Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got burned out too, still have the final boss to defeat, Melina and a few unexplored areas to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Got burnt out trying to beat Baleful Shadow a few weeks ago and still haven't gone back!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Just got to melina. Man she sucks. The healing is a pain. Can get to second phase every once in a while but can’t touch her then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Have to say, its somewhat refreshing to see so many getting tired by the end.

I didnt mainline the game at all, I started on launch day and took over 2.5 months chipping away at, but yeah, by the end, I was ready for it to be over.

I haven't gone back to it since either, despite having a bit of cleaning up to do.

For anyone looking for a sort of palate cleanser, I started Tunic (free on gamepass), and its quite the captivating game, like a cross between old school Zelda and Souls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Look up a guide on how to avoid her flurry attack. Makes it soooooo much more manageable.

• Advertisement

Ya I did. In the end I got her done. Gave my mimic a mace with frost and I used bloodhound fang and basically tried to keep her pinned for the first phase and after about 4 hours last night she is dead. Onto the beast clergy fella in crumbling farum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If you've already reached the Beast Clergyman in Farum Azula, you're on the final stretch of the game. Pretty much only boss fights from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Got it on release but only had time to sit down and get stuck in this week. Loving it so far. Have about 6 or 7 hours played and already get the idea that I'm only scratching the surface.

Runs great on the PS5 and the combat is exactly what I would expect from Soulsborne, although striking from horseback is a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Malenia nearly burnt me out too. Took a break wandered met the end boss and went back with a new strategy

Got her on the 3rd attempt but some of that is now due to my ridiculous level for the end of the game from my wandering.

Hope to beat the beast this weekend and then will spin up Alan Wake for a nice change of pace, will be good to revisit that old friend. Now if only Legacy of Kain was there….

Well. Just finished it there. Elden beast took me a bit of time , mainly because he kept going away from me. He is fairly tanky.

great game but I need something different for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Godskin Apostle theme is amazing but I didn't know it had actual lore in it. I thought it was just brilliant operatic noise or something but it's Latin and someone translated it...

https://old.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/v3huj4/say_what_you_will_the_godskin_apostles_theme_with/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yes, and the main principle is you do not defend with her. She has the advantage in defense so you lean into attack and avoid, if you still fail you further optimise attack and relearn how to simply sprint instead of block or roll. Be flexible with your build. It's not dissimilar to other games, you can have a build that 90% walks the game but for some you have to be malleable. I found the majority of bosses considered hard easy but I naturally lean to agility/glass cannons and hit some unexpected hard stops like the Briar Knight - he destroyed me more than any other boss in the game until I simply stepped back and equipped a shield and then whup'd him on the first subsequent run easily. The game challenges over repeated patterns every now and again but over compensates when you correctly change things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Given how the game looks, performance is very poor.

Got the game a few weeks ago and waited for a mate to pick it up. He got it yesterday so started properly playing last night.

All seems good except the performance,really brings the game down a notch for me

Oh and the coop is unessacerily complicated and a bit silly you can't share progression. I know souls games have traditionally been that way but like give players the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Such a good game, tbh I prefer the exploration aspect over anything else really.

Pretty sure I've beaten most of what Limgrave has to offer. 17hrs in amd I've only cleared the first area really. Didn't expect the game to be so big.

Convinced a mate to buy it as well and we're having a blast.

Not sure about armor though,can improve weapons but not sure how to do the same for armor?

I'm a warrior,focusing on dex,strength and mind but not sure that's the best way forward? Still haven't put any extra into vigor yet which is at 11 and it's starting to be a bit of an issues having such low health

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's bigger than you think. There's about 10 times when I thought I was getting towards the end and it would reveal massive new areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Armour isn’t something you need to worry about too much - it’s nowhere near as important as the weapons. As a mage anyway I didn’t feel any real need to change mine until late in the game… and even then it was just shifting the numbers around a bit rather than transformative. There are some cool helmets / headsets, though!

The main thing is just to have armour that suits your build and to avoid over-encumbering yourself unless you have a very specific reason to be doing it.

Oh, and definitely pay attention to vigour. You’ll want to be up in the 40s for late game stuff so best to start putting a point or two in early.

You'd be better levelling Vigor rather than Mind for a while, especially if you're not using incantations or sorceries too much. While Mind lets you use your weapon art more, if you're struggling with low health you're better allocating an extra flask to FP and levelling up Vigor so you can survive more.Start throwing some points into Vigor and Endurance for a while.

As for armour, you can't upgrade or improve it. Don't get too focused on armour. Some armour sets have additional buffs etc, but early in the game the available armour isn't going to make too much of a difference. As Johnny said, just pick your best armour that gets you closest to the Heavy Load (without going into Heavy Load) and that's generally going to protect you the most. Levelling Endurance will not only allow you to do more attacks before running out of stamina, but will also increase your equip load, meaning you can use heavier armour/weapons without going into Heavy Load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Any fan of the game would do well to stick a pre-order on one of these futurepress guides:

I purchased the Sekiro one on an amazon sale to help get the platinum trophy and they are stunning books - worth it for the artwork and print quality alone. Scalpers tend to buy them up and can cost 250+ if it goes out of print.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

Shameless money grab if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,022 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

From the publishers. Those are simply game map printouts, no new content, nothing creative in there, sold to people who already purchased the game which includes the content of those books. If they want to milk it then it better be with additional content like DLCs, not recycled content sold as new.

Well, at least they don't do NFTs...

They simply are not game map print outs. The Sekiro one I got gave a nice synopsis of all the enemies, NPCs and how to progress their storyline (along with stunning artwork) and the steps needed to get all the endings. A task that would be almost impossible without looking up online. I was always vehemently against guides myself as I felt like they are cheating but for Dark Souls games, unless you pour 1000 hours into them, you simply will not discover everything by yourself.

While I already have 100% in Elden Ring, I'm still getting it as a nice collectible but for anyone looking to get 100%, this would be perfect to have on your lap.

It'd definitely be a "nice to have" as a collectible, but given how things in the game have already been changing through patches (including Patches' own questline and several others getting additional steps), I probably wouldn't use it as an actual guide and would stick to online guides which can be updated and easier to search & link to other pages etc.

You aren't really buying it though as a faq. You're buying it more like an artbook to read through and appreciate. There's more lore and art in it than you'd get at gamefaqs. And the walkthrough info will still be pretty relevant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Art and lore isn't something I'd be interested in, but I would love if there was a book that contained some great, critical writing about the game. There's a beautiful collection of books about Wes Anderson films that are wonderfully designed things from an art perspective that contain some really insightful writing, essays, interviews, insights etc... about the films. Would love to see something like that for the Soulsborne / Elden Ring games rather than just a walkthrough or lore tidbits, as it'd give the reader fresh new perspectives on the game rather than just being a collectible for the shelf or living room table.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I used to buy things like that for the Final Fantasy games VII, VIII, IX and X. I'd only look at them after I completed the game and then become distraught by how little of the the game I had actually played.

Well, in this case, maybe. I still think it's a bit steep for derivative work based on something that was already payed for, but that's just me. They can do much worse, like NFTs and microtransactions, so I won't hold this against them :)

They are officially licensed by Bandai Namco and have access to behind the scenes artwork and lore so it's not exactly derivative...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Does anyone know if Mohgs Shackle is patched? I've just gotten to him now and I've tried using it once three times five times etc before entering the fight nothing works he can still move.

I'm on the latest update can't see any mention online anywhere.

Advertisement