Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Those passenger locator forms as well as testing was also ridiculous, same as quarantine. It would have worked maybe in the early stages of the pandemic, like when cases in Italy were way higher, and in order to flatten the curve. However soon after it was a waste of money and a senseless restriction only causing the aviation industry to suffer further.

The problem was that the virus spread more within communities as via travel, at that later stage. Also countries like Australia or even North Korea couldn't keep the virus out. Vaccination is ultimately the only way.

Also our world and our economy is way to connected to answer the virus with travel restrictions. Maybe quarantine would have worked, in a less connected world economy, back in 1700 or 1800 something, but not today. Any truck driver bringing in food and medical supplies would bring the virus in, and community spreading would see to the rest....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

So did I, till I arrived at Palma airport Mallorca yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

We were asked leaving the airport after collecting bags, they didn't look at mine at all. I opened it on a phone but only flashed the phone at a distance & ushered past. Think she looked closer at my wife's but I wasn't paying much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

It is needed for Spain & so are masks on public transport.

I

There was a post here recently where someone said they had to wear a mask on a flight to Spain but we weren't asked. They warmed us of the masks on public transport & taxis on the bus to our hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Have a flight at 7am Sunday. Planning on checking in bags with AL in T2 the evening before. AL recommended 4.5 - 5hrs leeway before takeoff. Wondering how much I can cut off by checking in bags the night before? Does anyone have experience of what it is like at peak peak times? For example, those queues, are they broken into check-in and security (eg the really long queue outside the airport) or are they one big queue to get into the airport in the first place?

Have fast track pass too.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I have an 8am Ryanair flight on a bank holiday weekend with a bag drop and 2 young kids.

I would bite your hand off if you offered me a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Honestly I know it's only midweek but I know people who've flown out the last 3 days & they've said it seems to be moving much better. Yes there'll be queues but they move along.

I'm flying myself on Friday morning so we'll see then what it's like but from all accounts so far by 3/4am most of the security lanes are open

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Again, nobody can possibly know two weeks in advance.

Two days in advance, you might have some idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I know yeah, I'm just being dramatic!

My wife is adamant we can't go up more than 2.5 hours beforehand, so we'll do that and hope for the best. I might take a Xanax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

My wife is adamant we can't go up more than 2.5 hours beforehand

8am is post first-wave but perhaps this is not the right approach to a start to the holliers !

for info - strips the app times https://twitter.com/DASecurityTimes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Seems that the DAA plan will be that you won't be able to enter the terminal if arriving more than 2.5hrs in advance during busy periods

Here we go with project "Fake Boarding Cards" until we get to a secure zone

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So their solution is...holding pens...so more queues and more people on top of each other...brilliant.

I wonder when it will be implemented.

Due to fly tomorrow morning at 730...aiming to be at airport for 4 (when T2 security opens)...not sure if that best tactic now...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The app appears unable to go over an hour for times, though, so its hard to tell when its accurate or nowhere close.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

However the times do seem better today than they have for quite some time recently, particularly early in the morning.

• These can be verified or spot-checked by hand scanners. A fake boarding card will not check-out. That is, if they are using scanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For transatlantic flights you are told to arrive more than 2.5 hours in advance so something seems amiss there...

Edit... more details here

The operators say at times when the terminals get particularly busy, they will be triaging access to the terminals and only allowing departing passengers into the departures level that have flights departing within two-and-a-half hours to short-haul destinations and three-and-a-half for long-haul destinations. Passengers that arrive too early for their flights will be asked to wait in a passenger holding area, with special consideration being given to those passengers who require special assistance and those Important Flyers travelling with autism.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0601/1302351-airport-committee/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

All we will see is a second horde behind the first , thats not a plan thats handwashing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Fairly easy to set a restriction on the scanners at security to refuse 'early' passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hi,

Can someone define long haul please? Would a four hour flight be classed as long haul?

Thanks

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

And for those of us that didn’t take the medicine a valid recovery cert or antigen test will also suffice to enter Spain.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

If they can properly implement the plan of keeping out passengers with flights more than 2.5/3.5 hours away, then this is a good thing.

What is happening is 5/6 hours worth of passengers are all coming at the same time and then the fears of seeing queues, means people are panicking. You will always have folks hitting security around an hour before their flight, because some of the check in desks can take an absolute age to get through. I've had this when checking a bag in on connecting flights such as KLM and BA. These pax are then joining the others here 5 hours before their 9.30am flight when there will be light queues at 7.30, excpet are in the mix of passengers at say 5.30am at the peak time.

If the DAA guarantee that every passenger will get through with this system, then that will be good.

I do worry about the holding pen and its facilities for passengers...

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Does the 2.5 hours include the time you enter the terminal to drop off bags and check in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Herded into holding pens like cattle.

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

This is 21st century Ireland. We have all the technology and tools for planning and forecasting and this is what's happening. Remember this is a crisis that was flagged months ago.

I would hate to be travelling the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Will this new plan make the situation better or worse ? Remains to be seen, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Luckily people also have technology and tools such as clocks to ensure that if they turn up at the indicated time then they won't need to be in a holding area at all.

• Advertisement

Ah lads ffs come on most people are terrified of not making their holliers - this is scaring them even more. This'll force them to turn up even earlier.

So the answer here is a 2nd queue behind the first. WHAT the FK .

DAA have given NO guarantee that 2.5 hours will guarantee you make your flight ( and its worse for preclearance ) . Therefore everyone will ignore it.

Advertisement