getting 28 cent a litre in 2020 in a Irish context

Post edited by jaymla627 on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

We ve had only one day of rain really since 20th of Apr around here even though we have a bit of heavy drizzle here and there.we ve managed to keep rotation length but are going grazing second cut tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

it would have been helpful if they brought back the payment days to 12/14 instead of the split payment, we actually have to wait an extra 3 days to get paid!

it was cost neutral for company to pay the way they are, amazing how they can now calculate milk payments so quickly to have half ready for the 12th

agribusiness payments now pushed to out here in response

Been trying to promote clover in a couple paddocks that were resending last year and beginning to think that clover might be a train that never comes for intensive dairying s.waiting the whole year for it to kick off

• Advertisement

What did you do this year re N ? Normal amount till April and half rate or cut back altogether?

I think teagasc and everyone else have alot to learn about clover. I'm noticing more and more of it this year with the heightened awareness.

I put down roadways 2 years ago and near the end of it where there isn't much traffic it is covered in clover. Same in the yard around the back of the house which is a bit unfinished. It seems to grow away itself if the conditions suit it.

Most of my paddocks are pale coloured from the cold nights with big rich dung pads. The best grass I have is after slurry. Sometimes I wonder is the bag of fertiliser any good at all.

About 2 /3 s of normal n .got a good amount of clover on it but I can't see it delivering anything extra up to this.we seem to have clover in most fields as we graze tight and are often tight on grass so rarely have high covers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

How much bagged fertilizer have you been spreading and what type?

Following the cows with 30 units of pasture sward. Cold weather didn't help. Things should fly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a relationship with clover and soil microbes.

If it's working properly where the clover is, around that clover the grass should be a dark rich colour.

If you hurt those microbes you won't have that colour and N fixation. Cobalt is also a factor in the process.

30 unites is a lot.16/17 units here and seems to be enough

I know. I'm back to 20 on this round. I think the cold nights was the problem. The slurry worked better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

What's everyone like for grass, very little growth here the last 10 days, giving them some silage in the evenings.

Advertisement